*-*-* The Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2011 *-*-*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
well that blows, sorry mate. I have an email acct I've been using since middle school so I always use that as my all purpose email. Thus I always just "forgot username or password" and enter my email to get all my information. 70 bucks sure sucks but how can you not remember taking the SATs? I've only been out of high school 4 years so I guess I can't relate to such an extended time period. But best of luck!

First of all, I am so old that we didn't get our scores on the computer. Weird right? I've been out of high school for 10 years. I remember taking it, but I think I took a practice SAT, not really sure. So it doesn't count if it was a PSAT. Plus, I wasn't an anal premed back then. And why does everyone think I'm a guy? I'm going to change my picture today! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First of all, I am so old that we didn't get our scores on the computer. Weird right? I've been out of high school for 10 years. I remember taking it, but I think I took a practice SAT, not really sure. So it doesn't count if it was a PSAT. Plus, I wasn't an anal premed back then. And why does everyone think I'm a guy? I'm going to change my picture today! :)

from my days in aussieland, mate was unisex :) sorry Ma'am

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told (via email) by TMDSAS that if the class is worth 0 credit hours to not put it on the app since there isnt a way to list a class without it having any credit hours.

Thanks, FrozenTexan!

Has anyone had their MCAT scores sent yet? Has it shown up as received yet for anybody? I have sent them through thx about 3 times since it opened and they still say not received...

Unless you are out of high school for 10 years. I actually can't remember taking the SAT, I went to a community college so it wasn't required... I called collegeboard just to see if they could tell me if I took it and what my scores were. It was going to cost $70 just to tell me if I took it and then they would have to dig it up for a month and get back to me with the scores. I just figured I couldn't wait that long and spend that much money for them to tell me that I didn't take it...

I had this issue when I applied last cycle. I took the SAT & ACT like in 1996 or 1997. I remembered the scores but I couldn't remember the breakdown. I e-mailed TMDSAS informing them that I could not retrieve the scores and they said it was ok, to leave that section blank on the app. I did that and everything worked out fine.

Hi all,

Would you guys consider TAing for biology lab as a college leadership responsibilty? Thanks in advance.

Probably. But what are the other options? I can't check anymore because I already submitted...

How much cross listing is acceptable? I'm listing my clinical research tech job under 1) Research 2) Healthcare Activites (heavy patient interaction), 3) Employment and 4) Future Activities..

Is this too much?

For my Chronology of Activities , my Other Info column has a bunch of cutoff sentences due to space limitations. Do I need to revise each one to make it a short sentence or did everyone else just leave that alone?

How much cross listing is acceptable? I'm listing my clinical research tech job under 1) Research 2) Healthcare Activites (heavy patient interaction), 3) Employment and 4) Future Activities..

Is this too much?
I think it's too much. I'd leave it out of healthcare activities if you're not delivering care yourself.

Are those free-response fields or something structured?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's too much. I'd leave it out of healthcare activities if you're not delivering care yourself.

Are those free-response fields or something structured?

So I routinely talk to patients about lab tests and take them to rooms. Would this not count as a healthcare activity (Since I have a lot of research experience and I want to emphasize the clinical aspects of my job).

What do you mean by free response fields?

So I routinely talk to patients about lab tests and take them to rooms. Would this not count as a healthcare activity (Since I have a lot of research experience and I want to emphasize the clinical aspects of my job).

What do you mean by free response fields?
I mean are you allowed to type whatever you want in a big empty box or do they have specific areas to put the name, a drop-down list of items, etc?

I still don't think you should count it as healthcare activity. What do you talk to them about with regards to the lab tests? I think it's definitely research and definitely employment, and the adcomms can deduce your role in healthcare from that.

Yes, there's a box for free response, so I'll likely just describe the clinical component there.

Thanks for the input!

Also, what's the general consensus on the optional essays? Are they preferred, strongly preferred, or neither?

I would really rather not take away from my personal statement with something that would necessarily be more BS sounding/fluff.

Also, what's the general consensus on the optional essays? Are they preferred, strongly preferred, or neither?

I would really rather not take away from my personal statement with something that would necessarily be more BS sounding/fluff.

I would say do them but only if you actually have something else to say. If its going to take away from your PS and be "fluff" dont do it. If however you really feel the need to define some part of your application or personality that ties in with the optional prompts, I would certainly do it.

I would advise against just doing a BS/fluff optional just to have it completed. That could bite you.

Do you need to wait for your LOR's to arrive before you can submit your application?

Do you need to wait for your LOR's to arrive before you can submit your application?

