Not open for further replies.
I’m in lol. See y’all next fall ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations all of you guys!

Really liked my interviewer, but I guess my interviewer didn't like me :( lol

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How/when do we find out about scholarships and aid? Should I call them and ask?

Members don't see this ad :)
How/when do we find out about scholarships and aid? Should I call them and ask?
Need based grants will be administered between Mid march - May. You will have committed at this point however so you won't know for sure if you receive them.
For those accepted, you will need to fill out the FAFSA and CSS profile, among a few other things. Visit the CDM financial aid website to view the handbook. However, just doing the FAFSA is sufficient until you are contacted by the school directly

Any of you guys go here for something less lucrative than oms/ortho/peds? And if so, what is the $$$$ plan long term? Everybody military?

Last edited:
Any of you guys go here for something less lucrative than oms/ortho/peds? And if so, what is the $$$$ plan long term? Everybody military?

There's people on HPSP, people on NSHC, people on rarer scholarships, people whose parents are paying out of pocket, and then of course people using loans. I think you'll get a different answer to every person here if you asked that question.

(It is possible to make $$$$ in GP long term btw)

Hey current Columbia peeps - could you guys give us some updated info on Columbia in the thread below? When you have time. :)

Can You Answer These Questions About Your Dental School? (Part 2)

Please answer the questions in the following format. Feel free to expand on your response and skip anything you don't want to answer.

1. Name of Your Dental School

Columbia University College of Dental Medicine

2. Your Year (if you're not comfortable answering that, have you taken Part I of the NBDE?)

1st Year, haven't taken the boards

3. What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week?

Block Schedule - Test at the end of the blocks with occasional "Take Home" test during a block for MM.

4. What is the hardest class? Why?

For 1st semester I personally would say MM, but this depends on who you ask.

5. What is the easiest class? Why?

Dental Anatomy.

6. Are class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors?

Powerpoints, I haven't bought a single textbook.

7. Are traditional (paper) textbooks used or are they electronic? If electronic, do you prefer traditional textbooks?

No Textbooks

8. What is the grading system? Pass/Fail/Honors? Letter Grades? Percentages?

Pass-Fail

9. Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out?

Love my class, everyone helps each other do well.

10. Is there a notetaking service for lecture available?

I think there is for those with a disability. For MM, the main prof post synopses of his lectures that are money for his exams.

11. Is class attendance mandatory?

No for the medical classes, yes for anything dental (Dental Anatomy and Foundations first semester).

12. In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)?

In general yes but I feel like people rely more on classmates/Piazza than asking teachers quesitons in class.

13. What is the drop out rate?

Barring extreme circumstance no one drops out. If I recall the average is like .5-1 person drops every two years or something like that.

14. Are there any resources to help students who are struggling?

Yes if you fail more than one exam they set you up with tutoring/talk to the prof to see how you can do better.

15. What is the % first time board pass rate? What is the average score (if available)?

100%

16. When do you take the NDBE Part 1?

Halfway through D2

17. Does the school offer classes/review sessions to prepare for Part 1?

Not sure on this one but I don't think so?

18. Do you get a block of time off before boards to study? If so, how long? If not, do you have to study simultaneously with classes?

Most take it winter break, some take it during the third semester (first semester of D2).

19. Do most people study in the University Library? Or does the place clear out right after school and everybody studies on their own?

Most study in the VEC or Hammer building. Some others study at home or on Columbia's main campus.

20. Are patients readily available to fulfill clinical requirements or do you have to do a lot of work to get them in?

They are readily avaliable.

21. Is it a hassle to get a chair once you get patients in? In your opinion, does your school have enough chairs?

Brand new clinic and I am a D1 so a lot of this is up in the air but I think we have enough chairs between VC-5,7, and 8 right now. I heard either 7 or 8 is up next to be renovated but that was just hearsay.

22. What are the clinical requirements to graduate? (number of crowns, fillings, etc...) Is it reasonably attainable or pretty difficult?

Not sure on this one, maybe a D3 or D4 can answer?

23. What types of opportunities do students have to explore different specialties?

Can shadow in the respective clinics (I have already done OMFS rounds once which was cool), do rotations as well.

24. Is there sufficient preparation for practice management? What career placement opportunities does your school offer?

I know they have a class or two on it in D3 and D4. Also have foundations classes throughout are time here to become better in interacting with patients from all walks of life.

