2021-2022 UNC, Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

For everyone considering applying, here's last cycle's secondary questions:
  • Prompt 1: Give an example of how you made a difference in someone’s life and explain what this experience taught you about yourself. (500 words)
  • Prompt 2: What motivates you to apply to UNC School of Medicine? (500 words)
  • Prompt 3: UNC School of Medicine values diversity and inclusion across the institution. We believe that education and professional development are enhanced in educational settings that include individuals from diverse backgrounds and experiences. Please describe how your background and/or experiences would contribute to the UNC SOM community? (500 words)
  • Prompt 4: Please use the space below for anything you might wish to discuss related to the COVD-19 public health crisis. Possible topics might include: your biggest lessons and insights from the pandemic, creative ways in which you were able to serve your community during the crisis, hardships you may have faced as a result of the virus, and/or quarantine. (750 words)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Hey upcoming applicants! If you have any questions about UNC, I am currently a third year student, so I am happy to answer. I'll check posts on here and I can answer one-on-one messages as well, but it might take me a couple days.
We're looking forward to meet y'all and find our next class of amazing medical students!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For everyone considering applying, here's last cycle's secondary questions:
  • Prompt 1: Give an example of how you made a difference in someone’s life and explain what this experience taught you about yourself. (500 words)
  • Prompt 2: What motivates you to apply to UNC School of Medicine? (500 words)
  • Prompt 3: UNC School of Medicine values diversity and inclusion across the institution. We believe that education and professional development are enhanced in educational settings that include individuals from diverse backgrounds and experiences. Please describe how your background and/or experiences would contribute to the UNC SOM community? (500 words)
  • Prompt 4: Please use the space below for anything you might wish to discuss related to the COVD-19 public health crisis. Possible topics might include: your biggest lessons and insights from the pandemic, creative ways in which you were able to serve your community during the crisis, hardships you may have faced as a result of the virus, and/or quarantine. (750 words)
I believe they will be changing this year due to them being the same the past few cycles and past trends.

Hey upcoming applicants! If you have any questions about UNC, I am currently a third year student, so I am happy to answer. I'll check posts on here and I can answer one-on-one messages as well, but it might take me a couple days.
We're looking forward to meet y'all and find our next class of amazing medical students!
Are you OOS or IS? I'm OOS and know UNC is not the most IS friendly but would still love to go here.

Are you OOS or IS? I'm OOS and know UNC is not the most IS friendly but would still love to go here.
I'm IS. You're right, its pretty difficult to get in OOS, but it makes a big difference if you have a connection to NC. For most people, I think that's usually going to college here (but not technically meeting residency requirements) or having family here, but I'm sure there are others as well. Still definitely worth a try :) Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Are secondary prompts from this cycle the same as the last cycle? I am still waiting on my primary to be verified.

How are we supposed to write if we got our degree this year? the degree conferral date only goes to 2020

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Tell us about a peer who is deserving of recognition but whose accomplishments may not be acknowledged adequately. Why do you think their accomplishments have gone relatively unacknowledged? (400 words)
2. Please share your thought and experiences with navigating the covid-19 pandemic. This cold include the barrier you have faced in applying to medical school, creative way you have overcome those barrier, feelings of grief and loss, thoughts on the role of health care professional, challenges associated with racial health inequities, or other reflection on living through a global pandemic crisis. (400 words)
3. How will your values and attitude foster a positive educational environment and benefit your future patients? Tell us about the sources of those values and attitude (eg family, places you've lived in, things you have read, life experiences, etc) (400 words)
4. Tell us about a time when you observed or personally experienced biased behavior. What did you do to address this situation or what would you do in the future? Through either situation we are interested in what you learned. (400 words)
5. What motivates you to apply to the UNC SOM? (200 words)

I cannot believe they've changed everything, a bit frustrating. Also, no idea what the heck they mean with the first question.

I cannot believe they've changed everything, a bit frustrating. Also, no idea what the heck they mean with the first question.
Same! I was ready to submit right away *if* the prompts stayed the same. Disappointed. :(

Same! I was ready to submit right away *if* the prompts stayed the same. Disappointed. :(
Lol such a killer, I was kind of struggling with their diversity question from past years, so I am happy they went about it in a way that is a little easier to write, but still lmao.

Does anybody else's application say

"Application Status - Awaiting Submission

Application Submitted: July 10, 2021"

I'm pretty sure its submitted but the whole "awaiting submission" think is making me nervous.

Reactions: 2 users
any advice for how many things to talk about in the 3rd prompt? should it cover a range of values/experiences or can it be focused on mainly one thing like a diversity essay traditionally is

any advice for how many things to talk about in the 3rd prompt? should it cover a range of values/experiences or can it be focused on mainly one thing like a diversity essay traditionally is
The prompt is all in plural, so I'd advise including more than one. You can obviously emphasize one over the others, but probably include more than one if you can.

