UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was also accepted. GPA about 3.55 and sGPA around 3.3, MCAT at 490. I submitted very early (around December I think), but it wasn't completed until March because of my MCAT

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, I just got accepted!! So I wanted to post on here to ask a few things and get as much information as I can to be confident in my choice with wanting to come here. If any current student in the program, or someone who has graduated from it can answer the following, I'd really appreciate it:

1) Is the program, curriculum, and opportunities at the school worth it to getting into medical school?
2) In what ways do they support you with applying to medical schools? (For example, I know they have an MCAT prep sort of course, but how does that play out with the other summer classes - did you feel like you had the right time to prepare for the MCAT?)
3) Are you guaranteed any sort of interview or place at TCOM or other schools?
4) Besides just growing academically, what other ways have you grown through this experience?
5) What is your best piece of advice to give to the incoming class, or at least something you wish you knew going in?

Thank you in advance for the help.

Reactions: 1 users
Nope! You only pay for what you enroll in. Intro biochem is 100% opt-in, and MCAT prep is required for MCATs < 508 (unless they change the cutoff this year - they'll let you know.) but if you did better than that and want to take it anyway you can opt-in. I personally won't be surprised if the minimum MCAT to opt out of MCAT prep is changed this year, because the median matriculant MCAT in Texas jumped this past cycle.

Do you have any recommendations for apartments around campus that's safe?

Members don't see this ad :)

One of my sorority sisters is finishing up the last semester in the program and told me that once you're accepted and gain access to the facebook group, they usually have some sort of google doc/excel with past student's advice and sometimes they tell you where they've lived and if they recommend it or not!

I was also accepted. GPA about 3.55 and sGPA around 3.3, MCAT at 490. I submitted very early (around December I think), but it wasn't completed until March because of my MCAT
I have about the same stats, except 485. Definitely hoping I make it for next round of acceptances.

Yeah that spreadsheet is handy. I live in The Lofts at West 7th, which is pretty standard student/young professional housing. Not gross but not fancy either. They do have a really solid gym for an apartment. That complex and Bell Lancaster probably house more than half of us, lol. They're both about a 3-4 minute drive to campus and don't have any glaring security issues that I know of. My only gripe has been really prolonged construction noise right outside my window, but that whole area is being developed, so whatcha gonna do, ya know?

Welp, got rejected out the ass. However, I got into Tech program ( funny huh?) Anyways, Good luck to all. Lets all redeem ourselves. Lol

Reactions: 2 users
Hey, I just got accepted!! So I wanted to post on here to ask a few things and get as much information as I can to be confident in my choice with wanting to come here. If any current student in the program, or someone who has graduated from it can answer the following, I'd really appreciate it:

1) Is the program, curriculum, and opportunities at the school worth it to getting into medical school?
2) In what ways do they support you with applying to medical schools? (For example, I know they have an MCAT prep sort of course, but how does that play out with the other summer classes - did you feel like you had the right time to prepare for the MCAT?)
3) Are you guaranteed any sort of interview or place at TCOM or other schools?
4) Besides just growing academically, what other ways have you grown through this experience?
5) What is your best piece of advice to give to the incoming class, or at least something you wish you knew going in?

Thank you in advance for the help.

Hello! I graduated medsci in 2018 and am finishing up my first year at TCOM.

1) Definitely worth it. You basically get to do 60-70% of first year of med school through MedSci, so you get to get your feet wet and show off to adcoms that you can cut it in difficult graduate level courses. I also logged hundreds of volunteer and shadowing hours through campus-wide activities by being a student of UNTHSC.
2) The faculty can also serve as advisors for medical school. They've been successfully getting students into professional school for many years and they are very in tune with what schools want and thus can provide excellent advising and letters of recommendation.
3) No guarantee for any interviews, but a large medsci cohort tends to end up at TCOM every year. People from my class ended up at all the schools in Texas and several out of state though! Around ~80% of my class got into medschool either during our medsci year or the following year.
4) Medsci is a very difficult and rigorous program. You either sink or swim and you learn a lot about yourself along the way. After finishing medsci, I felt so much more capable of being successful in med school and you kind of prove to yourself that you have the guts to make it. Conversely, some people find out that this is definitely not the life for them. Either way, it gives you a taste of what life is like in med school, although it is definitely a much lighter version of what you experience in MS1.
5) Biggest piece of advice is to take the opportunity seriously and do not expect good grades to be handed to you just because youre here paying tuition trying to get an acceptance. It's a life raft - you either sink or swim. If you put in the work, it will go well for you. Biggest piece of advice: do NOT argue for points, it only makes things worse.

