University of Illinois c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dear Class of 2021,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!
My name is Kelsey and I am the ISCAVMA (Illinois Student Chapter...) President-elect, which means I will be working very closely with your class over the summer and during the early part of the school year! I have a few things to clarify while I'm on here:

1. If you choose to accept your offer to Illinois and you submit your deposit and your forms, you will probably not be contacted by Illinois until May. This is normal. They have not forgotten about you.
2. Here is a link to an unofficial facebook page so I can better be available for questions from SDN users and Non SDN users: https://www.facebook.com/groups/705187572996253/
I do not regular SDN so if you have any preliminary questions please post on this fb group! I have added Bats so she can help direct you there if you need help!

I'm excited to meet you all in August! I'll be in contact as we approach summer!
Lol are you going to let upperclassmen take over the page? I felt bad for your class, everyone bombarded your unofficial page with books for sale :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Out of State, Arkansas, accepted!!

Reactions: 1 user
OOS accepted! Any input as to what the equine/LA experience is like and about what the masters in public health is like would be greatly appreciated
I was the treasurer of our Public Health Association so I can try to answer some questions. The dual degree is something you have to apply to similar to VMCAS and if you're accepted then you will need to complete about 1/3-1/2 of your classes before you graduate with your DVM. All of those will be online and you do not pay anything extra for those. Once you graduate (they no longer give you the option to do it between 3rd and 4th because so few people wanted to do that), you will go to Chicago to finish your MPH. You are allowed to work as a veterinarian while finishing your MPH as well. You can apply to the MPH program as a 1st OR 2nd year. It is highly discouraged to attempt to apply during your 3rd year as you'll have to pay for more of the classes. They have changed the structure of the program so you take less classes but they are for more credits and are more in depth for each class. If you have any other questions, you're welcome to ask.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Lol are you going to let upperclassmen take over the page? I felt bad for your class, everyone bombarded your unofficial page with books for sale :laugh:

I'm letting them in but I'll be monitoring that situation. And I will have our class rep tell their future class rep to create a new official page when they are ready.

I was the treasurer of our Public Health Association so I can try to answer some questions. The dual degree is something you have to apply to similar to VMCAS and if you're accepted then you will need to complete about 1/3-1/2 of your classes before you graduate with your DVM. All of those will be online and you do not pay anything extra for those. Once you graduate (they no longer give you the option to do it between 3rd and 4th because so few people wanted to do that), you will go to Chicago to finish your MPH. You are allowed to work as a veterinarian while finishing your MPH as well. You can apply to the MPH program as a 1st OR 2nd year. It is highly discouraged to attempt to apply during your 3rd year as you'll have to pay for more of the classes. They have changed the structure of the program so you take less classes but they are for more credits and are more in depth for each class. If you have any other questions, you're welcome to ask.

roughly how much would the extra year cost if you pursued the MPH?

To the people who haven't heard anything, don't be discouraged. I know I'm not an expert on how the post/mail works, but I am sure there are a lot of letters that need to be sorted and distributed still so you will probably hear back in the next day or few days. It will only make opening that letter even more special :) ps I'm sure there might be some who are on the waitlist who heard today. I applied two cycles and on my first cycle, I got waitlisted and I didn't post until a few days after. And if you do get on the waitlist, it generally moves so you still have a chance to hear good news. I remember being in your position last year anxiously waiting for my letter and it made it all the more special reading it after a long 9 hour work day lol. Let me know if anyone has any questions! I am an IS student and interested in small animal. :)

Who can I chat with about vet care for my littles? I have one kitty who has seizures and is currently getting laser therapy for his cystitis and I have a diabetic kitty. Just want to know what the situation with the clinic is in case they need care. How does that work for y'all? If anyone has time to PM me or if this is the right place to discuss it, I'm all ears! (I just made a huge list of things I have to do and this is right on top :cat:)

Who can I chat with about vet care for my littles? I have one kitty who has seizures and is currently getting laser therapy for his cystitis and I have a diabetic kitty. Just want to know what the situation with the clinic is in case they need care. How does that work for y'all? If anyone has time to PM me or if this is the right place to discuss it, I'm all ears! (I just made a huge list of things I have to do and this is right on top :cat:)
We get 20% off at the teaching hospital, and many local clinics also offer the same discount to vet students. The teaching hospital tends to be the more expensive option, but they're the go-to place for things beyond GP. We do have a primary care service though. Some clinicians are really good about letting you drop off your pet before classes and getting it after, but it's a matter of finding them at the right time to talk about your pet and that can be difficult.

