University of Minnesota C/O 2022 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Even if it’s 2 Years, better than 4. However I spoke to a few second years and they had no problem switching.
That's true! I guess my point was to not bank on switching after the first year, because there is a chance it won't happen

Members don't see this ad.

So I know each year is different, but does anyone have a rough estimate as to how far they move down the in-state waitlist? I'm number 16 and very concerned. However, I did hear that a student was accepted last year who was 32 on the in-state waitlist. Not sure if that was a fluke year or if I am in good standing for being accepted at a later date.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So I know each year is different, but does anyone have a rough estimate as to how far they move down the in-state waitlist? I'm number 16 and very concerned. However, I did hear that a student was accepted last year who was 32 on the in-state waitlist. Not sure if that was a fluke year or if I am in good standing for being accepted at a later date.
I have a friend who was #21 IS a couple of years ago and she got in.

Reactions: 1 users
Even if it’s 2 Years, better than 4. However I spoke to a few second years and they had no problem switching.

That’s so encouraging to hear! It’s definitely a game changer if we could get IS tuition after a year or two!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if the IS Wait-list has ever not gone past 3 people?

Yoo Minnesota OOS peeps!! Why did you choose Minnesota I'd love to hear why ;)

Got my acceptance call IS on Wednesday!!! I'm so excited to meet everyone in the fall! :biglove:

To those on the waitlist, I learned (from an admissions rep) some general characteristics about the UMN waitlist from being on it last year. Every year is of course a little different in terms of how many people get pulled from the list, but there are some fairly consistent trends in terms of when the list moves the most. There are also separate waitlists for IS and OOS. You should get an update on your ranking after the April 16th(?) deadline for people to accept/decline their seats and waitlist offers. One of your biggest ranking bumps will come at that time. The OOS waitlist, I think, has more movement because residents are more likely to want to hang on to their wait list positions for an IS school, and OOS applicants are more likely to have applied many places and got in elsewhere. There's another big jump between then and the end-of-semester update (mid-May), and a few more seats might open up over the following month. Once you get into July and August there is usually very little movement.

My personal experience last year: I moved the most before the first (April) update, then about the same amount over the next two months. Between late June and early August (when I got my last ranking update), I only bumped up 3 spots. So in hindsight, I'd say that my odds of getting in were pretty much set in stone by the end of June. I was #33 in February and #6 in early August. I'm not sure if that amount of movement is considered a conservative or a generous year in UMN waitlist history, but I'd wager on the latter. Seems to me like that's a huge bump considering the number of available seats. :thinking: But I could be wrong about that! I hope anyone on the list who's really hoping to get in makes it. Hopefully this has helped you get at least a little bit better idea of what to expect! I'm rooting for you :cat:<3

Does anyone know if the IS Wait-list has ever not gone past 3 people?
Check out my post above... I don't know for sure that it's ever not happened, but if you're at #3 right now I'd say your odds are REALLY good, at least just based on my experience being waitlisted last year. I went up 11 spots between February and April.

Oh man... if that's true I am so bummed, I was #33 last year on IS waitlist and didn't get in :arghh: but I got up to #6 by August. I would feel pretty good about your odds!

Check out my post above... I don't know for sure that it's ever not happened, but if you're at #3 right now I'd say your odds are REALLY good, at least just based on my experience being waitlisted last year. I went up 11 spots between February and April.
Did they alert you to a change before April?? Or did you ask?? Or did you not hear anything until the April date?

Officially accepted my seat! OOS

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did they alert you to a change before April?? Or did you ask?? Or did you not hear anything until the April date?
I didn't hear anything until the April date... but I would imagine, if some seats opened up before then, that the first people on the waitlist would get phone calls. I would think the college has an incentive to have all seats filled as quickly as possible so they wouldn't want to wait, but unfortunately I don't know for sure :shrug:

How easy is it to get hands on animal experience starting your first year? Can you volunteer in the hospital/are there jobs for students in the hospital or pharmacy?

I asked my tour guides but their answer made it seem like you don't really get to do much until your 3rd year and I wasn't sure if that was actually the case or maybe I didn't understand them correctly!

How easy is it to get hands on animal experience starting your first year? Can you volunteer in the hospital/are there jobs for students in the hospital or pharmacy?

I asked my tour guides but their answer made it seem like you don't really get to do much until your 3rd year and I wasn't sure if that was actually the case or maybe I didn't understand them correctly!

There are plenty of jobs in the hospital and in local clinics. I started my job as an overnight tech in the large animal hospital as a first year. You have hands on experience in class in first and second year too (more in first, but second year has days off for preceptorships or mini rotations so we get plenty of chances too).

How easy is it to get hands on animal experience starting your first year? Can you volunteer in the hospital/are there jobs for students in the hospital or pharmacy.

My tour guides basically said you can get as much as you want to get. There are a lot of opportunities through clubs to get hands on experience as well.

Dumb question...Does UMN send official acceptances letters via mail? I'd like to frame it for nerdy/nostalgic reasons!

Quick question for current students: On the factors when picking doc, it mentions the Wildlife Rehabilitation Center of Minnesota. I didn't hear anyone mention this while I was at my interview. What sort of learning opportunities are there in collaboration with the Center? I know the Minnesota zoo and Como zoo were mentioned, but it sounds like you are only able to explore exotic medicine during your rotations. Would the same apply here for wildlife med?

Waitlisted OOS, but I just declined my spot because I got accepted to my IS. Best of luck to y’all!
Do you mind if I ask what OOS waitlist spot you were? Running some numbers :)

Quick question for current students: On the factors when picking doc, it mentions the Wildlife Rehabilitation Center of Minnesota. I didn't hear anyone mention this while I was at my interview. What sort of learning opportunities are there in collaboration with the Center? I know the Minnesota zoo and Como zoo were mentioned, but it sounds like you are only able to explore exotic medicine during your rotations. Would the same apply here for wildlife med?

Soooo I'm not a wildlife/exotics person by any means, but I know there are a lot of volunteer opportunities with WRC doing treatments or necropsies, and we've had some lectures by one of the DVMs there. I don't know a ton about whether the school really works with them at all, but I know we get an email each year about them wanting volunteers.

There are exotics electives for those who want to take them, but I think in general, you get more exposure with exotics when you're on externships than anything.

Hey all, I've decided to turn down my OOS seat here at University of Minnesota and accept at another school. I wish you all the best and hope my seat goes to one of you on the waitlist. Best of luck this fall!

Anyone decide to decline their in-state acceptance?? I’m 16 on the in-state waitlist and feel like nobody turns down their in-state school...

4th year rotations you can get more involved with them, especially if you take the exotics electives. They also have summer fellowship thingies I believe and the ZEAW club has some connections there as well (Zoo, Exotics, Avian, & Wildlife). It's pretty close to school and it's pretty easy to get involved there I think. I wasn't so much but knew people who were.

I'm declining my OOS spot to go to my IS school. Good luck everyone! MN was really hard to say no to and seems like an awesome program!

Hey, I'm a third year involved with ZEAW (Zoo, Exotic, Avian, Wildlife Medicine Club). We have a pretty close relationship with the WRC - their vets often visit for club lunch n learns and we've had at least two wetlabs this year that their vets taught. Additonally, they have a necropsy student volunteer program that you can start your first year. There are only a few exotic electives that you can take 1st and 2nd year, but ZEAW Club works hard to bring other opportunities to students (parrot handling, turtle shell repair, avian bandaging and clinical skills, fish surgery, etc). It might be helpful to know that UMN doesn't have an Exotic Service though, so we don't see really see any exotic pet patients, but there are ocassionally zoo patients and there is the Raptor Center. Hope that helps!

Would it be super annoying to call the school and ask how much the waitlist has moved so far?

