Univ. of Washington Med.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LJoo83

learning...
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For some reason I have always wanted to live in Seattle and so I thought, hey, I could go to med school in Washington...and so I checked out their website, and after going through their website, I got the strong impression that unless 1)you're a northwest region resident; or 2)you're from an underprivileged home situation; or 3)you're dedicated to helping the undeserving areas, they discourage you from even applying to their med school. So I thought, hmm, then I could attend their undergrad and be a practical shoo-in to their med school, and then I see that out of state tuition is 13,000 plus 7,000 room/board-20,000, and creighton costs less than UW undergrad!
Has anyone who are out of staters applied to UWM and got it? Just curious to know what you did in order to get into their med school.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by LJoo83
For some reason I have always wanted to live in Seattle and so I thought, hey, I could go to med school in Washington...and so I checked out their website, and after going through their website, I got the strong impression that unless 1)you're a northwest region resident; or 2)you're from an underprivileged home situation; or 3)you're dedicated to helping the undeserving areas, they discourage you from even applying to their med school. So I thought, hmm, then I could attend their undergrad and be a practical shoo-in to their med school, and then I see that out of state tuition is 13,000 plus 7,000 room/board-20,000, and creighton costs less than UW undergrad!
Has anyone who are out of staters applied to UWM and got it? Just curious to know what you did in order to get into their med school.

They'll consider your application if you're an MD-PhD candidate. I was accepted there as an out-of-state student.

Forgive my ignorance...
but what exactly must you do in order to be considered as a md-phd candidate?

Members don't see this ad :)
other than applying as a md-phd candidate? ;)

well to apply as a md-phd candidate, u need to have done significant research and some schools require a thesis. there are only a few spots for md-phd i dont know the number but it usaully takes 6-8 years to complete a md-phd.

lol..okay smart aleck.
so then would this be a viable plan?:
1)finish my undergrad
2)apply to med school as a md-phd candidate (the word candidate, to me, suggests future plans)
3)attend med school, become (insert name) md,
4)attend two-four years of more schooling (two years=md, four years=phd)
am I on the same page as you are?

hehe , well its more like this

1) apply to medical schools like u are doing now
2) apply as a md-phd applicant, not md only
3) attend 2 years of medical school
4) perform 2-4 years of research in area of ph-d and complete ur thesis
5) complete md clinical rotations
6) graduate as md-phd

so u still have four years of md, just an additional two to four years of research for phd.
:)

sweet freaking mother...
i have stupid questions.
1) do you do your research before, after, or during your rotations?
2) what exactly is a thesis? i know when you write papers, etc., it's your purpose for your essay, but how does that work in a research setting?
3)and the stupidest question of all-when you say research, do you mean something that's original or can you build something off of someone else's theory and modify it?
4)when do you do your residency?
5)and why would one go for a phd degree? i'm just trying to see the benefits of having (insert your name) md, phd as opposed to md. i mean, do you get paid more, do you get more prestige/recognition/known as a expert in your field..and if you have a phd, will you be overqualified-too overqualified to work with patients? i mean, my purpose is to work with people...

thanks for answering all my questions-i truly appreciate it.

ok i think md-phd people would answer these questions more accurately than i can but let me give it a shot!

1) after taking basic sciences i.e the first 2 years of medical school, then u do ur research(full-time), and then u go for clinical rotations. so clinical rotations is usaully after u do ur ph-d , some schools allow students to take clinical rotations along with research, as long as the rotation does not require long time commitement. in the summers, i think most schools require md-phd students to do lab rotations, where they work in labs just to determine where they will work for their ph-d.

2) a thesis? uhhmm its like writing a text book, a very big and long text book, okay seriously a thesis is usually about 100 pages(sometimes 300 ) its not a paper and i dont know if u can get it published, its kind of a summary of everything u do while on the research position.

3) i really dont know, i am working on my undergraduate thesis now, someone in another school started something on it, but i am using his procedure only different experiments though, in md-phd u have to find a professor whose lab u are interested in and then u talk to him, and he might have a project he needs someone to work on, i am not really sure about this.

4) hehe ur residency? after u graduate ;) so six - eight years after u start medical school, u start ur residency!

5) well, md-phd students usually get a free ride to medical school, including stipends and ....... and sometimes in competitive residencies, md-phd graduates might be more favorable, also some md-phd want to work more in a academic setting than in a hospital, i guess the point is that if u like research go for it!

phew.. wow that was long, alrite md-phd people feel free to tear me apart!

my goodness..
thank you so very much...even if you said you didn't know the information accurately, it certainly gave me a decent idea of what a md-phd program entails.
i'm not sure if i'm intelligent enough for the md-phd program, however. i'm not looking down upon myself, but only realizing my own intellectual limitations. there certainly are many people out there who are more creative, more inquisitive, and more intelligent than I am...
but thank you. :) gosh...14 years of schooling....to me, because I'm only a undergrad freshman, that seems like an eternity long.
Maybe U of WM isn't that worth it. :)

well, let me restate my last post.
it isn't that i don't have intellectual ability to do research, write a thesis, etc., because intellect is about your ability to learn, and i know i have potential to learn.
but i suppose it's a matter of not knowing how much i can learn-the idealism is that if we put all our effort into it, the sky's the limit-but let's be realistic here. it doesn't neccessarily matter how much effort you put into something because obviously not everyone is born with the same amount of intellect-otherwise we would have many einsteins, edisons, etc., running around. but i've never really been given the chance to know my own potential/limitations because i've always been the average/slightly average student who got lost in the shuffle of the crowd. i think i would have been a great student had someone decided to take me aside, mentor me, and show me how to learn.
no pity party here, but just a simple observation...
so what's my point? i have no clue...all i know is i have a paper due in two hours so i need to get back to it.

hey crazy-
why are you up this late? my excuse? i'm in the middle of writing a paper on explaining a concept-something i've procrastinated on for 6 weeks now.

life is so much more interesting after you've downed a few caffeine pills on no sleep.

my excuse? i need anti-SDN pills!
no actually i woke up at 12 midnight so am pretty much done sleeping for today.

before any of you pre-allo, allo, or md-phd ers jump all over me and tell me to scram to the mstsp (or whatever the acronym is) section, i just want to say:

i beat you to the punch! (is that the correct expression?) after my lengthy questions to immediatespring, i realized that there is a section for pre md/phders.

so thanks, and ha! eat that! :)
now YOU scram!

sorry for scaring you, folks....i haven't gotten any sleep.

Originally posted by LJoo83
my goodness..
gosh...14 years of schooling....to me, because I'm only a undergrad freshman, that seems like an eternity long.
Maybe U of WM isn't that worth it. :)

Don't forget residency and fellowship training too! It's a life-long adventure.