The teaching hospital also is usually booked out a week or two for most services, so it can be hard to get in if something comes up. That's the only reason I stopped using them and started using a local clinic for my cats' GP, besides it being a little cheaper. I still use the zoo med service for my rabbit, but if he ever gets really sick, I'm facing an ER charge because there is no same day 'fitting you in' at the teaching hospital.

Exactly what Pinkpuppy said. I think generally most students use clinics around town for every day care of their pets. I know my vet gives me like a 10-20% (I can't remember right now) discount and lets me go to the back to look at rads and look over bloodwork for my pets. Emergencies generally do tend to be the teaching hospital, but we do have one other emergency in town which is a little cheaper. It's where I got 2 of the 3 surgeries for my dog done and it was half the cost of the university. Understandably, the teaching hospital has a lot of people to pay and a lot of overhead so they're going to be more expensive.

We get 20% off at the teaching hospital, and many local clinics also offer the same discount to vet students. The teaching hospital tends to be the more expensive option, but they're the go-to place for things beyond GP. We do have a primary care service though. Some clinicians are really good about letting you drop off your pet before classes and getting it after, but it's a matter of finding them at the right time to talk about your pet and that can be difficult.

The teaching hospital also is usually booked out a week or two for most services, so it can be hard to get in if something comes up. That's the only reason I stopped using them and started using a local clinic for my cats' GP, besides it being a little cheaper. I still use the zoo med service for my rabbit, but if he ever gets really sick, I'm facing an ER charge because there is no same day 'fitting you in' at the teaching hospital.

Great advice! Thank you!

Exactly what Pinkpuppy said. I think generally most students use clinics around town for every day care of their pets. I know my vet gives me like a 10-20% (I can't remember right now) discount and lets me go to the back to look at rads and look over bloodwork for my pets. Emergencies generally do tend to be the teaching hospital, but we do have one other emergency in town which is a little cheaper. It's where I got 2 of the 3 surgeries for my dog done and it was half the cost of the university. Understandably, the teaching hospital has a lot of people to pay and a lot of overhead so they're going to be more expensive.

Awesome. Yeah... my little guy (Jackson) is only 2.5 years old but has had a whole host of health issues, so knowing where to go and what to do in an emergency is key. Especially since I have the luxury of working at a vet hospital right now where I can just bring him in whenever.

Awesome. Yeah... my little guy (Jackson) is only 2.5 years old but has had a whole host of health issues, so knowing where to go and what to do in an emergency is key. Especially since I have the luxury of working at a vet hospital right now where I can just bring him in whenever.
Yep, we have two emergency clinics in town like clover said. The teaching hospital lets you be a bit more involved with your pets case usually (a classmate sat in on her own dogs emergency surgery a few weeks ago, another friend was allowed to sit with her dog in the ICU cage between classes), but just know that anything emergency will likely approach thousands if surgery is involved. I can't speak to how much the other emergency clinic tends to cost.

I think it also depends on the nature of the emergency if you can tell. The teaching hospital will always be better equipped no matter what. All of the clinics in town refer to us when they've reached the end of their capabilities. We have the MRI, CT, assortment of boarded brainiacs, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, we have two emergency clinics in town like clover said. The teaching hospital lets you be a bit more involved with your pets case usually (a classmate sat in on her own dogs emergency surgery a few weeks ago, another friend was allowed to sit with her dog in the ICU cage between classes), but just know that anything emergency will likely approach thousands if surgery is involved. I can't speak to how much the other emergency clinic tends to cost.

I think it also depends on the nature of the emergency if you can tell. The teaching hospital will always be better equipped no matter what. All of the clinics in town refer to us when they've reached the end of their capabilities. We have the MRI, CT, assortment of boarded brainiacs, etc.

Awesome. I'm so glad there are other ER options in town aside from the teaching hospital. But also... how awesome to have all of those resources available! Ugh... so excited. :biglove:

Awesome. I'm so glad there are other ER options in town aside from the teaching hospital. But also... how awesome to have all of those resources available! Ugh... so excited. :biglove:
Yeah, they aren't cheap even with the student discount (I think our MRI is charging out at like $1000 a pop right now, but we also have the newest/best veterinary MRI in the world supposedly), but it's good to have around.