25. What is the dress code at your school? Scrubs? For what years?

Streetwear for lecture classes. Scrubs and White Coat in the pre-clinic.

26. Is there much camaraderie between students in the same class? Do students generally associate with each other outside of school?

Class is really tight. We have a lot of events/go out together on the weekends. You have people coming from all over the country/world and we are in possibly one of if not the best city on earth, so there is no shortage of stuff to do together.

27. What student organizations are most active?

ASDA, SNDA, HSDA, Jarvie, Mandell OMFS Club

28. What are your opinions on the location of the dental school? Is finding housing an issue? Is safety an issue?

WaHi is what you make of it. The housing is cheaper than almost anywhere else in Manhattan which is awesome. I pay significantly less in rent than my friends downtown for a place that is bigger/newer. On the flip side you are far away from a lot of the action downtown which is actually kind of good since you can focus on school during the week and enjoy NYC proper on the weekends. Downtown is a short 20 minute subway ride on the A away from WaHi. Safety isn't an issue for the most part as Columbia has their own security staff patrol the immediate area. They advise living west of Broadway but I have classmates who live east of Broadway with no issues.

29. What do you not like about your dental school?

Love-hate relationship with the medical curriculum. It's really awesome to get to learn how everything works in the human body, but unless you are going to become an OMFS/do research some of it can be a waste in terms of your career. However, whether I decide to go OMFS or another path I don't regret doing it.

30. Any last words or advice?

Don't decide to come here for the name. I could have cared less about the name when I decided to come here. I choose to come here because of the amazing faculty/staff, a pro-student culture that understands there is more to learning than the letter on your report card, a dean who is forward thinking and pushing the school to the cutting edge, brand new facilities, a student body that feels like a family, and to be able to have the opportunity to be a team-player AND reach my desired speciality.

If anyone has any more quesitons, PM me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Just got my acceptance email today! 3:59 EST!

Reactions: 2 users
Haha I have no idea, even then from what I’ve heard from the people in your class/the D3’s and D4’s the vast majority of people haven’t had that many issues.

That's true, most people definitely do fine - I was just surprised to see that since the pass rate definitely isn't 100% anymore.

That's true, most people definitely do fine - I was just surprised to see that since the pass rate definitely isn't 100% anymore.

Well if 2015 was the last year it was 100% there’s only been one class since that’s taken it fully? Since I know not everyone in your class has taken it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Well if 2015 was the last year it was 100% there’s only been one class since that’s taken it fully? Since I know not everyone in your class has taken it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The class years they list are based on graduation year, so technically the 2016 and 2017 classes have already graduated with no data from them, and the current D3's and D4's (2018 and 2019) have also taken it.

Last edited:
Please answer the questions in the following format. Feel free to expand on your response and skip anything you don't want to answer.

1. Name of Your Dental School

Columbia University College of Dental Medicine

2. Your Year (if you're not comfortable answering that, have you taken Part I of the NBDE?)

1st Year, haven't taken the boards

3. What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week?

Block Schedule - Test at the end of the blocks with occasional "Take Home" test during a block for MM.

4. What is the hardest class? Why?

For 1st semester I personally would say MM, but this depends on who you ask.

5. What is the easiest class? Why?

Dental Anatomy.

6. Are class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors?

Powerpoints, I haven't bought a single textbook.

7. Are traditional (paper) textbooks used or are they electronic? If electronic, do you prefer traditional textbooks?

No Textbooks

Pass-Fail

9. Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out?

Love my class, everyone helps each other do well.

10. Is there a notetaking service for lecture available?

I think there is for those with a disability. For MM, the main prof post Synopses of his lectures that are money for his exams.

11. Is class attendance mandatory?

No for the medical classes, yes for anything dental (Dental Anatomy and Foundations first semester).

12. In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)?

In general yes but I feel like people rely more on classmates/Piazza than asking teachers quesitons in class.

13. What is the drop out rate?

Barring extreme circumstance no one drops out. If I recall the average is like .5-1 person drops every two years or something like that.

14. Are there any resources to help students who are struggling?

Yes if you fail more than one exam they set you up with tutoring/talk to the prof to see how you can do better.

15. What is the % first time board pass rate? What is the average score (if available)?

100%

16. When do you take the NDBE Part 1?

Halfway through D2

17. Does the school offer classes/review sessions to prepare for Part 1?

Not sure on this one but I don't think so?

18. Do you get a block of time off before boards to study? If so, how long? If not, do you have to study simultaneously with classes?

