*-*-* The Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2011 *-*-*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Everyday spent waiting for another interview invite feels like a soul crushing experience... so far I have gone to one interview at TCOM and although i liked it there I would really like to have the chance to see my #1 choice school UTHSCSA and A&M or UTMB, but jeez this wait is killing me, although I was transmitted at a decent time, Aug 24th (late due to waiting to take the MCAT, I was originally signed up to take it in May but got there and found out my license had just expired so had to wait to get a new one and wait for a new test date!!), and decent scores 28O MCAT and 3.7 GPA, while also being a nontrad with 5 years of being in the Army, various leadership positions and all sorts of other life experiences, I find myself still with only the one invite...
I also applied to Michigan schools due to my wife being from there and wanting to move back, but its a long shot since they look for OOS applicants that are relatively competitive... but I wont even hear back from MI schools till March at the latest...
anyways, had to rant and get it off my chest, I know alot of other people on here are going through the same thing as me, but it sux seeing all these other applicants with 5 or 6 interviews and wanting "one more"!
good luck to everyone, and me, lol

I feel ya thitchcock. I have the same stats as you too. But with your unique EC's and story, just hang in there, I'm sure something good will come your way! :)

I want just one more too. :( But I was transmitted waaay back.

Members don't see this ad.

I feel ya thitchcock. I have the same stats as you too. But with your unique EC's and story, just hang in there, I'm sure something good will come your way! :)

I want just one more too. :( But I was transmitted waaay back.

who have you heard back from so far?

Members don't see this ad :)
There's not one, but the potential for three! One of them is the normal PS, so you could use your AMCAS one, and then they give you two optional ones: hardship or unusual circumstances, and then anything else you want to mention, which might be perfect for your "Why I <3 TX even though I am from TX's enemy (lately), California" essay.

nvm...

Last edited:
just curious about the people who are worried about getting interviews...

are you guys texas residents? and did you only apply to tmdsas schools?

Transmitted 9/21 and still no MD interviews. All UT schools have received my completed application when I called them to ask, but I never received any email confirmations from any of them. Is this happening to anyone else? They said they send out the email confirmations in bulk and maybe slipped mine, but this can't be happening for all schools. I use gmail for my application email. Most of my friends received emails from UTMB, UTSA, and UTSW immediately when their applications were received, but somehow I didn't get any. The only two email confirmations I received were from El Paso and TCOM. This truly makes me nervous because what if a school decides to send me an invitation and I wasn't able to receive it?

How long after transmission do you usually receive interview invites? It has been over a month already. MCAT 31Q GPA 3.8.

Should I think about reapplying next year? :scared:

Thanks. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Same thing happened to me. I only received a email from UT San Antonio. I'm also a little worried bc as i said i transmitted 9/30 with the same stats as you and have only received one interview at UTSW

just curious about the people who are worried about getting interviews...

are you guys texas residents? and did you only apply to tmdsas schools?

ya Im a TX resident and and applied to TX and Michigan schools

So who usually gets pre-matched?

Is it the students usually with the best numbers, or is it for those applicants they really liked, regardless of numbers, and those who they think would for sure go there?

So who usually gets pre-matched?

Is it the students usually with the best numbers, or is it for those applicants they really liked, regardless of numbers, and those who they think would for sure go there?

I'm pretty sure it's the ones that they really like and really want at their school. I was at El Paso and they said they usually prematch about 30% of their spots, which will be about 24 this go around. Some people said Houston does about 10%, which will be about the same as El Paso then.

Only 15 more days!

I also heard that El Paso accepts like 30% during prematch. But as I quistioned the dean of admissions further during my interview there, he said that if you are interviewed before November, you can expect to hear acceptance with in the first week after November 15. If you don't hear anything then, then it might be a rejection.
I wish I had a time machine, so I can jump forward two weeks.:boom:

I also heard that El Paso accepts like 30% during prematch. But as I quistioned the dean of admissions further during my interview there, he said that if you are interviewed before November, you can expect to hear acceptance with in the first week after November 15. If you don't hear anything then, then it might be a rejection.
I wonder if he mean't that they end up with 30% of their prematches actually matriculating. I think I saw in last years thread that they sent out way more than their full class worth of prematches.

