UC Davis c/o 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you both for the ray of hope! :cool: :cool: Fingers crossed!

Members don't see this ad.

So I haven't heard a peep from U.C. Davis admissions. All the other schools I applied to have sent a confirmation except OK, and I know that they never do. No other schools are missing anything, so I'm hoping that Davis isn't either.

I don't think we'll hear anything from them before T'Giving.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year I got an email on Nov. 23 that my app was complete.

Sorry to get off topic, but real quick, TT, you got a confirmation email from Ohio State? I haven't received one, although my transcripts are the only thing listed on my account and they say "complete." I asked this on the Ohio applicants thread and no one responded so I thought I'd ask since you said you got a confirmation from every school.

Good luck to everyone who applied to Davis!

Well, I got a login for that system, and it also lists my transcripts but nothing else.

So I guess I meant that I got some sort of... acknowledgement of existence... from all of the other schools, confirmation or otherwise.

I haven't heard from Davis either, but I hadn't started to worry yet, because my other two schools are Colorado (haven't heard a peep) and Tufts (application not even due yet). Thanks, Squibby, for the November 23 datapoint!

I called Davis a couple weeks ago and they said it could take as long as a couple months to go through apps and let us know if anything is missing. And then you have 5 days to get it submitted. So....I wouldnt worry just yet.

And to make matters worse....I didn't hear that my application was complete until January 7th when I applied......almost 4 whole months!!!

They do everything in "batches" here so just be patient! =)

When did you have your interview? Or I guess the question should be...when aer Davis interviews usually conducted?

Last several years, emails have gone out in mid-February and interviews have been conducted late February to mid March, then decisions have gone out at the end of March. Like clockwork.

I got an e-mail on November 18th that my application was complete. The next e-mail I got was on February 11th, inviting me to interview. Interviews were Feb 23rd - March 13th, so I had to call in and request a date and time. I got my admission e-mail on March 23rd, so only about 3 weeks before the deadline (April 15th) to inform schools of your decision!!

They were definitely the last school I heard from in every regard, and I applied to 8 schools. It was absolutely worth it, but it's definitely an exercise in patience :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for those answers. I am just curious....I have never applied before so I don't quite know how the interview invite works. Sounds like the Davis interviews will be either the week before or the week of finals for my school. Is there any flexibility in choosing your interview date? Are they ever conducted on the weekend?

Thanks for those answers. I am just curious....I have never applied before so I don't quite know how the interview invite works. Sounds like the Davis interviews will be either the week before or the week of finals for my school. Is there any flexibility in choosing your interview date? Are they ever conducted on the weekend?
There is a 3-4 week window for your interview if I recall, and you get to call and pick the day and time you want (getting through on the phone is another story though).

Interviews are during the week.

Perhaps you can ask for a weekend but I doubt it. They are giving you a lot more flexibility than most in picking your interview time.

Also, many professors will adjust your exam if you have a scheduled interview (I had 2 exams adjusted for interview conflicts).

I would recommend not worrying any of this right now. Let's face it, if you get the interview you will be more than happy to deal with the details.

I just got an "application complete" email from Davis.

They won't go out at the same time. Don't worry about it one bit.

Seriously, don't.

I got my app complete email in late December both times. Others got them anytime from late October to when I did.

I got my app complete email in late December both times.

Jeez, I will have already heard a definitive Yes or No from CSU by then. Just wish the schools could coordinate their timelines a bit more.

Well this all gives me a little more hope for Davis, since it is my IS school. I know people who got in with similar low stats like mine, so i am hoping my surgical research experience will help set me apart just a little. Ahhh, deep breathes everyone! We have a long wait.

Well this all gives me a little more hope for Davis, since it is my IS school. I know people who got in with similar low stats like mine, so i am hoping my surgical research experience will help set me apart just a little. Ahhh, deep breathes everyone! We have a long wait.

It's my IS too and top choice— why must it be the last one I'll hear from?? Gah! I'll be biting my nails 'til the very end! :scared:

Hey there...so I thought I would update the other Davis applicants as to the timeline.

I got my confirmation email of "complete application" today.

Translation: They have received GRE scores, transcripts, and evals.
This does NOT mean that they have reviewed your application in any way NOR have they reviewed/accepted your pre-reqs.

