UMDNJ-SOM Discussion Thread 2012 -2013

Started by JamesLMT
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Haha, and we're both from jersey (I think I saw you say that somewhere). Got a lot in common there gsun88. Nice to meet a fellow future military doc. Did u submit your HPSP yet?

Same undergrad location as well. Nice to meet you too. I have everything prepped and ready to do. Cleared MEPS, got a file waiting with my recruiter ready to go in as soon as I get an acceptance. You?
 
I actually have a similar story with being an EMT and wanting to be responsible for the definitive care of patients as a doc, but I wrote that in my PS.

I feel like my essay is just making an excuse up for why osteopathy. Ultimately, I think OMM and the holistic approach enhances patient care, but at the same time I don't think it is significantly different from MD programs. Although I am interested in OMM, I'm also applying to allopathic schools, so I'm trying to walk a balance between the two.

I talk about an HIV patient I saw when I shadowed, and how he couldn't deal with the shame of his diagnosis. I show how that comes back and affects his treatment adherence. So I make the point that a DO is trained to look at spirit mind and body, and demonstrate how I think these are all important. Then I say that because allopathic medicine has adopted the "whole patient" view, the discrepancies aren't as clear cut, but osteopathy still focuses on the issues surrounding the patient outside of the scope of their disease. I say that how addressing these issues as an osteopath can benefit the patients health, in this example.

I then say how systemic changes in the lives of my patients is important to me, but I don't really have any experience in mind that I can use to show that.
 
Same undergrad location as well. Nice to meet you too. I have everything prepped and ready to do. Cleared MEPS, got a file waiting with my recruiter ready to go in as soon as I get an acceptance. You?

Very true, what year did you graduate again? I'm still working on my motivational statement, how long was yours?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Maybe you can relate OMM or the osteopathic philosophy with that HIV patient, or with some other pathological condition you, a family member, friend, another patient you've encountered, suffers from? The links below, although doesn't provide much information, is an example of things you can find from a quick google search, its a study on the effect of OMM on HIV positive males who are not receiving treatment.

http://www.aof-foundation.org/index.cfm?fa=news.videos&video=345
http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00703248





I actually have a similar story with being an EMT and wanting to be responsible for the definitive care of patients as a doc, but I wrote that in my PS.

I feel like my essay is just making an excuse up for why osteopathy. Ultimately, I think OMM and the holistic approach enhances patient care, but at the same time I don't think it is significantly different from MD programs. Although I am interested in OMM, I'm also applying to allopathic schools, so I'm trying to walk a balance between the two.

I talk about an HIV patient I saw when I shadowed, and how he couldn't deal with the shame of his diagnosis. I show how that comes back and affects his treatment adherence. So I make the point that a DO is trained to look at spirit mind and body, and demonstrate how I think these are all important. Then I say that because allopathic medicine has adopted the "whole patient" view, the discrepancies aren't as clear cut, but osteopathy still focuses on the issues surrounding the patient outside of the scope of their disease. I say that how addressing these issues as an osteopath can benefit the patients health, in this example.

I then say how systemic changes in the lives of my patients is important to me, but I don't really have any experience in mind that I can use to show that.
 
Hi all,
I know UMDNJ requires 2 science faculty letters. It says that a letter from a DO is not required but recommended. I only have a letter from an MD whom I have worked for 3 years. (I have been exposed to DOs and ostepathic medicine.. I just don't have a letter). Should I send my MD letter or no? Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
 
anyone?!?!??

Hi all,
I know UMDNJ requires 2 science faculty letters. It says that a letter from a DO is not required but recommended. I only have a letter from an MD whom I have worked for 3 years. (I have been exposed to DOs and ostepathic medicine.. I just don't have a letter). Should I send my MD letter or no? Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
 
anyone?!?!??

Absolutely send that letter. Although a DO letter is preferred, an MD letter will at least show you have shadowed a physician. Understand that although DO schools want you to be interested in osteopathic medicine rather than allopathic, they still have an appreciation and respect for their MD counterpart. If you were to go into a DO interview and put down the MD philosophy, you would greatly reduce your chance for admissions. So send that letter! Haha.
 
Hi all,
I know UMDNJ requires 2 science faculty letters. It says that a letter from a DO is not required but recommended. I only have a letter from an MD whom I have worked for 3 years. (I have been exposed to DOs and ostepathic medicine.. I just don't have a letter). Should I send my MD letter or no? Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

I applied without an DO or MD letter. It's ok, just talk about your physician interactions in your interview
 
Thanks playaodamonth and Dr. SunDai! I think I shall send the MD letter. I will talk about my experiences geared toward ostepathic medicine of course!

Absolutely send that letter. Although a DO letter is preferred, an MD letter will at least show you have shadowed a physician. Understand that although DO schools want you to be interested in osteopathic medicine rather than allopathic, they still have an appreciation and respect for their MD counterpart. If you were to go into a DO interview and put down the MD philosophy, you would greatly reduce your chance for admissions. So send that letter! Haha.

I applied without an DO or MD letter. It's ok, just talk about your physician interactions in your interview
 
Thanks playaodamonth and Dr. SunDai! I think I shall send the MD letter. I will talk about my experiences geared toward ostepathic medicine of course!

