University of Illinois c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 1 user
That's crazy for me to hear. Why would veterinary professionals believe that zoo animals/wildlife are somehow less deserving of medical attention and advancements than domestic animals? Personally, I'm really excited to hear that so many people are becoming interested in zoo med because the profession can only benefit from it.

But yeah, like PinkPuppy, I'm kind of biased. I'm a zookeeper and I only really applied to the schools that have some big emphasis on zoo med. That's what I want to do, and that's where almost all of my experience is. Hopefully the negativity at Illinois doesn't actually impact the effectiveness of their wildlife program because that's the big reason why I applied. Here's to hoping I get an interview!!
I haven't seen any kind of impact from it. The WEAMS staff rarely let anything bother them and they're all great at what they do. They're honest about complications and mistakes they've made in the past, which I think helps to show they're not infallible and lessens the anxiety of it all. If zoo med is your interest, UIUC is still one of the best around.

FWIW, WEAMS was the first rotation I had last quarter and I loved it. We got to do patient contact a few days, went to the zoo and assisted there, and learned a lot of information about exotics husbandry.

Members don't see this ad :)
:whistle:
Seriously twiddling my thumbs waiting for an interview invite or rejection. The length of this process is giving me some new hair of the grey variety.:uhno:

Reactions: 3 users
:whistle:
Seriously twiddling my thumbs waiting for an interview invite or rejection. The length of this process is giving me some new hair of the grey variety.:uhno:

We go back to classes next Tuesday, and I got my invite on Thursday the 14th last year. So patience, young padawan. You're probably about a week away. :cool:

The closer it gets to notification time, the more impatient I get :confused:. It's so hard to focus on anything else...:smack:

The closer it gets to notification time, the more impatient I get :confused:. It's so hard to focus on anything else...:smack:

I feel you. Lol. I had 6/8 rejections at that point and there was a lot of SO and life downhill spirals going on. So that interview invite was an anchor at the time. I get the anxiety part there. But I would imagine no news is good news at this point. Just hold on.

Reactions: 1 users
Having only applied to two schools, I'm just a ball of nerves feeling like I should have submitted to more schools... But thanks for the advice! I will hang in there. Only a few more days.:lol:

Having only applied to two schools, I'm just a ball of nerves feeling like I should have submitted to more schools... But thanks for the advice! I will hang in there. Only a few more days.:lol:

Then I hope to see you interview day! I'm pretty sure I'll be giving tours that day, so I'll be pretty easy to find. I'll be one of the people in a blue coat. ;)

Are we going to hear today or tomorrow? I am really nervous but excited!

Are we going to hear today or tomorrow? I am really nervous but excited!

Bats is guessing no:

We go back to classes next Tuesday, and I got my invite on Thursday the 14th last year. So patience, young padawan. You're probably about a week away. :cool:

We're just barely into mid-January, and it seems they tend to run a little behind. I guess they could tell us today or tomorrow, but once classes are back in session on Tuesday will be more likely. Monday's a holiday so it won't be then.

EDIT: As in, Tuesday or later is more likely. I doubt they'll send them out the first day back, but who knows!

Last edited:
Friendly reminder to you all that the main office is literally swamped with work right now! They will inform you all of your status ASAP!

Reactions: 7 users
I just called to see if they had received my transcripts yet and since I was already on the phone decided it didn't hurt and asked who i was speaking with if they knew about when they were sending out interview invites and she said "when they finish going over the applications. It's going to be a little bit."
so that quelled a small amount of my anxiety about not hearing back today since its a month out from the interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just called to see if they had received my transcripts yet and since I was already on the phone decided it didn't hurt and asked who i was speaking with if they knew about when they were sending out interview invites and she said "when they finish going over the applications. It's going to be a little bit."
so that quelled a small amount of my anxiety about not hearing back today since its a month out from the interview.
I'm pretty sure that someone on here said some people in their offices retired recently and that 3rd and 4th years hadnt received their schedules, so I'm assuming that they have to have everyone on that and that we, understandably, get put on the back burner.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm pretty sure that someone on here said some people in their offices retired recently and that 3rd and 4th years hadnt received their schedules, so I'm assuming that they have to have everyone on that and that we, understandably, get put on the back burner.

This. I think @pinkpuppy9 said the second years only got their rotation schedule a few weeks ago. So third and fourth years need to know about rotations and professional development.

Fourth years also got our NAVLE results today. Dr. Foreman said that ASA receives official word in early February. Fourth years also received an email about helping out with interview day recently. (Just some more things to keep ASA busy) :)

This. I think @pinkpuppy9 said the second years only got their rotation schedule a few weeks ago. So third and fourth years need to know about rotations and professional development.
And to add insult to injury, the E-value website is giving us a lot of glitches, so that's an extra thing to deal with...

And to add insult to injury, the E-value website is giving us a lot of glitches, so that's an extra thing to deal with...

E-value was such a pain. Busy work to the max.

UPDATE: ASA will have 4th and 3rd year clinical schedules started in the next weekish. The person in charge of sending out the surveys talked to us today so they should get to y'all soon. They will hopefully have new staff soon to help remove this problem in the future. Please be patient. Thank you.

I know, sorry! Just anxious as heck.
I understand. I was in your shoes once. ASA is just working as fast and as hard as they can to do what they need to do, but I believe you will know soon.

Got one of those ASA emails by accident. Was super excited/nervous for a second, then realized what happened.

Got one of those ASA emails by accident. Was super excited/nervous for a second, then realized what happened.
Just curious... what ASA email? (Forgive me if you're at Illinois and this has nothing to do with us applicants...)

Last edited:
Just curious... what ASA email? (Forgive me if you're at Illinois and this has nothing to do with us applicants...)

Probably the one sent to 3rd and 4th years.

Probably the one sent to 3rd and 4th years.
@ShelterMedFTW They're right. It was intended for a 3rd or 4th year, sent it to me by accident. I guess I must have a similar email (I went to UIUC for undergrad), because we definitely didn't have similar first names, and I didn't use my illinois email for applications this year anyway.

@ShelterMedFTW They're right. It was intended for a 3rd or 4th year, sent it to me by accident. I guess I must have a similar email (I went to UIUC for undergrad), because we definitely didn't have similar first names, and I didn't use my illinois email for applications this year anyway.
Or you're just being accepted to the 3rd year class :p

Or you're just being accepted to the 3rd year class :p
Haha I may be a little lost in that year. Though last year I applied there, got waitlisted, then checked my U of I transcript to verify stuff for this cycle, and it said that I was in the class of 2020... I contact them, and they tell me "no, that's a mistake, we'll fix it." :(

U of I likes to give me heart attacks...

You should have just said... NOPE! No mistake here!!! See you in August!!! :p
Oh I wanted to, so so badly lol. But they screwed up last year and had twice as many accept their admission as expected, so closed the waitlist immediately and, based on what they did with the human medical students, asked people to defer a year. I'm pretty sure the class of 2020 is the largest they've ever had by far.

Oh I wanted to, so so badly lol. But they screwed up last year and had twice as many accept their admission as expected, so closed the waitlist immediately and, based on what they did with the human medical students, asked people to defer a year. I'm pretty sure the class of 2020 is the largest they've ever had by far.

We are. lol. There were 180 (so 50 more than they had expected) of us in May, 161 on the first day. Two people deferred to next year before the first midterm, so we're down to 159. Us OOSers jacked everything up for them.

We weren't asked directly to defer for a year. But they were pretty lax on who got deferred for what until 2021.

I read on the APVMA Facebook page that someone called their office yesterday and was told not to expect anything until late Jan and possibly mid-late Feb. also that interviews and rejections are going out all at once. Soo I'm just going to try my best to completely forget about it haha

I read on the APVMA Facebook page that someone called their office yesterday and was told not to expect anything until late Jan and possibly mid-late Feb. also that interviews and rejections are going out all at once. Soo I'm just going to try my best to completely forget about it haha

The interview is mid-February. I would expect you guys to hear by Monday or Tuesday at the latest. I would take what you see on that page with a grain of salt; there's plenty of misinformation there.

So do you mean that 2 or 21 OOS people deferred for this year? Hahah

I know 2 deferred for sure. The others between May and August could've deferred, gone to a different school, decided not attend, etc.

And interviews are still scheduled on February 13th?

And interviews are still scheduled on February 13th?

Exactly what I was thinking. I just wouldn't be that surprised if they need to push it back.

Exactly what I was thinking. I just wouldn't be that surprised if they need to push it back.

At least I can relax for the next week or so and don't check my emails every hour :D

At least I can relax for the next week or so and don't check my emails every hour :D

Right! I'm actually to the point where I dont even get excited when I see an email anymore

We are. lol. There were 180 (so 50 more than they had expected) of us in May, 161 on the first day. Two people deferred to next year before the first midterm, so we're down to 159. Us OOSers jacked everything up for them.

We weren't asked directly to defer for a year. But they were pretty lax on who got deferred for what until 2021.
Yeah, doesn't out-of-state make up the majority for the first time? The vet I was working with said it was 40/60 to OOS instead of the usual 60/40 or 70/30 towards IS.

So it's not true that several people in your class didn't pass the first quarter? We hear whispers...lol.

So it's not true that several people in your class didn't pass the first quarter? We hear whispers...lol.

I'll PM you the down low that I know. Lol. I don't get a lot of gossip from my class, so I don't get a lot of info.

I'll PM you the down low that I know. Lol. I don't get a lot of gossip from my class, so I don't get a lot of info.
Hey, long time no see lol. Hey guys! I am a first year here at Illinois just like batsenecal over here. I was hoping you guys would be getting your interview emails soon but I know the administration has been extremely busy since we got back to school this week. Hopefully tomorrow or next week!

Last edited:
Hey, long time to see lol. Hey guys! I am a first year here at Illinois just like batsenecal over here. I was hoping you guys would be getting your interview emails soon but I know the administration has been extremely busy since we got back to school this week. Hopefully tomorrow or next week!

Are you who I think you are?

Edit: I know who you are! :p

UPDATE (again): We got an email saying we've been put on the back burner so they can get your interview invites and such out soon. My class has started scheduling stuff without them. It also said they have like 5 new people in ASA so they're trying to train and get stuff done at the same time. Hopefully that means next year will run smoothly for everyone.

UPDATE (again): We got an email saying we've been put on the back burner so they can get your interview invites and such out soon. My class has started scheduling stuff without them. It also said they have like 5 new people in ASA so they're trying to train and get stuff done at the same time. Hopefully that means next year will run smoothly for everyone.
Thanks for the update! That sucks that you guys are on the back burner though :(
At least you can schedule stuff without them though...

Thanks for the update! That sucks that you guys are on the back burner though :(
At least you can schedule stuff without them though...
We're not supposed to because they can't guarantee any of those days off, but we're 2 months out from starting clinics and need to answer externships about when we can come. Our class is frequently put last so it's nothing new for us. 4th years are getting put off too for professional development, which is frustrating them. They'll probably be completely last since theirs needs less scheduling than ours. We'll see. I'm just happy to hear they have new people in ASA finally so once they know how to do things, stuff like this won't happen anymore.

The first years and second years just got the e-mail asking for people to help out on interview day and sign ups are until Monday. So I doubt you guys will have a delayed interview date, just FYI.

I'm not an insider or anything but I hope you guys will hear at some point this week (hopefully earlier rather than later) :)

Reactions: 7 users
Here's to hoping today is the day! (or this week is the week) Good luck to all! :cat: