University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
This is my first choice DO school. Could anyone who is currently attending give me a run down of what Biddeford is like, how they like the school and any other general knowledge that you feel we should know?

Reactions: 1 users
Applying here. Have a friend going here as well, she really likes it and the surrounding area.

Last edited:
Anyone get secondary invites yet? Verified long time ago.

Thanks for relieving my anxiety. I'll start working from last years prompts.

Good luck everyone!

Good luck guys! I'm starting here this fall and really excited :)
Applied a bit late (mid-fall) and interviewed January, then got accepted 2 weeks after that. From what I heard, their initial selection process is very extensive, so getting an II means you've got a big shot of getting in, or at least a spot in their ASA list, which guarantees a spot for the next year's class! Awesome, huh?

Reactions: 1 user
"so getting an II means you've got a big shot of getting in" - You mean getting a secondary right? So they take a while to send out secondaries, but if you do get one, that means you have a decent chance for interview?

"so getting an II means you've got a big shot of getting in" - You mean getting a secondary right? So they take a while to send out secondaries, but if you do get one, that means you have a decent chance for interview?

II usually means interview invite not secondary

Reactions: 1 user
I just want a secondary already. Anyone know when they were sent out last year?

How much of a long shot is it if you are not from the New England area (FL) and have average MCAT but GPA of 3.8-3.9? Love the state of Maine but worried being from Florida will take a big hit against me...

Members don't see this ad :)
II usually means interview invite not secondary

Sorry, I acutally did mean getting an Interview Invite... I realize now that it's way too early for that. Good luck anyway guys!

How much of a long shot is it if you are not from the New England area (FL) and have average MCAT but GPA of 3.8-3.9? Love the state of Maine but worried being from Florida will take a big hit against me...

All I can say is that most of the people who get admitted come from New England, and also from other northeastern states like NY. Not to say you don't have a shot, just be aware of this. It might be a long shot...

Sorry, I acutally did mean getting an Interview Invite... I realize now that it's way too early for that. Good luck anyway guys!

All I can say is that most of the people who get admitted come from New England, and also from other northeastern states like NY. Not to say you don't have a shot, just be aware of this. It might be a long shot...

My friend from Michigan got in. No ties to the area

My friend from Michigan got in. No ties to the area

That's awesome! I was just reiterating a fact that from what I know, most students who attend are from the north east. A future classmate I've met is even from California! It's not impossible.

I didn't realize this school had such a strong regional bias. I'm from MD; I hope I still have a shot.

The DO I shadow went here, and he's from the SF Bay Area, but if you look at the website, it says something like 70% of people are from New England.

Preliminary review email today

Hi everyone, I just went to the Open house at UNECOM yesterday and spoke with admissions so I figured it'd be helpful to pass along the info! They said they just received the first batch of applications from AACOMAS, which was about 700 applications, and they will be screening them for GPA 2.8/MCAT 18. The secondaries will be sent out within a month, but could be as early as next week :)

Reactions: 3 users
Secondary Received. What's the deal with listing all schools (allo and osteo) that you applied to lol

Reactions: 2 users
Secondary Received. What's the deal with listing all schools (allo and osteo) that you applied to lol
That just makes me uncomfortable....

But can you please post the other prompts.

That just makes me uncomfortable....

But can you please post the other prompts.

Sure!

1) Describe your particular interest in attending UNECOM and any contact you have had with UNECOM students, alumni, faculty or clinicians, admissions counselors, student affairs staff, etc. How did these interactions influence your decision to apply?

2) Please explain any gaps in education or employment. Indicate any changes or additions in your education or employment, experiences, research, etc. since submitting your AACOMAS

3) Pick an example of a challenge/difficulty you have encountered that is of a personal, cultural, extra-curricular, or academic nature. What insight have you gained from this event? How will it influence your time at UNECOM and your practice of medicine?

4) Many people tell us their idealized reasons for becoming a physician. In your own words, share the experiences you have had that led you to this chosen career path

In the DO "MSAR" it says that UNECOM has an average of 20 something thousand in grants. Is this per year??
The average grants probably takes into account those granted to Maine students, that have obtained primary care scholarships, and those receiving HPSP scholarships. I had strong stats and received no grants as an incoming first year.
The DO I shadow went here, and he's from the SF Bay Area, but if you look at the website, it says something like 70% of people are from New England.
This is largely a result of self-selection. They have a strong preference for Maine students, but beyond that anyone has about equal chances so long as they have a good reason for wanting to be in Maine.

Last edited:
The average grants probably takes into account those granted to Maine students, gotten primary care scholarships, and those receiving HPSP scholarships. I had strong stats and received no grants as an incoming first year.

This is largely a result of self-selection. They have a strong preference for Maine students, but beyond that anyone has about equal chances so long as they have a good reason for wanting to be in Maine.
Ugh great.

I agree. According to their website, it seems like their classes are comprised of 1)Maine 2) Tri-State 3) Other

Got the secondary, will have it done by tonight prolly

Submitted. It's funny you have to do the payment by phone :confused:

Update: Paid by phone. Said it could take a week to process the payment. This school seems to do things slow and steady.

Last edited:
does anyone know if this school waits for future MCAT scores or reviews current scores before sending secondaries out?

Update: Paid by phone. Said it could take a week to process the payment. This school seems to do things slow and steady.
its Maine.......hahaha!

Yeah, I can tell. They still haven't sent me a secondary.

Hey everyone quick question. Does anyone know what they do with the addresses you give for the people you have letters from? I just want to make sure they don't like send something asking for letters when I already have them.

Hi everyone, can someone clarify this essay question on the secondary?

2) Please explain any gaps in education or employment. Indicate any changes or additions in your education or employment, experiences, research, etc. since submitting your AACOMAS

D
oes this refer to my years between undergrade and entering DO school? Or does it just mean if I dropped out of school for a year then continued?

Thankies!

I just cant figure out why I haven't received a secondary. My stats are quite a bit above average and I was verified within the first few days.

D
oes this refer to my years between undergrade and entering DO school? Or does it just mean if I dropped out of school for a year then continued?

Thankies!

The former.

Thanks for the response. Does anyone else have input just so that I can be more reassured?
I take it to mean "if you've ever been out of school and out of work for an extended period of time, please explain".

Yeah, I can tell. They still haven't sent me a secondary.
I got an email the day after I was verified saying I was under review, and that was right around 2 weeks ago and I haven't heard a peep yet. Keep the fingers crossed, its still very early. A post bacc friend of mine interviewed here last cycle in April and received an outright acceptance so they seem to interview pretty late into the cycle.

D

Thankies!
Explain any reasonably long periods during which you were neither employed nor in school. If you did nothing during a year, they want to know why. If you're doing one or the other, it's pretty obvious that the reason you aren't in school is you were working or vice versa. If you have any particularly unique reason for, say, going back to work in the middle of a bachelor's degree and finishing it a couple years later, that would be an interesting gap and they'd want to know why. Just use common sense, really. If you were looking at your application, would anything stand out as a gap?

I take it to mean "if you've ever been out of school and out of work for an extended period of time, please explain".

I got an email the day after I was verified saying I was under review, and that was right around 2 weeks ago and I haven't heard a peep yet. Keep the fingers crossed, its still very early. A post bacc friend of mine interviewed here last cycle in April and received an outright acceptance so they seem to interview pretty late into the cycle.
They only interview a handful of people in a given week- there's some schools that interview more students in a day than UNE does in a month. They very, very carefully screen before offering an interview, so if you get an interview, the spot truly is yours to lose. This does result in them interviewing very late in the cycle, so even late apps and people that haven't heard from them in a while stand a pretty good chance.