UNECOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys,

I've been complete at UNE for a couple weeks now and haven't heard anything. I am really interested in the school ... can anyone suggest anything for me to do to improve my odds for interview... anyone I should contact or anything?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I've been complete at UNE for a couple weeks now and haven't heard anything. I am really interested in the school ... can anyone suggest anything for me to do to improve my odds for interview... anyone I should contact or anything?

PM sent.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! So, I am just finishing the UNECOM secondary now and this 'list all other schools you're applying to' question really gives me pause. I applied to a whopping 30 programs, mostly MD schools, because my science GPA is not strong at all. I do have a strong MCAT. I am NOT just applying to DO as a backup, the philosphy really appeals to me. I am just scared that they are going to take one look at my app and say "this person wants to be an MD, not a DO" and not even consider me. Why do they insist on asking this question?? I just want to be a doctor... Any thoughts?

My thoughts are that they just want to have an idea of the types of places you're interested in but they aren't going to put that much weight on it. UNECOM was the only DO school I applied to among about 10 MD schools, and they didn't even ask me about it. They did act a little concerned that the DO degree may not be what I want, but it was more like, "You're a great candidate and you're in- but make sure this is what you really want before you make such a big decision" Their concern came mostly from my interest in international medicine, which is more challenging to go into as a DO than an MD. NOT impossible, just more challenging.

I also think that you're applying to so many schools shows how much you want to be a doctor, which is a positive thing... I ALSO think you should hurry up and submit you're secondary!! Its December! :p

Hey! So, I am just finishing the UNECOM secondary now and this 'list all other schools you're applying to' question really gives me pause. I applied to a whopping 30 programs, mostly MD schools, because my science GPA is not strong at all. I do have a strong MCAT. I am NOT just applying to DO as a backup, the philosphy really appeals to me. I am just scared that they are going to take one look at my app and say "this person wants to be an MD, not a DO" and not even consider me. Why do they insist on asking this question?? I just want to be a doctor... Any thoughts?

well i would definitely have a good answer ready. when i interviewed they actually pointed it out, saying that my MD to DO school ratio was 3:1 (15 MDs, 5 DOs). and then they asked why i did that and where my interested in DO lies. i told them that i dind't have a DO LOR and as a result, i could only apply to 5 schools out of about 15 that i listed on my AACOMAS. they didn't know about that, so i think they got it. but i would also explain your interest in the osteopathic approach to medicine and healing. i told them that i'm very committed to working in primary care and taking the DO approach would prepare me better in becoming a PCP. I also talked about my interest in OMM.

how many DO schools are you applying to? If just UNE there might be a huge red flag.

well i would definitely have a good answer ready. when i interviewed they actually pointed it out, saying that my MD to DO school ratio was 3:1 (15 MDs, 5 DOs). and then they asked why i did that and where my interested in DO lies. i told them that i dind't have a DO LOR and as a result, i could only apply to 5 schools out of about 15 that i listed on my AACOMAS. they didn't know about that, so i think they got it. but i would also explain your interest in the osteopathic approach to medicine and healing. i told them that i'm very committed to working in primary care and taking the DO approach would prepare me better in becoming a PCP. I also talked about my interest in OMM.

how many DO schools are you applying to? If just UNE there might be a huge red flag.

Hi,

So I never write on SDN, I only look at what others write.

I was accepted to UNE a little while ago (interviewed 10/15 and accepted about a month later). I had a 3.45 over, 3.55 non sci, and 3.35 sci along with a 25M MCAT. I'm also from maine

I applied to all MD schools except for UNE. It wont raise a "huge red flag" if you apply to more MD than DO. Just say why you are interested in osteopathy and have some good, intelligent answers for everything and youll be fine on the interview.

the end

Hi,

So I never write on SDN, I only look at what others write.

I was accepted to UNE a little while ago (interviewed 10/15 and accepted about a month later). I had a 3.45 over, 3.55 non sci, and 3.35 sci along with a 25M MCAT. I'm also from maine

I applied to all MD schools except for UNE. It wont raise a "huge red flag" if you apply to more MD than DO. Just say why you are interested in osteopathy and have some good, intelligent answers for everything and youll be fine on the interview.

the end

hey congrats on the acceptance!! that's awesome news! i wonder why they pointed my MD/DO ratio then... maybe i didn't seem convincing enough on my personal statement or secondary to UNE. i'm just sharing what my experience was. they almost seemed angry about it until i justified what happened. great to hear it doesnt have a huge influence on their decision!