It's definitely cheaper. Both of the foreign body surgeries my dog got at the other emergency were between 1100-1200 and ER quoted me 3000-4000 for the same surgery. Granted, I had already done all the diagnostics at the teaching hospital so it probably would've been closer to 2000 total at the other if I hadn't. And yes I know my animals are expensive lol.

It's definitely cheaper. Both of the foreign body surgeries my dog got at the other emergency were between 1100-1200 and ER quoted me 3000-4000 for the same surgery. Granted, I had already done all the diagnostics at the teaching hospital so it probably would've been closer to 2000 total at the other if I hadn't. And yes I know my animals are expensive lol.
Ick. I think my classmate said her final bill was around $5-6k for a few days in ICU and a an exploratory. If you end up needing emergency orthopedic surgery for a back dog? Yeah, might as well start saving now. That's the one reason I won't get a dachshund lol

I'm wrapping my dog in bubble wrap.

I am thinking about getting emergency pet insurance though!

Just got my letter, OOS ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Reactions: 8 users
So, can anyone show me or tell me what the requirements for matriculation paper is? It said it was attached in the envelope, but I don't have it? Thanks!

Last edited:
I don't understand, how can I live in Illinois and still not have a letter..

OOS in MA. No letter today :( I'm starting to get anxious!

So, can anyone show me or tell me what the requirements for matriculation paper is? It said it was attached in the envelope, but I don't have it? Thanks!

There should be second paper in there with boxes next to "I accept" or "I decline" and information on the matriculation fee. I would definitely call them!

Thank god for my Care Credit card. We've used that puppy a couple of times and the "no interest if paid off within a specific amount of time" has saved our butts on a couple occasions.

There should be second paper in there with boxes next to "I accept" or "I decline" and information on the matriculation fee. I would definitely call them!
Oh! I have that form with the boxes.. I just thought there was another form LOL my bad

There are only two forms in the envelope correct?

What rental agencies have you guys found to be most helpful? I've already contacted Green Street Realty, but their Yelp reviews are pretty unsavory. We want to try and secure something soon, but we're also hesitant because most likely we won't be able to actually see a place before we agree to rent it. One of us might try to come out for a day or two if we can swing it but I don't think it's likely. Thanks in advance for your help!!!!

What rental agencies have you guys found to be most helpful? I've already contacted Green Street Realty, but their Yelp reviews are pretty unsavory. We want to try and secure something soon, but we're also hesitant because most likely we won't be able to actually see a place before we agree to rent it. One of us might try to come out for a day or two if we can swing it but I don't think it's likely. Thanks in advance for your help!!!!

My only suggestion here is to not go with the Place or the Village. There's cheaper options and the headache isn't worth it.

You'll get mixed reviews no matter what agency you pick (that goes for any college town, really). What kind of place are you looking for (bedrooms/bathrooms, apartment, house, etc).

My only suggestion here is to not go with the Place or the Village. There's cheaper options and the headache isn't worth it.
Uh oh, what happened? They gave us problems too, that's why we only stayed there a year.

Still nothing at my permanent address in Illinois. :(

I didn't have good experiences with Green Street. The apartment complex off of Colorado and Philo has a lot of my classmates.

We are looking for a 2+ bedroom house, pet-friendly (3 cats), washer/dryer, max $900 rent a month. We're not too terribly picky. Just don't want to deal with sketchy rental agencies. We've dealt with enough of them here in State College, unfortunately.

We are looking for a 2+ bedroom house, pet-friendly (3 cats), washer/dryer, max $900 rent a month. We're not too terribly picky. Just don't want to deal with sketchy rental agencies. We've dealt with enough of them here in State College, unfortunately.

Let me know if you have any luck! I'm looking for something like that but ideally with a fenced yard.

I didn't have good experiences with Green Street. The apartment complex off of Colorado and Philo has a lot of my classmates.
My personal recommendation is to avoid going east of Vine street, even though that's the cheapest area near school. It's cheap for a reason, it's like the epicenter of crime for Urbana, especially at Florida/Philo. The officer who came out for my car told me that anything from Vine to Philo is considered the 'bad' neighborhood of Urbana. I didn't realize it prior to renting here because it definitely doesn't look like a bad neighborhood other than being a bit old. I'm from the Detroit area, so it hasn't really phased me and I would stay if my sheltered roommates didn't go into full panic mode over my car being broken into :laugh: There are definitely a lot of vet students out this way who haven't had issues, but I want you to be aware that there is an increased risk out this way. The city of Urbana has an up to date crime map if you want to see more. Landlords definitely know this isn't the best area, but they won't tell you that obviously. It's not like you have a risk of being shot while walking your dog, but cars and homes definitely get broken into regularly.

