**** The Official University of Detroit Mercy Dental Class of 2024 Interview/Acceptance Thread ****

ttt7732

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know what does the pre-interview online video ask you about?
It says there are five questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I
I am not sure what they will be asking. I am just going over my application and researching their website.

Perfect, I was reading on last years thread that they are more laid back questions than the actual interview. Doesn’t hurt to over prepare though!

Anyone interviewing on 8/24?

Reactions: 5 users
can somebody tell me what month do they stop doing interviews this cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
My AADSAS status says invited for interview, but I haven't received an email yet. Anyone else?

My AADSAS status says invited for interview, but I haven't received an email yet. Anyone else?
It took a few days to send out the email after they changed the status on AADSAS

Look for an email Monday

UDM's website mentions a credit expiry:

"Prerequisites should be completed within 5 years of the application date. Candidates whose prerequisites are older than 5 years at the time of application are advised to retake these courses, preferably at a 4-year institution."

I don't remember seeing this on their website two years ago or if it's new to this application cycle. It's also unclear if this is just a recommendation or a hard rule Anyone applying this cycle (or know anyone who applied last cycle) who graduated university over 5 years ago & still received an interview/acceptance with their "old" prereqs?

I emailed UDM but haven't heard back.

I also realized this may not be the appropriate thread....I do apologise in advance if that's the case!

I don't know about you guys but I botched the first question on the video interview. The practice questions were like "what is your favorite flavor of ice cream and why?" but the first question on the actual interview was much more complex and had me like a dear in the headlights lol.

UDM's website mentions a credit expiry:

"Prerequisites should be completed within 5 years of the application date. Candidates whose prerequisites are older than 5 years at the time of application are advised to retake these courses, preferably at a 4-year institution."

I don't remember seeing this on their website two years ago or if it's new to this application cycle. It's also unclear if this is just a recommendation or a hard rule Anyone applying this cycle (or know anyone who applied last cycle) who graduated university over 5 years ago & still received an interview/acceptance with their "old" prereqs?

I emailed UDM but haven't heard back.

I also realized this may not be the appropriate thread....I do apologise in advance if that's the case!

My prereqs are older than that and I still received an interview invite so I'm thinking its not a hard and fast rule. I do remember reading somewhere (might have been another school can't remember where exactly) that the admissions committees reserve the right to adjust their prereq requirements on a case by case basis.

Unrelated, did anyone else receive a somewhat ominous sounding e-mail about the kira videos not being completed and having your interview cancelled?? I already completed my kira within a week of receiving my interview invite, not sure if I should call the school about this

Reactions: 1 users
My prereqs are older than that and I still received an interview invite so I'm thinking its not a hard and fast rule. I do remember reading somewhere (might have been another school can't remember where exactly) that the admissions committees reserve the right to adjust their prereq requirements on a case by case basis.

Unrelated, did anyone else receive a somewhat ominous sounding e-mail about the kira videos not being completed and having your interview cancelled?? I already completed my kira within a week of receiving my interview invite, not sure if I should call the school about this

I just received an email as well, it didn't mention the interview being cancelled but it did ask for the KIRA interview questions even though I completed them.

The email I received said:
"This is a reminder that you must complete your Kira question no more than 7 days after receiving your interview invitation. The link to access the questions is in your interview invitation letter under Step 2."

I believe it may be a generic reminder for everyone receiving interviews to complete the questions, but I would give admissions a call just to make sure.

LOL judging by her follow up email, evidently they received too many notifications from people who completed it already.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know if this is the right place to post this but here goes. I have a question, last year I applied in October which was late and in the cycle and got an invite within 4 days. This year my application is objectively better and had my app complete like July 12 and I still haven't received anything besides telling me that my app was complete. Should I at all be worried? Again sorry if this is the wrong place to post this

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but here goes. I have a question, last year I applied in October which was late and in the cycle and got an invite within 4 days. This year my application is objectively better and had my app complete like July 12 and I still haven't received anything besides telling me that my app was complete. Should I at all be worried? Again sorry if this is the wrong place to post this
Same here!

I'm not sure if it makes any difference but the head of admissions retired after last year's cycle and there's a new guy leading it now..

I’ll be interviewing on 9/21! Wanted the earliest date but I was at work all day and you guys took all the spots! Lol best of luck to everyone!