Most take it winter break, some take it during the third semester (first semester of D2).

19. Do most people study in the University Library? Or does the place clear out right after school and everybody studies on their own?

Most study in the VEC or Hammer building. Some others study at home or on Columbia's main campus.

20. Are patients readily available to fulfill clinical requirements or do you have to do a lot of work to get them in?

They are readily avaliable.

21. Is it a hassle to get a chair once you get patients in? In your opinion, does your school have enough chairs?

Brand new clinic and I am a D1 so a lot of this is up int he air but I thin we have enough chairs between VC-5,7, and 8 right now. I heard either 7 or 8 is up next to be renovated but that was just hearsay.

22. What are the clinical requirements to graduate? (number of crowns, fillings, etc...) Is it reasonably attainable or pretty difficult?

Not sure on this one, maybe a D3 or D4 can answer?

23. What types of opportunities do students have to explore different specialties?

Can shadow in the respective clinics (I have already done OMFS rounds once which was cool), do rotations as well.

24. Is there sufficient preparation for practice management? What career placement opportunities does your school offer?

I know they have a class or two on it in D3 and D4. Also have foundations classes throughout are time here to become better in interacting with patients from all walks of life.

25. What is the dress code at your school? Scrubs? For what years?

Streetwear for lecture classes. Scrubs and White Coat in the pre-clinic.

26. Is there much camaraderie between students in the same class? Do students generally associate with each other outside of school?

Class is really tight. We have a lot of events/go out together on the weekends. You have people coming from all over the country/world and we are in possibly one of if not the best city on earth, so there is no shortage of stuff to do together.

27. What student organizations are most active?

ASDA, SNDA, HSDA, Jarvie, Mandell OMFS Club

28. What are your opinions on the location of the dental school? Is finding housing an issue? Is safety an issue?

WaHi is what you make of it. The housing is cheaper than almost anywhere else in Manhattan which is awesome. I pay significantly less in rent than my friends downtown for a place that is bigger/newer. On the flip side you are far away from a lot of the action downtown which is actually kind of good since you can focus on school during the week and enjoy NYC proper on the weekends. Downtown is a short 20 minute subway ride on the A away from WaHi. Safety isn't an issue for the most part as Columbia has their own security staff patrol the immediate area. They advise living west of Broadway but I have classmates who live east of Broadway with no issues.

29. What do you not like about your dental school?

Love-hate relationship with the medical curriculum. It's really awesome to get to learn how everything works in the human body, but unless you are going to become an OMFS/do research some of it can be a waste in terms of your career. However, whether I decide to go OMFS or another path I don't regret doing it.

30. Any last words or advice?

Don't decide to come here for the name. I could have cared less about the name when I decided to come here. I choose to come here because of the amazing faculty/staff, a pro-student culture that understands there is more to learning than letter on your report card, a dean who is forward thinking and pushing the school to the cutting edge, brand new facilities, a student body that feels like a family, and to be able to have the opportunity to be a team-player AND reach my desired speciality.

If anyone has any more quesitons, PM me.

This is so helpful!! Thank you! If there are any other current students on here do you mind adding on as well?

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know when the next round of acceptances starts?

Pass-Fail

Are the classes P/F for both first and second year? What about third and fourth years?
Thanks

Are the classes P/F for both first and second year? What about third and fourth years?
Thanks
Pure Pass/Fail for definitely the first 2 semesters, likely the first 3. I think they have honors for the clinic and likely the later classes.

The curriculum has been constantly changing over the years so there is no way to know for sure until we experience it

Planning my trip to Columbia right now.

For hotel, Where did you guys stay?
Also, is la guardia really terrible like the reviews say?
Is uber the only way to get from airport to NYC? Cause I kinda want to save money

Would appreciate help since I'm new to NYC area :)

Is uber the only way to get from airport to NYC? Cause I kinda want to save money

Congrats on getting an interview, when did you receive the invite?
Yes la guardia is terrible like the reviews say.
Uber is the most convenient but if you want to save money you can book a NYCAirporter bus, its $15 to Grand Central, and then you can take the subway to wherever your hotel is.
I don't really know about hotels since I live in manhattan

I stayed on 35th and 7th! I thought it was perfect because you have access to Penn Station which will get you basically anywhere in NYC via subway (even JFK and Newark)! My suggestion is to stay where the subways 1, A, and C are serviced because those lead directly to New York Pres. If i were you, choose a hotel along the A/C line because you can hop on the express train and you can get to Columbia within 15 mins! (If you look at the transit map for subways, the stops that service express trains have white dots). I think it will help to stay anywhere on the western side of Manhattan because its easier and faster to get to your interview with minimal transfers (you don't want to risk anything esp so early in the morning). The hotels in Southern Manhattan were expensive but i paid it because I also wanted to explore the city as it was my first time! If you're trying to explore, it could help to stay closer to the lower side of Manhattan because it's where all the touristy stuff is. If not, staying further north will be cheaper.
Hope this helps! Good Luck!

Uber is the most convenient but if you want to save money you can book a NYCAirporter bus, its $15 to Grand Central, and then you can take the subway to wherever your hotel is.
I got it back in November.

I stayed across the bridge in Fort Lee but the uber can get pricey, you can stay somewhere in Manhattan and take the subway to campus.

I would fly to Newark over flying to Laguardia.

You can uber from Laguardia to the closest subway station and subway the rest of the way.

If you do take LaGuardia and don't want Uber because of the price, I took the airport shuttle to where the Manhattan bus stops (I think was either in C or D it was a while ago lol) which was a ~1 hour ride and then dropped me at a train station that I took north. Costed me only ~$4. Also have you thought about an AirBnb ? I used it and stayed 2 nights and it cost me a total of ~$90 (compared to a hotel which is $150 a night). Plus it was only a 10-minute walk from the dental school which was great. I just looked for a host with a fair price and good reviews. It was my first time using it and I will definitely be using it again.

Thanks for your advice. :)

I heard that area around Columbia dental is kinda unsafe? It would be in my best interest to not linger around that area too much after my interview is done right?

Is area around time square, penn station, Empire State Building much safer? Trying to find a safe area to stay in :)

I heard that area around Columbia dental is kinda unsafe? It would be in my best interest to not linger around that area too much after my interview is done right?

Is area around time square, penn station, Empire State Building much safer? Trying to find a safe area to stay in :)
It's not unsafe. You can google the crime map on NYC's website.
WaHi is pretty close to Harlem so maybe that's why you heard what you heard. If you go down into Harlem, it's still not "unsafe" as long as you mind your own business.

the area isn't really unsafe and it definitely should be fine if you want to check out the surrounding area after your interview, but there isn't really much to do there, so if you're looking to explore the city I would definitely stay in the midtown area as there's much more going on and much on people on the streets, and a lot of great places to eat.

Does anyone know when Columbia is expected to get back to people who interview in December?
Have deposit deadlines coming up so hoping I won't have to make multiple deposits.

Does anyone know when Columbia is expected to get back to people who interview in December?
Have deposit deadlines coming up so hoping I won't have to make multiple deposits.

Never mind, I was told it is first or second week of January.

Got in December 1. See you guys there in 2018. Already updated my signature. I really hope my best friend gets into Columbia's med school or NYU, we could get an apartment.

Couple questions:
1. Anyone know about opportunities to get involved with the school before matriculation? Research, externships, volunteer opportunities?

2. Anyone know of apartments less than $1000/month in Washington Heights near the school?

1. Anyone know about opportunities to get involved with the school before matriculation? Research, externships, volunteer opportunities?

There will be a talent show in March-April where you can come and meet some of your class members/upper years. Also, I think there will be the Dígame program again the week before orientation if you want to get involved with that.

In regards to research, not sure if you could do it before coming here but you could shoot an email to Sandi about it and i'm sure she could help point you in the right direction.

2. Anyone know of apartments less than $1000/month in Washington Heights near the school?

Assuming you don't want to live in Bard for this then you'll have to live on the east side of Broadway. Have a friend who lives off of 171st and Amsterdam and they pay less than $1000 per month. Think it's $1800 for the both of them.

Got in December 1. See you guys there in 2018. Already updated my signature. I really hope my best friend gets into Columbia's med school or NYU, we could get an apartment.

Couple questions:

Re: #1, why? Just enjoy your summer off, you will need the break. As far as recreational ways, the talent show in the spring and the Digame program are highly recommended. That's how I met my lovely colleague @wengerout ;)

Re: #2, I know you want the cheapest rent, but your best bet would be to get a room in Towers 1, 2, or 3. I pay 1100 a month rent and get a huge bedroom and it is right next to the lecture building

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know how much the first and second deposits are?

Status
Not open for further replies.