UMich vs. UNC vs. UWisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
COA for each school:

U Mich = ~ $279,000 (before financial aid or potential scholarships)
UNC =~ $132,000 (includes full instate tuition scholarship= 64k)
UW = ~$101,000 ( includes full tuition scholarship = 136k)

This was actually good for me to do because I never added the full COA for each school until now.
Just an FYI...UNCs financial office allocates way too much damn money for us to live on....im pretty much living (comfortably I might add) on half of what they allotted us.

But it seems that you are sucking UMich's D for some reason (match lists?? i will let law2doc explain this one to you.), so go there.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just an FYI...UNCs financial office allocates way too much damn money for us to live on....im pretty much living (comfortably I might add) on half of what they allotted us.

But it seems that you are sucking UMich's D for some reason (match lists?? i will let law2doc explain this one to you.), so go there.

Wow that was just rude, useless and unproductive exercise. Especially coming from a potential classmate. I do have a question for you and maybe I'll get a more positive response this time. Like I said I loved the three schools that I am mentioning. If I didn't like them I wouldn't be considering them. And if I was well versed in what it took to make such a big decision (or at least I think it is big) then I wouldn't be seeking advice. I know I expressed more interest in U Mich but I would hardly say that I was sucking their D. But to each his own.

So my question for you is can you enlighten me on what law2doc has to say about match list (and yes I know what the search function is. there are just way too many posts by him for me to sift through.)? Also I wasn't able to make it to UNC's second look and I'm going to the other two so if you could tell me the things you like about UNC and why it was great choice for you I'd love to hear it. I'm not sure what year you are but if you are in your clinical years I was wondering what you thought about rotating throughout the state? Like I said I loved U Mich but I prob have way more reasons to be considering UNC that don't even include the price difference.

Xie Xie
Merci
Muchas Gracias
Thank you

Bubbachuck

Last edited:
First of all, the match lists aren't qualitatively different, all three schools have a handful of elite top tier matches (10-15%) at top academic programs, with a bunch of solid matches at academic and community programs. The only difference is that Uw/unc send more people into primary care, and this is more based on the missions of the school and doesn't really affect how a given candidate. Finally, match lists reflect preference more than anything else. There are few situations where you'll get meaningful info from match lists besides looking at then year after year where you might see programs that people tend to match into.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow that was just rude, useless and unproductive exercise. Especially coming from a potential classmate. I do have a question for you and maybe I'll get a more positive response this time. Like I said I loved the three schools that I am mentioning. If I didn't like them I wouldn't be considering them. And if I was well versed in what it took to make such a big decision (or at least I think it is big) then I wouldn't be seeking advice. I know I expressed more interest in U Mich but I would hardly say that I was sucking their D. But to each his own.

So my question for you is can you enlighten me on what law2doc has to say about match list (and yes I know what the search function is. there are just way too many posts by him for me to sift through.)? Also I wasn't able to make it to UNC's second look and I'm going to the other two so if you could tell me the things you like about UNC and why it was great choice for you I'd love to hear it. I'm not sure what year you are but if you are in your clinical years I was wondering what you thought about rotating throughout the state? Like I said I loved U Mich but I prob have way more reasons to be considering UNC that don't even include the price difference.

Xie Xie
Merci
Muchas Gracias
Thank you

Bubbachuck

ill give you the abriged version of law2doc. What drizz said is basically what he normally says. basically match lists are utterly useless in his eyes (at least thats the jist i get when i read a few posts on it), and you shouldnt look at them for a few reasons. One is that you dont know what good programs are. Not everything that harvard or hopkins does is good and some programs are malignant apparently. Meaning just because you see john hopkins doesnt mean its "good." Second you dont know what a number one is too someone and some of the best programs in the country are from things you have never heard of. I.e the "best" neuro program is in some random hospital on phoenix AZ that most of us wouldnt know (i only know it because of an interview in creighton). Its like the barrow institute or something. Lastly, the kid with AOA and a 250+ step 1 may actually only want to do a small family practice residency. Therefore even though he ideally could have matched in rad onc at UCSF or something crazy like that, he/she choose as their number 1 some random family med residency pre meds like us wouldnt even know. Also we dont know what a number one is to that person. You may see like radiology hopkins, but who knows if that was the dudes number 5 match. In which case it probably wasnt all that successful to him, eventhough to a premed you might think omgwtfbbq thats awesome jhu. Lastly, people often choose residency based on location to family, kids, SO, etc etc...therefore their number one once again maybe some place not as "prestigious" though its their number 1 and therefore they had a great match even though they could have possibly matched at a place more "prestigious"

I think i hit on all his main points lol. maybe law2doc will come and correct me if i misunderstood his argument on this.

Last edited:
Sorry if I was rude, I didnt mean to be...but you seem to have a love affair with U mich and the only evidence that you gave to support it was match lists, so i was just offering my opinion and told you to go with it and head to U Mich. Im kind of with DrizzT about go where you will fit in, but I really question that statement because nowadays most all med schools curriculums are the same so the only things that would be different are weather, proximity to friends and family, and the actual city itself.

Im not on clinical rotations yet, but from what I can tell most everyone seems to like it because it changes things up...ya know different scenery. I do know, that compared to most of my other medical school friends at different schools, im having a helluva lot more fun then they are, if thats worth anything. If you have any specific questions let me know.

Next time ill know not to be so rash and sugar coat things for you;) just kidding.

I didn't hear this straight from the source but rumor has it, a couple years ago a girl from my school got the highest score in the country on step 1 (I think the # was 285 but I can't remember exactly, it was in that range) and ended up staying here for fam med... (granted we're the #1 fam med program but still...) anyways, it just goes to show.

here dude, while bored at work i found this for you ;).

