University of Minnesota C/O 2022 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
One comment for people since I know y'all will search previous threads to find out when acceptances go out.... because the SuperBowl is in MN this year during interviews .... instead of three weeks in a row for interviews they are skipping a week (four total weeks instead of three). So I would guess offers will be a week later than typical. Take with grain of salt since neither kcoughli or I are official representatives.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This is @LetItSnow interview advice from the 2021 thread:

Applicants that have interviewed, or vet students/grads that have gone through it, are not supposed to discuss specific questions.

Tips that I think are fair for me to say:
1) Relax. We want you to do well. We are on your side. We have to grade your answer, sure, but we are pulling for you to do well!
2) Don't constrain yourself to 'veterinary'-specific situations for your answers. Use all your life experience. A non-veterinary situation that really fits the question is much better than a veterinary answer that sorta can be shoeboxed into fitting.
3) The advice I've given for years now has been: Prior to the interview, find your happy place where you can reflect/meditate, and think back on meaningful experiences in your life. Relationships. Accomplishments. Goals (both failed and achieved). Conflicts. Etc. Just freshen them up in your head. Then, get your spouse/SO/close friend/parent/whatever, andask them if you can buy them coffee, and have them ask you behavioral questions. If you google you can find examples. Look forexamples along the lines of "tell me about a time when ...."
4) Take whatever time you need to think of/through your answer. Silence is notawkward and doesn't influence how your answer is evaluated.
5) Ideally it's more conversational. It is not intended to be a grilling. But it is aprofessional interview, and it is question/answer, so naturally it <might> feel a little intense. We aren't trying to intimidate you or make you nervous - we want to help you relax as much as we can.
6) Ask whatever questions you want in the time left at the end of the interview (if there is any). Doesn't even have to be about UMN specifically. If you have questions about working in the field, living in MN, UMN CVM ... it all is fair game. You are not evaluated on questions you ask us.

There is a brief section in the UMN CVMProspective Student Planning Guide about the interview. It may contain more usefulinformation for you. The current guide is for admittance 2018, but the interview process is still relevant.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else interviewing on January 26th? I booked my flight, hotel, and car rental. Definitely not cheap :dead:

Anyone else interviewing on January 26th? I booked my flight, hotel, and car rental. Definitely not cheap :dead:
I'm going in February. Looking at the DoubleTree in University area. They offer a 5-mi shuttle that should go to the school and to the light-rail, which also goes to the airport, so can skip the car :)

I'm going in February. Looking at the DoubleTree in University area. They offer a 5-mi shuttle that should go to the school and to the light-rail, which also goes to the airport, so can skip the car :)
That’s good! I just get so much anxiety about having to rely on something else for my transportation (Uber, shuttle, etc). I always come up with the worst possible scenarios lol. Is this your first interview?

That’s good! I just get so much anxiety about having to rely on something else for my transportation (Uber, shuttle, etc). I always come up with the worst possible scenarios lol. Is this your first interview?
I would be anxious if I was driving and the weather was iffy! Us Seattlites can't drive in snow, rain, hail, fog, wind, or sun. But especially snow. So feel much better letting the hotel take care of it. Also it *is* expensive and I'm all about cutting costs :p

Florida will be my first one at the end of this month. Then WSU and finally Minnesota will be my last, so hopefully by then I'll be a seasoned veteran :laugh:

I would be anxious if I was driving and the weather was iffy! Us Seattlites can't drive in snow, rain, hail, fog, wind, or sun. But especially snow. So feel much better letting the hotel take care of it. Also it *is* expensive and I'm all about cutting costs :p

Florida will be my first one at the end of this month. Then WSU and finally Minnesota will be my last, so hopefully by then I'll be a seasoned veteran :laugh:

I think it's a good idea to let public transit / Uber / hotel move you around in a strange place. More efficient, and you don't get lost that way.

Used to be that the UMN had students who could help you get from hotel -> school -> hotel again for your interview. I don't know if they still do that or not.

I think it's a good idea to let public transit / Uber / hotel move you around in a strange place. More efficient, and you don't get lost that way.

Used to be that the UMN had students who could help you get from hotel -> school -> hotel again for your interview. I don't know if they still do that or not.

We do! I think you get signed up for a ride by emailing Violeta about it.

Reactions: 1 users
Just had my first mock interview in preparation, just curious if it is acceptable to bring in a bottle of water to the real because my mouth gets so dry talking a lot

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! Would any of you who were given an interview offer share your stats? :) Applying this upcoming cycle to start in 2019!

Hi guys! Would any of you who were given an interview offer share your stats? :) Applying this upcoming cycle to start in 2019!
22 year old female, Minnesota resident, first time applicant

Applied: Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Colorado, Cornell
Interviewed: Minnesota, Iowa, Colorado
Rejected: Wisconsin, Cornell
Waitlisted: Iowa, Colorado
Accepted: Minnesota, Iowa (waitlist), Colorado (waitlist)
Attending: Minnesota :)

Overall GPA: 3.77
Science GPA: 3.53-3.7
Last 45 GPA: 3.63

Degree: BS Animal Science and minor in Psychology May 2017

GRE (V/Q/W): 150/155/4.0

Veterinary Experience:
Shadowing various small animal clinics (15 hours)
Working at university dairy farm (1000 hours)
Study abroad with CVM in Ecuador (75 hours)

Animal Experience:
Volunteer at wildlife rehab center (30 hours)
Internship at fiber goat farm (200 hours)
Worked at university sheep farm (350 hours)
Volunteer at swine nutrition facility (15 hours)
Volunteer at equine assisted therapy center (6 hours)
Student manager at university dairy farm (400 hours)
Public outreach internship with Iowa State Fair Boulevard of Dairy Breeds (150 hours)

Work Experience:
Gymnastics coach at two gyms in high school (500 hours)
HyVee (100 hours)

Extracurriculars:
4H - club offices, county ambassador, projects, volunteering
Women in science and engineering learning community
Academic chair for dorm floor
Sorority - leadership positions and committees, volunteering
Dance Marathon
Pre-Vet Club
Veterinarians Without Borders
Animal Nutrition and Behavior Club
Dairy Science Club

Awards:
High school awards for academics, sports, and music
4H - key award, achievement scholarship, achievement awards, state fair awards
President's Leadership Class
Sorority - semester awards, alum scholarship, outstanding leader of the year, order of omega
Alpha Zeta Agricultural Honors Fraternity
Scholarships from university, college, and department
National society of collegiate scholars
Highest 2% College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Freshman
Dean's list - 6 semesters

LORs
Vet/supervisor at university dairy farm
Other supervisor at university dairy farm
Goat internship boss
Academic advisor

Personal Statement
Started with my interest in veterinary medicine when I was a child and how it developed and grew in high school and college through classes and work. Talked about various experiences that defined me and why I want to be a veterinarian - losing my dad to ALS, first shadowing, internships and jobs. Touched on my leadership experiences. Ended with what being a veterinarian means to me and my goals in the field.

23 year old female, Washington State resident, second time applicant

Applied: Washington, Minnesota, Florida
Interviewing: Washington, Minnesota, Florida

Overall GPA: 3.59
Science GPA: 3.49
Last 45 GPA: 3.38

Degree: BS Microbiology 8/2017

GRE (V/Q/W): 160/162/4.0

marking current experiences with a c
Veterinary Experience:
Observation of porpoise necropsy (3 hours)
Mouse health check assistant (144 hours)
SA vet assistant (760 hours)
Overnight kennel attendant (90 hours)
Veterinary assistant course (280 hours)

Animal Experience:
Volunteer at parrot sanctuary (42 hours, c)
Zebra finch husbandry (110 hours)
Field Investigator/Responder for ASPCA (mixed animals: dogs, roosters, horses) (120 hours)
Animal shelter dog walker/volunteer (624+832 hours (two shelters))
Cat adoption counselor (104 hours)
Small animal massage training (1000 hours)
Housesitting/petsitting (1700 hours, c)
Dog boarding facility manager (5840 hours)
Pony club volunteer (91 hours)

Work Experience:
Store associate (3915 hours, c)
Brand ambassador (288 hours)

Extracurriculars:
Not a member of any clubs, I listed various hobbies incl. water sports, cooking, dance, and camping lol

Volunteer:
Assistant chef/server for soup kitchen (5 hours)
Eastern African refugee tutor (18 hours)
Board of Directors officer (145 hours)
Summer camp counselor (210 hours)

Research:
Physiological research of mussels (11 hours)
Review of canine immunotherapy treatments (22 hours)
Use of mice as language development models (47 hours)

Awards:
Dean's list 2 quarters
Associate's degree w/ honors

LORs
1. Immunology research paper mentor (very famous professor)
2/3. Two veterinarians from school's Department of Comparative Medicine
4. Research mentor/employer
5. Employer

Essays
I completed the option explanation statement to discuss my change of major from business to microbiology and other times that I withdrew from classes and one subpar quarter.

In the required essays I discussed my specific interests in specializations and drew from this to write the other essays. Because of the limited word count I counted write as much as I wanted, and gave lots of specifics/examples regarding few ideas rather than few details for many ideas.

