University of Illinois c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nothing in Mississippi... Though it may be going to my address in Illinois, who knows

Members don't see this ad.

IS resident: ACCEPTED! :)
Checked my mail around 3 PM.

Reactions: 1 user
These letters include all decisions (waitlist, acceptance, and rejection) correct? They didn't just send out acceptances, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
These letters include all decisions (waitlist, acceptance, and rejection) correct? They didn't just send out acceptances, right?
Right. Though if you got an interview you don't get rejected, only waitlist/acceptance.

Reactions: 1 users
Yep. I called to check bc I thought the same and Carol told me everyone will get a letter.

They don't stagger letters right? Like acceptances were sent first then waitlist letters get sent out?

Aaaand nothing in Illinois either

They don't stagger letters right? Like acceptances were sent first then waitlist letters get sent out?
No. I got a waitlist letter the same day as friend got her acceptance last year. Probably postal stuff, not the university.

OOS Accepted (letter received in western PA today) and WAYYY more excited than I initially anticipated I would be! :)

If there are any current students that would allow me to pick your brain, that would be much appreciated!

Reactions: 3 users
OOS accepted- Michigan!!! Ah! I cannot wait to meet everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
IS acceptance. I will be declining so someone else can get a chance! Congrats to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Batsenecal, Pinkpuppy, and myself are all available to chat :)
OOS Accepted (letter received in western PA today) and WAYYY more excited than I initially anticipated I would be! :)

If there are any current students that would allow me to pick your brain, that would be much appreciated!

IS accepted!!! Man I am so relieved and excited and nervous.

Yes, please distract me from this week of studying

It's whatever address you have on VMCAS

haha what if you have 2 addresses on VMCAS? they have a spot for both current and permanent, which is why i was just wondering where people have been getting them delivered to

OOS accepted, got my letter in northeast Kansas today!
I guess the office really tried very hard to get them out last week, as there is a hole on my offer... :eek:

I guess the office really tried very hard to get them out last week, as there is a hole on my offer... :eek:
That must be the part where it says you get free tuition :laugh:

Reactions: 6 users
That must be the part where it says you get free tuition :laugh:

That's exactly what I thought too! Mine has a crease right over the "Congratulations" part. Free or IS tuition is definitely in order :laugh:

Congrats everyone (and to those who haven't posted yet)! I'm glad you all are getting your answers. I look forward to seeing you all next year!

I'm happy to answer any questions about where good spots to live are, what to expect first year, etc. I'm sure bats and cloverbug are as well!

Pro-trip 1: you will want a parking pass. Lol

OOS accepted from Wisconsin!! Congratulations everyone!

OOS accepted- Michigan!!! Ah! I cannot wait to meet everyone!

CONGRATS GREYT!!! I've been watching this thread for you. So happy you will be starting VET SCHOOL this fall and not horribly far from MI! <3

Pro-trip 1: you will want a parking pass. Lol
Yep, can confirm. Unless you're close enough to bike (and if you're coming from the south, biking is actually a bit dangerous), I'd cough up for a pass. The bus system to vet med isn't that great (it exists though). Parking is free after 5PM and on weekends, but that doesn't really help you much. You will get a ticket if you don't have a pass. Sometimes you get a ticket if you do have a pass, or maybe that was just me :yeahright:

Yep, can confirm. Unless you're close enough to bike (and if you're coming from the south, biking is actually a bit dangerous), I'd cough up for a pass. The bus system to vet med isn't that great (it exists though). Parking is free after 5PM and on weekends, but that doesn't really help you much. You will get a ticket if you don't have a pass. Sometimes you get a ticket if you do have a pass, or maybe that was just me :yeahright:
I got a ticket for parking crooked because the snow had melted by the time they came through. FYI, passes are $660 for the year. Budget for that.

I got a ticket for parking crooked because the snow had melted by the time they came through. FYI, passes are $660 for the year. Budget for that.

Holy overcharge! They were like $150 for the entire year at my undergrad. Pretty marginal I guess though compared to everything else haha

I got a ticket for not parking with my rear end (the car's, not mine) facing out, because I don't have a front plate. Apparently they can't get out of their car to check the plate. I also have gotten multiple tickets because the parking people have run my plate as Illinois (it's still a MI plate) or just run the wrong numbers. I got out of all of them, but still. Tickets are $60 or so here.

FYI pt 2-the pass is tied to your license plate. There is no physical pass you get.

Edit:
Holy overcharge! They were like $150 for the entire year at my undergrad. Pretty marginal I guess though compared to everything else haha
Our dean has tried to get vet students special rates since we are the only people who use the vet med lots, but no luck. Parking crap is set by the entire school and we're not special enough. We can't even get our class ranks on our transcripts because the university just won't do it (the vet school uses class rank over GPA, you'll understand more once you start here).

Edit pt 2: The only upside is that you can get reimbursed for the summer months on the pass if you don't need them. I got money back last year and I think it was like $110 or something for June/July? Still outrageously expensive, but it hurts slightly less once you get that refund.

