2021-2022 University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNECOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone please help me with these questions (for current UNE COM students)
1) Are classes all mandatory? Do they run from morning till evening?
2) How much of learning is teamwork-based, traditional ppt lecture-style, and case-based/problem-based learning? What type of learning do you find most useful?
3) Are accommodations offered?
4) When do most students start research?
5) Are we allowed one year off (graduate in 5 years) to research more if needed?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone please help me with these questions (for current UNE COM students)
1) Are classes all mandatory? Do they run from morning till evening?
2) How much of learning is teamwork-based, traditional ppt lecture-style, and case-based/problem-based learning? What type of learning do you find most useful?
3) Are accommodations offered?
4) When do most students start research?
5) Are we allowed one year off (graduate in 5 years) to research more if needed?
1) No, pretty much none of the lectures are. We have lectures M 2-5p, W 1-5p, and F 8a-12p. Labs (donor, OMM, clinical skills) and CBL are mandatory and some other Friday stuff is but that is changing for you guys next year.
2) The curriculum is integrated so it’s a mix of everything. Lots of teamwork in labs, lectures are mostly traditional, CBL is obviously case-based learning. I think a mix is good!
3) Yes, at least for exams you can get accommodations to take them in a separate room and there’s obviously accommodations if you’re uncomfortable having OMM techniques performed or removing any clothing (like being in a sports bra).
4) You technically can’t start research until you’re 2nd semester and most students do research over summer break but you absolutely need to start looking for research your 1st semester.
5) Probably but I’m not 100% sure.

1) No, pretty much none of the lectures are. We have lectures M 2-5p, W 1-5p, and F 8a-12p. Labs (donor, OMM, clinical skills) and CBL are mandatory and some other Friday stuff is but that is changing for you guys next year.
2) The curriculum is integrated so it’s a mix of everything. Lots of teamwork in labs, lectures are mostly traditional, CBL is obviously case-based learning. I think a mix is good!
3) Yes, at least for exams you can get accommodations to take them in a separate room and there’s obviously accommodations if you’re uncomfortable having OMM techniques performed or removing any clothing (like being in a sports bra).
4) You technically can’t start research until you’re 2nd semester and most students do research over summer break but you absolutely need to start looking for research your 1st semester.
5) Probably but I’m not 100% sure.
Thank you!

For current M3's and M4's, or anyone else that knows lol, how do you deal with housing with clinicals being all over the northeast? Does UNECOM provide housing or do you have to find your own?

congrats to everyone accepted and sending my best to those still waiting to hear back from this school or another school! I'm a current OMS-I and happy to answer any questions anyone may have. we're in the middle of exam week but will have a lot of free time once exams end on Friday so ask away :)

Reactions: 1 user
congrats to everyone accepted and sending my best to those still waiting to hear back from this school or another school! I'm a current OMS-I and happy to answer any questions anyone may have. we're in the middle of exam week but will have a lot of free time once exams end on Friday so ask away :)
What is the academic calendar like? When do you start and end each school year? What do you get for breaks? Thanks! Good luck on your exams!

What are your favorite things about UNECOM and least favorite things? What do you wish you knew about UNECOM before you started?

Any advice for living in Biddeford?

Thanks a lot!

I’m dealing with my vaccinations and immunization titers now and I’m surprised they didn’t ask for a drug test too. Does anyone know when/if that is required?

What is the academic calendar like? When do you start and end each school year? What do you get for breaks? Thanks! Good luck on your exams!
I see there's another OMS-I lurking on SDN instead of studying (lol hi, same).
We start classes July 1 (your orientation should be the last week of June), go until about the second-ish week of December, break for Christmas until the first week of January, have spring break this year the week of March 7th, and end classes around the first-ish week of May.
I say -ish because you have finals (what we're doing now) at the end of each block, and as long as you don't have to retest the week after finals is pretty low key/we don't really have lectures, so there's sort of a built in "break" after the end of each block! Hope this helps :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Sigh, nothing but silence here with 3.7/501 stats. Should I email them with a letter of intent? Not sure if they are still interviewing or not.

Really? They mention it a bunch in the matriculation paperwork. I think it’s a foolish requirement but I was worried I missed something.

I haven't heard anything since submitting my secondary in July.... anyone in the same boat? (Low MCAT score here...)

Hi everyone, would applying here with a 496 MCAT score be alright?

Hi everyone, would applying here with a 496 MCAT score be alright?
probably not. Their average is 504 and they reject a lot of people with high 50X. So unless you have a high GPA and a lot of clinical experience I wouldn’t recommend

Could any current students lurking the thread talk about housing options in the area? How far do students usually live from campus? Also is there an student Facebook page/ google doc with listings?