Not getting an acceptance the first week after November is not a rejection from anyone. Nobody is rejected, per se, until after match. MANY people who don't get a pre-match from the school they like or don't get a pre-match at all will still end up going starting med school next year. What he probably meant was that if you interviewed before November and didn't get a pre-match from their school in the first batch of offers they sent out, that you would have to wait until match-ranking and see what happened then.

I don't know for sure, but it seems like it's been that way at most schools the past 3 years when I've watched this process carefully. The first batch of pre-matches is the largest and from then on out it's just a random few from later interviews. This doesn't mean earlier interviewees NEVER get a later pre-match, but it does seem like a trend.

However, there are many successful medical students at schools that they really wanted to go to who didn't get a pre-match at all, so don't freak out!

I wonder if he mean't that they end up with 30% of their prematches actually matriculating. I think I saw in last years thread that they sent out way more than their full class worth of prematches.

When schools say "30% are prematches" most usually mean that 30% of their class starting in July comes from pre-matches. So, El Paso will likely pre-match far more than the number of seats that would make up 30% of their class to make up for people with multiple pre-matches and those who rank others higher in the match. And you are right, many more pre-matches have gone out the past 2 years from El Paso than their class size.

I'm a little late in the process. My application didn't transmit until 10-25-10. I am receiving emails that my application is under review from a few schools. What are the chances this late in the game in receiving and interview request?

I'm trying to remain positive. All things considered, I don't think my application would have been as good had I rushed it through in May. I had to pull up a section (verbal) on my MCAT first. I achieved that in July.

When seems to be the latest date prospective student are informed about an interview request?

From what I have read on here, it may be about 3 weeks after I transmitted, but since I'm later than most, is 3 weeks too late since December interviews are already scheduled?

anyone else file this late?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a little late in the process. My application didn't transmit until 10-25-10.

Unfortunately, Texas schools finish interviewing earlier. Theres no telling if you will get an interview in the time that remains, just be patient.

Did you apply to any OOS schools through AMCAS? If you did, you might have a better chance with those schools, assuming they take oos'ers. I just interviewed at Loyola and it's still supposedly "early" for them. They keep interviewing until like April.

Last edited:
If you don't get an interview invite before Nov 15th, does that mean there's no hope of getting accepted to that particular school? I've been waiting for nearly 2 months after my TMDSAS was transmitted. Or does the process usually take this long towards the end of the application process? Mine was submitted in August.
Someone on here said they interviewed at one school in December and was accepted via the match.

Is it correct to assume most Texas schools will interview at the latest Mid-December and therefore extrapolate that if they give ~2 week notice that most interviews will end at the end of November?

Is it correct to assume most Texas schools will interview at the latest Mid-December and therefore extrapolate that if they give ~2 week notice that most interviews will end at the end of November?

That would be my guess... I'm thinking the last week of November will be the end of interviews for most Texas schools. Though a few (maybe one) has done early January interviews in the past.

I know UTSW is doing the first week of January, I was told at El Paso they'll do the first week of January as well. And I might have seen on another website that they'll do Jan aswell, although I can't remember which one. From what I've seen, some schools send out invites a month in advance and some around 2 weeks.

If I don't hear anything by December 3rd, I'm going to assume no more are coming from the TMDSAS schools.

UTHSC SA interviews all the way till Dec 20th and I havent seen anyone posting any invites for that late yet so I guess we have a while to go still. An MS1 told me on a different board that he got multiple interview invites toward the end of Nov for mid Dec and to not worry, there is still time and he still got accepted to TX schools with interviews that late....
Im giving myself till Dec 7th, if I don't hear anything else by then, then I guess I'm done interviewing in-state....
the other schools Im applying to (all in MI) interview all the way into March, so I have even more waiting to go for OOS interviews...
patience, Daniel-san
lol

UTHSC SA interviews all the way till Dec 20th and I havent seen anyone posting any invites for that late yet so I guess we have a while to go still. An MS1 told me on a different board that he got multiple interview invites toward the end of Nov for mid Dec and to not worry, there is still time and he still got accepted to TX schools with interviews that late....
Im giving myself till Dec 7th, if I don't hear anything else by then, then I guess I'm done interviewing in-state....
the other schools Im applying to (all in MI) interview all the way into March, so I have even more waiting to go for OOS interviews...
patience, Daniel-san
lol

Haha. Nice.

If I interviewed November 1st and November 5th, will I be equally like to hear back from prematch as anybody else, or would I have to wait to find out? I don't have the red bar to click and rank the schools I've interviewed at, anybody know how long that usually takes?

If I interviewed November 1st and November 5th, will I be equally like to hear back from prematch as anybody else, or would I have to wait to find out? I don't have the red bar to click and rank the schools I've interviewed at, anybody know how long that usually takes?

Yes, you can technically interview any day and get "prematched" as long as it's before Dec 31. Since you interviewed a decent amount of time before Nov 15, you may very well hear from them early. Your chances are apparently better for this to occur since they supposedly give out a majority of their prematches up front. They say it can take about a week for the schools to be added to the school preference rank list, so your schools should be on there at this point. Everyone should be able to click somewhere to see theirs as well. If you can't see yours and you're concerned, contact TMDSAS directly and tell them what you're experiencing. My suggestion to you is try to get some sleep. Good luck.

Does anyone know when they send prematches out on the 15th?

Last year San Antonio and UTSW sent them almost right at noon. UTMB had some technical difficulties so they sent them later in the afternoon. Best thing to do is watch the forums. People will for sure post when the acceptances start coming.

How do they send pre-match offers? Is it through the TMDSAS website?

Can't wait! interviewed so many places, someplace has to say yes, I just want to know I can go to medical school somewhere

Do any schools do midnight notifications, or is it not worth staying up late? I heard from someone that they got their first at 5:00 AM (when I wake up for work), so I'm not going to bother-- that said, if my top choice wants to call me at midnight and let me know, I'd be okay with that.

Do any schools do midnight notifications, or is it not worth staying up late? I heard from someone that they got their first at 5:00 AM (when I wake up for work), so I'm not going to bother-- that said, if my top choice wants to call me at midnight and let me know, I'd be okay with that.
I'd say just go to sleep (if you can), and wait till the morning. I heard some places won't send emails till mid day.

I'd say just go to sleep (if you can), and wait till the morning. I heard some places won't send emails till mid day.

Yeah, I saw someone explain this a couple posts above. Reading is fundamental. I'm going for a long run today and didn't get much sleep last night, so hopefully it won't be a problem.

I'm betting that tomorrow will be anticlimactic for me-- won't hear from either of my top two choices, but if I get in anywhere in Texas, I'll be happy and can withdraw my OOS applications and cancel a couple interviews. :)

from what I've read on school specific forums, I know for sure that UTH, San Antonio, Tech El Paso, and TCOM have prematched certain lucky individuals and notified them. :xf::xf::xf:

Hey guys,
I have prematch offers to Lubbock and San Antonio, but I still have interviews scheduled for Dec 3 and Dec 4 (Houston and UTSW). Lubbock and San Antonio want to know whether I accept or decline my offers by Nov 31. I want to hold on to one or both offers so that I have a guaranteed seat in a med school class, but I really want to go to Houston or UTSW. Will accepting a prematch offer from either school and filling out all their paperwork obligate me to attend the school? Can I still reject them later on? Im really confused as to what accepting a prematch offer entails. Any information is appreciated!

Hey guys,
I have prematch offers to Lubbock and San Antonio, but I still have interviews scheduled for Dec 3 and Dec 4 (Houston and UTSW). Lubbock and San Antonio want to know whether I accept or decline my offers by Nov 31. I want to hold on to one or both offers so that I have a guaranteed seat in a med school class, but I really want to go to Houston or UTSW. Will accepting a prematch offer from either school and filling out all their paperwork obligate me to attend the school? Can I still reject them later on? Im really confused as to what accepting a prematch offer entails. Any information is appreciated!

You can accept them and just change your mind in the match... If you accept them, and then rate UTSW or UTH higher, and match at either of these schools in February that would decline you automatically from the schools you prematched at. It saves you the trouble of calling them and formally withdrawing your acceptance too since TMDSAS/the match will do this for you... But I would like to say, as someone who did not get a prematch yesterday... Please do not hold on to all of your acceptances just because you can. You would want someone to do the same I am sure :)

My advice is to hold on to the acceptance that you want the most, decline the other... Then at the match go ahead and rate the school you want the most as #1 and hope to match to it. It would be silly to hold on to the UTHSCSA and Tech acceptance if you can already decide on which one you want the most now. Also, it would be better to let that school know now rather than get both acceptance packets and fill out all of the paperwork on both schools when you know you would drop one for the other right now.

Last edited:
Are the MD schools still sending out interview invitations? Is there still hope?