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=689385&highlight=match+lists

law2doc, njbmed, and others talk about why in their opinions the match lists are not all that useful on the 1st page (post #32):)

Thanks for that post I appreciate it. I was more interested in people thoughts on match list in general and not because I put any credence in them to help me choose a school. I agree with what you and others have said about them.

Sorry if I was rude, I didnt mean to be...but you seem to have a love affair with U mich and the only evidence that you gave to support it was match lists, so i was just offering my opinion and told you to go with it and head to U Mich. Im kind of with DrizzT about go where you will fit in, but I really question that statement because nowadays most all med schools curriculums are the same so the only things that would be different are weather, proximity to friends and family, and the actual city itself.

Im not on clinical rotations yet, but from what I can tell most everyone seems to like it because it changes things up...ya know different scenery. I do know, that compared to most of my other medical school friends at different schools, im having a helluva lot more fun then they are, if thats worth anything. If you have any specific questions let me know.

Next time ill know not to be so rash and sugar coat things for you;) just kidding.

Haha I like this post much better. And I didn't think your post before was rude sometimes I'm overly sensitive. Please don't sugar coat your answer. And as I was touching upon a little in the post above. U Mich match list is probably the last reason I liked it so much. My "love affair" started with them before March 18th or whenever match day was. Now that I look back on my previous posts I can see why you and others thought that was big part of my decision making progress. I could care less what a school's match list or avg step 1 score is. I know I will have to take care of my business either way. And I'm starting to agree with you that their may not he a big difference bw schools besides what you listed. I know I will be happy at any of my options. Thanks for your response though, it was helpful.

Last edited:
Haha I like this post much better. And I didn't think your post before was rude sometimes I'm overly sensitive. Please don't sugar coat your answer. And as I was touching upon a little in the post above. U Mich match list is probably the last reason I liked it so much. My "love affair" started with them before March 18th or whenever match day was. Now that I look back on my previous posts I can see why you and others thought that was big part of my decision making progress. I could care less what a school's match list or avg step 1 score is. I know I will have to take care of my business either way. And I'm starting to agree with you that their may not he a big difference bw schools besides what you listed. I know I will be happy at any of my options. Thanks for your response though, it was helpful.
No problem, i apologize again. For what its worth, i am definitely loving my time here, and No Im not a "Tarheel born, a tarheel bred, and when I die im a tarheel dead."

But there sports definitely are growing on me.

Hi BubbaChuck3! First of all, congrats on your awesome acceptances. It seems like you have a tough choice and are waiting on possible money from U Mich to make your decision, which seems logical to me. From what you've said it appears that, money aside, U Mich would be your first choice, so it might behoove you to decide on a number - as in how much money would UMich have to offer you for you to go there over UNC or UW? That way, if/when the scholarship offer rolls in, you'll be able to make your decision more easily.

Best of luck to you!

I'd like to humbly retract my negative comments about UMich and cite gross misunderstanding on my part. A poster messaged me about publicly clarifying my position and situation so that others do not get a negative impression about UMich from my erroneous posts. I'll repost the PM's that I have also posted in the 2009-2010 University of Michigan Application Thread:

My negative remarks about Michigan were in response to their promises of generous aid to those with low EFC's who are OOS in order to lower the cost of attendance to reasonable levels. When I didn't receive anything on the scholarship release day, I incorrectly assumed that Michigan was asking me to pay the entire $67k cost of attendance, which infuriated me, as my family and I have no money whatsoever. We're talking $300k+ debt when interest is accounted for. I was furious, as I knew how much scholarship money Michigan has to give out.

I did receive a need-based grant the next week, but my comments had already been made, and I regret that I misunderstood that their scholarship release dates were different for need-based and merit-based.

Also, I spoke with Director Ruiz several times over the phone and explained my situation, and he was very understanding. I made a huge mistake, and it wasn't the first and it won't be the last time. I don't think I owe anything to posters on these boards, as everything on here has to be taken with a great deal of salt, and people know that. I did owe Michigan an explanation, and I gave them that explanation both in e-mail form and over the phone with Director Ruiz himself. They most definitely read these forums, and I'm ok with that. It's a public place.

I hope I didn't offend you, or anyone else, and If I did, all I can do is apologize. I'm sorry. Regardless, I'll be attending Michigan next year, so hopefully I'll be able to make it up to my classmates when I meet them very soon.

Let me know if you have any other questions for me.

I wish you the best,
Stein

Thanks for your explanation, it is exactly what I assumed and explains why I was originally baffled by your outrage over the merit money - big difference from need based and it seems you had an honest misunderstanding. Glad it was rectified and that you are excited about going to Michigan.

While I appreciate your explanation to me personally, I think that since you posted public comments, it behooves you to give a brief explanation about your prior erroneous beliefs and statements. It only seems fair to me that you honor Michigan's reputation for integrity since you publicly called it into question.

These boards are perused by many and although they should be taken with the proverbial salt, they do influence people's perceptions. To preserve your own credibility and to set the record straight, please address your situation in a follow-up on the forum.

Thanks for admitting your mistake and best of luck at Michigan. All these experiences contribute to becoming a better person and therefore a better doctor. Your future is bright!

Go Blue!

I'd like to humbly retract my negative comments about UMich and cite gross misunderstanding on my part. A poster messaged me about publicly clarifying my position and situation so that others do not get a negative impression about UMich from my erroneous posts. I'll repost the PM's that I have also posted in the 2009-2010 University of Michigan Application Thread:

Thanks for that. It takes a lot to admit when you are wrong. But I think you forgot one more thread lol http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=715232&page=2& Just trying to help.

I went with Michigan. Just felt like the right choice. Thank you everyone for your input. And just a disclaimer the prices are much closer than what I first described so it made it a much easier pill to swallow. Although that deposit was still paid a little reluctantly,lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.