Reactions: 2 users
Can anyone weigh in on what occurs at the Osteoblast events and whether they’re worth attending? There are 3 or 4 scheduled before orientation. It’s unclear what they actually entail.

Two unrelated questions:
1. Is tuition for year 3 and 4 the same as tuition for year 1 and 2?
2. How many people are trying to go specialty via UNE? I'd like to hear stories from current students on the brutal nature of matching into specialty residencies out of UNE.

Can anyone weigh in on what occurs at the Osteoblast events and whether they’re worth attending? There are 3 or 4 scheduled before orientation. It’s unclear what they actually entail.
I highly recommend attending one of the (monthly) zoom webinars that occur between now and matriculation. They go over the details of the Osteoblast events. Lots of activities from tours of campus (including donor lab) to a little taste of what didactic class will be like.

I highly recommend attending one of the (monthly) zoom webinars that occur between now and matriculation. They go over the details of the Osteoblast events. Lots of activities from tours of campus (including donor lab) to a little taste of what didactic class will be like.
Sounds like it’s good for people who haven’t decided on a school yet, but maybe not for people who have already seen the campus?

Sounds like it’s good for people who haven’t decided on a school yet, but maybe not for people who have already seen the campus?
If you are interested in or are for sure attending UNECOM, you should absolutely be attending the Osteoblast events. There’s actually not a tour planned for any of the 3 events prior to orientation. You’ll get lots of info on pre-clerkship years, clerkship years, and how to be successful.

Could any current students lurking the thread talk about housing options in the area? How far do students usually live from campus? Also is there an student Facebook page/ google doc with listings?
I’ve heard that there’s a lot of stress about housing among incoming students. You’ll all find somewhere to live! Trust me. We all did and the year before all did. Biddeford is full of apartments and there will be plenty of options. There is a Facebook page for accepted students linked back a couple of pages and there would be a good place to ask for the link to housing because I know one exists somewhere. In terms of where students live, majority are within 10 minutes of campus. Some students live in Portland but I highly recommend being as close to campus as possible as you are likely going to be on campus every weekday and it’s not worth wasting time driving.

Two unrelated questions:
1. Is tuition for year 3 and 4 the same as tuition for year 1 and 2?
2. How many people are trying to go specialty via UNE? I'd like to hear stories from current students on the brutal nature of matching into specialty residencies out of UNE.
1. I’m sure it is
2. Majority are probably interested in primary care but there’s definitely a good chunk interested in other specialties. Lots of clubs for that. And you will get yourself into a competitive specialty, not UNE.

are they still sending out interviews? I know it’s late but I really love this school.

Any OMSI or OMSII here free for me to ask a couple of questions about UNECOM? I was recently accepted (and beyond excited) and had a couple of questions.

Current first year here! Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted 😌 If anyone moving to Biddeford is looking for a roommate and loves dogs, message me! I am looking for a new place for second year with my two dogs and it’ll be cheaper to share a place.

Got an II this morning! 502, 3.7 cumulative

Can any current students comment on the quality of UNECOM's health insurance?

WL after my interview on 02/24. Thought the interview went really well, but idk if they were just interviewing for their WL spots? Also didn’t expect the decision to come that quick

What are your favorite things about UNECOM and least favorite things? What do you wish you knew about UNECOM before you started?

Any advice for living in Biddeford?

Thanks a lot!
sorry for the late response lol! went off the grid during spring break. My fav thing about UNECOM is definitely the people. I think the adcoms do a great job of selecting ppl who will get along/vibe well together. I've met some amazing people so far and can honestly say I've made many life-long friends. Also, the close proximity to the beach is HUGE for me. I've loved going there for runs/to destress/people watch. I didn't realize how important the geographical location of the school would be to help you maintain your sanity/sense of humanity. BIddeford is also a short drive to Portland and ~1.5 hours away from Boston which is super convenient (in case you get bored of Biddo and want to venture into the city). In terms of least favorite things, the emphasis on OMM can get a bit much and the admin is disorganized, but I think you'd find that issue with many schools.

In terms of advice for living in Biddeford - try to find a place as close to the school as possible. There will be a few days where you'll be at school till late preparing for a test/exam and it's convenient living close to the school. I think there's an excel sheet that all accepted students will receive/have received with list of places that are becoming vacant for the school year. I'd suggest checking that out ASAP since the longer you wait, the more difficult it will be to find affordable housing that's close to the school. Also, try to avoid renting a house that's on a hilly street (this is oddly specific but I currently live in a place that's on a hilly street and there are plenty of streets similar to this one. it's a pain getting your car carefully off the street early in the AM before the streets have been plowed. Snowstorms here are no joke (unless you;re from like Minnesotta in which case you're just chilling) so try your best to find a house/parking in a flat-ish area.

Hope this helps a bit and let me know if you have any other questions!