Interview invites: invites will be sent out via email in February

Interviews: mid-Feb to late-March

Acceptance/Denial: via email no later than April 1

Hope this helps!! Don't be worried if you haven't gotten your completed app email yet. They do they in bunches....

Hey there...so I thought I would update the other Davis applicants as to the timeline.

I got my confirmation email of "complete application" today.

Translation: They have received GRE scores, transcripts, and evals.
This does NOT mean that they have reviewed your application in any way NOR have they reviewed/accepted your pre-reqs.

Interview invites: invites will be sent out via email in February

Interviews: mid-Feb to late-March

Acceptance/Denial: via email no later than April 1

Hope this helps!! Don't be worried if you haven't gotten your completed app email yet. They do they in bunches....

Ya, I posted this info in the "Timelines" thread too. :)

Hey guys! Just wanted to make sure everyone is hanging in there okay :) It's worth the wait - trust me!

I'm not sure how aware you guys are about this, but Davis' class of 2015 is going to have a major curriculum overhaul. Davis will be on the semester system with blocks. There will be fewer hours of class and lab, with some PBL mixed in. They're getting rid of the tracks, and elective blocks can be taken starting third year. Nyan is on the Curriculum Committee, so she might be able to field really specific questions, but I just wanted to point out that accepted students will be the first to experience this exciting change!

I know I'll be jealous of the first year's next year when they have less class than the 2014'ers . . .

Hey guys! Just wanted to make sure everyone is hanging in there okay :) It's worth the wait - trust me!

I'm not sure how aware you guys are about this, but Davis' class of 2015 is going to have a major curriculum overhaul. Davis will be on the semester system with blocks. There will be fewer hours of class and lab, with some PBL mixed in. They're getting rid of the tracks, and elective blocks can be taken starting third year. Nyan is on the Curriculum Committee, so she might be able to field really specific questions, but I just wanted to point out that accepted students will be the first to experience this exciting change!

I know I'll be jealous of the first year's next year when they have less class than the 2014'ers . . .

I was reading an article in "Western Livestock Journal" this morning talking about Davis increasing their acceptance numbers of people interested in Large Animal medicine....something about an "admissions edge"....is that for class of 2015 too or something further in the future do you think?

Every year there are people who wonder if saying they're food animal will help them get accepted. If you have enough evidence on your application to support this, and it's a genuine interest, then perhaps it does help with admissions somewhat. But Davis specifically emphasizes that your stated area of interest should be the area in which you have the most hours of experience, and the most passion in your interview. So, if you have more hours with small animal, but some work with cattle and like them too, you probably shouldn't emphasize wanting to be a bovine vet in your application . . .

Also, our class only has a handful of food animal people (I can only really think of 3 or 4), so it's not like everyone who states this as an interest gets in.

That sounds really exciting. Creativity in curriculum design was the one thing Davis was lacking IMO.

But Davis specifically emphasizes that your stated area of interest should be the area in which you have the most hours of experience, and the most passion in your interview. So, if you have more hours with small animal, but some work with cattle and like them too, you probably shouldn't emphasize wanting to be a bovine vet in your application . . .

Unless you really want to be a bovine vet, in which case it would be ridiculous to state otherwise. Personally, I really DO want to do food animal work, and I absolutely made that clear on my application. I have plenty of bovine hours, but my SA hours are off the chart since I owned a boarding kennel for many years. There wasn't a lot of call for cow boarding in my area (Dammit! :))

Unless you really want to be a bovine vet, in which case it would be ridiculous to state otherwise. Personally, I really DO want to do food animal work, and I absolutely made that clear on my application. I have plenty of bovine hours, but my SA hours are off the chart since I owned a boarding kennel for many years. There wasn't a lot of call for cow boarding in my area (Dammit! :))

True. I was referring to vet hours mostly, though. Sorry if that wasn't clear. For instance, if you have a couple hundred hours shadowing a dairy vet, and a couple thousand working as a tech or shadowing a SA vet, adcoms might not look kindly upon an applicant like this saying they've always dreamed of being a bovine vet and want to pursue that in vet school.