It seems like almost everyone has already interviewed now. Is anyone planning on interviewing the last weekend (Feb 16/17)?? Just wondering how the interviews work since it looks like acceptances are already going out.

@puppers4life I'll be at the Feb 16th/17th interview! I don't think UMN has sent acceptances yet... think it's just people's stats who were offered interviews.

Anyone interviewing January 26th? I’m going alone so it would be nice to have someone to possibly go out to eat with or explore the city a little bit!

It seems like almost everyone has already interviewed now. Is anyone planning on interviewing the last weekend (Feb 16/17)?? Just wondering how the interviews work since it looks like acceptances are already going out.

The U of M does not do acceptances without interviews. People are just posting their stats for getting interviews. And interviews start next week.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I thought I was seeing acceptance stats, but it's all clear now haha

Anyone interviewing January 26th? I’m going alone so it would be nice to have someone to possibly go out to eat with or explore the city a little bit!
Hey girl! I'm a long time lurker but figured I'd make an account to reach out! I'm interviewing Jan 26th and am going alone too!! I met another girl at Tufts this week who is also in the same boat so we're planning to meet up in MN :) Definitely come with :) will DM you my info!

If anyone has any questions about the cities or looking for recommendations for anything feel free to shoot me a PM. I was born and raised here and attend undergrad here in the cities and would be happy to help anyone out!

If anyone has any questions about the cities or looking for recommendations for anything feel free to shoot me a PM. I was born and raised here and attend undergrad here in the cities and would be happy to help anyone out!

Better yet, post it here so everyone can benefit.

Definitely! I'll try to check often and reply as quick as I can!

Maybe we can all meet up on Friday evening for dinner? Anyone that's interested can come! And recommendations are welcome since this will be my first time in Minnesota :)

My restaurant suggestions for the Twin Cities, trying to only list moderately priced places since I'm sure you are all spending enough traveling here as it is.
Pazzaluna, Hola Arepa, Brit's pub, and Hell's Kitchen are a few my roommates and I came up with.

My restaurant suggestions for the Twin Cities, trying to only list moderately priced places since I'm sure you are all spending enough traveling here as it is.
Pazzaluna, Hola Arepa, Brit's pub, and Hell's Kitchen are a few my roommates and I came up with.
Hell’s Kitchen sounds interesting :cyclops:

I’ll be there’s the last interview weekend! Excited for all the foods

Does anyone know if the interview is open or closed file? Thanks

It’s closed

Does anyone know if the interview is open or closed file? Thanks

In theory closed, but not necessarily. Most of the interviewers aren’t involved in reviewing applications, but some are, so it is possible to have one who has seen your application. Happened to me.

Do you still get a chance to run through your different experiences, why you chose MN, etc . or is It straight to the behavioral questions?

Do you still get a chance to run through your different experiences, why you chose MN, etc . or is It straight to the behavioral questions?

You'll have to wait and see. :) (In theory, people who have gone through the interview are not really supposed to talk about it; keeps everyone on a level playing field.)

I think it's fair to say there is time to talk about things other than just the behavioral questions, however.

But, aside from as you utilize them to answer questions, interviewers are not evaluating your experiences or why you chose MN. The point of the interview is to evaluate specific behavioral traits. Your experience and essays and everything else are evaluated in an earlier stage of the process.

Last edited:
In state interviews start tomorrow!! Hope everyone is pumped and ready for the OOS to start as well! Probably won’t be able to sleep tonight but oh well! Good luck everyone!

Good luck to those of you interviewing this week! Relax, be yourself, everyone here wants to see you succeed :)

I'm not giving tours this week, but I like food all the time, so if anyone has downtime on campus (or off) and wants to grab chai/food/whatever, PM me.

I’m sorry if this is discussed elsewhere but I couldn’t find it anywhere on the threads — Minnesota doesn’t track, right?! I didn’t think they didn’t and couldn’t find anything about them doing so but I just wanted to double check!

From what I understood today, they do track and it begins third year!

I’m sorry if this is discussed elsewhere but I couldn’t find it anywhere on the threads — Minnesota doesn’t track, right?! I didn’t think they didn’t and couldn’t find anything about them doing so but I just wanted to double check!
Yes they track. But, as I mentioned in another thread, if that's a negative for you you just track mixed and it's essentially the same as not tracking

What are the current tracks, kcoughli? I thought I remember you saying it's changed since I finished.
Mixed/Interdisciplinary, Food&Fiber, Equine, Small, and Research. What changed is the research track used to combo with interdisciplinary and they used to let non-dual-degree students take it (grumble grumble).

Ok!! Thank you so much! My interview is bright and early before any of the info sessions so I just wanted to make sure I had my facts straight!