The Republic of Texas XXXVII: Get up. Look up. Show up. Never Give up.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm assuming this would apply to FMAT as well? In that me accepting their offer is non-binding?
I found this page which has the most detail about offers and acceptances.
TMDSAS Medical: Policies and Procedures for Processing Applications To be absolutely sure about whether accepting tha FMAT is binding, was there any language to that effect when you submitted the FMAT application?

Members don't see this ad.

I found this page which has the most detail about offers and acceptances.
TMDSAS Medical: Policies and Procedures for Processing Applications To be absolutely sure about whether accepting tha FMAT is binding, was there any language to that effect when you submitted the FMAT application?
Nothing seemed to indicate that it is binding. It seems to fall under the same category as the dual-degree programs and was even listed under the dual degree programs to choose from on TTUHSC's secondary application.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Buckle up folks! TCU-UNTHSC School of Medicine has been given prelim accreditation by the LCME, meaning they'll start recruiting students soon for the 2019 class. Formal announcement expected to be made later this morning.

Reactions: 3 users
Buckle up folks! TCU-UNTHSC School of Medicine has been given prelim accreditation by the LCME, meaning they'll start recruiting students soon for the 2019 class. Formal announcement expected to be made later this morning.
I don’t think I’ll apply there tbh

How exciting!! Where did you see that?!?!

How exciting!! Where did you see that?!?!
Scroll down to Texas on this LCME list of med school accreditation status.
http://lcme.org/directory/accredited-u-s-programs/
The school now shows as preliminary accreditation.
The other thing I noticed is that Dell has been advanced to provisional accreditation while UTRGV, which took its inaugural class the same year, has been kept in preliminary accreditation status at this time. This is not terrible, but means there are a few things that need improvement.

Reactions: 1 user
I just got an email confirming the same thing from UNTHSC.
Might be because I'm an alumni (MedSci grad), so I'm still opted into these emails somehow.

No acceptance in hand = Fight for every opportunity.
I’m really excited to apply there so I’m hoping they open the application soon

Wow so there’s one more school people can jump into this very same cycle! Exciting stuff for many

Correct me if I’m wrong but they will *not* participate in TMDSAS and aside from some scholarships for inaugural class will be closer to cost of a private medical school?

Correct me if I’m wrong but they will *not* participate in TMDSAS and aside from some scholarships for inaugural class will be closer to cost of a private medical school?
Yes and yes. I had emailed them earlier in the year and they said their app is gonna be through AMCAS

Members don't see this ad :)
They already made the announcement through FB. I can’t view the video so idk if they mentioned when they would open the application

They already made the announcement through FB. I can’t view the video so idk if they mentioned when they would open the application

Watching the video now, but the website has updated and it looks like apps will open in November. https://mdschool.tcu.edu/admissions/welcome-message/

Update: Lots of clapping in the video, it was mostly just them giving thanks to the community and talking about how this became possible, etc. Did not hear any specifics about the application process. The website though does say they're just waiting for AMCAS membership and then will open up apps.

Last edited:
Was the email sent to people they already screened or Med Sci Alumni/people with past contact?
It was sent to anyone with a UNTHSC email (faculty, staff, current students, and alumni). A campus wide announcement if you will.

Hello - please feel free to ask me questions about our application process, admission criteria or other questions that help to understand our mission, vision and goal as the nation's newest M.D. school, located in Fort Worth, Texas. My goal is to be a positive, transparent and accurate resource for our premedical student community. Visit mdschool.tcu.edu to learn more!

Best,
Dr. Tara Cunningham
Associate Dean, Admissions and Student Diversity
Associate Professor, Medical Education

Reactions: 4 users
Do you have minimum GPA/MCAT, or maybe a better question is a suggested or target GPA/MCAT? What type of students are you looking for? Will accreditation through TCU/UNTHSC make loans easier? As a veteran, I know at least one other newer school (California Northstate) isn't even eligible for the GI Bill or won't participate in it for some reason, so financial aid stuff would be important.

Do you have rotations targeted? JPS rotates a lot of TCOM students, will that continue with the new school?

And kind of a silly question - what will the correct abbreviation be? I see FW MD on your profile picture. TCU? FWMD? UNTHSC Take Two? :)

Hello - please feel free to ask me questions about our application process, admission criteria or other questions that help to understand our mission, vision and goal as the nation's newest M.D. school, located in Fort Worth, Texas. My goal is to be a positive, transparent and accurate resource for our premedical student community. Visit mdschool.tcu.edu to learn more!

Best,
Dr. Tara Cunningham
Associate Dean, Admissions and Student Diversity
Associate Professor, Medical Education
@SOM Admissions Welcome, Dr. Cunningham! I have started a separate page for your new school here, I know you will be bombarded with questions!
2018-2019 TCU and UNTHSC School of Medicine

Last edited:
Do you have minimum GPA/MCAT, or maybe a better question is a suggested or target GPA/MCAT? What type of students are you looking for? Will accreditation through TCU/UNTHSC make loans easier? As a veteran, I know at least one other newer school (California Northstate) isn't even eligible for the GI Bill or won't participate in it for some reason, so financial aid stuff would be important.

Do you have rotations targeted? JPS rotates a lot of TCOM students, will that continue with the new school?

And kind of a silly question - what will the correct abbreviation be? I see FW MD on your profile picture. TCU? FWMD? UNTHSC Take Two? :)

Yes, financial aid is important! Since TCU is the degree-granting institution, students will be registered and aid eligibile under the existing university. We have a single FAFSA code.

Take a look at our clinical model on the website - while we will rotate through John Peter Smith (JPS), our Longitudinal Integrated Clerkship (LIC) is a year-long clerkship experience with time spent at in-patient (solo, group practices and ancillary clinics) and out-patient facilities (i.e. JPS, Harris Methodist-downtown).