I personally had 1500+ hours working with wildlife, and 200+ working with cows (in addition to SA and equine work). I really loved shadowing cow vet med, but a Davis adcom advised me not to bring up possibly keeping this option open in my PS and interview and that I should only emphasize my desire to become a zoo/wildlife vet.

I hope Davis is kind to me, or that they look st diagnostic lab experience as "pathology" related. Path is a bit hard to get tons of volunteer hours in.

Haha. Not sure it even matters.

I do like the curriculum change, though! Quarters are weird, anyway. :hungover:

For instance, if you have a couple hundred hours shadowing a dairy vet, and a couple thousand working as a tech or shadowing a SA vet, adcoms might not look kindly upon an applicant like this saying they've always dreamed of being a bovine vet and want to pursue that in vet school.

Maybe I'm a bit dense, but I don't understand this kind of attitude from an adcom. We're told to get as much varied experience as possible, and many of us really need to make some money while we're in school. You can't work for a bovine vet and go to school because the vets are out on the road all day. It seems perfectly plausible to me that you could have more SA (or whatever) hours than LA, and still know that you want to do LA med. So, what does the adcom want you to do? Lie, and say you want to work on puppies???

I'll wonder about this if I am not granted an interview. This just seems so strange to me.

For what it's worth, my track that I indicated wasn't my greatest number of hours by a long shot (I think I had like 800 equine hours and maybe like 2500 small animal? something like that). I had justification behind it and they didn't question it. I wouldn't worry about it unless you only have like 20 hours large animal and 2k hours small animal and you went in saying you wanted to be a cow vet. That would be a little weird.

Also I *believe* they're more or less flushing the tracking down the toilet with the new curriculum, although that could be something I made up in my head that I remembered Nyanko saying when she was actually talking about her favorite muscle of the dog. Nyanko? New curriculum is way more awesome than the current one. I'm jealous.

Yeah, no more tracking. And no more electives til third year, when there will be elective blocks.

LivestockDoc - I'm sure as long as your application is consistent and "not suspicious" or incongruent in any way, you should be fine! I didn't mean to scare you or anyone else . . . just passing on what I've been told and what worked for me. There is no one right answer/best application when it comes to admissions!

LivestockDoc - I'm sure as long as your application is consistent and "not suspicious" or incongruent in any way, you should be fine! I didn't mean to scare you or anyone else . . . just passing on what I've been told and what worked for me. There is no one right answer/best application when it comes to admissions!

I appreciate that, Moosenanny. Of course, I'm going to be anxious anyway until I hear something from them!

Are there any details online about the curriculum changes? I'm not seeing anything on the website about it and am very curious about what's happening.

I got an email today that my application was complete. Now just waiting. :eek:

Got my application complete e-mail today. One step closer...:xf:

I haven't gotten any sort of complete application email either, should I be concerned??

I haven't gotten any sort of complete application email either, should I be concerned??
I've heard it can take as long as mid-December to get those. By now I don't remember where I heard that, so take it with a grain of salt, but if my memory is right you don't have to panic yet!!

Finally received a confirmation e-mail that they have all of my application essentials. I don't remember them posting a link to student programs last year...hopefully the site will provide some sincerely helpful updates. Good luck everyone.

the link:
http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/studentprograms/

I don't think they ever updated anything on this website last year -- all announcements were sent via email. In fact, I think the website still said something about interview invites going out in the future even after all of the interviews had been conducted!

I don't think they ever updated anything on this website last year -- all announcements were sent via email. In fact, I think the website still said something about interview invites going out in the future even after all of the interviews had been conducted!

It doesn't look like they will be doing much updating this year either— they have yet to even update the interview information on their website (information that was in the confirmation-of-materials email). :/

Finally got my confirmation e-mail! But my application was incomplete because they hadn't received my transcripts from a community college that I took one class at. Ahhh! I know I sent them during September, too. So I re-ordered them with rush delivery and hopefully they'll get sent soon.

The way I'm looking at it is, at least I know they got my application. :laugh:

Hi All, I wish you all the best in applying this year to Davis, my dream came true last year, I'm in the class of 2014. I have started a blog and figured some of you might find it interesting. Let me know if there is anything you are interested in seeing me write about. Thanks! Follow the link...

http://livingmydreamkn.blogspot.com/