2020-2021 UNC - Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For all those that were decided on Friday are we accepting that it’s a rejection?

Members don't see this ad.

Well the closer it gets to 4:00 I’m starting to think we won’t know anything today

Members don't see this ad :)
Well the closer it gets to 4:00 I’m starting to think we won’t know anything today
I feel like if it was an acceptance, you would've at least gotten a call today but I could be wrong. It's really odd for you to wait this long for finding out why it's decided.

Reactions: 1 users
I feel like if it was an acceptance, you would've at least gotten a call today but I could be wrong. It's really odd for you to wait this long for finding out why it's decided.
maybe they’re holding off on updating our portals until they finish their committee meeting today? no idea! this has been so stressful!

Their website says this: "We will begin releasing offers of acceptance in December, and subsequently in February, March and April. We will also send unsuccessful notifications at those times." Makes me wonder if they actually planned to be done by today or not, even though that theory was supposedly confirmed by someone here who knows an MS1.
She very well could have been wrong. We’re all grasping at straws at this point with the patterns and theories. She did say they were using March 15th as a deadline they were trying to follow.

I am just extremely frustrated that they have us on a string like this. I just wish they would give us an answer so we came move on

I will say on Friday, with so few of us saying decided I had my hopes up for good news, but now I have no clue what to think. Sorry for venting this is just the only place where I feel people are going through the same thing as me.

Reactions: 3 users
I will say on Friday, with so few of us saying decided I had my hopes up for good news, but now I have no clue what to think. Sorry for venting this is just the only place where I feel people are going through the same thing as me.
I honestly have no idea. It’s super frustrating. I keep going over in my head that my interview went well and I felt like a strong applicant and I have no reason to think it’s a rejection right now except that our portal changed on a Friday and not a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday. It’s a weird time since the waitlist notifications went out the same day and the admissions office is probably incredibly busy today. Maybe it’s not a rejection? Maybe it just happened to be a Friday? I feel like they would have told us by now if it was.

In the past they’ve given R’s out on a Tuesday.... soooooo maybe it is an A!

I honestly have no idea. It’s super frustrating. I keep going over in my head that my interview went well and I felt like a strong applicant and I have no reason to think it’s a rejection right now except that our portal changed on a Friday and not a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday. It’s a weird time since the waitlist notifications went out the same day and the admissions office is probably incredibly busy today. Maybe it’s not a rejection? Maybe it just happened to be a Friday? I feel like they would have told us by now if it was.

In the past they’ve given R’s out on a Tuesday.... soooooo maybe it is an A!
Could not have said this better myself. I felt like this was my strongest interview overall

Reactions: 2 users
I accepted my position on the waitlist via the link in the email they sent. I have not received a confirmation email and my status did not change to waitlisted. Is this the same for everyone else?
Same here. If you click the waitlist offer link again, it should show a screen that confirms you've accepted the offer.

Anyone not accepting their WL position and willing to transfer it please put me on the list!!! 🤣😂🤣😂 at this point humor is all that is getting me through this excruciating time!!😁😁

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Anyone not accepting their WL position and willing to transfer it please put me on the list!!! 🤣😂🤣😂 at this point humor is all that is getting me through this excruciating time!!😁😁
If one doesn't accept the WL that means they will be replaced with someone else to WL?

Members don't see this ad :)
for some really good humor I've been reading the University of Toledo's forum. 10/10 recommend.

Attention, my fellow WL warriors -- I started a WL UNC thread where we can learn more about our chances.

Reactions: 5 users
I have also been left on Decided since Friday. If they could just get back to us sometime in the near as soon as possible that would be great!

Just got the post- II R. LM 73, IS, completed July :( guess it’s back to the drawing board

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone who has reapplied to UNC know if they offer applicant feedback for rejected applicants? I’m really wanting to know what I need to work on in my application and/or interview

Does anyone who has reapplied to UNC know if they offer applicant feedback for rejected applicants? I’m really wanting to know what I need to work on in my application and/or interview
I'm sorry to hear that you were rejected :( I hope that you can secure an acceptance somewhere else if you haven't already! I do know they give feedback to rejected students (at least they did in previous years) but definitely email admissions about it if you are interested!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sorry to hear that you were rejected :( I hope that you can secure an acceptance somewhere else if you haven't already! I do know they give feedback to rejected students (at least they did in previous years) but definitely email admissions about it if you are interested!
Awesome, thanks!

I have been forgotten y'all - still Awaiting Decision, no waitlist email, and no response yet to my email sent to admissions 24 hours ago.
I would check the junk or spam section of your email at this point. My waitlist email was sent to my spam last year and I didnt see it for a week... -.-

Any WL people still waiting on their portals to change from awaiting decision? It's been 2 weeks

Any WL people still waiting on their portals to change from awaiting decision? It's been 2 weeks
I don’t think it’s going to change until a final decision has been made (A or R)! That’s what happened last year.

Waitlist people - did anything in your portal change at all upon receipt of the waitlist email? Was that where the link to accept the waitlist was found? Still no change in my portal and no response to my email last week, now trying to figure out if I should call admissions.
Did not get a reply when I emailed to accept the WL spot, and no portal change. I’m MSTP though, but sounds like a similar situation

That's good to know. Only thing is that I haven't received any decision at all, I never received a waitlist email. Was the process of accepting the waitlist entirely through email? If that's the case I will definitely call.
Oops didn’t catch that you had no decision yet, sorry. Yes it was all through email, nothing at all in the portal. This could be just the MSTP’s style of communication though since there aren’t as many of us.

Oops didn’t catch that you had no decision yet, sorry. Yes it was all through email, nothing at all in the portal. This could be just the MSTP’s style of communication though since there aren’t as many of us.
@EmmaculateMD
I was MD-only (i.e. not MSTP) and I received an email with the subject "WAITLIST INVITATION" and no portal change. As a matter of fact, I declined my waitlist spot and my UNC portal still says "awaiting decision" lol.

That's good to know. Only thing is that I haven't received any decision at all, I never received a waitlist email. Was the process of accepting the waitlist entirely through email? If that's the case I will definitely call.
Definitely call and see what's wrong because it's really odd you haven't heard back yet.

@EmmaculateMD
I was MD-only (i.e. not MSTP) and I received an email with the subject "WAITLIST INVITATION" and no portal change. As a matter of fact, I declined my waitlist spot and my UNC portal still says "awaiting decision" lol.
I have a friend who interviewed in the later months and still hasn't heard back yet either. So you are not alone!

Why was UNC's match rate 96% this year? Did they not include SOAP in their Match percentage? 96% is pretty concerning to me

Why was UNC's match rate 96% this year? Did they not include SOAP in their Match percentage? 96% is pretty concerning to me
So to be frank with you a 96% match rate is very good in comparison to other medical schools. Out of a 190 person class that would mean only 8-9 people did not match successfully which could come down to many different factors. Ultimately you shouldn't be worried about something that you yourself may never even experience.

• Hmm
Also curious about this on on a more general level. Is match rate percentage just # successfully matched into a program whether regular or thru SOAP / # applied to residency for the cycle?

This includes SOAP I am pretty sure. So yes, kinda concerning, but also as someone mentioned, UNC has an extensively large class size compared to most other U.S. med schools.

So to be frank with you a 96% match rate is very good in comparison to other medical schools. Out of a 190 person class that would mean only 8-9 people did not match successfully which could come down to many different factors. Ultimately you shouldn't be worried about something that you yourself may never even experience.
This includes SOAP I am pretty sure. So yes, kinda concerning, but also as someone mentioned, UNC has an extensively large class size compared to most other U.S. med schools.
@medicalbrilliance That may be true, but 96% is not good in comparison to the other schools I've been accepted to. 8-9 is a lot considering that SOAP exists. I may never get into a car accident but it's still important for me to wear a seat belt. Whether I ever experience not matching or not, match rates are still important to consider when choosing a med school.

@EagerEagle I thought so too ! UNC does have a larger class. It's just weird because I recall (& I may be wrong) UNC having a 100% match rate in previous years. I know it's a great school, that 96% is just really surprising. I plan to enter a pretty competitive speciality so match rates are important to me.

Also curious about this on on a more general level. Is match rate percentage just # successfully matched into a program whether regular or thru SOAP / # applied to residency for the cycle?
I believe so !

So two things to consider here. First, match registrants increased by like 6% this year according to an article I read, which caused the nationwide match rate to drop 2% from last year. Additionally, I've asked about our match rate before and my advisor said really the only people at UNC who don't match are applying to programs they really aren't qualified for or likely to get into (despite their advisor telling them its not a realistic goal).