Touro COM - New York (TouroCOM-NY) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just interviewed at Harlem yesterday, 11/10. The professors all seem really interested in teaching and providing a good learning environment.

Just a piece of advice for people making travel arrangements for interviews, our day went way over time. I was in the 10:30-4:00 group and we didn't get out until 5:30. So don't schedule your departing train or flight for right after the interview; you might not make it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I made the deposit for Middletown too and have not heard back from the school yet.
I would suggest call them tomorrow. That is what I am planning to do. Congrats by the way.

I've just been invited for an interview at Middletown campus. For those who flew to NYC, how did you arrange your transportation to Middletown? It seems really far from the airport, and taxi to Middletown would be too expensive. Do people usually rent a car? Is there any alternative to driving because I haven't driven a car for years?

EDIT: Also, which hotel did people stay before the interview?

EDIT#2: I read about the flipped curriculum at Touro in one of the eariler posts. Can someone elaborate on that a bit more? Is this exclusive to the Middletown campus or both?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I also just received an interview invite for Middletown campus and I'd be interested in the same things as the above poster.

For anyone who has already interviewed or knows a bit about Middletown and the campus, is there anything that makes it unique? I am interested in working with the underserved (rural or urban). Does Middletown have those types of opportunities or would I expect to have to travel to NYC?

Touro recently redid their website and the answers to many of your questions can be found both there and in threads here on SDN from previous years.

I've just been invited for an interview at Middletown campus. For those who flew to NYC, how did you arrange your transportation to Middletown? It seems really far from the airport, and taxi to Middletown would be too expensive. Do people usually rent a car? Is there any alternative to driving because I haven't driven a car for years?

EDIT#2: I read about the flipped curriculum at Touro in one of the eariler posts. Can someone elaborate on that a bit more? Is this exclusive to the Middletown campus or both?
I flew into Newburgh-Stewart. Only a 30 min drive to Middletown. If you have to go to a different airport I would rent a car. The taxi from the airport to my hotel was 85 bucks D; (I can't rent a car because I'm a baby...). No alternative to driving really unless you meet someone at the airport who can drive you there. I stayed at a Super 8 about 5 minutes from the school. Taxi from there was only 10 bucks. The flipped curriculum involves listening to lectures/ reading material prior to the "lecture." Once you get to class you sort of interact with all your class members and teach each other/ learn from each other and ask questions to the instructors as needed. Both Middletown and Harlem have this curriculum. It's apparently very successful as a learning method and they're proud of that fact.

Reactions: 1 user
I also just received an interview invite for Middletown campus and I'd be interested in the same things as the above poster.

For anyone who has already interviewed or knows a bit about Middletown and the campus, is there anything that makes it unique? I am interested in working with the underserved (rural or urban). Does Middletown have those types of opportunities or would I expect to have to travel to NYC?
They mention that many of the schools in the city (Columbia, NYU, Mt. Sinai) have the city on lock so there are a few hospitals in larger areas but most are in the rural parts of NY. When you go the the interview they give a big list of rotation hospitals and clinics.

Congrats…could you include when you were complete and your stats if you don't mind! thanks!

Congrats…can you tell us your stats and when you were complete? Thanks!

You could also fly into Albany International and drive down. Its a pretty easy drive although it is about hour and a half if you didn't want to fly into NYC.

3.3 uGPA, 3.15 sGPA, 33 MCAT

I also did a post-bacc at U of CIncy (took med school blocks), and got a 3.75 GPA.

Complete sometime in mid-late October.

I had my interview here.

The curriculum (all lectures recorded online and one weekly meeting session) + the location are amazing! I just feel bad that I may have not done well on the interview :(

Congrats…could you include when you were complete and your stats if you don't mind! thanks!
I received my secondary on Oct. 23rd and submitted on the same day. Got a confirmation about my secondary being received on Nov. 10th and received an interview invite yesterday on Nov. 11th.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had my interview here.

The curriculum (all lectures recorded online and one weekly meeting session) + the location are amazing! I just feel bad that I may have not done well on the interview :(
How are you so sure you did badly?

I received my secondary on Oct. 23rd and submitted on the same day. Got a confirmation about my secondary being received on Nov. 10th and received an interview invite yesterday on Nov. 11th.

wow thats a very quick interview invite lol congrats thats really awesome!!

How are you so sure you did badly?

One of the interviewers was clearly unimpressed from the beginning and started the whole thing with a why-does-this-kid-have-an-interview demeanor. I got torn apart on minute details about my application while everyone else in my group had discussions on general topics and flowing conversations with their interviewers.

I'm having trouble deciding between Touro Harlem and WesternU Pomona. Anyway has any input? I find that the staff and WesternU is so much nicer and helpful, whereas everytime I speak to the admissions office of Touro Harlem, the staff seems so rude and annoyed. However, I love in NYC, and thus, I think it'll be cheaper for me to stay and live at home. Yet, I heard that Touro Harlem doesn't get many good torsion sites around the city bc the Caribbean schools and other prestigious NYC MD schools get all of the hospitals. Help!!!