I am a non traditional student and this is my first interview! I’ll be doing my KIRA questions tomorrow. Any advice?

Those of you staying overnight, where are you guys planning to stay for the interview? One by the downtown or the airport? I have never been to Detroit and would like any advice‍♀️ Also, do you think that it's easier to just rent a car than to uber everywhere?

Those of you staying overnight, where are you guys planning to stay for the interview? One by the downtown or the airport? I have never been to Detroit and would like any advice‍♀ Also, do you think that it's easier to just rent a car than to uber everywhere?

I opted to stay closer to the school, about 5 minutes from campus and close to downtown. My reasoning was that I wouldn't want anything like a messy commute messing up my interview day (being late, unable to find the school, etc), so staying close seemed to be a better bet. I've never been to Detroit either but I have another interview a few days after UDM so I won't be staying long, therefore I'm opting to just Uber everywhere rather than hassle with renting a car. However, if you're staying for longer (exploring the area on top of interviewing) then maybe renting a car would be a good option as it would give you a lot of freedom of movement (might be less cost-effective though). I've been told my friends from Michigan that a car is a must-have to get around day-to-day.

Last edited:
Those of you staying overnight, where are you guys planning to stay for the interview? One by the downtown or the airport? I have never been to Detroit and would like any advice‍♀ Also, do you think that it's easier to just rent a car than to uber everywhere?

Looking at the cost of a lyft, it seems to be about $30 from airport to school, adding in travel between school and hotel (and potentially back to hotel if going back to grab your bags from storage after checking out) I think you could be looking at carpool costs of $60-$70 depending on how much of your ride you split. I'm seeing car rental deals for about $64 for one day which seems like a wash to me tbh, in which case I am leaning towards opting for the freedom of a rental, especially if I can find someone to split the cost with (don't mind picking you up from airport either since I arrive quite early the day before my interview).

I'll be staying at the *edit* courtyard by marriot* in dearborn since the hotel is slightly cheaper than in downtown (although about a 15-20 min drive to school depending on traffic seems like) and its also between the school and airport, although I guess that makes less of a difference if you're renting instead of ubering.

In case anyone is thinking of taking me up on the rental split offer, ill be arriving 9am Aug 23rd and leaving 8pm the next day. Please let me know soon, looking to book ASAP.

Last edited:
Looking at the cost of a lyft, it seems to be about $30 from airport to school, adding in travel between school and hotel (and potentially back to hotel if going back to grab your bags from storage after checking out) I think you could be looking at carpool costs of $60-$70 depending on how much of your ride you split. I'm seeing car rental deals for about $64 for one day which seems like a wash to me tbh, in which case I am leaning towards opting for the freedom of a rental, especially if I can find someone to split the cost with (don't mind picking you up from airport either since I arrive quite early the day before my interview).

I'll be staying at the doubletree in dearborn since the hotel is slightly cheaper than in downtown (although about a 15-20 min drive to school depending on traffic seems like) and its also between the school and airport, although I guess that makes less of a difference if you're renting instead of ubering.

In case anyone is thinking of taking me up on the rental split offer, ill be arriving 9am Aug 23rd and leaving 8pm the next day. Please let me know soon, looking to book ASAP.

I guess one thing I forgot to factor in with the rental is the parking situation which I am not familiar with, can anyone else comment on how difficult it is to find street parking near the school?

My interview date is 8/24 and I'm trying to get there a day before. Any recommendation on where to stay?

I’ll be there on September 21st for the morning session!

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone October 5th afternoon?

Congrats!! When did you get your completion email from the school? For me, the last email from them was “dental application fee received”. Does this mean my app is not complete with them?

Congrats!! When did you get your completion email from the school? For me, the last email from them was “dental application fee received”. Does this mean my app is not complete with them?
I can answer your question instead! My interview is on 8/24, and once you received "dental application fee received," you just have to wait for them to send you a KIRA questions, which is a video interview that you have to send before you actually go to the interview! Just wait for them to send you the next step! Good luck!

Interviewing on 9/21, morning session! Message me if you want to chat

I can answer your question instead! My interview is on 8/24, and once you received "dental application fee received," you just have to wait for them to send you a KIRA questions, which is a video interview that you have to send before you actually go to the interview! Just wait for them to send you the next step! Good luck!

Thank you for your kindness :)

I declined my interview invitation today. Good luck to everyone!