*-*-* The Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2011 *-*-*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does my upper level neuroscience courses count as upper level biology credit?

i tried to search the tmdsas website, but no answers

Members don't see this ad.

How long after they receive your transcripts can you submit your application?

I forgot to mention that they were blind interviews (as in they only had our essays which we submitted to TMDSAS). g'luck!

Really? So if you get an interview to UTSA, they only have the information you put in your essays!? Interesting!

Members don't see this ad :)
Really? So if you get an interview to UTSA, they only have the information you put in your essays!? Interesting!

the lucky individuals whom interview you are only given your personal statement and the two optional essays. they are not given your gpa, locs, and mcat information. hope that clears it up if there was any miscommunication on my end

oh and to keep you guys updated, I also received an interview for Tech (El Paso - Foster) today. however its scheduled for October, which is weird because that is more than more than a month away. San Antonio and A&M were only 2-3 weeks away from their interview email.

the lucky individuals whom interview you are only given your personal statement and the two optional essays. they are not given your gpa, locs, and mcat information. hope that clears it up if there was any miscommunication on my end

oh and to keep you guys updated, I also received an interview for Tech (El Paso - Foster) today. however its scheduled for October, which is weird because that is more than more than a month away. San Antonio and A&M were only 2-3 weeks away from their interview email.

Thanks for the info. Do you mind if I ask when you transmitted?

Thanks for the info. Do you mind if I ask when you transmitted?

transcript verified: 5/17/10
submitted: 5/21/10
mcat verified: 6/1/10
transmitted: 6/10/10
LOC received/approved: 6/22/10

interview invites received:
San Antonio - 7/27/10
A&M - 8/25/10
Tech El Paso - 8/27/10

When I was in El Paso for my interview, they said they schedule them so far in advance so that people have more time to sort out plane tickets since almost everyone has to fly in.

transcript verified: 5/17/10
submitted: 5/21/10
mcat verified: 6/1/10
transmitted: 6/10/10
LOC received/approved: 6/22/10

interview invites received:
San Antonio - 7/27/10
A&M - 8/25/10
Tech El Paso - 8/27/10

So do most interview invites take about six weeks to get after everything is transmitted by TMDSAS?

So do most interview invites take about six weeks to get after everything is transmitted by TMDSAS?

I'm sure it depends on your stats in same shape or form (the better you are as a candidate, the earlier the invite?). However, I'm definitely not certain. Also, my situation is a little different because I submitted my secondaries very late in comparison to my primary app. A&M and Tech secondaries were both submitted on 8/15/10

Payment recieved 7/15, App transmitted 8/28, finally! I didn't know they transmitted on Saturdays, but I'm glad they do! :D

hey guys, i was wondering what you think of my chances of getting in based on statistics.

i have a 4.0 gpa, but only a 24 on my mcat...

however, i retook the mcat and i get my scores this tuesday. so im just anxiously waiting that... no idea what to expect

but with a 4.0 and 24, any chance of getting in anywhere?

i'm a texas resident

Payment recieved 7/15, App transmitted 8/28, finally! I didn't know they transmitted on Saturdays, but I'm glad they do! :D

congrats dude. payment was received on 7/19 for me... so that means my app will be transmitted soon :D

hey guys, i was wondering what you think of my chances of getting in based on statistics.

i have a 4.0 gpa, but only a 24 on my mcat...

however, i retook the mcat and i get my scores this tuesday. so im just anxiously waiting that... no idea what to expect

but with a 4.0 and 24, any chance of getting in anywhere?

i'm a texas resident

Let's wait ONE more day and see what that new MCAT is. ;-) Your question could be irrelevant tomorrow!!

Your chances would be low, but it's definitely not impossible with your current stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's wait ONE more day and see what that new MCAT is. ;-) Your question could be irrelevant tomorrow!!

Your chances would be low, but it's definitely not impossible with your current stats.

you were right man. got my scores today. GOT A 31!!!!!! so happy. my previous score is irrelevant now :)

you were right man. got my scores today. GOT A 31!!!!!! so happy. my previous score is irrelevant now :)

Wow, congratulations!!!! :D That's a huuuge improvement. You should be good to go now!

anybody know if UTH, UTMB, UTSW, and Baylor have started emailing interview invites? Thanks :)

GOOD WORK!! :) :) That is so exciting. Your chances to get in just went up a lot. Hard work pays off.

oh, I'm a girl, though. :p

anybody know if UTH, UTMB, UTSW, and Baylor have started emailing interview invites? Thanks :)

They've all started sending out invites several weeks ago. Check out the school specific threads

i sent in my Summer 2 updated transcripts and nothing has shown up as being recieved or revised, do I need to send them to each school or what? Same situation with AMCAS..

I want to change Letter of Recommendation section from Commitee package to Individual letter now, because one of the Professor not turn in her LOR yet. She say next week . If I email TMDSAS today, how long do you think Tmdsas will take care of it ? And is it too late ? Should I keep waiting for the last letter ? (3 required for commitee package).
Thanks for any answer.

I dont know why i took so long to ask this question, but how does the match/pre-match process work.

My understanding so far is that schools may send acceptances on November 15, or wait until 2/1 to tell you anything. Is this accurate?
Also, what is the deal with ranking the schools? What does that accomplish?

I dont know why i took so long to ask this question, but how does the match/pre-match process work.

My understanding so far is that schools may send acceptances on November 15, or wait until 2/1 to tell you anything. Is this accurate?
Also, what is the deal with ranking the schools? What does that accomplish?

Basically schools can start sending out acceptances starting November 15 until December 31 for the prematch process. You can have more than one acceptance during this time. On January 10, you have to rank all the schools you interviewed at. The purpose of this is that, maybe you got interviewed at your #1 and didn't get a prematch there but prematched someone else. You can rank your prematch as 2 on the list and your #1 as one. This means that you can possibly still get matched to your #1 on Feb 1. Someone who got a prematch offer there could have placed that school lower on their list meaning their spot was open for you. However, if you don't make it into your #1, you're still guaranteed your prematch. It is pretty complicated and it took me a while to really get it. I hope this helps!

Hi everyone. This is my first time to post. Just had a quick question. I recently got an interview invitation from UT Southwestern, but the weird thing is that I got the invite prior to submitting my secondary application. Is that normal or should I call them?

Hi everyone. This is my first time to post. Just had a quick question. I recently got an interview invitation from UT Southwestern, but the weird thing is that I got the invite prior to submitting my secondary application. Is that normal or should I call them?

I would call. It could be possible that you have the stats required for an automatic interview and they accidentally sent an invite out before your secondary was received. I think the secondary is pretty much a requirement though so I'd check if I were you.

for tech's secondary....how long were your answers? I'm having a hard time writing more than 100ish words because the questions are kind of stupid. Does anyone have any advice on this? They don't specify any word limits or minimum.

Hey all
I noticed that a lot of people who has posted submit/processing dates seem to be waiting more than 6 weeks from payment date to transmit date - the website says 6 weeks on 8/17 (i submitted/payment 8.10) - can anyone tell me how long they waited or have been waiting? I know for me its only been a month, but just wanted to get a feel for how things are going.

have a great friday and thanks anyone in advance for the help :luck::luck:

I submitted 7/9 and it took about 7 weeks...so they definitely aren't overexaggerating. sucks.

My payment was received 7/27 and I was just transmitted yesterday so you're looking at at least 6 weeks unless somehow things are already slowing down (which I doubt). Good luck!

I just found out that UTMB doesn't accept writing intensive courses taught by dept other than English dept...

I have 3hrs of credit from the dept of rhetoric and writing, 3hrs from dept of English. Does this mean I have to take another course in English? :scared::eek:

I just found out that UTMB doesn't accept writing intensive courses taught by dept other than English dept...

I have 3hrs of credit from the dept of rhetoric and writing, 3hrs from dept of English. Does this mean I have to take another course in English? :scared::eek:

Best thing to do would be to email or call UTMB to find out. Maybe email w/your unofficial transcript attached.

Finally received my first interview invite for TCOM on Oct 1st!! Finally!!

What are my chances still getting into the UT schools?

I'm a resident with a 4.0 GPA and a 34 MCAT but my payment for TMDSAS wasn't recieved until 8/2.
It still hasnt submitted to the schools, and I know they've been interviewing for a while...
How much will timing hurt my chances this year?

Can anyone explain the purpose of the match process on TMDSAS? I mean, I understand that you rank schools based on which one to want to go to more (etc), but do you rank them even if at that point you have no interviews, or do you only rank them if you had an interview? Any extra information would help - the TMDSAS website explained some of it, but thought I would still ask so thank you anyone who can help!

Good luck all!

Can anyone explain the purpose of the match process on TMDSAS? I mean, I understand that you rank schools based on which one to want to go to more (etc), but do you rank them even if at that point you have no interviews, or do you only rank them if you had an interview? Any extra information would help - the TMDSAS website explained some of it, but thought I would still ask so thank you anyone who can help!

Good luck all!
You only rank the schools that you have interviewed at. The schools where you interviewed rank you, and you rank them and a computer works it out and you get your results on match day. If you get into your top choice school, then you can no longer attend a lower choice school. If you get into your #2 school, its still possible you could be waitlisted at your #1 school and get in later. If you haven't had any interviews you don't rank any schools. I think all the schools finish interviewing before the match so if come say December you don't have any interview invites its time to start improving your application for next year. I think the exception is that TCOM might have given out interviews after th match last year, but I'm not 100%. I hope that clears it up a little

You only rank the schools that you have interviewed at. The schools where you interviewed rank you, and you rank them and a computer works it out and you get your results on match day. If you get into your top choice school, then you can no longer attend a lower choice school. If you get into your #2 school, its still possible you could be waitlisted at your #1 school and get in later. If you haven't had any interviews you don't rank any schools. I think all the schools finish interviewing before the match so if come say December you don't have any interview invites its time to start improving your application for next year. I think the exception is that TCOM might have given out interviews after th match last year, but I'm not 100%. I hope that clears it up a little

UTH interviewed until early January this past cycle (not sure of the plan for this year). Most schools finished in December. TCOM did invite after match- invites were given by phone call as opposed to the normal email.