I'll be declining my OOS seat! Was really difficult to say no to MN because I liked them so much but ultimately wanted something closer to home. Hopefully that helps someone :)

Reactions: 2 users
Do you mind if I ask what OOS waitlist spot you were? Running some numbers :)
I've been keeping track of numbers too and so far I've got at least 6 people have turned down their seats so the waitlist is moving pretty well!! You'll deff get pulled off the list

Even if you do I am pretty sure they won't tell you. They will update us on April 16th, but I don't think any wait list movement will be given out until then.
I remember them saying you could ask for an update at any point in time. That being said, even if you were moved off already they won't extend an offer until after the deadline.

When is a reasonable time to start looking at housing? I've been looking into housing options to help make my decision and companies seem baffled that I'm not looking to move until late July early August o_O

When is a reasonable time to start looking at housing? I've been looking into housing options to help make my decision and companies seem baffled that I'm not looking to move until late July early August o_O

2 months prior to move-in, most places know what they'll have available (my complex requires 2 months' notice for move-out). I'm here for residency - I visited in April before I started (July), which was too early to see any units that were actually going to be available. I was able to visit a few places and see other units, but the one I moved into was technically sight unseen.

What my sister did when she moved to PA school was find a place and rent it out like a month earlier than she wanted to move in just so that she could secure the place she wanted. Obviously isn’t super ideal for some people, but it’s an idea I’m just gonna throw out there while creepin through threads

Congrats to everyone who is waitlisted and accepted!!
Would anyone mind sharing their stats for a Class of 2023 applicant?

Thanks!

Does anyone know that if we got a scholarship offer from the CVM that we would have heard by now/has anyone received anything? Or does that come later in our financial package that comes out in late July? Thanks!

Does anyone know that if we got a scholarship offer from the CVM that we would have heard by now/has anyone received anything? Or does that come later in our financial package that comes out in late July? Thanks!
As far as I'm aware there aren't much for scholarships at UMN, so I wouldn't be holding your breath for a scholarship. There are a few MVMA ones that you can apply for (including one for first years) but you'll find out more about those once you start.

As far as I'm aware there aren't much for scholarships at UMN, so I wouldn't be holding your breath for a scholarship. There are a few MVMA ones that you can apply for (including one for first years) but you'll find out more about those once you start.

Second this, and the scholarships that the school does have, particularly the first year ones, are usually given in the spring semester I think. There are more for second-fourth years.

Officially put my deposit down, I'm going to be a Golden Gopher!! :biglove:

Reactions: 4 users
A little late to this thread, but I finally decided to create an account instead of just stalking the thread lol. I was waitlisted OOS, but fairly close to the top and think my chances of getting pulled off are decent. I'm trying not to count my chickens before they hatch, but I'm also a planner and can't help it. Does anyone know how much time they give applicants who are pulled off of the waitlist to give the school a decision?

Congrats to everyone who is waitlisted and accepted!!
Would anyone mind sharing their stats for a Class of 2023 applicant?

Thanks!
Did anyone ever help you out? Are you looking for IS or OOS stats?

A little late to this thread, but I finally decided to create an account instead of just stalking the thread lol. I was waitlisted OOS, but fairly close to the top and think my chances of getting pulled off are decent. I'm trying not to count my chickens before they hatch, but I'm also a planner and can't help it. Does anyone know how much time they give applicants who are pulled off of the waitlist to give the school a decision?
I declined my OOS offer last week so you should be one spot closer! Hopefully you hear soon. It was a really tough decision, but I ultimately wanted to be closer to my family on the east coast (and warmer in the winters haha).

Usually after that national deadline, the 16th this year, the waitlist pulls start rolling in :)
Thank you! Do you happen to know, if pulled off, how much time the school gives me to give them a decision? I'm an indecisive person and I absolutely loved Minnesota, but was also accepted to a school closer to home (and went ahead and accepted since I won't know until after the 16th if UMN is even an option). So my thing is if UMN is an option, how much time will I have to make a decision (aka compare apartments, make a comparisons list between the school, curriculum, etc. You know, the basics ;))