Coming from experience, it is incredibly difficult to find a landlord here that is okay with more than two pets. I'm currently sneaking a third cat and a turtle, but do so at your own risk. I'm currently renting with Joel Ward homes, and I wouldn't recommend them only because his son seems to manage the students and he is clueless. However, I'm in a 3 bed 3 bath condo that's renting at $1326 a month total, so if anyone is interested in it, let me know.

I'm looking at one bedrooms now and I haven't seen anything below $600ish which sucks :arghh: As far as housing goes, there really isn't an excellent option for people with several pets who want to be within 10 minutes of the school. CCR realty doesn't enforce pet limits and they have a decent selection of places. Having looked for days though, there are few affordable options with more than one bathroom or that aren't just too small for that many cats.

Reactions: 2 users
I used to live at Florida and Philo and can concur it's the bad part of Urbana. I constantly had to report problems with others in the apartment complex with little to no resolution. The police had to be called at least a few times a month and someone fired a gun in the complex. Someone else tried to set my building on fire twice and others let their dogs out without any supervision. My dog is picky about who he likes so it was very stressful for me. On top of that, I had to call the cops on my verbally abusive neighbor who was yelling at her kids so loud I could hear everything she was saying. The apartments were Tennyson Courtyards and I would avoid them like the plague. The place I live now has its problems since it's an older home, but he's quick to respond and doesn't care that we have 5 animals. Rector Realty is what I have now.

IS accepted! However, I will be declining my seat for another offer. Good luck to those still waiting!

Hey guys! I'm a first time poster and first time applicant, IS. Jw, those of you who are IS and have received responses, where are you from? I'm in Champaign currently but my letter could be going to Chicago....I'm getting pretty anxious haha

Hey guys! I'm a first time poster and first time applicant, IS. Jw, those of you who are IS and have received responses, where are you from? I'm in Champaign currently but my letter could be going to Chicago....I'm getting pretty anxious haha
I'm IS but go to school in MN, and received my letter in MN. I think they are sending it to whatever address you have listed as "current" of your VMCAS application.

I'm IS but go to school in MN, and received my letter in MN. I think they are sending it to whatever address you have listed as "current" of your VMCAS application.

Thanks! I guess what I'm wondering is if people in/near Chicago have gotten anything haha

My friend who is a UIUC student called this morning when her roommate received a letter and she did not at the same address and they told her that a second wave of letters was sent out on Monday. Hope this helps alleviate some of the anxiety! I am IS and received my acceptance yesterday! I am also a UIUC student currently :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
My friend who is a UIUC student called this morning when her roommate received a letter and she did not at the same address and they told her that a second wave of letters was sent out on Monday. Hope this helps alleviate some of the anxiety! I am IS and reclosed my acceptance yesterday! I am also a UIUC student currently :)
Not to freak people out (myself included), but I wonder if it is possible that this second wave of letters are only waitlist letters.... because everyone so far has received acceptances.

Not to freak people out (myself included), but I wonder if it is possible that this second wave of letters are only waitlist letters.... because everyone so far has received acceptances.
I was thinking the same thing :/

I don't believe that's ever been the case historically. Either way, waitlists move!

The second wave of letters are all alternates. Just called and confirmed this with Susan.Why the school could not send all letters out at once I'm not sure since they would had to have known Friday who were and were not alternates. Incredibly disheartening and frustrating process this has been but I am happy it is finally over.

The second wave of letters are all alternates. Just called and confirmed this with Susan.Why the school could not send all letters out at once I'm not sure since they would had to have known Friday who were and were not alternates. Incredibly disheartening and frustrating process this has been but I am happy it is finally over.
:'(

How soon should we be looking for housing/ roommates? Is there a good forum for stuff like this? I know there is a Facebook group but is that what that is used for? I know this is probably too early but I live in Chicago so I'm used to having to find apartments many months before I can move in haha.

How soon should we be looking for housing/ roommates? Is there a good forum for stuff like this? I know there is a Facebook group but is that what that is used for? I know this is probably too early but I live in Chicago so I'm used to having to find apartments many months before I can move in haha.
You can definitely use that group to put feelers out for roommates. It wouldn't hurt to get a rough idea of where you might want to sign now, but obviously don't commit to anyone/anything until you're sure! Renewing season is right now, so in the next month or two we should start seeing units pop up that are going to be vacant for the next school year.