2020-2021 UNC - Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Current students - do you have any input on the clinical site you are assigned to for rotations or is it random?

Current students - do you have any input on the clinical site you are assigned to for rotations or is it random?

You will get some input. You will rank three campuses for your rotations and they try to match you with one of those. I think they said about 95% of students get their first choice.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Prompt 1: Describe a situation, or an experience, you’ve had when you were unsuccessful. Tell us what you learned from this experience.
Prompt 2: Give an example of how you made a difference in someone’s life and explain what this experience taught you about yourself.
Prompt 3: What motivates you to apply to UNC School of Medicine?
Prompt 4: UNC School of Medicine values diversity and inclusion across the institution. We believe that education and professional development are enhanced in educational settings that include individuals from diverse backgrounds and experiences. Please describe how your background and/or experiences would contribute to the UNC SOM community?

1000 characters

Are these prompts for this year that was posted by UNC early, or simply copy of last year's prompts?

Does anyone know if UNC makes any exceptions to their stats course requirement as well as the requirement for 30 hours of post-bacc coursework if you are outside of the 5 year limit on pre-reqs? I am several years out from undergrad and did a formal post-bacc program, but that was only 24 hours. I would take stats, but I'm not exactly sure how that will work out during this pandemic.

Do the characters for secondary prompts include spaces? Thanks!

Are their stat requirements for the MCAT a hard stance? Specifically the one that says "514 minimum MCAT score for out of state applicants." Are they just saying that is the score you need to be competitive or that they will auto-reject you if you are out of state with <514?

Are their stat requirements for the MCAT a hard stance? Specifically the one that says "514 minimum MCAT score for out of state applicants." Are they just saying that is the score you need to be competitive or that they will auto-reject you if you are out of state with <514?
according to MSAR, it doesn't seem to be a hard stance

Does anyone know if the requirements for 2 advanced biology classes are strictly only microbiology, cell biology, genetics, and physiology? For ex, if I took genetics and an advanced neuroscience class at my school, would this satisfy their requirement? Thanks!
I would ask UNC SOM admisdions

You will get some input. You will rank three campuses for your rotations and they try to match you with one of those. I think they said about 95% of students get their first choice.
Is the Charlotte program still an option for rotations?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how strict their stats course requirement is? Same re: 3 social/behavioral courses--I've taken courses that could count as anthropology, but not strictly in that department.

Does anyone know how strict their stats course requirement is? Same re: 3 social/behavioral courses--I've taken courses that could count as anthropology, but not strictly in that department.
I wouldn’t take a chance with a response here, email UNCSOM directly. I did!

OOS received!

Give an example of how you made a difference in someone’s life and explain what this experience taught you about yourself. (500 words)
What motivates you to apply to UNC School of Medicine? (500 words)
UNC School of Medicine values diversity and inclusion across the institution. We believe that education and professional development are enhanced in educational settings that include individuals from diverse backgrounds and experiences. Please describe how your background and/or experiences would contribute to the UNC SOM community? (500 words)
Please use the space below for anything you might wish to discuss related to the COVD-19 public health crisis. Possible topics might include: your biggest lessons and insights from the pandemic, creative ways in which you were able to serve your community during the crisis, hardships you may have faced as a result of the virus, and/or quarantine. (750 words)

Reactions: 1 user
OOS received!
+1 - From the email "CASPer testing is required of all applicants. You will need to provide proof of registration for a future test date, or indicate that you have already completed CASPer testing by providing the test date. If providing proof of registration, note that your application will be incomplete until we receive your score from CASPer. You will see the form to complete on your status page after submitting your application."

I cannot find UNC as a school to distribute scores on the Casper site? Is anyone else having this issue?

UNC stated that Casper was no longer required on their website, maybe this was mistakenly sent out?

+1 - From the email "CASPer testing is required of all applicants. You will need to provide proof of registration for a future test date, or indicate that you have already completed CASPer testing by providing the test date. If providing proof of registration, note that your application will be incomplete until we receive your score from CASPer. You will see the form to complete on your status page after submitting your application."

I cannot find UNC as a school to distribute scores on the Casper site? Is anyone else having this issue?

UNC stated that Casper was no longer required on their website, maybe this was mistakenly sent out?
I added my other schools to my CASPer results a week ago and yeah UNC was not there. I believe they were there when I originally registered for the exam. Maybe this info is outdated?

Have any of you had any success communicating with admissions?? I tried calling a while ago and was told they are only communicating through email as they are working remotely. Sent an email on July 14th to [email protected] and have not heard back yet...

IS applicants - is there a form on the secondary about RDS/residency designation service?

Have any IS applicants received a secondary?

I hope that this is a mistake since I also did see that on their website (and am not applying to any schools that require the test so I haven't taken it lol).

But I do recall seeing that so you are not the only one!

Have any of you had any success communicating with admissions?? I tried calling a while ago and was told they are only communicating through email as they are working remotely. Sent an email on July 14th to [email protected] and have not heard back yet...

Yeah, do not hold your breath. I have had little luck with UNC admissions and I go here for undergrad. They are horribly unresponsive and uncoordinated.

secondary received. International (Canadian), non-trad, ORM

I added my other schools to my CASPer results a week ago and yeah UNC was not there. I believe they were there when I originally registered for the exam. Maybe this info is outdated?
I contacted admissions and they said that they are no longer requiring it. The email that came out was an error and they are working with IT to rectify the problem.

For the academics page, if you're a current student at a university and going to graduate next year with a degree, are you answering no for did you receive a degree or certificate?

For the academics page, if you're a current student at a university and going to graduate next year with a degree, are you answering no for did you receive a degree or certificate?

I would assume that you should say yes, if you are able to enter a tentative end date.

Who else gonna paste in their pre-written 1000 character responses instead of writing 500 and 750 word essays? Anyone? No? ok:(

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently pre-writing, but is anyone thinking of going very political in the COVID essay? I'm thinking eff it. Let me put my more bolder thoughts on there.

they sent an update email. no casper but they are doing the AAMC VITA

• Angry
I contacted admissions and they said that they are no longer requiring it. The email that came out was an error and they are working with IT to rectify the problem.
How did you reach them? Did you just reply to the email? Still waiting for their reply to my email..

How did you reach them? Did you just reply to the email? Still waiting for their reply to my email..
I emailed [email protected]

Unsure if that is the email that they used to send out the secondary application, but that is the email they said to contact when I called their admissions office. No one answered the phone, it was a pre-recorded message directing students to the email.

Who else gonna paste in their pre-written 1000 character responses instead of writing 500 and 750 word essays? Anyone? No? ok:(
I may consider it, I was so mad when I saw that after I got two of the essays down to 999 characters. My alternate is to copy/paste from other secondaries to beef it up a bit and just shoot for 350 words, I guess.

Is the new covid essay optional? I plan on answering it anyway, just wondering if it is required though.

I'm technically an OOS applicant but I grew up about 10 minutes away from Charlotte (I was still a resident of South Carolina, though). I'm pretty familiar with NC (especially Asheville, Charlotte, and Greensboro area) and lived in an adjacent state. Will this really help with having close ties to the state?? I know UNC has a heavy bias against OOS but I really like the school having visited a few times.
You may be in a middle place in between official IS applicants and OOS residents with no ties in terms of bias. Some other heavy IS-preference state schools I've looked at will directly put on their website that they put applicants in those 3 tiers of ISness. I think it'd definitely help in your Why UNC essay!

Secondary received, OOS applicant (below their recommended stats)

Surprised I got it this quick! Was just verified this morning!

Did yall get a confirmation email or anything once you submitted your secondary?

Still waiting for secondary. OOS. Website says everyone gets a secondary though.
I believe there are cut-offs for OOS but also it seems that they're not always followed.

Quoted from their website: Out-of-state applicants – the criteria is very competitive and it is also our largest applicant pool. The applicants who meet the following academic criteria at the undergraduate level , as well as, the total MCAT score indicated, are considered competitive applicants. The criteria are: a minimum science GPA (BCPM) of 3.49, minimum cumulative GPA of 3.59, and a minimum total MCAT score of 514.

I believe there are cut-offs for OOS but also it seems that they're not always followed.

Quoted from their website: Out-of-state applicants – the criteria is very competitive and it is also our largest applicant pool. The applicants who meet the following academic criteria at the undergraduate level , as well as, the total MCAT score indicated, are considered competitive applicants. The criteria are: a minimum science GPA (BCPM) of 3.49, minimum cumulative GPA of 3.59, and a minimum total MCAT score of 514.

Interesting, though my stats are well above the cutoff.

Interesting, though my stats are well above the cutoff.
I'd just give it time then!

Also check your spam folder if you haven't. Mine was sitting in there for two days before I noticed it :dead:

" Biological Sciences – Three biology courses are required. Two must be advanced biology courses and one must include a laboratory. Acceptable advanced biology courses include: Microbiology, Cell and Molecular Biology, Physiology, and Genetics. "

Does anyone know if the 'one must include a laboratory' is referring to an advanced bio course with a lab, or do they mean out of the 3 bio courses, 1 has to have a lab?