You're welcome! Be sure to let us know if you get an interview!! :::fingers crossed:::
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Going Army. No heritage but I did ROTC for a year and dropped so I don't get stuck in an MOS I don't want. Been keeping my standards up for the APFT.

Good move. A friend of mine did ROTC, had a nursing scholarship and ended up dropping the major (career path wasn't for her). So instead of being in a military hospital in San Diego or Maryland, she's now in Africa in transit to her ship. Ah well, good experience either way.
 
Good move. A friend of mine did ROTC, had a nursing scholarship and ended up dropping the major (career path wasn't for her). So instead of being in a military hospital in San Diego or Maryland, she's now in Africa in transit to her ship. Ah well, good experience either way.

That's why I loved my XO. She was harsh but always right.
 
Are you both applying to Navy HSPS?

Future military doc +3

Just informed that I would need 2 waivers since my Masters GPA didn't really take cover of the undergrad grade and my MCAT sub-section doesn't meet min so I got screwed. There might be a chance I get 2 waivers but it's a slime chance. Anyway, I might not get the HPSP but i'll be back for Residency if I have to. Blah. Still Future military doc except without HPSP.
 
Try, you never know. I got medically cleared with history of asthma which is one of the big red flags.
 
Last edited:
I sent my app in like the second week in July (roughly the 11th or so) and I got the complete email on 8/3 🙂 Good luck!!
 
"Please complete your essay and include your responses to the following questions: (Please use font size 12 and limit your essay to one page. You may attach your essay to the application if additional space is needed.)"

Sounds like people wrote two essays, but it seems pretty clear to me from the prompt that it's a single essay answering two questions. And that the single essay should be a page. Essay not essays.

That being said I doubt they'll ding anyone who did it the other way.
 
"Please complete your essay and include your responses to the following questions: (Please use font size 12 and limit your essay to one page. You may attach your essay to the application if additional space is needed.)"

Sounds like people wrote two essays, but it seems pretty clear to me from the prompt that it's a single essay answering two questions. And that the single essay should be a page. Essay not essays.

That being said I doubt they'll ding anyone who did it the other way.

I read it as one essay and submitted it as such. To me it just looked like they wanted two clear distinct answers in the essay.

Guess we will see the results soon.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I submitted one essay with two distinct answers and just received an interview! But I'm sure either way is okay!
 
For those who just received an interview/received a complete email, when did they cash your check? My check and essay were sent a long time ago and I haven't received word that they have my materials and the check has not been cashed yet...
 
For those who just received an interview/received a complete email, when did they cash your check? My check and essay were sent a long time ago and I haven't received word that they have my materials and the check has not been cashed yet...

You might want to call them then. I have been completed and my cash/info has been submitted. I got a completion email and everything. No interview yet.
 
You might want to call them then. I have been completed and my cash/info has been submitted. I got a completion email and everything. No interview yet.

When did you send in your materials? I mailed mine to them on July 11th... Looks like I'll need to call. USPS has become increasingly unreliable.
 
When did you send in your materials? I mailed mine to them on July 11th... Looks like I'll need to call. USPS has become increasingly unreliable.

I take it back... I did just find it cashed on July 17th, but I have no complete email and it's up to them to access my letters via VirtualEvals. Maybe they just haven't gotten to mine yet.
 
Any other OOS students wondering if the whole reclassification of residency thing will still be "honored" when this school changes to Rowan? I'd rather not waste my money if not...

I believe this is a common practice for all NJ medical schools not just SOM. Call admissions for a better answer.
 
What's the general lag time b/w the check being cashed and the complete email? My check was cashed 8/14. (Yes, I am impatient! 😛)
 
What's the general lag time b/w the check being cashed and the complete email? My check was cashed 8/14. (Yes, I am impatient! 😛)

lol i'm so used to working in a hospital that at first glance, i thought you said "inpatient"
 
Interview invite!!!!!!!!! First one!!! In state, completed email July 10. Scheduled for October 5th. Got the phone call today at 4:00pm.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interview invite!!!!!!!!! First one!!! In state, completed email July 10. Scheduled for October 5th. Got the phone call today at 4:00pm.

When do you send your secondary? They cashed my check in mid-July. I never got a complete email though :-/. Guess I should call tomorrow. I'm in-state too.
 
When do you send your secondary? They cashed my check in mid-July. I never got a complete email though :-/. Guess I should call tomorrow. I'm in-state too.

I sent my secondary in when I got confirmation of my primary so around June 24th. I didn't wait for them to send me one.
 
I sent my secondary in when I got confirmation of my primary so around June 24th. I didn't wait for them to send me one.

Oh ok. I sent mine in when I was asked to do so which was July 9th. Sent in July 10th and credit card number attached was charged on the 17th. Maybe I haven't been complete because I didn't sent it before I got the request?
 
Oh ok. I sent mine in when I was asked to do so which was July 9th. Sent in July 10th and credit card number attached was charged on the 17th. Maybe I haven't been complete because I didn't sent it before I got the request?

Let me clarify, On June 24th, AACOMAS confirmed me saying they sent my data to UMDNJ. I turned in my secondary then. I got an email on July 9th saying they received my primary and then an email on July 10th saying I was complete. Def call