After the match, if you either didn't match or you didn't get your #1 school, you will be notified in the days/weeks following February 1st whether you were placed on waitlists (individual schools email you). Except UTH- technically everyone who interviewed but didn't match is waitlisted and you won't hear anything unless you're pulled from the waitlist.

I'm a resident with a 4.0 GPA and a 34 MCAT but my payment for TMDSAS wasn't recieved until 8/2.
It still hasnt submitted to the schools, and I know they've been interviewing for a while...

Even though it's pretty late in the game, all hope is not lost! I'm a constant procrastinator (works for me though because my best work/studying is when I'm stressed lol). This is my second time applying. When I applied last year, I literally did not pay until Oct 1st...the last day to do so. My cGPA was 3.53 and my MCAT was 29. As expected, several schools emailed saying I need to apply earlier (obviously :rolleyes:), but I still got an interview to San Antonio.

does anyone know if any tx schools send out interview invites over the weekend? Sick of sitting here watching my email inbox refresh every 5 mins, its killing me, lol, only received an invite from TCOM, hoping for at least SA and UTMB, maybe even UTSW to invite me, transmitted 8/23, 28O, 3.7 GPA, non trad, Army veteran with a family and good EC's, 29 yrs old, hoping they see my maturity and commitment....

does anyone know if any tx schools send out interview invites over the weekend? Sick of sitting here watching my email inbox refresh every 5 mins, its killing me, lol, only received an invite from TCOM, hoping for at least SA and UTMB, maybe even UTSW to invite me, transmitted 8/23, 28O, 3.7 GPA, non trad, Army veteran with a family and good EC's, 29 yrs old, hoping they see my maturity and commitment....

I don't think they send out invites over the weekend. (I strongly dislike weekends now :p).

I guess we just have to be patient (which is insanely hard!). I have very similar stats as you, and was verified a lot earlier. I've received invites to 2 schools... hoping for just one more TX school. Just. one. more...

Hopefully they'll get around to us soon. Good luck!! I'm sure they'll love the unique parts of your app! :thumbup: :luck:

I don't think they send out invites over the weekend. (I strongly dislike weekends now :p).

I guess we just have to be patient (which is insanely hard!). I have very similar stats as you, and was verified a lot earlier. I've received invites to 2 schools... hoping for just one more TX school. Just. one. more...

Hopefully they'll get around to us soon. Good luck!! I'm sure they'll love the unique parts of your app! :thumbup: :luck:

which schools have you heard from so far, which two interviews?

Last edited:
GPA is 3.8. What do I do? Keep calling each school? No interview from any UT school so far. What are my chances?

Hang in there. E-mail an update letter. Schools will keep interviewing, and plenty try to fill from the match. Keep getting clinical experiences and write about those, you'll get an interview somewhere and get in somewhere. If not, apply next year nice and early-- I waited three years after college, and I'm doing alright. :)

I got a 31Q on my second MCAT in August which was better than my score in the twenties for when I took it in July.
My TMDSAS was transmitted to all the Texas schools on 9/20/10 and my second MCAT score was released one day later. TMDSAS has received my new score but most of the Texas schools haven't yet when I call today and it has already been a week. When I submitted my TMDSAS, I indicated that I was signed up to take the MCAT again in August, but my mom suggested that some of the schools probably tossed my application when they saw my first score without even considering to wait for my second score. Could this be a possibility? :scared:

GPA is 3.8. What do I do? Keep calling each school? No interview from any UT school so far. What are my chances?

It's only been a week since you've been transmitted. I doubt they'd throw your app out without the updated score.

Again, it's only been 1 week! It might take quite a bit longer than a week to hear back (at least in my meager experience so far). But with your scores, I think you'll be ok. Just give it a while. :)

I submitted my TMDSAS application a month ago BUT I still have yet to send in my Committee Packet from my school because I'm still waiting for a professor to finish his LOR.

Can I still submit my Committee Packet past the deadline?

I have a friend with a 3.9 and a 38 MCAT. Her stuff was submitted end of July but she hasn't heard from any schools yet except for "under review" emails :/

Is there any hotel which is very close to the UT Southwestern so that you can walk to the medical school on the interview day if you stay there?

I heard there may be a traffic jam in the Dallas downtown area almost every morning. So, if the hotel is within the walking distance from the medical school, the traffic is then not a concern.

Can I still submit my Committee Packet past the deadline?[/QUOTE]

October 15th is the deadline for all supporting docs. Your app is disqualified if you submit it afterwards.