I was concerned UNECOM would pass judgment on me for applying to so many allopathic schools and getting my osteopathic secondaries in later, so I called them today to discuss it. A member of the admissions department said that they ask for that information for their own internal research and it doesn't affect you (the applicant) one way or the other. Your experiences may differ but that's what I was told today. Also, my file hasn't been reviewed so I have not been granted an interview or rejected, so take my perspective for what it's worth.

I would really appreciate the info as well jkmph

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone esle receive a holiday card in the mail wishing them happy holidays? It has the Stella Harris Hall building in a wonderful winter setting.

I just don;t know what to make of it. I send secondaries early Nov and still waiting for a yay or nay, but nobody called yet.

Maybe I am just reading to much into it....

just wanted to know if other people got the card

thanks

They send the card to all applicants who filled out a secondary.

Thank you ShyRem.

Sometimes we just believe what we want to believe lol. I love the school, so I'm still holding my breath.

Good luck with finals.

Thank you ShyRem.

Sometimes we just believe what we want to believe lol. I love the school, so I'm still holding my breath.

Good luck with finals.
Good luck to you with finals. I have no more tests until level 3 of the boards in intern year. :woot: :D :claps:

Now just to wait until match day. :scared:

I'm applying osteo. Applied IM/EM and also straight IM (there just aren't many IM/EM programs around, and IM gives me more options than just EM). I like both. I'm good at EM, I have a lot of experience in pre-hospital EM. I like IM. I like the puzzles. I actually liked all my rotations... there wasn't a single rotation I hated getting up for every day. It is coming down to a lot of feeling about each program - I have a family and have to consider them too in my rank list.

If I go straight IM, fellowship consideration isn't out of the question (but not GI fellowship). We'll see what February brings and then what 2 or 3 years brings. :)

I'm applying osteo. Applied IM/EM and also straight IM (there just aren't many IM/EM programs around, and IM gives me more options than just EM). I like both. I'm good at EM, I have a lot of experience in pre-hospital EM. I like IM. I like the puzzles. I actually liked all my rotations... there wasn't a single rotation I hated getting up for every day. It is coming down to a lot of feeling about each program - I have a family and have to consider them too in my rank list.

If I go straight IM, fellowship consideration isn't out of the question (but not GI fellowship). We'll see what February brings and then what 2 or 3 years brings. :)

That's great Shy! I hope you match where you want!!

Wook

LOL got an xmas card in the mail from UNE but no interview invite yet! I'd rather the later!!

Did anyone from the 12/3 or 12/1 interview group call to see if we'll be hearing before or after Christmas? The admission committee met yesterday, and I think the admissions office is now closed for the holidays. Anybody know?

Did anyone from the 12/3 or 12/1 interview group call to see if we'll be hearing before or after Christmas? The admission committee met yesterday, and I think the admissions office is now closed for the holidays. Anybody know?

Received an email today stating they were closed from 12/23 to 01/03.

LOL got an xmas card in the mail from UNE but no interview invite yet! I'd rather the later!!

lol...that's what I said when I got the greeting card. show some love by accepting me instead! :p

I called the office and got a more definitive answer than the office is closed starting December 23rd. In case anyone in my interview time period is wondering, letters will likely go out early next week. So yes, you have a chance of hearing before Christmas.

i interviewed 12/3 and i do remember them saying that they were going to review on the 17th and hopefully get letters out before the school closed. otherwise, letters will go out after the new year. here's to hoping we'll hear before christmas! :xf:

hold onto your butts! i called admissions today to ask where they mailed decision letters (permanent address) and the woman on the phone said they mailed out letters on friday!

i couldn't ask for a better gift for the holidays! i got my letter on christmas eve and was accepted to UNE!!!! im so excited!!! sending my check in on monday :)

has anyone else heard?

i couldn't ask for a better gift for the holidays! i got my letter on christmas eve and was accepted to UNE!!!! im so excited!!! sending my check in on monday :)

has anyone else heard?