Mine was $20 for the year at my undergrad....

I got a ticket for not parking with my rear end (the car's, not mine) facing out, because I don't have a front plate. Apparently they can't get out of their car to check the plate. I also have gotten multiple tickets because the parking people have run my plate as Illinois (it's still a MI plate) or just run the wrong numbers. I got out of all of them, but still. Tickets are $60 or so here.

FYI pt 2-the pass is tied to your license plate. There is no physical pass you get.

Edit:
Our dean has tried to get vet students special rates since we are the only people who use the vet med lots, but no luck. Parking crap is set by the entire school and we're not special enough. We can't even get our class ranks on our transcripts because the university just won't do it (the vet school uses class rank over GPA, you'll understand more once you start here).

Edit pt 2: The only upside is that you can get reimbursed for the summer months on the pass if you don't need them. I got money back last year and I think it was like $110 or something for June/July? Still outrageously expensive, but it hurts slightly less once you get that refund.
That would be wonderful but highly unlikely. U of I in general like their additional fees.

Got accepted!!!! From Purdue!! (Indiana) top choice since I got waitlisted at Purdue!!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Batsenecal, Pinkpuppy, and myself are all available to chat :)
Thank you so much! I have a big exam tomorrow, but after that is over I am sure you will be seeing messages from me!

Can you guys (or anyone else) tell me if there is an accepted students day? If not, I really want to visit again and bring my parents with me this time. Are we able to schedule tours and stuff on any given day?

Thank you so much! I have a big exam tomorrow, but after that is over I am sure you will be seeing messages from me!

Can you guys (or anyone else) tell me if there is an accepted students day? If not, I really want to visit again and bring my parents with me this time. Are we able to schedule tours and stuff on any given day?
No accepted students day, but you can schedule a tour anytime. @batsenecal can probably give you more details on how to do that

Reactions: 2 users
No letter yet in michigan. Bummed out since it seems like the only people to get letters today were accepted. Plus people who live in my area got their acceptance letters today :(

Last edited:
To those that did not receive a letter today, myself included, do not assume you were waitlisted!! Different zip codes can be sent out different days. Looking at last year's thread, it took 3 days for letters to get to everyone - accepted AND waitlisted. I used to work at UPS and know the sorting process. If the sorter didn't get to your letter.. they will tomorrow... or the next day. It's all random and your letter is in a giant pile somewhere!

Reactions: 6 users
To those that did not receive a letter today, myself included, do not assume you were waitlisted!! Different zip codes can be sent out different days. Looking at last year's thread, it took 3 days for letters to get to everyone - accepted AND waitlisted. I used to work at UPS and know the sorting process. If the sorter didn't get to your letter.. they will tomorrow... or the next day. It's all random and your letter is in a giant pile somewhere!
Thank you for allaying some fears somewhat. I got waitlisted the first day letters were received last year, but there's always the chance they changed things this year... Gotta think rationally, even after this agonizing wait haha

Thank you so much. That makes me feel a lot better! Fingers crossed we all get good news tomorrow!

OOS accepted! Any input as to what the equine/LA experience is like and about what the masters in public health is like would be greatly appreciated

OOS accepted! Any input as to what the equine/LA experience is like and about what the masters in public health is like would be greatly appreciated
Well, I'd say it's pretty standard I guess. I'm definitely not a LA person, but I know the Production Medicine, Equine, and Therio clubs (I'm sure there are other clubs I'm leaving out) have a TON of opportunities for you to get your hands dirty (literally). My friend scrubbed in on an overnight colic surgery as a first year, friends have delivered babies at 3AM, friends have practiced preg checking and rectal palpation, etc.

I have zero info on the MPH, but here's a link if you haven't seen it yet: http://vetmed.illinois.edu/educatio...icine-degree/dvm-master-public-health-degree/

I am interested in the MPH dual degree program as well and got some information. Basically we do ~1/3 of the credits online from U of I at Chicago in our second and third years while we are in vet school at U of I at Urbana-Champaign (and this part of MPH is FREE!). Then after the third or fourth year we go to Chicago to it full time for one year (we need to pay for this part of the tuition). For now all dual degree graduates chose to do the second part of their MPH after receiving their DVM. We will apply in our first year in vet school if we would like to do this program.

Dear Class of 2021,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!
My name is Kelsey and I am the ISCAVMA (Illinois Student Chapter...) President-elect, which means I will be working very closely with your class over the summer and during the early part of the school year! I have a few things to clarify while I'm on here:

1. If you choose to accept your offer to Illinois and you submit your deposit and your forms, you will probably not be contacted by Illinois until May. This is normal. They have not forgotten about you.
2. Here is a link to an unofficial facebook page so I can better be available for questions from SDN users and Non SDN users: https://www.facebook.com/groups/705187572996253/
I do not regular SDN so if you have any preliminary questions please post on this fb group! I have added Bats so she can help direct you there if you need help!

I'm excited to meet you all in August! I'll be in contact as we approach summer!

Reactions: 5 users