University of South Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hopefully the waitlist continues to move like this and fast!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at USF yesterday, and we were told that it was the last day of interviews.

Cocoabutter, I hope that all went well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by SeeGulz
BTW, if you do attend, do you think you will do the pre-matriculation program?

I'm not sure yet, I think its a good idea, but at the same time, I want to relax over the summer....i guess it would make life easier during med school and on top of that they pay for the stuff you need, so you own't have to buy it........would you do it?.........

nero

If I had the opportunity, I think I would do it. As much as I too would want the summer to relax, it just seems like the best way you could start med school ... an intro to the coursework, the books paid for, and $1500 (I think that is the amount?). I interviewed with the guy who teaches anatomy, and I think I recall him saying that about 50% fail anatomy. It couldn't hurt going into anatomy with an edge.

On the other hand, aside from the summer after the first year, this might be the last chance that you really get to spend some quality time with family and friends for a while. Most of my mine live out of state so it really isn't much of a factor to me.

Having interviewed at USF some weeks ago, I thought I would share my thoughts about the school. I was actually disappointed by the school after hearing some good things about USF here on SDN. I've had the chance to interview at ranked schools like BU, Emory, GW, Yale, University of Miami, University of Florida, and Univesity of Cincinnati. All of these absolutely blew me away compared to USF.

USF is very lacking in quality of facilities for its students and the quality of Tampa General Hospital is not anywhere near the top 100 hospitals in the nation. The transplant facility is of great quality, but how much exposure and teaching do students get in that hospital? I would also have to say that the students at USF did not have too great of an opinion of some of the professors that teach there, unlike some of the other schools that I have been at that have facutly members from top institutions that get high praise for their lecturing abilities. If you look at the faculty profiles of those at USF, you'll find that many of them do not have impressive backgrounds at all.

I think that someone mentioned that USF is on their way to becoming ranked. I really beg to differ because I really think they have a long way to go before that happens. USF might be on the rise, but other schools are already above them and rising at a much faster rate. To each his own I guess.....

SeeGulz,

Thanks for the support. I think that everything went okay. My interviews were extremely relaxed and I felt comfortable. But I don't know what to think, because you never can tell! But I will find out next Thursday.

Originally posted by FloridaGuy100
Having interviewed at USF some weeks ago, I thought I would share my thoughts about the school. I was actually disappointed by the school after hearing some good things about USF here on SDN. I've had the chance to interview at ranked schools like BU, Emory, GW, Yale, University of Miami, University of Florida, and Univesity of Cincinnati. All of these absolutely blew me away compared to USF.

USF is very lacking in quality of facilities for its students and the quality of Tampa General Hospital is not anywhere near the top 100 hospitals in the nation. The transplant facility is of great quality, but how much exposure and teaching do students get in that hospital? I would also have to say that the students at USF did not have too great of an opinion of some of the professors that teach there, unlike some of the other schools that I have been at that have facutly members from top institutions that get high praise for their lecturing abilities. If you look at the faculty profiles of those at USF, you'll find that many of them do not have impressive backgrounds at all.

I think that someone mentioned that USF is on their way to becoming ranked. I really beg to differ because I really think they have a long way to go before that happens. USF might be on the rise, but other schools are already above them and rising at a much faster rate. To each his own I guess.....

I think that if I read this 2 weeks ago, I might have totally disagreed with everything you wrote, but after coming back from an interview from Cincy, I would agree with what you said about the difference between USF and a more nationally recognized medical school. I was very impressed by Cincy and it is now my top choice. The faculty members at Cincy are rather young for a medical school and the students have high praise for them because they are more in touch with what a medical student has to go through today. I sat in on a Gross lecture, and the professor was probably the best lecturer I ever heard. The facilities at Cincy were amazing and it has much to do with the huge amounts of money they are given.

A friend of mine that is currently a student at USF really has had no complaints about the lectures there but said the quality of the lectures in the first semester are lacking compared to the second semester. But my friend is happy there, and I would be happy there too, but if I were lucky enough to get into Cincy, I would not pass up on that opportunity.

Now, if I could only just get a damn acceptance already!!

I liked Cincy the school, but didn't like the city at all, rather depressing............maybe its cause when i went it snowed the night before my interview and they had like 6 inches or on interivew day..........seemed dark and from what i understand, lots of run down areas...........but then again, that's my opinion.......i was most impressed by baylor..............

nero

I've heard nothing yet, I was going to give Mr. Larkin a call after Wednesday, which will be the last admissions committee meeting for the year. By then he should have a finalized waitlist and will be able to tell me something more solid regarding my status. Hopefully my position has not changed much and I'm still high up there somewhere.

Hope you get some good news cocoabutter! I guess you should be getting a call from Mr. Larkin on Thursday about the adcom decision. Let us know what he tells you.

Hey guys, any word from USF lately? I've tried getting in contact with Mr. Larkin but I have had no success. I e-mailed him about 13 days ago and I still have not gotten a reply. I've also tried calling him but his voicemail immediately answers the phone and I can't leave him a message because its tough for him to get back to me while I'm working. I'm off on Thursday so I'll be more aggresive with the phone calls (I hate my job). So, I was just wondering if any of you have heard from Larkin lately.

BTW, cocoabutter, what did you hear regarding the adcom decision?

I haven't heard anything myself, but I also haven't tried to contact Mr. Larkin lately. I will probably give it a shot in a week or two. Any good news from other schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
SolidGold,

thanks for your support, but I got the dreaded waitlist...so we will see!

Cocoabutter,

Remember, we were all interviewing for the waitlist after a certain point ... I don't think any outright acceptances were being granted for some time. It all depends on where you are placed on the waitlist. Call Mr. Larkin and ask him where you stand. He is very forthcoming about it.

Good Luck!

Originally posted by SolidGold
Hey guys, any word from USF lately? I've tried getting in contact with Mr. Larkin but I have had no success. I e-mailed him about 13 days ago and I still have not gotten a reply. I've also tried calling him but his voicemail immediately answers the phone and I can't leave him a message because its tough for him to get back to me while I'm working. I'm off on Thursday so I'll be more aggresive with the phone calls (I hate my job). So, I was just wondering if any of you have heard from Larkin lately.

BTW, cocoabutter, what did you hear regarding the adcom decision?

SolidGold,

Have you heard anything recently? I live in the gray area of the waitlist (whatever that means in real people terms). I think I am hovering right about a shot of 50/50 yes/no. I am wondering if I won't find out well into the summer if I do get in.

Anyone know how much the waitlist moves after a certain point, say June/July when most people have decided?

I spoke to Larkin a couple of weeks ago and he told me that I'm now in the gray area too. Last year, the "gray area" was something like 40-70 on the waitlist of 120 people. Last year 71 people were taken off the waitlist and 60 something was the average before that. I think there is a new problem us waitlistees have to face regarding USF. Miami wants to have 40 people in their new class from out of state. That could mean less movement on the USF waitlist starting this year. USF waitlist movement accelerates in late April and really gets going mid-May to mid-June. After that, there are a few spots that open up leading up to orientation in early August.

Larkin told me to call him again late April to early May to see how things have shaped up between now and then.

I spoke to Larkin a couple of weeks ago and he told me that I'm now in the gray area too. Last year, the "gray area" was something like 40-70 on the waitlist of 120 people. Last year 71 people were taken off the waitlist and 60 something was the average before that. I think there is a new problem us waitlistees have to face regarding USF. Miami wants to have 40 people in their new class from out of state. That could mean less movement on the USF waitlist starting this year. USF waitlist movement accelerates in late April and really gets going mid-May to mid-June. After that, there are a few spots that open up leading up to orientation in early August.

Larkin told me to call him again late April to early May to see how things have shaped up between now and then.

Thanks for the update. I am also on Miami's waitlist so I am curious how things will shape up in the near future. I don't know (if the time comes) if I will have a problem choosing between Jeff and Miami. I think that answer is pretty clear cut for me, but I would like to see what happens before I withdrawl my application. Financial aid is a big thing right now for me.

40 people from out of state at Miami could definitely kill movement on the waitlist at USF. All of those that waited for Miami holding a USF have now dropped out of the waiting game for us.... so I am keeping my fingers crossed for you and everyone else out there in gray land.

Keep me updated on what happens. I want to know when you get your acceptance!!! :)

I would just try to hang in there. The waitlist does tend to move quicker in june and july once people make their final decisions. However you never know when you can be accepted. A guy in my class was accepted the day before class started. So you never know. Hang tight and good luck.

When I spoke with Mr. Larkin, he told me that I was near the spot right about where they stopped last year. He did not say whether I was right above or right below. But, like everyone has been saying, he's very honest and straightforward. I don't know what will happen...but if I get an acceptance somewhere else, I definitely won't be holding out for USF. Good Luck to us all!

What are the odds that all of us are in the exact spot where they stopped last year?

He did not say that exact thing to me. All he said was that I was in the gray area and to call him later to get updates.

Originally posted by JScrusader
What are the odds that all of us are in the exact spot where they stopped last year?

I'd say pretty good, within a 10 person range either way on the waitlist. I know that is broad, but I have a feeling he has to be Very general when talking about positions relative to giving false hope to someone.

Originally posted by Allygator89
I have a feeling he has to be Very general when talking about positions relative to giving false hope to someone.

Thats the impression I got from the tone of his voice when I spoke to him. It seemed that he could not give a solid answer, which is totally understandable since it is the waitlist after all. All I can say is that most people last year who was told they were in the "gray area" last year ended up getting in. But there are two things to consider. First, USF took 71 people off the list last year which is higher than usual. Second, Miami accepting 40 people from out of state might prevent USF's waitlist from moving as usual. Damn Miami (my alma mater) has found another way to screw me.:mad:

Hey guys...

I e-mailed Mr. Larkin yesterday and he got back to me within about 4 hours. He basically said that the waitlist is moving some, but he would have a better idea at the end of this month how that will effect my chances for getting a spot. He expects the most movement in mid-June. My position is in the so-called gray area as well, so we will see.

I got an update recently and I thought I would share it here. I was basically told that the majority of the movement starts now and continues through mid-June. That seems to be the case for most years, including last year when they went 71 deep into the list. REL leaned on cautious optimism regarding my own status.

Anyone else hear anything recently?

Anyone hear from USF lately? Is their waitlist moving, and how far have they gotten?

The waitlist from what I hear is moving, by how much....I don't know.

Someone I know just got in off the waitlist this week and he had interviewed there pretty late. I know ppl last year who got in there as late as july.

Anyone know when USF's orientation begins this year?

Orientation is probably the beginning of the second week of August. I don't care if I have to wait until late July to hear something from USF because the move out there should not be so bad from Miami and getting a place to stay should not take too long either.

Hey guys, I thought I would share what I was told by Mr. Larkin today. He called me up today while I was at work and told me that things on the waitlist are moving fairly quickly (it kind of sounded like the list has moved faster than he thought it would by the tone of his voice). He gave me some positive comments regarding my own status, but not an acceptance yet. So it looks like USF's waitlist is moving along quite nicely....lets hope it continues.

thanks for the update, SolidGold!

For all of you who end up getting in, congratulations!!!!!

USF is a wonderful school.:clap: :clap:

Drat. No call. I must be in the really fuzzy zone.

Hey, guys. I also got a call from Mr. Larkin and he basically told me the same thing that he told SolidGold. He said that the waitlist was moving much faster than expected, and that my position had moved up significantly. If it continues in the pattern that it is going now, then there is a pretty good chance (better than before) that I will be able to get in. Like SolidGold said, there was cautious optimism in his voice regarding my chances. I am not holding my breath, but it was definitely a pleasant surprise to get that call. If I get in, that would be an even better surprise.

Has anyone gotten off the list lately or heard of anyone getting off? I read back through this thread and people that were high up on the list haven't posted about what happened with them. Anyone know anything?

Thats a good point cocoabutter. If the list is moving fast, that means that others here like Blitzkrieg or JScrusader who were ranked high should have heard something by now. If you guys are reading this, have you heard from Mr. Larkin yet?

The only person I heard about is shadowboxer who got off the waitlist on 5/15.

Did he tell you guys your position on the waitlist?

No, Mr. Larkin did not give any specifics, only that my name was coming up on the list.

Hey guys,

he told me i should hear within 2 weeks. I am hoping so.

JScrusader, when did you talk to Mr. Larkin?

Two weeks! Cool.. You gonna accept?

I got the call from Mr. Larkin this morning. I'm set to go to USF!!!

Congrats!!!!! I am so happy for you! Hopefully I get that call soon!

i just got the call, now the decision process begins

I got the call from Mr. Larkin this morning. I'm set to go to USF!!!

Congratulations SolidGold and JScrusader!!! :clap: Good Luck at USF! :)

Congrats, SolidGold!

Now I understand your PM! I have been at work and haven't had time to check SDN!!

What a great day!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

also....Congrats to JCrusader!!!

:clap: :clap:

Tampa is awesome!!!!! Woohoo USF:clap: :clap: :clap:

Dont 4-get to hit Ybor!

Congrats guys! I am happy for you. Let me know what you guys decide because I am still waiting and USF is my first choice! :)