Someone posted that they received an invite today for a relatively early December interview and I know some of the schools are interviewing into early January. I'd say there's still hope.

Hey guys,

Thanks for asking, I was wondering the same thing. Really waiting to hear back from UTSW/Baylor.

Also, are you sure UTHSCSA wants to hear back by the 31st of November? I was just accepted today and there's nothing about that in the email I received. I'm out of town until the 5th of December. D:

Should I call them?

You can accept multiple prematch offers during prematch period by filling out their acceptance forms and sending them back usually within two weeks of being accepted. The prematch period between nov 15 to dec jan 15 is basically time for you to ruminate on how you will rank these schools, so take advantage of that. Accept all spots and don't give up any until you are 110% sure of your choice--take second look, talk to med students and residents.

Hey all! tried to start a new thread, but i had no luck w/ responses. haha, so i'm moving it over here. =P

Just wanted to ask what everyone's thoughts are about the different schools, and why you would personally rank one above the others?
I'm especially caught between A&M and UTHSCSA, but input about any of the schools would probably be valuable =). thanks!

UTHSCSA curriculum is traditional, have to stay in class all day, moving towards research. TxA&M is more intergrated, better facilities, smaller classes. Both have top 15 teaching hospitals (S&W vs UTSA county hosp). It seems that UTSA might be little more uptight & prestiged. TA&M wins if u don't care about name as much.

UTHSCSA curriculum is traditional, have to stay in class all day, moving towards research. TxA&M is more intergrated, better facilities, smaller classes. Both have top 15 teaching hospitals (S&W vs UTSA county hosp). It seems that UTSA might be little more uptight & prestiged. TA&M wins if u don't care about name as much.
I'd go with the integrated curriculum. As long as you're ok with College Station, which I personally like, then I think A&M is underrated.

Quick question for everyone:

Will ADcoms look favorably on a rec letter coming directly in to the schools that I interviewed at this late in the process? Had an opportunity to get one from I doc I shadowed a while ago and he offered to write me one as we got to talking about this whole process, and thought it may come in handy in case I had to do this dang process again.

Is it cool to send it now? The doc was nice enough to email me a copy (without any prompting) so I know how beneficial it could be. But I dont want to send it if they are gonna trash it.

thanks in advance for any advice

Quick question for everyone:

Will ADcoms look favorably on a rec letter coming directly in to the schools that I interviewed at this late in the process? Had an opportunity to get one from I doc I shadowed a while ago and he offered to write me one as we got to talking about this whole process, and thought it may come in handy in case I had to do this dang process again.

Is it cool to send it now? The doc was nice enough to email me a copy (without any prompting) so I know how beneficial it could be. But I dont want to send it if they are gonna trash it.

thanks in advance for any advice

You can send it now, but only if it is to the schools you already interviewed at. It may or may not make a difference. The doctor I work for actually called the dean of each school for me. He had already written a letter, but felt that he should call after each of my interviews and speak with the dean about my qualities and further recommend me for med school... It obviously didn’t get me a prematch, but I’m still optimistic that it helped. I guess I will let you know in Feb if I get into my top school! Or get an acceptance at all! :)

You really have nothing to lose here...

For those of you that are looking at the prospect of reapplying next year, did you know that statistics is now going to be required at some of the schools?

Since I've already graduated, I'm looking at taking a statistics course this spring at community college, but I don't know if the only one they offer will work for med school. Does anyone have any more details on this requirement? The course I'm looking at is called "Math 2442 Elementary Statistics." That elementary part is throwing me off. Any ideas?

Thanks

For those of you that are looking at the prospect of reapplying next year, did you know that statistics is now going to be required at some of the schools?

Since I've already graduated, I'm looking at taking a statistics course this spring at community college, but I don't know if the only one they offer will work for med school. Does anyone have any more details on this requirement? The course I'm looking at is called "Math 2442 Elementary Statistics." That elementary part is throwing me off. Any ideas?

Thanks
I think you can contact TMDSAS and ask if that course is accepted by schools. I did that with a course I took at my undergrad and was unsure if it was considered and biology/other science course and they told me over the phone what is was. Or you can also contact the schools directly (which may take longer). Good luck!

I can't really tell the way that TMDSAS words things on their site, was curious if anybody knew:

On February 1st, do you find out all the schools that accept you, or do they just return your highest-ranked school that accepted you?

The answer obviously doesn't change things practically, but I was curious :) Thanks!