I'm pretty sure its submitted but the whole "awaiting submission" think is making me nervous.
Just submitted, mine says this too

Does anyone understand what the first prompt is looking for? I am having some trouble understanding if it wants us to talk about a peer that was well accomplished in some way but then went unrecognized because they were able to create a sort of intangible impact on other people's lives. Or if they instead are looking for a situation of unfairness where someone did not receive the recognition that they should have.

Does anyone understand what the first prompt is looking for? I am having some trouble understanding if it wants us to talk about a peer that was well accomplished in some way but then went unrecognized because they were able to create a sort of intangible impact on other people's lives. Or if they instead are looking for a situation of unfairness where someone did not receive the recognition that they should have.
I think they intentionally wrote it in an ambiguous way to see different ways people answer the question. I think both of the options you mentioned could work as well as some others. Write what feels like the right answer for you.

does UNC pre screen for oos?
Pre screen as in consider IS and OOS apps separately or pre screen as in review the apps before deciding who gets a secondary?
To the first option- probably yes. IS and OOS are really applying for different spots, since a certain number are designated for both groups. Second option- no, last I checked, everyone gets a secondary. It might take a couple days for it to come through, but make sure to check your spam folder bc my stuff often ended up there.

FML I wrote about one of my coworkers for the "doesn't get enough recognition" essay and accidentally texted it to my boss instead of my mom for review.
dying of cringe rn someone call life alert

Last edited:
  • Haha
FML I wrote about one of my coworkers for the "doesn't get enough recognition" essay and accidentally texted it to my boss instead of my mom for review.
dying of cringe rn someone call life alert
I feel you. Hopefully, your boss doesn't know about med school shenanigans. I will loose my job in few months if they know my plans.

Did you guys get confirmation/complete emails after submitting? I haven't received anything besides the payment receipt, so just wanted to check.

Is it fine if I submit a couple days after the 2 week mark for UNC? I have a full time job (45-50 hours/week) and despite pre-writing, I am still working on wrapping up a couple of its answers. Not sure how much this will affect my chances for still being competitive for an II. I'm OOS with median MCAT and high GPA :/

Edit: they have a 3 week deadline for submitting the secondary so not sure how much the standard 2 week rule applies to them - do they look at all secondary submissions?

Last edited:
Is it fine if I submit a couple days after the 2 week mark for UNC? I have a full time job (45-50 hours/week) and despite pre-writing, I am still working on wrapping up a couple of its answers. Not sure how much this will affect my chances for still being competitive for an II. I'm OOS with median MCAT and high GPA :/

Edit: they have a 3 week deadline for submitting the secondary so not sure how much the standard 2 week rule applies to them - do they look at all secondary submissions?
The 2 week thing is a general guideline. 3 weeks is hard and fast. Ultimately they don't care much between 2 and 3 weeks as long as you meet the deadline.

Any waitlisters reapplying and want to bang their head against the wall??

Did this ever get changed for you? I just submitted mine and it says the same thing.

Did this ever get changed for you? I just submitted mine and it says the same thing.
Mine says "Awaiting Decision" and I submitted Aug 1 if that's any help?

First time applicant and wow this waiting game is no fun

Reactions: 4 users
Any other FAP applicants have "Awaiting Payment" as their status? I submitted a week and a half ago and haven't received an email about paying yet but my application is due the 23rd so I'm a little concerned

Any other FAP applicants have "Awaiting Payment" as their status? I submitted a week and a half ago and haven't received an email about paying yet but my application is due the 23rd so I'm a little concerned
Hi I'm also a FAP applicant. For UNC Chapel Hill you have to select the "I want to be considered for a fee waiver" I think it's on the first page of the app I don't remember though. And then they internally decide if you are granted that waiver or not. I submitted my secondary on 07/30/2021 and was emailed that my waiver was approved on 8/4/2021.

Hi, I am also a FAP app! Your portal status is the same as mine was initially. I submitted Thurs 7/22, then received the "complete" email and FAP-approval confirmation email on Thurs 7/29. I don't recall the corresponding portal changes, but ultimately mine now says "awaiting decision."

If you still have not received approval, I would contact admissions by phone (website says they're back in office), email, or attend the Wednesday afternoon Zoom session. I would assume it is a manual process and may just take some time. You turned your application in within the timeline - the lag time on FAP approval is beyond your control. Hope this is resolved by now for you!

From their website:
Beginning the week of July 26th, we will be in the admissions office on Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays for phone calls at (919) 962-8331. Please note, for the safety of our staff and students, we are only offering communication via phone on the aforementioned days, virtually on Wednesdays, and of course, via email at: [email protected].

Virtual office visit: Visit us virtually on Wednesdays from 2:00pm- 4:00pm via Zoom. The sessions will be no more than 10-15 minutes for each person. You can join virtual office hours by clicking on the link below:

Anyone get any interviews yet?

Hey y’all I’m a current OOS first year at UNC, feel free to message me if you have any questions I can answer for you! I’ll check this periodically

II!! I'm so excited and kinda weirded out cause no one heard anything yet. 3.8 GPA. 506 MCAT. ORM and IS... SO EXCITED. Secondary complete 7/10

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users