I had my interview here.

Hey! I interviewed on Monday and I actually felt I did badly also lol. I didn't want to say anything aloud since everyone was raving about how chill it was. I'm not sure if we had the same interviewers but mine went very similar to yours. I felt like the one guy tried to tear apart everything I've done like it wasn't significant or good enough. Don't know if it was an interview tactic or his true opinion but I didn't feel so great afterwards...

they only give you two weeks to decide if u wanna drop the $2k deposit? Is that accurate? I'm debating trying to push my date back to avoid possibly losing thousands of dollars lol. that's ridiculous

they only give you two weeks to decide if u wanna drop the $2k deposit? Is that accurate? I'm debating trying to push my date back to avoid possibly losing thousands of dollars lol. that's ridiculous
Yup. I'm nearing end of week 1, ready to smack down 2k soon, haha.

Yup. I'm nearing end of week 1, ready to smack down 2k soon, haha.

that's pretty insane, and I feel like it reflects pretty poorly on the school (as if they just want to give quick acceptances to bank on deposits). scary

Cheap hotels near touro-ny Harlem ?

Here is the thing. From what I have seen, some people got the acceptance really quickly but they told us during the interview it can be up to three weeks. I guess I was lucky that I got the acceptance so soon but it also sucks that I only have two weeks to put a deposit down. I am just glad that I get to become a doctor and it's in New York city!

Here is the thing. From what I have seen, some people got the acceptance really quickly but they told us during the interview it can be up to three weeks. I guess I was lucky that I got the acceptance so soon but it also sucks that I only have two weeks to put a deposit down. I am just glad that I get to become a doctor and it's in New York city!

I can agree with that for sure, but my interview is in Middletown. I would've been much happier for Harlem, but either way $2k non refundable this early in the game should be illegal

I can agree with that for sure, but my interview is in Middletown. I would've been much happier for Harlem, but either way $2k non refundable this early in the game should be illegal
Ah I completely understand where you are coming from. I was lucky to get into the Harlem campus but I really do like the curriculum for both. Pre-recorded lectures and more free time to study on your own...can't go wrong with that

How diverse is the Touro student body? Since Touro is Jewish-affiliated, will it be at all weird for me as a non-Jewish person?

anyone know about the board scores for touro? tried to find it in their own website, but got nth..

Deposit paid...unless something crazy happens I'll be joining y'all in NYC next year!

Reactions: 4 users
Deposit paid...unless something crazy happens I'll be joining y'all in NYC next year!

Lol I hope to join ya. The post interview wait is killing meee. One week down, three more to go.

Hi guys!Is anyone interviewing at Touro-Middletown on December 1st?
Let me know!

Isn't the wait only 2 weeks? Or are you waiting on other schools as well?

you have 2 weeks to pay the deposit after an acceptance, but I'm at the stage between interview and adcom decision. They told our interview group that they'll send out decisions in 4 weeks.

I dont know how I can survive this wait.

you have 2 weeks to pay the deposit after an acceptance, but I'm at the stage between interview and adcom decision. They told our interview group that they'll send out decisions in 4 weeks.

I dont know how I can survive this wait.
Really? I could have sworn the decision wait was only two weeks. I interviewed at Middletown on 11/3. I noticed that it took about two weeks for Harlem folks to hear, too. The wait is killing me either way.

Interviewing at Middletown tomorrow morning. Best of luck to all!!!

anyone not looking to live in those cave dorms they have?

im trying to get an apartment with another med student nearby there are a few places that are equal price to what we would be for housing at middletown and are 10000 times better living conditions

anyone not looking to live in those cave dorms they have?

im trying to get an apartment with another med student nearby there are a few places that are equal price to what we would be for housing at middletown and are 10000 times better living conditions

I may be interested..

Anybody else interviewing at the Middletown campus Nov. 24th?

Put down my deposit for Harlem! Do we have a facebook group started up yet?

Anyone that interviewed on 11/5 at the Harlem campus hear backk yet??

Anyone that interviewed on 11/5 at the Harlem campus hear backk yet??
Yes I was there for the am session and heard back within 4 days! Good luck buddy
Edit sorry I was there on the 3rd

Yes I was there for the am session and heard back within 4 days! Good luck buddy
Edit sorry I was there on the 3rd

Wow that's such a quick turn around! I guess the committee either met on the day of your interview or the day after

Wow that's such a quick turn around! I guess the committee either met on the day of your interview or the day after
Yea sorry about my mishap, but I am sure you will get your answer soon!

I'm actually quite sure the turnaround time is supposed to be about two weeks. Which would be...today for us who interviewed 11/3 in Middletown!! But no word yet...

Can you tell I'm dying?

yep, the wait is killing me too. I can't help but to check this thread 3-4 times a day now.

Reactions: 2 users