We are the TCU and UNTHSC School of Medicine and Fort Worth's MD School, hence the FWMD avatar (which fits on SDN :).

How crazy would it be for me to rank Dell and SA > UTSW
Personally I didn't get an interview at Dell and don't interview at UTSW for a while. That being said, I'd tentatively put my ranks as UTSW>UTMB=Long> McGovern>Lubbock>UTRGV> El Paso. Austin is a pretty cool city so I can definitely see that putting Dell #1 for a lot of people.

I guess my questions is how significantly better is UTSW if any from SA, Dell or UTMB?

I guess my questions is how significantly better is UTSW if any from SA, Dell or UTMB?
UTSW is objectively much better than UTSA/UTMB. Its not out of this world to hear your thinking about ranking Dell higher, esp considering their recent STEP scores.

Personally I didn't get an interview at Dell and don't interview at UTSW for a while. That being said, I'd tentatively put my ranks as UTSW>UTMB=Long> McGovern>Lubbock>UTRGV> El Paso. Austin is a pretty cool city so I can definitely see that putting Dell #1 for a lot of people.

UTRGV over El Paso?

UTRGV over El Paso?
I'm a valley native so I would save a considerable amount in living expenses by attending UTRGV. That's pretty much the only reason why. Otherwise, definitely would put El Paso higher.

UTSW is objectively much better than UTSA/UTMB. Its not out of this world to hear your thinking about ranking Dell higher, esp considering their recent STEP scores.
So my question is why better? Long interview they said they had the 2nd best match list. So just research wise better or Step scores? Since long and UTSW Step scores are insignificantly different.

I’m just want to think/ hear of all the pros and cons, in a non bias perspective.

What constitutes a “good” match list? Obviously more people matching at Mass general would make it a better match list overall, but how exactly is a certain school 2nd best in terms of matching?

What constitutes a “good” match list? Obviously more people matching at Mass general would make it a better match list overall, but how exactly is a certain school 2nd best in terms of matching?
That’s a good question for an adcom lol I’m just trying to get a pros and cons list going

1654970-bigthumbnail.jpg

Waiting is hard, y'all. Don't lose heart.

Reactions: 6 users

Just curious why UTMB over McGovern?

Just curious why UTMB over McGovern?
UTMB on interview day seemed to have a much better atmosphere than McGovern. People felt genuinely happy and helpful. At McGovern I felt that students were kinda pretending to enjoy it. Hard to describe but it was kinda just a gut feeling. Of course, that was just my personal experience.

What are some examples that constitute sending in an update letter to a school? Thanks!

What are some examples that constitute sending in an update letter to a school? Thanks!
Publications, major awards/recognition, grades (too early for this, since you probably don't have final grades yet), and if the school accepts updates or not.

Long = Dell > UTSW > McGovern = UTMB > UTRGV > Lubbock > El Paso

Interviews at McGovern, UTSW and El Paso arent scheduled till November but this is my tentative list. Location and "Fit" is a big factor for me.

For me: McGovern>utmb>Tamu>long. I wouldn’t base a list off of “oh well this school is better” or whatever, I’m gonna base my list off of where I think I will be the most successful.

Publications, major awards/recognition, grades (too early for this, since you probably don't have final grades yet), and if the school accepts updates or not.

FYI Dell said they do not accept any non-TMDSAS updates and McGovern said they can’t accept updates unless you’ve been invited for an interview. I tried to send some publication updates earlier this month.

For me: McGovern>utmb>Tamu>long. I wouldn’t base a list off of “oh well this school is better” or whatever, I’m gonna base my list off of where I think I will be the most successful.
Agreed 100%. Currently I have mine as McGovern > Dell > A&M > Long > Tech > El Paso > RGV. Interesting/tbh cool to see how everyone’s ranks are different

Does TMDSAS recalculate GPAs when we submit Fall transcripts?

Yes they do. It takes a few days from submission to recalculation.
Ahhh now I've got to keep up my grades this semester since a lot of TX schools don't do scholarships till after acceptance

Ahhh now I've got to keep up my grades this semester since a lot of TX schools don't do scholarships till after acceptance
They might go easy on you if you pull the “I was busy traveling for II” card

They might go easy on you if you pull the “I was busy traveling for II” card
lol I don't like making excuses though, esp when some people go for 20 IIs but still maintain a 4.0.

how important is pre-clinical grading system and to what degree should it influence how I rank my schools? Obviously I hear from SDN, reddit, med students etc that P/F is really really nice but i also hear that pre-clinical grades don't matter a ton for your residency application. For reference I am trying to really narrow down how I want to rank Dell, A&M, McGovern, and Long. I honestly loved all of them so while this is a great problem to have, I want to make sure I account for all factors.

how important is pre-clinical grading system and to what degree should it influence how I rank my schools? Obviously I hear from SDN, reddit, med students etc that P/F is really really nice but i also hear that pre-clinical grades don't matter a ton for your residency application. For reference I am trying to really narrow down how I want to rank Dell, A&M, McGovern, and Long. I honestly loved all of them so while this is a great problem to have, I want to make sure I account for all factors.
Med students don't praise P/F because of what it does for their residency application, they praise it because it's less stressful/competitive than other grading systems. Most of the students I've talked to at P/F schools said that P/F is one of the most important factors in deciding on a school. Some TX schools with four-tiered grading systems have tried to sell it as a way for PDs to distinguish between students during the residency process, but like you said, pre-clinical grades are relatively unimportant. I think there's a single sentence on most MSPEs regarding pre-clinical grades.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.