2020-2021 UNC - Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
WL September II

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Sooooo anyone who changed to decided earlier today know anything?

• Hmm
+1 just got the WL email. No portal change as of yet. Interviewed in Oct. Good luck, everybody! May your wildest doctoring dreams come true.

Edit: If you click the link provided in the WL email, you go to the portal and accept their WL offer. For clarification, even after accepting the WL spot, my portal still reads "Application Status - Awaiting Decision".

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well I just got an email from Toms and freaked out bc I thought it was important....

• Haha
Also WL. 2/1 interview. If your waitlisted, do you still apply for financial aid?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have checked my portal and email so many times I could have diarrhea
I know you said you saw the “decided” status. Did you get a WL email? Everyone is saying they got waitlisted and I have not heard anything. I’m decided currently

waitlisted! Interviewed mid October. Portal still says awaiting decision. Good luck everybody, wishing you all the best mental health during this stressful waiting period!

WL after september interview. sucks that I had to wait so long, but glad to finally know

I know you said you saw the “decided” status. Did you get a WL email? Everyone is saying they got waitlisted and I have not heard anything. I’m decided currently
no I haven’t received any email, it’s definitely gonna be a rejection or acceptance

For people who recently reviewed rejections, how long did it take for that email to come after your portal change?

Adding to the noise: I received the waitlist email around the same time as everyone else, and my portal still says "awaiting decision." also damn did everyone get on the waitlist? there are so many people reporting WL here

Adding to the noise: I received the waitlist email around the same time as everyone else, and my portal still says "awaiting decision." also damn did everyone get on the waitlist? there are so many people reporting WL here
I have a feeling I’m gonna get the R

Last edited:
  • Care
So I'm on the WL and am glad to still be considered but just wondering how much people come off the WL. Does it make sense if 100 are waitlisted and 50 come off of it?

Joining the WL squad.

Comrades, it has been a RIDE. I won’t be accepting, but I think everyone should be so freaking proud to even have gotten to the interview stage. At another institution, I was told this cycle was EXCEPTIONALLY. COMPETITIVE. I hope all of you get that A and it was a blessing to have gotten this far with you all!

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
+1 on the WL train, NGL stung a little but thankful to still be considered

Kinda thinking all of us that are decided didn’t get waitlisted and they will send out our rejections emails on Monday. I feel like they should have let us know today if it was an A

WL
Jan interview... disheartened that I have to wait more and it's not an A, but glad it's not a R. Had a horrible cycle :(

Anyone know the odds of getting off the WL? :/ I've seen other threads say they try to match the applicant that leaves

WL
Jan interview... disheartened that I have to wait more and it's not an A, but glad it's not a R. Had a horrible cycle :(

Anyone know the odds of getting off the WL? :/ I've seen other threads say they try to match the applicant that leaves

Did you just find out about WL or did you get it around the same time as others (5/6)?

WL as well. Email was sent at 5pm, just checked. Can't say i've heard of someone getting waitlisted two years in a row. How often does that occur?

Are people who usually get R from the decided notification usually notified via email the same day they see this notification, and those who are accepted from the decided notification usually hear back a day later? Or is there no pattern to this?

Are people who usually get R from the decided notification usually notified via email the same day they see this notification, and those who are accepted from the decided notification usually hear back a day later? Or is there no pattern to this?
I read through the past cycles on and around this month until 2017 last night and in none of the cycles did I see their portals change to decided on a Friday and then not hear anything, and usually they received emails to check their portal to see their rejection. And it was always on the same day, which was usually Thursday. I will say I did see a pattern in that waitlists and rejections were handed out on the same day, and this was usually later in the week after the acceptances had been given out Monday Tuesday and Wednesday.

I read through the past cycles on and around this month until 2017 last night and in none of the cycles did I see their portals change to decided on a Friday and then not hear anything, and usually they received emails to check their portal to see their rejection. And it was always on the same day, which was usually Thursday. I will say I did see a pattern in that waitlists and rejections were handed out on the same day, and this was usually later in the week after the acceptances had been given out Monday Tuesday and Wednesday.
Which way are you leaning towards thinking about what happened yesterday?

The last week in Feb for this cycle people who interviewed in Sep and Oct got post interview Rs. I interviewed in Oct and did not receive an R then, so maybe this decided is good news?

Which way are you leaning towards thinking about what happened yesterday?
It's kinda looking more like a rejection to me, but it's nothing like any of the past rejections around March and April which weren't Friday and were known the same day. In 2017 and 2018 they didn't give out waitlist decisions until April. But the trend was still rejections and waitlists given the same day. But we technically weren't rejected yesterday. Just decided, whatever that means. I have no idea, ya'lls.

It's kinda looking more like a rejection to me, but it's nothing like any of the past rejections around March and April which weren't Friday and were known the same day. In 2017 and 2018 they didn't give out waitlist decisions until April. But the trend was still rejections and waitlists given the same day. But we technically weren't rejected yesterday. Just decided, whatever that means. I have no idea, ya'lls.
I just hate that we have to wait the whole weekend to find out :(

• Sad
To anybody that has any idea, how many people typically come off the waitlist for UNC? I understand nobody might know but if you have a rough estimate feel free to share.

To anybody that has any idea, how many people typically come off the waitlist for UNC? I understand nobody might know but if you have a rough estimate feel free to share.
Two years ago they exhausted their WL and had to call rejected students, so they seem to have a pretty good record of moving it along.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Two years ago they exhausted their WL and had to call rejected students, so they seem to have a pretty good record of moving it along.
Ok thank you so much that makes me feel more hopeful! I really hope that is the case this year and I was also thinking since many people applied to more schools due to online interviews it may be people got scholarships or something elsewhere that could want them to choose another school maybe contributing to greater movement this year.

So for those of us still left without a decision, we have a mix of Decided and Awaiting Decision people?
Yes. Some or the people awaiting decision got an email for the WL and others are decided with no contact whatsoever 😂

Ok after seeing the sheer number of posts from the past 48 hours, I'm going to reiterate my suggestion to get off this site for the next few days. I highly doubt you'll get any more answers before Monday, so go find something else to do, something fun, something relaxing :) It'll be okay guys I promise!

That’s super weird/interesting! Out of curiosity, where did you get that info? I looked at the SDN thread for that app cycle and didn’t see anything about UNC exhausting its waitlist.

Reactions: 2 users
nope not yet. good luck to everyone today !!!!!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I accepted my position on the waitlist via the link in the email they sent. I have not received a confirmation email and my status did not change to waitlisted. Is this the same for everyone else?