:thumbup: Congrats!

How much is the deposit at this school? I found something from 2004 saying it was 500 but that seems too good to be true...also how full do you think the class is at this point? I had an issue only with this school because my pre-med guy forgot to click off UNE on my virtual evals!! So mad really wanted to interview here but now have 2 acceptances and deposits are going to be due soon! :-(

Last edited:
How much is the deposit at this school? I found something from 2004 saying it was 500 but that seems too good to be true...also how full do you think the class is at this point? I had an issue only with this school because my pre-med guy forgot to click off UNE on my virtual evals!! So mad really wanted to interview here but now have 2 acceptances and deposits are going to be due soon! :-(

500$ within 30 days of acceptance (I believe, mine was slightly longer because I was accepted in October, due 12/15) and then 1500$ 60 days after the initial deposit.

Thanks! I knew 500 had to be too good to be true.

Thanks! I knew 500 had to be too good to be true.

At least you have 60 days after the first deadline for the other $1500. It could be much worse, with some schools (I forget which school I saw do this, but I believe it to be true) with $1000 due at the deadline (either AACOM's or their own deadline) and another $1000 a week or two later.

I hope that as osteopathic medicine is looked at less and less as a backup plan, these ridiculous deposits will come down. For applicants who genuinely want to attend a school of osteopathic medicine, you have to hope and pray you get your favorite/"best" acceptance first or you could be out a few (or more!) thousand dollars with little to show for it.

Hey Guys,

I know that the secondary application says the deadline is in March, but as of right now, is it too late for me to submit a secondary and get in? I'm not from the New England area, so do I even stand a chance of getting an interview?

You have ZERO chance if you don't submit a secondary.

I like the way you think! If you could offer me some info also I would really appreciate it! I was complete 12/23, and I know its way to early to hear anything, but I really love this school and want an interview here before I accept anywhere else!

You have ZERO chance if you don't submit a secondary.

I'm with you! Hope submitting a sec helps me. I did, however, just submit and have my sec marked complete as of 01/06...anybody? thoughts on how long before I might hear back about an interview?

I'm with you! Hope submitting a sec helps me. I did, however, just submit and have my sec marked complete as of 01/06...anybody? thoughts on how long before I might hear back about an interview?

I've been complete for about 5 weeks I think, haven't heard anything yet. Then again, it was just the holiday season and they were closed.

I heard back relatively quickly after I sent in my secondary. I was originally scheduled to interview in early December but had to reschedule to Thursday Jan 14th because it conflicted with a final exam.

Glad to see that UNECOM is a little fair-er with deposits. I was accepted at NYCOM and they want $1500 by the 22nd...I don't know what to do about that...I guess I'll decide after thursday...

Anybody else interviewing on 1/14?

I've been complete for about 5 weeks I think, haven't heard anything yet. Then again, it was just the holiday season and they were closed.

I was complete around the same time you were and I'm still waiting to hear back. I called the admissions the week before Christmas and I was told this:

1)the office was closing for the holiday break (12/23-01/4) so no files would be reviewed then,
2)the adcom was still reviewing files completed in early to mid-November then,
3)I could expect to hear something by late January at the latest, but probably mid January at their current rate.

I hope this helps!

Hey Guys,

I know that the secondary application says the deadline is in March, but as of right now, is it too late for me to submit a secondary and get in? I'm not from the New England area, so do I even stand a chance of getting an interview?

I'm from NC and I was accepted to and am headed to UNECOM this fall...it's always worth sending in a secondery if you're interested.

I was complete around the same time you were and I'm still waiting to hear back. I called the admissions the week before Christmas and I was told this:

1)the office was closing for the holiday break (12/23-01/4) so no files would be reviewed then,
2)the adcom was still reviewing files completed in early to mid-November then,
3)I could expect to hear something by late January at the latest, but probably mid January at their current rate.

I hope this helps!

Awesome! Thanks, I was about to call myself.

Congratulations DOalchemist! What are your stats? (sorry I'm sorta OCD about this info)

Last edited:
Interview Invite Today:D
Complete around Dec.20th so pretty quick turnaround. Good luck to those still waiting!