UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly bro if you get your mcat up to a 507 you’re golden for DO if you’re open to that.
yeah just going to have to keep trying. i applied to 3 other programs, waitlisted at one, but waiting on the other two. hopefully one will want me! good luck to you, ive been rooting for you as well!

Reactions: 1 users
yeah just going to have to keep trying. i applied to 3 other programs, waitlisted at one, but waiting on the other two. hopefully one will want me! good luck to you, ive been rooting for you as well!

:woot: Did you apply outside of Texas? Come join me in Washington :thinking:

I'm leaving Austin in late July, stoked and ready to move forward! :hello:

Reactions: 1 user
Called this morning to see what my status was; they said everything is done via email and if they decide you are on waitlist or holding the application, you will hear back like a week or so before orientation/classes.

Will they tell you if you are on the holding/waitlist? If so by chance did they mention when? I’m just wondering since I haven’t heard back anything at all.

Will they tell you if you are on the holding/waitlist? If so by chance did they mention when? I’m just wondering since I haven’t heard back anything at all.
They did not say, and I did not want to ask.

Been following this thread for a while, and officially rejected from the UNTHSC program, but on the plus side I did receive an admission from TTUHSC El Paso! Although UNT had been my first choice, I'm happy to be given the opportunity to improve my chances to med school! Just curious whether anyone else in this thread got into El Paso? Good luck to everyone else starting at UNT!

Been following this thread for a while, and officially rejected from the UNTHSC program, but on the plus side I did receive an admission from TTUHSC El Paso! Although UNT had been my first choice, I'm happy to be given the opportunity to improve my chances to med school! Just curious whether anyone else in this thread got into El Paso? Good luck to everyone else starting at UNT!

Congrats man/women!! (sorry I don’t want to guess wrong). I’m happy for you. Guess we will be seeing each other in a couple months. I’m highkey trying to form a study group before classes begin.

typo456 said:
@Luke SKy @typo456 ...
Congratulations to you, I hope you both do well in the TT Post Bacc program.

Members don't see this ad :)
3.0/485 for me
It looks like the lower MCAT scores are pushed to the back of the list

3.0/485 for me
It looks like the lower MCAT scores are pushed to the back of the list
I guess it’s fair though. For us getting to a 508 may be more of a challenge than someone already at a 505.

I know it's too late to apply, but do you guys know if they took sub 3.0 GPAs? I have a 2.8 w/ 511 MCAT, but was told by an advisor that I wouldn't be able to get into this program.

I know it's too late to apply, but do you guys know if they took sub 3.0 GPAs? I have a 2.8 w/ 511 MCAT, but was told by an advisor that I wouldn't be able to get into this program.
You’re the ideal candidate for this program to be honest. Apply early next year and you’re in for sure.

I did not see there was an official cut off score for GPA so I think you should apply next year if you're still interested in the program.

I feel like we may hear something tomorrow - at least some of us. But then I’ve been having this feeling for months

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats man/women!! (sorry I don’t want to guess wrong). I’m happy for you. Guess we will be seeing each other in a couple months. I’m highkey trying to form a study group before classes begin.
Thanks man! Definitely interested in getting in touch with more people from El Paso! Mind if I PM you?

maybe today since it's the last day of the month...**fingers crossed**
Lol you are very hopeful I see lol. That's good. I really hope you are able to land a seat in their program. It really sucks sitting around waiting for these different schools to tell us we are accepted/rejected, but it's just a part of the process. Happy Tuesday to all you hopeful yet patient students.

Lol you are very hopeful I see lol. That's good. I really hope you are able to land a seat in their program. It really sucks sitting around waiting for these different schools to tell us we are accepted/rejected, but it's just a part of the process. Happy Tuesday to all you hopeful yet patient stude
Lol you are very hopeful I see lol. That's good. I really hope you are able to land a seat in their program. It really sucks sitting around waiting for these different schools to tell us we are accepted/rejected, but it's just a part of the process. Happy Tuesday to all you hopeful yet patient students.
I have basically planned out what to do because I have accepted I am probably not getting in. Sucks but there is some peace with keeping low expectations.

Just for you guys’ information Texas A&M’s Biomedical Science deadline isn’t until June 1st for the fall. Also, ARCOM has a new masters program that costs only 5k.

I guess I’ll apply to both those programs.

Reactions: 2 users
Just for you guys’ information Texas A&M’s Biomedical Science deadline isn’t until June 1st for the fall. Also, ARCOM has a new masters program that costs only 5k.

It seems like a pretty good program. I'm going to contact them today to get more information regarding this program.

Thanks - I'm going to look into the A&M one. I contacted the ARCOM one and the reason it's 5k is because it doesn't qualify for federal aid/FAFSA at this time...just FYI.

• Wow
Thanks - I'm going to look into the A&M one. I contacted the ARCOM one and the reason it's 5k is because it doesn't qualify for federal aid/FAFSA at this time...just FYI.
Are you serious? o_O
Wow, that's crazy. I just talked to the director for like 30 mins, he didn't mention that to me at all. NO FAFSA sucks . However he gave more insight.
This is their first time running this program, they expect to see more than 70% of the 50 students accepted into the MSB Matriculate, the tuition altogether is about $7300. $5000 tuition, $2300 fees, services, and background check. MCAT 487 cutoff, they look for upward trend in grades, no MCAT prep course, but the MSB program should help you perform better as a whole.
:meh: I was inclined to apply due to relatively low cost of tuition, but I certainly can't pay $7000+ out of pocket and still pay for room, board, food, gas, car maintenance. :(

Are you serious? o_O
Wow, that's crazy. I just talked to the director for like 30 mins, he didn't mention that to me at all. NO FAFSA sucks . However he gave more insight.
This is their first time running this program, they expect to see more than 70% of the 50 students accepted into the MSB Matriculate, the tuition altogether is about $7300. $5000 tuition, $2300 fees, services, and background check. MCAT 487 cutoff, they look for upward trend in grades, no MCAT prep course, but the MSB program should help you perform better as a whole.
:meh: I was inclined to apply due to relatively low cost of tuition, but I certainly can't pay $7000+ out of pocket and still pay for room, board, food, gas, car maintenance. :(
I still have my email from them (ARCOM) dated 3/27. It reads:

"Unfortunately you will not be able to utilize federal student aid for our program this year. We are unable to have Title IV funding until we graduate our first class, so that will be available to students for the next cycle. That is why we have dropped the cost of the tuition, to help aid for those that will need to secure scholarships, personal loans or use their own money."

• Sad
I still have my email from them (ARCOM) dated 3/27. It reads:

"Unfortunately you will not be able to utilize federal student aid for our program this year. We are unable to have Title IV funding until we graduate our first class, so that will be available to students for the next cycle. That is why we have dropped the cost of the tuition, to help aid for those that will need to secure scholarships, personal loans or use their own money."
Welp, I guess I can't submit an app.

Lol at that point , that school isn’t worth it. Like who do you know that has 7k lying around like that?

So I can't believe we haven't heard anything back yet...school starts in 4 weeks!

Reactions: 3 users
I applied for UH on the 15th of April and got denied today! UNT is the only school left. If not I’ll apply for more SMPs.

• Wow
I applied for UH on the 15th of April and got denied today! UNT is the only school left. If not I’ll apply for more SMPs.

Woah! Sooo that school is actually alive but Dang dude I’m sorry to hear that... I honestly think it’s your Mcat score that hold you back .

Did they send an email to you?

How are we expected to pay $7300 without aide?

I don’t have $73 dollars :scared:

• Haha
Edit. Just checked my status on UH MS Biomedical Sciences and was denied.

Last edited:
  • Sad