No. If your app is ready, you should send it off so that they can start verifying the grades you entered with the ones on your transcript. Letters can come in whenever, it's just the school probably won't be sending out interview invites until your letters are in.

I only did the main required essay, and one of the two optional essays. Ended up getting accepted at UTMB and A&M. If you really have nothing to say, I think it's better to leave it blank than to add BS (unless you're modest and your "BS" is actually really good)

I did the second optional one but not the first and had a lot of luck in my cycle. I don't think the schools will look down on you for only doing the required essay, but I think if you skip the others you are missing out on another opportunity to tell them something interesting and important about yourself that could help you in the application process.

I would try hard to think of something to say there. It's been my experience that the adcoms are really interested in reading what's written there. I think they'd really prefer that they're answered if you have anything to put there.

Hey all.. I participated in an ensemble at my university for the majority of my undergrad career. Since it was the same ensemble, the course number never changed. When it comes to selecting whether or not it was the last time I took the class should I select "yes" or "no"? While I'm sure they'd figure it out when they saw all the A's, I don't want to select "no" and have it appear as though I had to retake a class numerous times.

So do I say yes, it was the last time I took the course every time I add it, or do I select no until my last semester in the ensemble?

Hey all.. I participated in an ensemble at my university for the majority of my undergrad career. Since it was the same ensemble, the course number never changed. When it comes to selecting whether or not it was the last time I took the class should I select "yes" or "no"? While I'm sure they'd figure it out when they saw all the A's, I don't want to select "no" and have it appear as though I had to retake a class numerous times.

So do I say yes, it was the last time I took the course every time I add it, or do I select no until my last semester in the ensemble?

Yes, it was the last time you took it each time. I had the same problem with one of my lab rotation classes that I had to take 3 times with different professors...

Is there any good reason for an OOS to apply to Texas schools? Judging by the #s, it seems like they aren't too friendly about it. Is this just b/c most people are discouraged by the 2nd application?

Is there any good reason for an OOS to apply to Texas schools? Judging by the #s, it seems like they aren't too friendly about it. Is this just b/c most people are discouraged by the 2nd application?

As I understand it, since the state of Texas subsidizes a large part of the cost of running the public medical schools (hence the ultra-low in-state tuition), the state requires every incoming class to be composed of at least 90% Texas residents. Out-of-staters vie for the remaining 10% of the slots. Most schools look for people with ties to the state in the hopes that whoever they train will serve the Texas population in the future.

I think there is absolutely good reason. Most state schools accept the majority of students from in their own state regardless of what state we are talking about. Just because the majority of students come from in state doesn't mean that 10% isn't filled each year. Know what I mean? While the competition may be stiff it isn't insane in my opinion. There are many reasons to attend medical school in Texas. If you have the numbers, means of moving, and would like to be educated in the greatest state there is, apply. :D

Texas is actually the 2nd state I'd rather be in than CA (my home), but I feel like it might not be a good idea to have my 1st choices be CA (super competitive) and 2nd be TX. Dunno, I guess it's not bad. It looks like 1/3 residents get in versus 1/9 non-residents...

Figured I’d share this with you guys. I submitted my application last week and have sent my MCAT scores, however they are not posting as received. So I sent them again at the end of last week, still not received. I went ahead and sent them a message today just to see what was up with their system. They said that they will not upload any MCAT scores until May 24th. They will be doing one mass upload that day for everyone that has sent their scores... Then she told me to be patient... ;) Impossible...

Can anyone give me an idea of what exactly the TMDSAS is looking for in the personal statement regarding my goals? Is it asking for once practicing or what?

Yes, it was the last time you took it each time. I had the same problem with one of my lab rotation classes that I had to take 3 times with different professors...

Thanks for the response, Noshie :)

Can anyone give me an idea of what exactly the TMDSAS is looking for in the personal statement regarding my goals? Is it asking for once practicing or what?
I always just tried to paint a general picture of what I saw myself doing. I'd usually say the type of town, type of specialty, and where I planned on being in my personal life (married, kids).

For the LORs for TMDSAS applications, do two letters need to be from science professors?

I'm double-majoring in Bioc and English, so I'm asking a research professor and an English professor who know me well for LORs. None of my other science professors know me well (or, for some, at all) -- and I didn't do brilliantly in some of their courses, so I wasn't going to ask for a second science LOR. Do I need to?

Hey guys,

Should we wait until we submit our apps before sending in transcripts?

No, send them now, they should have them prior to submission so everything gets processed quickly.

For the LORs for TMDSAS applications, do two letters need to be from science professors?

I'm double-majoring in Bioc and English, so I'm asking a research professor and an English professor who know me well for LORs. None of my other science professors know me well (or, for some, at all) -- and I didn't do brilliantly in some of their courses, so I wasn't going to ask for a second science LOR. Do I need to?

Yes, two letters from science professors is the requirement. However, you can get around this and get an employer letter if you have been out of school for awhile. But it seems that you will need to get one more science professor since you are still in school. You can’t skip this, it’s seriously not only a requirement for TMDSAS, but each school that receives your application will pretty much throw you out of the pile because you won’t be meeting their minimum requirements.

I don't think it's a requirement at all to have two science letters actually. I would check either with TMDSAS or with your school pre-med advisor, if you have one. For me, our pre-med advisor has stated that only one science letter is necessary. I think it would mean more to have a PI who knows you better provide a letter attesting to your science aptitude followed by two glowing letters versus a generic letter from an undergraduate science professor who only knows you as a number in a class of 400.

What is the limit to the number of letters one can send through the application service? If I want to send extra, how and where should I send them (ie extra letter from an employer or doctor, etc)? Thanks!

What is the limit to the number of letters one can send through the application service? If I want to send extra, how and where should I send them (ie extra letter from an employer or doctor, etc)? Thanks!
Do you have a committee letter that's going to be sent from your school?

Yes, two letters from science professors is the requirement. However, you can get around this and get an employer letter if you have been out of school for awhile. But it seems that you will need to get one more science professor since you are still in school. You can’t skip this, it’s seriously not only a requirement for TMDSAS, but each school that receives your application will pretty much throw you out of the pile because you won’t be meeting their minimum requirements.
This seems to be all TMDSAS says on the subject:

LETTERS OF EVALUATION
Applicants are required to submit one the following options. You may also submit one extra individual letter.

Two individual letters of evaluation
OR

One Health Professions Committee Letter/Packet
Once you have completed this section, you should have your letters delivered to TMDSAS. TMDSAS accepts letters from Interfolio, Virtual Evals or regular mail. Make sure that your TMDSAS ID is entered into those systems so that we can match your letters properly.

If there is no formal Health Professions Advisory Committee or Letter Service at your institution, two individual letters of evaluation are required. Evaluators should know an applicant well enough to evaluate him/her both academically and personally. Be sure evaluators include the applicant's full name and TMDSAS ID number on evaluations. Individual evaluation letters should be accompanied by the TMDSAS Evaluation Form (with the waiver signature line completed) if the student is waiving his/her right of access to the evaluation letter.

Evaluators who choose to mail in their letter MUST mail letters to TMDSAS in an official school or business envelope. The letter MUST contain the evaluator's name, title, address, phone number and signature. The letter MUST be sealed in an envelope with the evaluator's signature across the seal. If TMDSAS receives an evaluation letter without the TMDSAS Evaluation Form, it is assumed that the applicant has not waived his/her right of access to the letter.

http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/medical/application-instructions.html#eval_letters

You might check with the individual schools, however, to see what they say.

Thank you! I called TMDSAS and Southwestern, and they both said two science LORs are not "required" -- but certainly "recommended." I'll go about trying to asking for another letter now.

Actually, I think you guys are right... I looked up all of the Texas school admissions pages and did not find any mention of the 2 science letter policy! However, I do know for a fact that most out of state schools will require these letters. So if you are just applying in Texas you’re good. Sorry!

I think being exposed to those kinds of experiences are really interesting and would make a good essay. You could leave out some of the weird stuff if you think it's too far.

They make it a big point to teach us cultural sensitivity, and I think your background would be something they'd like to have in a student.

Hello everyone, I have a question. So I have a valid mcat score (32Q), and am getting ready to submit my application to TMDSAS. The thing is I am re-taking the mcat in July (long story). If I submit now, will my application even be considered or will it sit until August when I get my score back? Could I just say "Hey TMDSAS, I retook the mcat and here is my score" after I get my scores back, or do I have to let them know I am planning on taking it?

I agree. Why retake?

Well I'm a third time applicant. I applied this past year after finishing a SMP taking first-year medical school courses (honors and high pass), and got one interview from Tech. I didn't have any clinical experience (which I've fixed) and I have improved my personal statement (tremendously, I think). Even after the SMP, I feel like my undergrad gpa is still holding me back and Texas just wants some numbers, and besides the PS and clinical experience, I really don't know what else to do. I'm confident I can significantly improve my mcat (so far so good). So I guess my question is will schools just sit on my app until I send my July scores? If they do, it might end up hurting me taking the mcat in July, whether I raise my score or not. Is there a way around this? Like not indicating on TMDSAS my plan to take the test until July? I appreciate any advice.

Last edited: