***The Official Columbia Class of 2019 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

iheartteeth7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I thought I'd go ahead and start this one. Good luck to everyone!
:highfive:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is one of my hopeful schools, I love columbia! Good luck everyone!

Just wondering where everyone is from/how do you feel about living in NYC? (TX girl here)

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck everyone! I heard that Columbia really looks at DAT. Is this true?

Well based on their acceptance statistics over the past few years the average overall DAT has ranged from 22-23, possibly the highest in the nation maybe other than Harvard, while the average GPA is only around a 3.5.

Just wondering where everyone is from/how do you feel about living in NYC? (TX girl here)

I'm originally from Jersey, but have lived in NYC for almost 4 years now. It takes some getting used to if you've never lived in a large dense city like NYC before. Subway and bus system is something to take advantage of. And you'll realize everything is so convenient. A lot of my friends from smaller towns have told me that they felt if they didn't actively reach out to other people and make friends, they felt very lonely even among the crowd. You really have to actively search for your niche here. Oh, and the rent here is pretty ridiculous, but if you look hard, you can find some good deals. Overall, I do believe that you have to be pretty independent and proactive to enjoy living here. It might get a bit difficult sometimes, but it will help you mature like no other city would. Don't worry if that doesn't sound like something you can manage, it's a process. You'll get used to it, and soon enough, you'll love NYC and can't imagine living anywhere else. I, for one, love it here, and I'm sure there are many who would say the same.

Reapplicant here- I asked them why I was rejected, the lady told me that they usually don't look at DAT that's below 21 :oops::eek:. Nt sure if that was the case for all but that was the reason for mine.

Would it be unwise to see how I do on my DAT next week before paying the $75 supplemental fee? I've been working very hard studying for the DAT but based on these posts, I feel like it will be a waste of money unless I score a 21 or above.

Would it be unwise to see how I do on my DAT next week before paying the $75 supplemental fee? I've been working very hard studying for the DAT but based on these posts, I feel like it will be a waste of money unless I score a 21 or above.
Waiting one week won't kill your chances. I'd wait until you get your scores, just because it lets you know where you stand.
Scores aren't everything. But Columbia did state during my interview that "scores were just a starting point" you have to be a holistic applicant as well, can't just have great numbers. G/L

Waiting one week won't kill your chances. I'd wait until you get your scores, just because it lets you know where you stand.
Scores aren't everything. But Columbia did state during my interview that "scores were just a starting point" you have to be a holistic applicant as well, can't just have great numbers. G/L

Thank you!!

I heard a rumor that columbia doesn't accept anyone that has a score under 22. If I got a 21 on the RC, but everything else is higher than 22, would I still have a good chance of being accepted. I just don't want to waste my money applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard a rumor that columbia doesn't accept anyone that has a score under 22. If I got a 21 on the RC, but everything else is higher than 22, would I still have a good chance of being accepted. I just don't want to waste my money applying.
U mean on every section?!? :wideyed:

you know what they say about rumors...

They're based in truth?

...or they're completely false!

Try it yourself and you won't regret.

For me, I've got 18s in both PAT and RC though I had 25 in both AA and TS. I got the interview email but declined due to several reasons. What I mean is the whole package matters, not a specific score.

Good luck.

Thanks, I will definitely apply. Yes, I came across a post on SDN where someone called columbia's admissions office, and they said they don't usually accept applicants that have a sub 22 score on any section of the DAT.

did anyone get confirmation that their application is complete from columbia? if so, how long did it take after you submitted?
Thanks!

I've only gotten the email about my supplemental fee being received. (complete app mailed out 7/7)

I've only gotten the email about my supplemental fee being received. (complete app mailed out 7/7)

Did you submit your supplemental fee through check or through the "pay with credit card" link on their admission webpage? Because I tried the link and it kept telling me the webpage is not available..... :(

I received the AADSAS application received email and a separate Supplemental Fee received both on June 27th.

Did you submit your supplemental fee through check or through the "pay with credit card" link on their admission webpage? Because I tried the link and it kept telling me the webpage is not available..... :(
Online card payment.

not necessarily...my average DAT was below the average(21AA/21TS). My GPA was a bit higher than the average though. I think Columbia is one of those places that if you are lacking a bit in DAT, if you can make it up with great EC's, you will be alright. I think that's what saved me.

Where are you guys getting these rumors? I only had two sections that were 22 or over on the DAT.(GC and OC)

not necessarily...my average DAT was below the average(21AA/21TS). My GPA was a bit higher than the average though. I think Columbia is one of those places that if you are lacking a bit in DAT, if you can make it up with great EC's, you will be alright. I think that's what saved me.
I'd say my 19AA is a "do not apply here" score.

Anyone know about any merit scholarships from Columbia?

Last edited:
They do give scholarships, but I think it's so random....

Does anyone know when they will start sending out interview invites?

Okay, so they want 3 science professor letters? I've got two science prof letters, one English and one dentist. I'm on the fence about turning in my secondary application fee to be automatically rejected for being 'incomplete'. NYC probably isn't my calling anyway.

How important is research for Columbia? If I did not do research, would that look very bad even if I have a dat of 25 and a 3.9 GPA?
Been covered before. If research is your thing, great. If it's not, it won't hurt you.

How important is research for Columbia? If I did not do research, would that look very bad even if I have a dat of 25 and a 3.9 GPA?
yep "very bad", like you have no chance...seriously?
You're getting an interview, don't fret. I don't have any research either b/c I'm not going to do something just to check it off my list if I don't really enjoy it or just haven't had the opportunity that fits.

Anyone know about any merit scholarships from Columbia? I'm applying to Penn as well and they have a half tuition dean's scholarship, so that would be hard to compete with if in fact I ended up getting one...
Jumping the gun a lil bit? May need an interview and perhaps an acceptance first!

Jumping the gun a lil bit? May need an interview and perhaps an acceptance first!
Valid point. I'm simply trying to seek out financial aid opportunities of each school I applied to now so that IF I were to get accepted to more than one I would already have done some research about which schools I could actually afford (and if it's worth it to go to an interview). Honestly knowing that penn has a half tuition scholarship that anyone has a chance of receiving played a big part of me applying there. If not I probably wouldn't have.

Does anyone know if having 3 science letters is a must? If yes, do we send the third one (if it was not included in the AADSAS app) directly to the admissions office?

Does anyone know if having 3 science letters is a must? If yes, do we send the third one (if it was not included in the AADSAS app) directly to the admissions office?

The Columbia Dental website says, "Three CONFIDENTIAL letters of recommendation from science professors or one composite letter from a pre-health committee. Additional letters of recommendation from employers or non-science professors will be accepted, but will not satisfy the requirement. Official letters of recommendation are only sent directly to the AADSAS application service."

If your other letters on AADSAS aren't science letters and you would need to send an extra letter from a science prof, I would call them and ask. I can't imagine that they wouldn't let you send the letters to them, but it's best to check with them directly.

did anyone receive any sort of application complete email from Columbia? I've only received an email for the supplemental fee confirmation

did anyone receive any sort of application complete email from Columbia? I've only received an email for the supplemental fee confirmation

the only email i got from them is the supplemental fee confirmation as well..but if u look at adea application website..go to school decision and if your app is complete it should say "received/under review"

every case is different...call them up and ask about the letters of eval. I didn't have 3 science letters of eval. I only had 2. As far as research, No...you do not need to have research experience. Many of the kids in my class didn't do any research.

Received an interview invite today!! First batch!

received my interview invite this afternoon as well!!

Interview invite :D

My first interview invite! Got it via email this morning!