This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SunflowerRx

Reaction score
Hello, I am a current PY2 enrolled in a top 5 pharmacy program. I currently have a 3.0 GPA. I have a bachelor's degree (something my program doesn't require), research and leadership experience, and an internship at a local retail store. What are my chances of matching with a program such as the VA?

I have a strong interest in chronic disease management--such as diabetes.

Members don't see this ad.

I mean, you have another two years before you're even applying, it is extremely early to be asking a question like this. Just keep it up with the experience/involvement aspects, but know that a 3.0 is not a terribly competitive GPA. Also I don't feel like pharmacy school rankings really mean all that much. your 3.0 is still a 3.0, even if you're at a top 5 school.

Reactions: 2 users
Ask again in another year when your prime focus is rotations and NAPLEX prep.

If given the opportunity, network with someone to rotate you in a VA setting. Get familiar with CHCS / AHLTA / GSL and Scriptpro system so you can better understand how the inpatient side can correlate with both the formulary and non-formulary system of outpatient pharmacy.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
While a 3.0 GPA is a 3.0 GPA, going to a well known, top 5 school most definitely will play to your advantage. School reputation definitely goes a long way when it comes to residency, and from my experience, RPD's would prefer applicants from well-known schools that produce good applicants than new schools with no reputation.

Reactions: 1 user
While a 3.0 GPA is a 3.0 GPA, going to a well known, top 5 school most definitely will play to your advantage. School reputation definitely goes a long way when it comes to residency, and from my experience, RPD's would prefer applicants from well-known schools that produce good applicants than new schools with no reputation.
I think this is true to an extent, but it may also depend on where you're looking. Like if you're looking in the same region as your school and most of the applicants are from your school, it's really not doing much for you.
flip side, if you're looking far away and they haven't had experience with graduates from your school previously, they can't really glean much from your school alone.

tldr; your school's reputation may help you, but it doesn't make up for a lower GPA.

I think this is true to an extent, but it may also depend on where you're looking. Like if you're looking in the same region as your school and most of the applicants are from your school, it's really not doing much for you.
flip side, if you're looking far away and they haven't had experience with graduates from your school previously, they can't really glean much from your school alone.

tldr; your school's reputation may help you, but it doesn't make up for a lower GPA.

I do agree with you. As well, large academic medical centers with top programs may still be tough to get into because other applicants from top 5 schools would be applying with possibly better CV's (not always the case though). Looking at smaller programs and community hospitals would be more attainable.

3.0 GPA is low especially people are flooding to doing residency nowadays.

Solutions: do a rotation at VA, get connected, and get your grades up.

As a P2, you have plenty of time to pull your grade up. Don’t believe in the myth of top 5 programs. Sure, your 3.5 GPA may be more impressive than 3.5 from lesser school. However, your 3.0 will not be the same as 3.5 from lesser school.

When residency director interview candidates, and making hiring decisions, school ranking has never come up as far as I can remember, Ever.

In fact, our clinical director once made a comment that 50% of residents from top school turn out to be good. While 90% of residents from local private school turn out to be great residents. I was puzzled at her comments, and She summed up saying students from lesser school don’t take for granted, worked harder and do not wear a coat of invincibility.

With the question posted, I am beginning to see her points.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Hello, I am a current PY2 enrolled in a top 5 pharmacy program. I currently have a 3.0 GPA. I have a bachelor's degree (something my program doesn't require), research and leadership experience, and an internship at a local retail store. What are my chances of matching with a program such as the VA?

I have a strong interest in chronic disease management--such as diabetes.

What are you considering a top five school on? NAPLEX pass rate? Student enjoyment? Cost?

What are you considering a top five school on? NAPLEX pass rate? Student enjoyment? Cost?
Most of the time people mean the U.S. News and World Report rankings. However, as the pharmacy school rankings is only based on a peer survey (what do deans of other Colleges of Pharmacy think about yours) and it only had a 40% response rate last time then it probably doesn't mean much. In contrast the Medical School rankings include some objective measures along with a residency director survey so it means a lot more.

Your school would have zero influence on our committee. Our staff is very biased against what they consider "snobbery." If you mention in your application that your school is "prestigious" or "esteemed," demerits. If you really do have leadership and research experience and produced an excellent letter of intent you would probably get an interview at our site. You'd also have to be willing to fly to our city...I doubt that what you're considering leadership and research experience are really the type of experiences we value though.

NAPLEX pass rate
I have never heard of an RPD checking what Naplex pass rates were...
Lebanese American has the only 100% first time score and they only graduated 5 students. I am just not sure it means much. In 2016 Belmont University had the 2nd highest Overall pass rate and no one considers them a "Top Program"

Reactions: 1 user
not to beat a dead horse, but throwing this out there. in reviewing pgy1 applications currently, I can say a few things: 1. we have a gpa cutoff, and are throwing out any application that does not meet that, period. 2. the school has little to no bearing on my impression of the application; I am more focused on the quality of the letters of recommendation and experiences that the candidate has had.

I have never heard of an RPD checking what Naplex pass rates were...
Lebanese American has the only 100% first time score and they only graduated 5 students. I am just not sure it means much. In 2016 Belmont University had the 2nd highest Overall pass rate and no one considers them a "Top Program"
South Dakota State had 100% for 76 students this year.....

not to beat a dead horse, but throwing this out there. in reviewing pgy1 applications currently, I can say a few things: 1. we have a gpa cutoff, and are throwing out any application that does not meet that, period. 2. the school has little to no bearing on my impression of the application; I am more focused on the quality of the letters of recommendation and experiences that the candidate has had.

Could you say what the cut off is for your program? I know everyone is different, but I was just curious. I’m more on the lower end of 3.0, not quite a 3.5, but a lot of good experiences and hopefully good highly recommendations

What is your gpa cut off?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile