**The Republic of Texas XXX: You have been matched to Chuck Norris-HSC**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How do I get into a volunteer research program? In other words, do you know any places that would let me go into one?

You could try contacting some researchers and telling them you'd like to do research in their lab, and you're willing to do it for the experience.

Yeah exactly as Bigtruck said, email a bunch of Professors at medical schools (most of them have a website online that you can get to through the medschool websites) . Tell them your intentions, your background, your goals and your level of commitment (40 hours a week for 6 months, i.e.) then try to set up an interview appointment. If you would like to pm me I can take ur CV to my PI, but no guarantees.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCKKKK

Members don't see this ad :)
We forgot, to commemorate Texas' declaration of independence the other day. For those out of staters here, a little history on the greatest state ever!

On March 2, 1836, Texas declares independence from Mexico.

175 years + 1 day ago, the Alamo falls to Santa Anna after holding out for 13 days.

The%20Seige%20of%20the%20Alamo.jpg

Fellow Texans/Texians, feel free to supplement these quick history lessons on major historically significant dates.

Remember the Alamo!!!

(Coming from a San Antonian)

We forgot, to commemorate Texas' declaration of independence the other day. For those out of staters here, a little history on the greatest state ever!

On March 2, 1836, Texas declares independence from Mexico.

175 years + 1 day ago, the Alamo falls to Santa Anna after holding out for 13 days.

The%20Seige%20of%20the%20Alamo.jpg

Fellow Texans/Texians, feel free to supplement these quick history lessons on major historically significant dates.

I was in Luckenbach on March 2 with my dad listening to some country music. Helluva day.

I made a Public Information Request - based on what I saw on this thread (I think)...and I'm pretty sure I'm getting backlash. I've been copied on three emails so far from the medical school addressed to the Texas Attorney General delineating, with reference to a slew of statutes, why they should not have to disclose anything about my application.

Has this happened to anyone else? If so, what was the end result?

I made a Public Information Request - based on what I saw on this thread (I think)...and I'm pretty sure I'm getting backlash. I've been copied on three emails so far from the medical school addressed to the Texas Attorney General delineating, with reference to a slew of statutes, why they should not have to disclose anything about my application.

Same here. It sounds like they gave some out, then when people found out you could do it on SDN and a bunch of people submitted the schools realized they didn't want to give it out to so many. I'm kinda :rolleyes: about the whole situation.

Why do you honestly care what they wrote about your application or what they think of you. You didnt get it. The end.

Why do you honestly care what they wrote about your application or what they think of you. You didnt get it. The end.

Come on now.

I do wonder if anyone tries to go the FoI route with schools to which they may have to reapply, though. Talk about pegging yourself as "that guy."

Come on now.

I do wonder if anyone tries to go the FoI route with schools to which they may have to reapply, though. Talk about pegging yourself as "that guy."

Is that not the reason for re-app workshops.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine was just for interest purposes. It was an easy thing to request and see what I got. I don't really care. But way to peg yourself as an ass :)

Mine was just for interest purposes. It was an easy thing to request and see what I got. I don't really care. But way to peg yourself as an ass :)

I said "peg yourself as 'that guy'" in reference to a going-to-be reapplicant who submitted a FoI request to schools to which he's going to reapply, as opposed to a going-to-be reapplicant simply trying to set up a chat with someone in admissions to talk about how they did, etc., like several of the Texas schools do -- advertised or not. Has nothing to do with you, Mr. Curious-Class-of-2015.

23 days until A&Ms deadline...

Has A&M offered you guys anything new since that original letter?

I said "peg yourself as 'that guy'" in reference to a going-to-be reapplicant who submitted a FoI request to schools to which he's going to reapply, as opposed to a going-to-be reapplicant simply trying to set up a chat with someone in admissions to talk about how they did, etc., like several of the Texas schools do -- advertised or not. Has nothing to do with you, Mr. Curious-Class-of-2015.

Sorry should have quoted. I was talking to slammer.

Oh, I saw "peg yourself" and assumed you were talking about me. Same words and all that. :D

Haha Sorry, I have a bad habit of adopting phrasing I just heard/read. :)

They just increased the scholarship to $6500, but same options. Luckily the numbers have been going down. I believe as of last week there are around 58 or so people left to defer/go to another school

About 2 weeks ago they upped the compensation to a $6,550 scholarship for one year. They still offer first choice of campus to people who defer. I don't think anyone mentioned that people who are forced to defer don't get any of the scholarship money. Right now the class size is down to 225 with 15 people volunteering to defer and 10 people leaving due to other offers. 55 to go?

Remember the Alamo!!!

(Coming from a San Antonian)

I will always remember the Alamo!- my Grandma has handwritten letters in the family geneology collection passed down from Davy Crockett- apparently he was related to us somehow, I wouldn't begin to know how.

I will always remember the Alamo!- my Grandma has handwritten letters in the family geneology collection passed down from Davy Crockett- apparently he was related to us somehow, I wouldn't begin to know how.

thats awesome. we had a old gun handed down to our fam by sam houston... then our cabin decided to randomly catch on fire. it was a sad day.

To be honest the hikes even out the schools a bit and remain some of the lowest tuitions in the entire country. That being said of course I wish it wasn't going up but at least it didn't double. I just hope we don't get regular 6-16% increases like I have for undergrad. I'll be pretty annoyed if one of the major reasons I chose to stay in TX disappears.

The only thing I didn't understand in the article was the regent who said he thought people undervalued the education because tuition was too low... :confused: What planet does this man live on??

crickets...

The good news is that A&M didn't have to defer anyone (forcefully). Have you guys heard of any waitlist movement?

crickets...

The good news is that A&M didn't have to defer anyone (forcefully). Have you guys heard of any waitlist movement?

I heard! That is good! This week has brought some Tech waitlist movement... And some TCOM waitlist action as well. Ugh. None for me yet...

This is actually not how it worked this year. You could submit the first day the application was open, but if you took spring coursework, you had to wait until your spring grades were in. But even if you take until June 1 to perfect it, you'd still be way ahead of the game.

Does the "if you take springs classes" thing still hold true? My university is a little different in that there are Fall and Winter semesters (late August-mid April) and then two, 8-week terms (spring and summer). The Spring term runs 4/26 - 6/16, and grades won't be online until 6/24. Then if I have to send transcripts out it to TMDSAS I won't be complete until early July. I was planning on taking Spring classes but if it means I won't be able to apply until mid-July I might rethink that.

The tuition increased approximately 1k/year. If you are a Texas resident you are still paying less than most other medical schools in the United States.

And yes, you have to pay all of the tuition unless you have scholarships/grants. The state doesn't comp the tuition they charge you. The 15-16k tuition you pay doesn't represent the entire cost of your education, either. I am pretty sure most students take out loans rather than 'paying out of pocket' to pay the tuition/ancillary expenses like room and board. Welcome to professional school!

edit: and don't be stressed about taking out loans. you aren't expected to be able to pay up front your medical education. also, it seems like you might be a little bit behind the curve on the financial aid situation, so if you haven't already filled out FAFSA, I recommend you go ahead and do that as soon as possible.

Hi yall, haven't been on here for some time, but I matched to a UT med school back in Feb.

I was just taking a look at the tuition fees and increases for this upcoming year for us 2015ers.

According to this article: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7479201.html

Looks like we'll be paying $15-16K per year not including housing/living/food. Is this yearly tuition coming directly out of my parents' pocket? Because I know a class of 2010 girl who attended the same school I'm matched to, her mom said they paid only $8-9K out of pocket per year. That's equivalent to how much I pay for a public uni here in Texas. I'm just surprise and, quite frankly, really nervous seeing this high price tag for med school because I never qualify for need based fin aid. Totally not fair, it's not like I'm rich. If the $15-16K/yr is coming directly out of student pocket, then a loan will be my best bet, which will suck. I thought once we get into med school, we'll have to pass through it because the state puts in a certain amount to make sure you come out a physician. What part of the tuition does the state cover?

Sorry I'm going on a rant right now, but just now realizing this issue is stressing me out some in addition to graduating soon. I haven't found a job etc for the summer.

Your medical education, when you factor in overhead including facilities, faculty salaries and insurance, costs upwards of $100,000/year. So, the state is covering the $84,000 that you are not responsible for. Sound fair to you?

Your medical education, when you factor in overhead including facilities, faculty salaries and insurance, costs upwards of $100,000/year. So, the state is covering the $84,000 that you are not responsible for. Sound fair to you?

