University of Minnesota C/O 2022 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greeneyegal92

c/o 2022!!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've grown tired of waiting for this thread to exist so here it is, look forward to meeting you all :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm considering applying here too this cycle! :)

Reactions: 1 user
I'll also be applying here! 2nd time applicant but 1st time applying to Minnesota :) The diversity essay will definitely require a lot of thinking...

Members don't see this ad :)
So excited to see this thread!!! 2nd time applicant, 1st time Minnesota applicant. OOS. This is one school I really hope I get into.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Second time applicant but it will be my first time applying here. I'm assuming the diversity essay should be longer than the examples they gave correct?

Second time applicant but it will be my first time applying here. I'm assuming the diversity essay should be longer than the examples they gave correct?

What diversity essay are you talking about? I thought UMN doesn't have a supplemental...

I'm applying here as well! Second time applicant first time applying here. Good luck everyone

It was within the VMCAS I believe. I decided not to apply to UMN though.

I feel like I may as well apply since there's no supplemental :p

I feel like I may as well apply since there's no supplemental :p
Be warned they do have a supplemental fee. Just no essay or additional information to go with it. And of course there's the additional cost of the extra VMCAS application. I wouldn't just throw an application at UMN just because, the IS tuition is one of the highest, not even bringing up the OOS tuition... I mean I went there and it was a fine school but like, there are other considerations.

Just in general, I wouldn't waste an application on any school that I wouldn't attend if they were the only one to accept me that year. Otherwise just wasting your time and money.

Reactions: 1 users
Be warned they do have a supplemental fee. Just no essay or additional information to go with it. And of course there's the additional cost of the extra VMCAS application. I wouldn't just throw an application at UMN just because, the IS tuition is one of the highest, not even bringing up the OOS tuition... I mean I went there and it was a fine school but like, there are other considerations.

Just in general, I wouldn't waste an application on any school that I wouldn't attend if they were the only one to accept me that year. Otherwise just wasting your time and money.

Yeah, I guess that's true. Honestly people keep telling me to diversity where I'm applying. There's a huge part of me that wants to just apply to my in-state.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I guess that's true. Honestly people keep telling me to diversity where I'm applying. There's a huge part of me that wants to just apply to my in-state.
My advice would be to figure out what areas your application is strong in and what you have the pre-reqs for. Then find the list of schools that match those and figure out which are the cheapest (and which you'd be willing to attend). Then apply to those. Applications to schools you're not a good fit for are also a waste of money. For example, UMN looks at the last 45 GPA and the pre-req GPA, so if your last 45 credits in undergrad tanked, UMN would not be a good fit for your application.

.... and the school's.

I actually interviewed someone last year that said they weren't seriously considering UMN, they just wanted some more experience interviewing.

I found that pretty ... offensive isn't the right word. Frustrating? Annoying? I mean, I gave up three full days of my busy life to help out evaluating candidates. To have one 'using' us for practice? Not appropriate. If you want practice interviews, talk to friends, current/former employers, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
do we know when we'll hear back for interview invites??

Last year was 1st week of December!

Reactions: 3 users
Worth noting; I am not an authoritative source (i.e. I do not work for the school), but it is my understanding that the interview weeks will be broken up this year because the Superbowl is in MN during interviews. Instead of 3 weeks in a row, one week will be taken off (so interviews will be over 4 weeks instead of 3). Unless they have plans differently than last year, I would presume offers would go out that first week after interviews complete like usual.

Take that all with a grain of salt.

Worth noting; I am not an authoritative source (i.e. I do not work for the school), but it is my understanding that the interview weeks will be broken up this year because the Superbowl is in MN during interviews. Instead of 3 weeks in a row, one week will be taken off (so interviews will be over 4 weeks instead of 3). Unless they have plans differently than last year, I would presume offers would go out that first week after interviews complete like usual.

Take that all with a grain of salt.

Based on the student ambassador schedule, this is correct. At least the breaking up because of the Superbowl part.

Based on the student ambassador schedule, this is correct. At least the breaking up because of the Superbowl part.

Rats! I'm working the super bowl this year and thought how perfect that timing would be lol. Makes sense. Thanks for the update! Minnesota is tied for number 1 on my list so fingers crossed that I'll be able to visit a few times this winter.

Currently reviewing the class of 2021 profile on UMN’s site... just curious, does anyone have a rough idea of how many applicants they invite to interview out of the 800ish applicants? Getting anxious for the end of December

Invite to interview!!! OOS!! :D:D:D

Reactions: 5 users
OOS interview invite!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Invite as well!

OOS interview invite as well! Good luck to everyone!

OOS interview invite! Congrats to everyone and good luck!

Someone please pinch me. Maybe then I’ll wake up.

Last edited:
Same I still have two more schools to hear from so I’m keeping a little bit of hope :dead:

Keep on holding on. It ain’t over till it’s over. And if this just isn’t your year then try again. You are smart and dedicated and capable and you can do it! All it takes is one acceptance.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if they send in waves. I didn’t receive a rejection nor an interview.

I seriously don’t know what’s going on this year you guys. Last year I was rejected everywhere and this year EVERYONE WANTS ME. Someone please pinch me. Maybe then I’ll wake up.
I am the opposite! My stats were way worse last year and I had more interview offers. This year I am getting rejected everywhere. So strange!

I am the opposite! My stats were way worse last year and I had more interview offers. This year I am getting rejected everywhere. So strange!
I’m the same boat fingers crossed for you!

OOS interview! After a week of disappointing news, too. Which is even more reason to keep your chin up--someone reminded me this week that the right school will pull through at the right time and to not lose faith. Don't need acceptances to 'em all :)

Reactions: 5 users
OOS Interview invite via email! Best of luck to everyone!

OOS interview invite! I asked for the 16th/17th...@toro2013 and @Klunix my email was in my “promotions” tab on gmail.

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know if they send in waves. I didn’t receive a rejection nor an interview.
I found the email and I got rejected (OOS)! Good luck to all who received positive news. I have received interviews from my in-state school and a couple others. Hopefully, I receive acceptances from those.

I am using gmail for application purposes. The email was not in my primary inbox. However, when I went to “all mail” the email appeared.

Good luck to all!

I also requested the weekend of Feb 16/17. Hope to see some of you there! Anyone have any idea how many OOS they interview?

OOS interview for me too! I'm interested in knowing how many candidates they interview too... I'm afraid it might not be worth the travel costs if the chances aren't high.

Congrats to those of you who got interviews! I'll see you there, I'm one of the student ambassadors (tour guides and panelists)! And @southcpupvet can vouch I know fun places to eat, happy to make recommendations or meet up with people :)

Those of you who didn't, keep your chin up! One rejection doesn't mean that you won't get into school or that you won't be a great vet someday. You'll find the right fit for you - and it might be Minnesota some day down the road. I didn't get admitted the first time I applied, and now I'm a second year here at the U of M. Hugs to you guys!

Reactions: 2 users
My email came a little later OOS INVITE!!!!