*** The Official LECOM Dental Class of 2018 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

I think at the interview we were told they would send out approximately 500 invites, and 100 acceptances on dec 2. But LECOM knows they're few people's top choice and will surely have to send out more than 100 acceptances over the long haul. This is pure speculation, but I think being on the waitlist here means something very different, in terms of your chances of admittance, than being on the waitlist at your state school.

I agree. Their acceptance line up will progress much quicker than most other schools because most people consider them a back up. It is also probably why their fee to secure your seat is high compared to other schools ($2500 if I remember correctly).

Members don't see this ad.

My application status for the LECOM portal still says that my application is under review and I will be notified when updates are made. It has been like this for a month now and I haven't heard anything. How often do they update their admissions portal?

Yeah that school designations page is wacksauce. Lecom doesn't even show up on mine at all, but I still get emails from them about application progress / interview. I think its preference of the school if they choose to keep their applicants updated via ADEA versus their own portal.

Yea I'm talking about LECOM's application portal (they provide you a username and password in an email after you submit their supplemental to see the progress of your application) not AADSAS. I have yet to receive any other email/update since I submitted my supplemental a month ago. Does this mean a silent rejection or what?

I don't think it's a silent rejection because I thought I saw on this site that some have already been rejected from LECOM (I believe it was LECOM but I can't say 100% sure). Seems to me that your app is still under review. Maybe you should call them to see if there's any updates or if something in your app is missing and holding the process up? :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it's a silent rejection because I thought I saw on this site that some have already been rejected from LECOM (I believe it was LECOM but I can't say 100% sure). Seems to me that your app is still under review. Maybe you should call them to see if there's any updates or if something in your app is missing and holding the process up? :luck:

My application is still missing biochem as a prereq and its stated that my application is technically incomplete, but I still got an interview, so I don't think lacking coursework will hold up your application.

My application is still missing biochem as a prereq and its stated that my application is technically incomplete, but I still got an interview, so I don't think lacking coursework will hold up your application.

While I agree with this, it may depend on what part you're missing. You might have Biochem in your 'planned coursework' section of AADSAS whereas, say someone's missing a committee letter, they have nothing to go off of. Just a thought and either way you get to talk to someone involved in the process and this might bring attention to your application that it otherwise wouldn't have. Worth a try!

I think at the interview we were told they would send out approximately 500 invites, and 100 acceptances on dec 2. But LECOM knows they're few people's top choice and will surely have to send out more than 100 acceptances over the long haul. This is pure speculation, but I think being on the waitlist here means something very different, in terms of your chances of admittance, than being on the waitlist at your state school.

Hey Free-

Do you know if the "500 invites" is the total number of interviews for the cycle or just pre-Dec invites?

Hey Free-

Do you know if the "500 invites" is the total number of interviews for the cycle or just pre-Dec invites?

My guess would be total. 500 sounds pretty typical of most dental schools, i know for sure its a little under 500 for Maryland where i'm from. The adcom director told us herself during my interview there. And it makes sense seeing that Detroit only accepted 140 applicants last year. They interviewed roughly 350.

I don't think they dissected the process with this much precision for us, but I'd also guess the 500 is total.

Haha alright, thanks for the information! :)

They said they are awaiting final grades from me, what is that supposed to mean? I have slightly above average stats btw. :confused:

Just received an email from LECOM and checked the portal.

It says, "The admissions committee requests all letters of recommendation before making a decision on your file."

I have all of the letters posted on ADEA? I don't understand what they mean by this. I have a dentist and two science professor LOR's on my AADSAS.

Anyone have info?

It says, "The admissions committee requests all letters of recommendation before making a decision on your file."

I have all of the letters posted on ADEA? I don't understand what they mean by this. I have a dentist and two science professor LOR's on my AADSAS.

Anyone have info?

I'd prob just give them a call and ask them about it.

I'd prob just give them a call and ask them about it.

Yeah, I just got a weird status update as well. Called but had to leave a message.

The Admissions Committee requests a transcript with final grades from all courses.

What does this mean? Academic Update? Has anyone else gotten this status?

Members don't see this ad :)

Anyone have info?

Are the science professor letters from science professors that you have taken a science course with, and have a posted grade from them on your transcript?!

Yeah, I just got a weird status update as well. Called but had to leave a message.

The Admissions Committee requests a transcript with final grades from all courses.

I called them and apparently mistakes are being made. The secretary went onto my account and found that I did indeed have my DAT scores and letters of rec. So she changed them back to complete.

I don't know why this happened.

I called them and apparently mistakes are being made. The secretary went onto my account and found that I did indeed have my DAT scores and letters of rec. So she changed them back to complete.

I don't know why this happened.

Thanks for the update. I called and left a message. I guess I'll need to wait till monday to get an answer.

My admissions tab in the portal disappeared..is this a glitch in their portal or is this a rejection?

So this is just a blanked statement I spoke to the LECOM Admin today and thats what she explained to me.

just got an interview invite for 12/12

Received an email stating that they have processed my supp app and provided me with a username and password. Is this a sign for an interview? Or am I looking into it to much lol

Received an email stating that they have processed my supp app and provided me with a username and password. Is this a sign for an interview? Or am I looking into it to much lol

Just keep waiting...your portal will update if and when you get an invite. Good luck to you :)

Just got my interview invite today!

Just received an interview invite!! Its post-Dec but still exciting! This is my second one!

Congrats bimmer & crystalsmiles! :)

What does it mean if the portal shows the message that they are waiting on your final grades and transcript?

I have my interview Nov 7th... Please whisper me if you want to share a car, or if you can give me a ride...I will play! lol

For those who had their interview, can you please describe how it was, and what kind of questions they asked? Thanks!

It's a group interview, so it's a little strange, but the questions they ask are pretty standard.

Hey guys couple questions about LECOM. Does this school give number/letter grades or is it pass fail? I heard its pass fail? If its pass/fail what happens to the students who want to pursue a specialty, like OMFS? Or DO/DMD program? Thanks for your insight

Hey guys couple questions about LECOM. Does this school give number/letter grades or is it pass fail? I heard its pass fail? If its pass/fail what happens to the students who want to pursue a specialty, like OMFS? Or DO/DMD program? Thanks for your insight

Yes, it's pass/fail. They do, however, keep your grades on file in case you decide to apply for post-doctoral training.

Yes, it's pass/fail. They do, however, keep your grades on file in case you decide to apply for post-doctoral training.
Oh really? Awesome... Do you think since the school is still kind of new, they would translation eventually towards the number/letter grades?

Oh really? Awesome... Do you think since the school is still kind of new, they would translation eventually towards the number/letter grades?

None of us here on the forum, at least us pre-dents, know this. When I previously interviewed at the school I know the dean was VERY adamant that most if not all of LECOM Dental's students will look to become general dentists. He did briefly mention that if you're absolutely set on specializing then your grades could be released. I think a reason they're focused on making their students general dentists is because that's how the curriculum is set up but also because they ARE such a new school and don't have an established reputation as of yet. (However, my idea of how one specializes has changed since I've talked to dentists and members of admissions committees from several schools... basically to where it doesn't matter as much as you'd think about what school you go to, but more-so the relationships you establish, etc).

None of us here on the forum, at least us pre-dents, know this. When I previously interviewed at the school I know the dean was VERY adamant that most if not all of LECOM Dental's students will look to become general dentists. He did briefly mention that if you're absolutely set on specializing then your grades could be released. I think a reason they're focused on making their students general dentists is because that's how the curriculum is set up but also because they ARE such a new school and don't have an established reputation as of yet. (However, my idea of how one specializes has changed since I've talked to dentists and members of admissions committees from several schools... basically to where it doesn't matter as much as you'd think about what school you go to, but more-so the relationships you establish, etc).
Thank you for your response! So do you think if Lecom is the only school you get into (hypothetically speaking) you do great and get straight "A's" do you think it will be harder to specialize or will it be doable after getting your DDS from LECOM?

Thank you for your response! So do you think if Lecom is the only school you get into (hypothetically speaking) you do great and get straight "A's" do you think it will be harder to specialize or will it be doable after getting your DDS from LECOM?

I think it's certainly an option to specialize after getting the DMD from LECOM. From what I've been told by several dentists that have specialized- a lot of it has to do with relationships you form from various rotations, internships, etc and those help determine if you'll be selected for any specialty you choose. With that said, the pass/fail grading system at LECOM doesn't provide your actual letter/number grades, and I'm not sure if it'll be much of a hassle or not actually finding those grades and getting the dean or someone to sign off on them. I'm not sure how that'd work and like I said, it seems as though their primary goal is making you a general dentist. In the end, I believe you'll be able to accomplish your dental goals at ANY dental school in the US or Canada because they all have very high standards! :p

And also, obviously this is just my opinion, so take it as that!

I'm there on the 6th at 1 pm... if anyone wants to give me a ride to a car rental :oops:
or share some rides... msg me :rolleyes:

Just flew into tampa for the interview tomorrow. If anyone wants to meet up and grab some drinks or something message! 4846293164

Those who are interviewing tomorrow- let me know if you want to hang out and practice interviews (maybe). PM me!

Anyone going on the 11th this month??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

I just interviewed about a week ago. They did mention and explain the whole accreditation process and how they see no reason why they wouldn't get accredited; they pretty much guaranteed accreditation. However, did anyone catch what Dr. Hirsch's presentation said about it and where they are in the process?

Did anyone get this on AADSAS portal yesterday "Application is complete and awaiting review by committee" ? Thank you

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone get this on AADSAS portal yesterday "Application is complete and awaiting review by committee" ? Thank you
Yeah i got that. What's up with that? I thought they didn't use AADSAS!?

LECOM has never shown up on my AADSAS. Before I had my interview, my LECOM portal said something like "Application is complete and awaiting review by committee". When I get the interview, it changed to "Invited for Interview". After interview, it went back to that awaiting review status.

Let's not read too much into these mass status changes.

Reactions: 1 user