This is not false

Does the "if you take springs classes" thing still hold true? My university is a little different in that there are Fall and Winter semesters (late August-mid April) and then two, 8-week terms (spring and summer). The Spring term runs 4/26 - 6/16, and grades won't be online until 6/24. Then if I have to send transcripts out it to TMDSAS I won't be complete until early July. I was planning on taking Spring classes but if it means I won't be able to apply until mid-July I might rethink that.

Directly from the TMDSAS Website (http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/deadlines.html):
"The application for entry year 2012 will be available Monday, May 2, 2011.
Do NOT submit any supplemental materials for the 2012 application until after May 2nd. Any materials received prior to that date will be returned to the applicant or the evaluator.
Spring 2011 grades (or winter 2011 grades if on a quarter system) must be recorded on your transcript before you can submit your application. If you did not take Spring 2011 coursework, you can submit as early as May 2nd.
Although you may be tempted to rush through the application and submit on May 2nd, we strongly advise you to take your time and ensure that your application is complete and accurate before submitting."

So yeah, it looks like you are going to have to wait until June to submit if you take spring classes. It's a bummer, but if you get it in before July, it's still somewhat early in the game. I wouldn't NOT take any classes because of it. I submitted mid to late June and still got interviews as early as August 20 (was verified Aug 10ish).

Hi yall, haven't been on here for some time, but I matched to a UT med school back in Feb.

I was just taking a look at the tuition fees and increases for this upcoming year for us 2015ers.

According to this article: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7479201.html

Looks like we'll be paying $15-16K per year not including housing/living/food. Is this yearly tuition coming directly out of my parents' pocket? Because I know a class of 2010 girl who attended the same school I'm matched to, her mom said they paid only $8-9K out of pocket per year. That's equivalent to how much I pay for a public uni here in Texas. I'm just surprise and, quite frankly, really nervous seeing this high price tag for med school because I never qualify for need based fin aid. Totally not fair, it's not like I'm rich. If the $15-16K/yr is coming directly out of student pocket, then a loan will be my best bet, which will suck. I thought once we get into med school, we'll have to pass through it because the state puts in a certain amount to make sure you come out a physician. What part of the tuition does the state cover?

Sorry I'm going on a rant right now, but just now realizing this issue is stressing me out some in addition to graduating soon. I haven't found a job etc for the summer.

Don't fret too much. I've never been able to get financial aid either, and I know it would be terrible to pay that full tuition out of pocket. Just be thankful that our tuition is way less than what others have to pay in different states. Don't fear loans. Fill out the FAFSA tp get a Stafford loan. That should cover all your tuition and other fees like room/board. Many medical students take out loans (most of the time, much more than you'll have to take out), and they do just fine in paying it back. You don't have to pay until you get into residency, and I think you can even defer payback til after residency (not sure about this). Maybe your friend received some financial aid and her parents decided to pay the rest out of pocket without getting a loan.

Another history lesson for the OOSers:

175th Anniversary of the Battle of San Jacinto today.

Right now Sam Houston would be discussing strategy for the day, debating whether to attack or wait to be attacked and defend. Ultimately he decides to attack during the Mexican army's siesta. The decisive victory the Mexican president/general Santa Anna gave us the edge in the war that resulted in our independence and the formation of the Republic of Texas. Now known as the best state in the union.

battlepainting.jpg

so you dont have to wait until june to submit for tmdsas?

so you dont have to wait until june to submit for tmdsas?

Nope. Like ieightkate posted, as long as your Spring 2011 grades (assuming you took any classes) are on your transcript, you can submit as early as May 2nd.

Submitting early is great since you'll be close to the front of the line. It will take less time for your app to be verified and eventually transmitted but don't rush to be at the front of the line only to sacrifice the accuracy and quality of your app. G'luck! :luck:

Hi everyone.

To those that have been accepted, are you all having to pay full tuition?

Are there any merit based scholarships at any TX schools?

THanks!

Hi everyone.

To those that have been accepted, are you all having to pay full tuition?

Are there any merit based scholarships at any TX schools?

THanks!

Off the top of my head:
Tech: El Paso offers full tuition (15k) merit-based
UTSW offers 5/10/15k merit-based.
UTH only does need-based scholarships.

I'm paying it all with Stafford loans...and the fun begins :(

Are yours subsidized or unsubsidized? It seems 3/4 of mine are unsubsidized which I am mad about because they acquire interest during school