Tucom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bth7

It's worth it in the end . . .
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some info from a first year TUCOM student:

manfood.com said:
I am going to be interviewing at Touro soon. I wanted to get some information from a student who is there right now. How do you like it? And what are some of the highs/lows in your opinion. Is the area conducive to studying? thanks!!

hey dude,

sorry for the slow response. as you can imagine, I'm sort of busy.

i really like touro. I'm coming from Columbia, so i was excepting to be disappointed. so far I'm impressed.

you HAVE to understand, everyone's perspective is going to be different. a lot of people have a lot of gripes - about any school. so there's no reason you should listen to me necessarily. although, i think my maturity level is probably a bit higher considering I'm an older (29) med student. so my perspective is different. I'm okay being a bit more self-directed.

you've probably read this elsewhere, and i agree with this general opinion.

TUCOM students - rock, eclectic mix of backgrounds, fun people, want to live in bay area cause they know its better than elsewhere.
TUCOM profs - very good, care about students, lie to teach, don't have a lot of other responsibilities besides teaching since TUCOM isn't a big institution.
TUCOM admin - problems. people don't like the computer admin people cause we don't have wireless in the lecture hall "they're working on it." for some reason this infuriates everyone. i don't really give a ****.
TUCOM location - it ain't the most beautiful place in the world. you're going to be in a lecture hall all day everyday, so it won't really matter.
i couldn't stomach living in Vallejo so I live in Berkley. it takes me 25min to get to school each day. i could carpool, but I'm lazy and i skip a lot of classes so i don't. it adds about $250 to my monthly budget versus living in Vallejo/Bencia/Glen Cove, but my rent is only $400 so I can handle it. I have a lot of friends in East Bay / SF so I live to be able to drive into SF in 15min or take BART. Vallejo is a good 50 min from SF. THERE IS NO TRAFFIC coming from east bay to Vallejo in AM - its the reverse of all the other commuters.

The TUCOM library people are great. You have access to every journal is existence. TUCOM profs and course rely heavily on electronic resources - power point slides are posted, lecture notes are posted, students have an active yahoo group where we all post **** and b*tch about stuff. The library is open till midnight.
I go the the Berkeley Bio library to study a lot. I like being able to walk around and get food, which you can't do at TUCOM. Though a 5 min drive puts you within reach of whatever you want (Starbucks, Taco Bell, cheap Mexican, etc.)

Anatomy lab is great. Anatomy profs are great. Good class. Osteopathic medicine emphasizes musculoskeletal knowledge 5X more than allopathic schools, so you're going to know your anatomy. I have friends at MD schools so we compare notes.

OMM - hard class. hard to understand. hard to study for. everyone in my class seems confused. the profs are nice and want to help but there's not enough time. often it feels like this "additional" thing you are trying to learn on top of the already ridiculous workload. but it is pretty cool to be able to really diagnosis and treat with your hands. its impressive and sort of inspiring to see the docs at a school do it well.

Dorms- not as bad as website makes them luck.

website - the saddest thing about TUCOM. its makes the school look SUB-Caribbean. everyone in my class agrees it is a travesty. i think a lot of people don't apply to TUCOM simply b/c the website is so ghetto.

rotations - i'm just a first year, so i don't really know jack about this. but it seems that TUCOM sets you up. you're not left to fend for yourself. you will have to travel though - Michigan, NV, SoCAL, NY. Not all these places, but one. It is possible to stay in bay area if you really try. but then you will be moving around a lot - Marin to SF to Solano county, etc.

bottom line - tucom is what it is. personally, i think we are the best osteopathic out there. simply b/c we're in the bay area we attract decent students and prof. Examples - public health prof is a Harvard Med School MD and PhD. Some of anatomy profs also work in UCSF anatomy lab.

Also, you CAN do research at Touro if you want. definitely possibly. not that you'll have the time. you won't.

so that's some info. hope it helps.

do your own homework.

good luck!!

Members don't see this ad.

SOUNDMAN said:
Move to pre-osteo???
yeah, i could put it there. but i thought maybe some pre-allopathic people might be interested.

hope that's okay.

b

Members don't see this ad :)
bth7 - That is a fantastic post. I'll be attending TUCOM next year as a first year and am happy to hear the things you're happy about at the school. Best of luck to you. (By the way, Bay Area IS the best place in the United States.)

hamandcheese said:
bth7 - That is a fantastic post. I'll be attending TUCOM next year as a first year and am happy to hear the things you're happy about at the school. Best of luck to you. (By the way, Bay Area IS the best place in the United States.)

glad you agree. :)

congrats on your acceptance.

bryan

The B man speaketh the truth!! But clearly, he's brilliant, so I would expect no less. :D :D :D

Great post, B. I'm too lazy to go point by point, but you hit the nail on the head with most of your observations.
To all of you coming in for an interview, i'm also a tour guide so feel free to PM me! I have no input to the ad com so ask me anything and I'll answer as honestly as I can.

CoverMe said:
The B man speaketh the truth!! But clearly, he's brilliant, so I would expect no less. :D :D :D

You flatter me. I assure you I am unworthy.

:D :D Oddly enough... this is the only place you're modest!!!!!! :D :D :D

Wow, so we still have '09ers posting on this website? hehe......it's been a while since I posted on here. Needed a little break from BSF Cardio :eek: so I figured I'd check this site out.

And to those who got accepted so far for TUCOM Class of 2010, CONGRATULATIONS! :D :thumbup: Looking forward to meeting you guys next year. And good luck to everyone else who's gonna go to an interview. :luck:

Alright, back to studying....

Broadcasting live from the Touro Library!!! I took the 03 and 04 BSF Cardio tests and got 83% both times (grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr). JC hasn't studied, just took it, and got 93%... UFB!!!!!!!! (okay, he's arguing with me... he says he actually studied...he read the notes once, and went to class)

Anyway, indeed, best of luck to all of this years' applicants... I love this school, and my classmates are highly entertaining... if I had any advice, it would be to disregard most of the things you "hear" about touro, and come see for yourself.

:luck: :luck: Best of luck!! :luck: :luck:

Sitting in the libarary this afternoon, in between exams, I saw two different interview groups go by. As my hair falls out, and my eyes get scrunchy lines at the corners and my neck aches from bending over notes... I stop and think. HOLY COW, I'M SO GLAD I'M SITTING HERE AND NOT WALKING BY ON A TOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (although each of you looked handsome and beautiful and black-suit-ish!!!)

The application year is so stressful... you don't know where you're going, or where you even want to end up sometimes. Just to let you know... it just keeps getting more stressful, and it just keeps getting better and better and better and BETTER!

I turned to a couple of my classmates and mentioned what I was thinking... they agreed with me too. Hope today's interviewees enjoyed themselves... we're probably looking more tired and stressed and less happy than normal, but that's blocks for ya.

:scared:
All hail the great P9! May we pleaseth his glorious eminence.
:scared:

P-9 Overlooketh all!!!!!!!!

For those who don't attend Tucom-MI (or for those who DO, but never look up), P9 is the FREAKIN' GINORMOUS CRANE that is in between the school and the water. it runs on two parallel sets of railroad tracks and can lift 100,000 tons!!!!!!! P-9 was George Lucas' inspiration for the vehicles in Star Wars (i don't remember what they called them, but Luke felled one with a lasso trick).

Watching P-9 move or lift things is totally incredible... before I leave touro I plan on talking the owners into letting me into the control room and checking it out (and lifting a submarine or something).

Attachments

• P9 Small.JPG
    P9 Small.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 89