Can't even guess when I'm going to hear back :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Welp, got rejected out the ass. However, I got into Tech program ( funny huh?) Anyways, Good luck to all. Lets all redeem ourselves. Lol
Sorry, I don't know if this is insensitive of me to ask, but would you mind sharing when you heard back from them? I'm going nuts over here! Also, best of luck at Texas Tech I am very happy for you!

Hello everyone. I've been really really fortunate as to getting acceptances to all the post bac programs I applied too (6- i know, i know, I freaked out thinking I wouldn't get in anywhere). I've withdrew my application to most of them early on. However now Im struggling to choose between TCOM Med Sci and KCUMB COB. I would really appreciate some honest advice. If you were in my position what would you? I posed some data I got directly from the admissions people from both schools. I am a Texas resident. I've verified that If i go out of state, I can still utilize the in state residency for texas since Ive lived here for so long. And if anyone knows if there is an advantage/disadvantage to gaining a biomedical sciences degree vs medical sciences please let me know. Unfortunately I've got no one to talk too about this, and none of my family/friends are physicians. So im tearing my hair out here since I don't know what to do.

KCUMB (biomedical science degree)
120 students get in (Class size)
Maintain 3.5 GPA, and minimum MCAT 501 automatic interview with KCUMB medical school.
about 50-70 students get interviews in a class every year.
around 40% of those get into the DO program
website says 79% of the class goes onto medical school, 12% employment, 1% dental school
a map of where biomedical sciences students go to medical school is available. about 18-19 states are represented, TX is included.
Kaplan Course offered for MCAT prep
Class starts August.
tutoring available.
KCUMB medical school class stats: (2017-2018)
COMLEX-USA Level 1
School Mean: 586.73
National Mean:557.81
School Pass Rate: 98.8%
National Pass Rate: 96.0%
Founded in 1916, College of Osteopathic Medicine is the largest medical school in Missouri and one of the five original schools of osteopathic medicine.
100% residency match rates for past 4 years.

TCOM (medical sciences)
Named as one of the nation’s top medical schools for primary care by U.S. News & World Report, TCOM is a leader in training physicians skilled in comprehensive primary care and rural medicine.
Approximately 82 percent of these were successful in gaining admission into medical, dental, or physician assistant schools in the State of Texas and across the United States. there are no stats available what percentage out of the 82% get accepted into medical school, but there is a list where student go onto medical school.
Class size 230-250 students
very reputable program
depending on the competitiveness of the class, anywhere from 20-60 students get admitted to TCOM. This differs year by year.
No guarenteed interview/linkage
But great reputation and long standing history of getting students in medical school
Class starts next month (even tho classes are manageable, Im still worried because taking additional classes is taking time away from MCAT prep)
MCAT princeton prep courses starts next month (2 months of prep course)
TCOM Complex 1: 99%
(as you can see the complex scores are crazy on par)
TCOM Class 2017: placed 99% into GME Program.

Tuition: Is not an issue. i was pleasantly surprised to see KCUMB is slightly cheaper. But this is not a factor for me, I just want to see which school would give me the best chance to get accepted next year.

Taking all this into consideration, I would really love to hear multiple perspectives. If you were in my shoes, what would you do? What program would you pick?

Thank you so much

PS: Any quick replies would be appreciated. The deadlines are approaching soon for both, and I wouldn't want to keep a seat someone else can utilize.

Hey so I also applied to 6 other programs and got accepted. My ultimate decision came down to cost (which UNT was the cheapest option) and proximity to home, since these programs will be a tremendous test so I'll need a good support system nearby (my family is like 4 hours away by car but still pretty close in comparison to other schools out of state). Another big thing that I read on other SDN forums is to not base your decision on the automatic interview thing, but rather where you can envision yourself to do well - since that's why you're considering these programs in the first place. I know UNTHSC has an amazing support system too, so that's something to think about when you're deciding on schools!

I hope this helps. This was part of my thought process as I narrowed down my choices. Ultimately it comes down to what your gut tells you, and usually that's a pretty clear feeling once you dive into the research process on these schools.

Hello everyone. I've been really really fortunate as to getting acceptances to all the post bac programs I applied too (6- i know, i know, I freaked out thinking I wouldn't get in anywhere). I've withdrew my application to most of them early on. However now Im struggling to choose between TCOM Med Sci and KCUMB COB. I would really appreciate some honest advice. If you were in my position what would you? I posed some data I got directly from the admissions people from both schools. I am a Texas resident. I've verified that If i go out of state, I can still utilize the in state residency for texas since Ive lived here for so long. And if anyone knows if there is an advantage/disadvantage to gaining a biomedical sciences degree vs medical sciences please let me know. Unfortunately I've got no one to talk too about this, and none of my family/friends are physicians. So im tearing my hair out here since I don't know what to do.

KCUMB (biomedical science degree)
120 students get in (Class size)
Maintain 3.5 GPA, and minimum MCAT 501 automatic interview with KCUMB medical school.
about 50-70 students get interviews in a class every year.
around 40% of those get into the DO program
website says 79% of the class goes onto medical school, 12% employment, 1% dental school
a map of where biomedical sciences students go to medical school is available. about 18-19 states are represented, TX is included.
Kaplan Course offered for MCAT prep
Class starts August.
tutoring available.
KCUMB medical school class stats: (2017-2018)
COMLEX-USA Level 1
School Mean: 586.73
National Mean:557.81
School Pass Rate: 98.8%
Founded in 1916, College of Osteopathic Medicine is the largest medical school in Missouri and one of the five original schools of osteopathic medicine.
100% residency match rates for past 4 years.

TCOM (medical sciences)
Named as one of the nation’s top medical schools for primary care by U.S. News & World Report, TCOM is a leader in training physicians skilled in comprehensive primary care and rural medicine.
Approximately 82 percent of these were successful in gaining admission into medical, dental, or physician assistant schools in the State of Texas and across the United States. there are no stats available what percentage out of the 82% get accepted into medical school, but there is a list where student go onto medical school.
Class size 230-250 students
very reputable program
depending on the competitiveness of the class, anywhere from 20-60 students get admitted to TCOM. This differs year by year.
No guarenteed interview/linkage
But great reputation and long standing history of getting students in medical school
Class starts next month (even tho classes are manageable, Im still worried because taking additional classes is taking time away from MCAT prep)
MCAT princeton prep courses starts next month (2 months of prep course)
TCOM Complex 1: 99%
(as you can see the complex scores are crazy on par)
TCOM Class 2017: placed 99% into GME Program.

Tuition: Is not an issue. i was pleasantly surprised to see KCUMB is slightly cheaper. But this is not a factor for me, I just want to see which school would give me the best chance to get accepted next year.

Taking all this into consideration, I would really love to hear multiple perspectives. If you were in my shoes, what would you do? What program would you pick?

Thank you so much

PS: Any quick replies would be appreciated. The deadlines are approaching soon for both, and I wouldn't want to keep a seat someone else can utilize.

If your ultimate goal is to go to medical school in TX, then I would recommend the UNTHSC Medical Sciences program over KCUMB's because although both programs are reputable, TX schools are more familiar with the UNTHSC program than they are the KCUMB. As long as you do well in your summer and fall semester of MedSci, you are likely to receive an interview from TCOM.

Also, I may be biased but... Fort Worth, TX >>> Kansas City, MO.

Sorry, I don't know if this is insensitive of me to ask, but would you mind sharing when you heard back from them? I'm going nuts over here! Also, best of luck at Texas Tech I am very happy for you!

Lol I was just like you.. wondering if I should preparing to jump off a cliff or something after I had interviewed. Anyways I heard back within a week after my interview. But yeah thank you! And good luck to you too..I know you did fine in your interview .

Last edited by a moderator:
What were your stats?

My stats were poor : 2.8 sGPA and sub 3.0 cGPA. Mcat was poor also (waiting on my new score ) : 490 . Very strong ECs tho. Honestly I believe it was my interview skills that got me in.. because there is no way I could have gotten in with my current stat.

Accepted!! Got my email at 11:18am this morning. Congrats to everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
My stats were poor : 2.8 sGPA and sub 3.0 cGPA. Mcat was poor also (waiting on my new score ) : 490 . Very strong ECs tho. Honestly I believe it was my interview skills that got me in.. because there is no way I could have gotten in with my current stat.
Sorry to hear, I feel like a rejection coming my way as well and this was the only program I applied to. You’ll kill it at Tech!

Sorry to hear, I feel like a rejection coming my way as well and this was the only program I applied to. You’ll kill it at Tech!

Thank you ! And welp like @kprovost told me.. “confidence is key” so don’t count yourself out. Also there’s still time to apply to other programs .. I highly don’t recommend placing all your eggs in one program. If I had done that for UNT program , I’d be screwed right now.

Thank you ! And welp like @kprovost told me.. “confidence is key” so don’t count yourself out. Also there’s still time to apply to other programs .. I highly don’t recommend placing all your eggs in one program. If I had done that for UNT program , I’d be screwed right now.
I CONCUR... @Promotheon Have you checked out LMU-DCOM cost of living is relative cheap there. I'm currently looking for a place. 3 bedroom houses for $800.

I CONCUR... @Promotheon Have you checked out LMU-DCOM cost of living is relative cheap there. I'm currently looking for a place. 3 bedroom houses for $800.
Honestly UNT was the only reason I considered the SMP, it is near me and not too expensive for TX residents and pathway to DO which was ideal. Thats the reason I did not apply to Tech/UH, if I have no success here likely I will do a post bacc at a local school and work on my MCAT since it was horrid. I believe even if my MCAT was a bit higher I would have gotten in by now, but I completely bombed it. I cant afford out of state for an SMP, only DO if I get in, as funding is limited.

Honestly UNT was the only reason I considered the SMP, it is near me and not too expensive for TX residents and pathway to DO which was ideal. Thats the reason I did not apply to Tech/UH, if I have no success here likely I will do a post bacc at a local school and work on my MCAT since it was horrid. I believe even if my MCAT was a bit higher I would have gotten in by now, but I completely bombed it. I cant afford out of state for an SMP, only DO if I get in, as funding is limited.
That is very understandable however you should know, all of the SMP's I applied to are medical schools with DO programs of their own. All of them are private schools meaning my tuition is the same as instate and to me 25-30k is pretty cheap in comparison to many other schools . In fact I didn't realize until after I paid for the application fee for one of my programs that it was $82k a year, thank gosh I was waitlisted b/c I really liked this school and totally missed that COA.
UNTHSC $37k
LMU-$31k

That is very understandable however you should know, all of the SMP's I applied to are medical schools with DO programs of their own. All of them are private schools meaning my tuition is the same as instate and to me 25-30k is pretty cheap in comparison to many other schools . In fact I didn't realize until after I paid for the application fee for one of my programs that it was $82k a year, thank gosh I was waitlisted b/c I really liked this school and totally missed that COA.
UNTHSC $37k
LMU-$31k
I thought instate for UNT was coming out to around 15k minus housing, so thats what seemed appealing to me. I could be wrong though. Do you have the link for the estimated tuition?

@Promotheon
I'll share with you what my mentor an Anesthesiologist, adjunct professor, and admissions board (He is at a Texas Medical School) told me this year and last cycle. " I understand that you don't have/make alot of money but you can't be afraid to come out of pocket for this career path, it's quite costly." Evaluate this and understand the risk!!!

Don't take this the wrong way, I don't want any body to feel sorry for me .
I'm African American, born and raised in Mississippi. I am # 2 of 6 children, raised in a single parent home. Mom finished high school, works a regular job, lived off of welfare until I turned 18. I was the first in my family and generation to go to college. When I enrolled in the university, I was immediately relieved from any welfare assistance, (food stamps, health care) and was told that if I can afford to attend a university then I could pay for my own necessities. (I had academic scholarships). I worked 40-60 hrs a week during my first 2.5 years of college (very dumb decision) I retook about 8 classes altogether. (That's why I must go the SMP route). I am now the first in my entire family of all 4 generations living and deceased who has ever applied to medical school , and will be physician in this life time). Trust me , my funds are very limited but this career path requires good network or some pretty pennies.

Reactions: 3 users
@Promotheon
I'll share with you what my mentor an Anesthesiologist, adjunct professor, and admissions board (He is at a Texas Medical School) told me this year and last cycle. " I understand that you don't have/make alot of money but you can't be afraid to come out of pocket for this career path, it's quite costly." Evaluate this and understand the risk!!!

Don't take this the wrong way, I don't want any body to feel sorry for me .
I'm African American, born and raised in Mississippi. I am # 2 of 6 children, raised in a single parent home. Mom finished high school, works a regular job, lived off of welfare until I turned 18. I was the first in my family and generation to go to college. When I enrolled in the university, I was immediately relieved from any welfare assistance, (food stamps, health care) and was told that if I can afford to attend a university then I could pay for my own necessities. (I had academic scholarships). I worked 40-60 hrs a week during my first 2.5 years of college (very dumb decision) I retook about 8 classes altogether. (That's why I must go the SMP route). I am now the first in my entire family of all 4 generations living and deceased who has ever applied to medical school , and will be physician in this life time). Trust me , my funds are very limited but this career path requires good network or some pretty pennies.

Your story is so inspiring! I also have a sorta similar story to yours. Also an African American. Anyways, I know you’d be one hell of a physician .

@Promotheon If this is really what you want to do in life then go for it. Only You are aware of your own abilities and limitations.

Look at it like this, if your not willing to take a risk on/in your own life, then why should anyone grant you the power to take risk/develop treatment plans on other love ones life?
Bottom line: which ever route you take , we are all going to be in debt, trust me.

• Love
I thought instate for UNT was coming out to around 15k minus housing, so thats what seemed appealing to me. I could be wrong though. Do you have the link for the estimated tuition?

Minus housing UNT comes out to ~$26,307 (in-state), slightly less if you don't take Biochem or MCAT prep in the summer, according to last year's CoA breakdown
Budget Information for GSBS Students 2018-2019 (note: Med-Sci program is the bottom half)

Summer is optional though, correct? I would want to do only the mcat course in the summer since i am currently enrolled in Biochemistry.

No, the summer semester is not optional. There is Biostats, mandatory application workshops, preceptorship, etc.

Minus housing UNT comes out to ~$26,307 (in-state), slightly less if you don't take Biochem or MCAT prep in the summer, according to last year's CoA breakdown
Budget Information for GSBS Students 2018-2019 (note: Med-Sci program is the bottom half)

Okay I was looking at the top half, but geez the 2nd half is more $44k, we can't take out housing b/c we essentially have to live somewhere (of course it may be less than what's in the COA.

Well purely tuition and fees is 13.6k, everything else (housing, personal transportation, personal expenses, etc.) is variable and dependent on your lifestyle and not necessarily attributed to the program cost itself.

Not a bad deal for a master’s degree

Admitted students:
Anyone have insight on how the Princeton review course for MCAT is structured in June? What course it is, how many hours a day, if we are taught by instructors? Bc Princeton offers multiple courses and when I called them they couldn't tell me.
Thank you

There’s a summer schedule posted on the FB admitted students group! With some detail about the MCAT prep course

Admitted students:
Anyone have insight on how the Princeton review course for MCAT is structured in June? What course it is, how many hours a day, if we are taught by instructors? Bc Princeton offers multiple courses and when I called them they couldn't tell me.
Thank you

Oh I teach the same course, except not in Ft. Worth.
1 lecture, 3 hours per day, split into 2 halves (10-ish minute break at around the 1:30 mark)
Separate instructors for each subject.
Depending on instructor availability, may have a class online. (In my case, it was Psych/Soc).

Assuming UNTHSC still has the same instructors as before, your Bio/Biochem and Physics teachers are "Master Instructors" (i.e. Very experienced, very good).

“Like” this if you are still waiting to hear back like me.

Reactions: 8 users
I applied in December, complete in January...
I've been wondering whether they forgot about me completely but I guess maybe not since others who applied early are in the same boat.

-CR

I just called.

Said they are offering acceptances throughout the end of this month. We should hear something the next two weeks.

I just called.

Said they are offering acceptances throughout the end of this month. We should hear something the next two weeks.
so basically we will absolutely know by the end of april? such a long turnover wow.

so basically we will absolutely know by the end of april? such a long turnover wow.

Basically. She said if you don’t hear anything in two weeks then call.

Probably waiting for people to reject their acceptances so they can decide whether or not we will be admitted.

How many people are accepted as of now out of 230-250 people?

FYI, Tech is ~38k per year .

Hey, just wondering where you got ~38K a year? Is this the program in Lubbock or El Paso? I was told that tuition for the Tech program in Lubbock would be closer to 2.5k a semester during the tour and faculty lunch. Also when did you interview? Did they give you an offer same day? Interviews were Thursday 4/11 and Friday 4/12. I am pretty amazed by how fast that turn around time was, especially if they notified you of acceptance by Saturday 4/13. Just wanting to get more info because I am still anxiously awaiting a decision.

“Like” this if you are still waiting to hear back like me.
I was just told by admissions that I’m currently under review. I called to ask if they wanted my MCAT score that just came out on Tuesday, she was like you can submit it now , but likely you’ll know something pretty soon . I was like

Last edited:
I was just told by admissions that I’m currently under review. I called to ask if they wanted my MCAY score that just came out on Tuesday, she was like you can submit it now , but likely you’ll know something pretty soon . I was like
what does soon mean :arghh: