UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey, just wondering where you got ~38K a year? Is this the program in Lubbock or El Paso? I was told that tuition for the Tech program in Lubbock would be closer to 2.5k a semester during the tour and faculty lunch. Also when did you interview? Did they give you an offer same day? Interviews were Thursday 4/11 and Friday 4/12. I am pretty amazed by how fast that turn around time was, especially if they notified you of acceptance by Saturday 4/13. Just wanting to get more info because I am still anxiously awaiting a decision.

Honestly forgot where I got this information.. found it off a document on the on the website for the TTU El Paso school... :/ maybe it was an old document or something.

Anyways, I interviewed on 4/5 and receive acceptance approximately a week later. This was in El Paso so the process may be a bit different .

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was just told by admissions that I’m currently under review. I called to ask if they wanted my MCAY score that just came out on Tuesday, she was like you can submit it now , but likely you’ll know something pretty soon . I was like

Lucky .. my score don’t come until 30th but they already buried me alive. Lolol

what does soon mean :arghh:
Honestly I’m not sure if she meant by the end of day today or by Monday . But I was like well let’s see what happens. So far, I’m already packed to move to Washington, since I was accepted into their program . But can’t deny , I’m still down for the UNTHSC MMS

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just told by admissions that I’m currently under review. I called to ask if they wanted my MCAT score that just came out on Tuesday, she was like you can submit it now , but likely you’ll know something pretty soon . I was like
who did you call specifically?? I feel like every time I call the admissions i get a generic answer about checking the portal. Like I need answers!!

who did you call specifically?? I feel like every time I call the admissions i get a generic answer about checking the portal. Like I need answers!!
lol I just called the number given to us on the info page, the (817)735-2789 and I talked to a Jessica .

Like my new Mcat score doesn’t come out till the 30th but they already rejected me. Lol sorry if I confused you.
Oh nooo... did they offer you any specific feedback , or the General we regret to inform you that you were not selected spew ?

well I’m in San Antonio for the weekend. I’ll be at The Long School of Medicine in the anesthesiology dept bright and early at 6:30 am.
I was walking through the school/hospital today super excited . It was so surreal, it felt like I was in a movie and all my dreams came true !
I’m so ready for this career !

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly forgot where I got this information.. found it off a document on the on the website for the TTU El Paso school... :/ maybe it was an old document or something.

Anyways, I interviewed on 4/5 and receive acceptance approximately a week later. This was in El Paso so the process may be a bit different .

Oh wow that’s awesome you heard back so soon! I interviewed at El Paso a week before you and am still waiting on a reply :/ it’s quite nerve wrecking. Did they send you the decision through email or phone call?

Reactions: 1 users
Anybody apply to UH’s program? The application is free, I was pleasantly surprised when I submitted it. I’m waiting on one reference to submit then my app is complete.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody apply to UH’s program? The application is free, I was pleasantly surprised when I submitted it. I’m waiting on one reference to submit then my app is complete.

I applied there too. Honestly this program takes forever to asses apps , so idk when we will even get a response .

Oh wow that’s awesome you heard back so soon! I interviewed at El Paso a week before you and am still waiting on a reply :/ it’s quite nerve wrecking. Did they send you the decision through email or phone call?

Umm they sent their decision through an email. Yours is most likely in the possible acceptance pile. Honestly I would take my mind off it for a while.. that’s what I did. Cause during the interview, I was shocked that 7 people would be the ones to interview me and I got nervous and thought I did bad. :/

Could I ask what your stats were?

Umm they sent their decision through an email. Yours is most likely in the possible acceptance pile. Honestly I would take my mind off it for a while.. that’s what I did. Cause during the interview, I was shocked that 7 people would be the ones to interview me and I got nervous and thought I did bad. :/

Could I ask what your stats were?

Yeah, I was a little shocked at the number of people interviewing me as well, but I think the interview went well. It was just a little difficult at the beginning because I did a virtual interview and getting used to hearing my voice echo in the background took adjusting. My cGPA is 3.4 and MCAT is 497. I think my sGPA is between 3.0-3.1 because I retook a class and have not recalculated it yet so not 100% sure. I’ve been trying to take my mind off of it, but it’s definitely difficult considering it’s been a few weeks now since the interview lol One of my questions during the interview was actually when I should be expecting to hear back, and they told me the next week I should hear their decision, so I’ve just been sitting around waiting and even sent a follow up email last week to make sure the decision letter didn’t get mixed up somewhere. Sadly, I was just told that the admission committee is still reviewing applications, so the wait just continues >.< Thank you for letting me know the method though! My phone has been acting funny and dropping calls, so I was worried if they called with the decision that it would be lost. It definitely puts my mind a bit more at ease.

I want to but they don’t accept interfolio and I don’t know that I can get more letters

Yeah I submitted mine too. I actually just heard about the program and it would probably benefit you for UH medical school in 2020 if you did well in it. All my family is in Houston too

Today is basically 3 months since I submitted loooool

I applied there too. Honestly this program takes forever to asses apps , so idk when we will even get a response .

When did you apply? I got into UNT but would really prefer to stay in Houston but I've been pretty disappointed with their inability to give me a timeline on when I can expect to hear back with UNT's program starting at the end of May and needing to notify my job how much longer they can expect me to be there.

When did you apply? I got into UNT but would really prefer to stay in Houston but I've been pretty disappointed with their inability to give me a timeline on when I can expect to hear back with UNT's program starting at the end of May and needing to notify my job how much longer they can expect me to be there.
When did you get into UNT?

Yeah, I was a little shocked at the number of people interviewing me as well, but I think the interview went well. It was just a little difficult at the beginning because I did a virtual interview and getting used to hearing my voice echo in the background took adjusting. My cGPA is 3.4 and MCAT is 497. I think my sGPA is between 3.0-3.1 because I retook a class and have not recalculated it yet so not 100% sure. I’ve been trying to take my mind off of it, but it’s definitely difficult considering it’s been a few weeks now since the interview lol One of my questions during the interview was actually when I should be expecting to hear back, and they told me the next week I should hear their decision, so I’ve just been sitting around waiting and even sent a follow up email last week to make sure the decision letter didn’t get mixed up somewhere. Sadly, I was just told that the admission committee is still reviewing applications, so the wait just continues >.< Thank you for letting me know the method though! My phone has been acting funny and dropping calls, so I was worried if they called with the decision that it would be lost. It definitely puts my mind a bit more at ease.

Welp your stats completely beats mine so based off of that you should get in . But your brave for asking tat question.. lol I wouldn’t have asked that in my opinion . Did you send them a thank you card? I sure the hell didnt.

I applied when it was first mentioned in this thread .. lol wasted no time .

Welp your stats completely beats mine so based off of that you should get in . But your brave for asking tat question.. lol I wouldn’t have asked that in my opinion . Did you send them a thank you card? I sure the hell didnt.
I sent a thank you email to the 2 people who I was communicating with but not directly my interviewers since I did not have their information lol I just asked them that because I was curious and definitely need to make plans if I get in versus if I don't. I don't think it came off poorly, but what's done is done lol it's all a waiting game now x)

Also, did your application status change on the GSBS site after the interview and after your acceptance? Because mine has been sitting at a green check mark on everything until "Interview Offer", but there has been no change to check mark on the "Interview" yet since completing my interview. I'm not sure if they just wait to accept/reject the applicant before updating the system, but I'm just curious if you don't mind answering.

Also, did your application status change on the GSBS site after the interview and after your acceptance? Because mine has been sitting at a green check mark on everything until "Interview Offer", but there has been no change to check mark on the "Interview" yet since completing my interview. I'm not sure if they just wait to accept/reject the applicant before updating the system, but I'm just curious if you don't mind answering.

Lol my thing changed to green for all the other items in the check list after I quickly accepted the offer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sent a thank you email to the 2 people who I was communicating with but not directly my interviewers since I did not have their information lol I just asked them that because I was curious and definitely need to make plans if I get in versus if I don't. I don't think it came off poorly, but what's done is done lol it's all a waiting game now x)

Lol as long as what was stated in the email wasn’t a suck up letter. I was told a letter can only harm you if you say the wrong thing . So I just stay away from even doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mann this wait is killing me... still no rejection or acceptance :cryi:

Reactions: 2 users
Lol as long as what was stated in the email wasn’t a suck up letter. I was told a letter can only harm you if you say the wrong thing . So I just stay away from even doing it.

Gotcha, hmm I don’t think it was a suck up letter because I just thanked them for helping me especially since I didn’t have the interview link until the morning of lol oh well! Just gotta hope for the best :) thanks for answering my questions!

I think I was rejected. I got an email yesterday saying my file had already been reviewed but I have no updates.

:meh:

But on a side note. While shadowing this past weekend. I got to watch a few bone surgeries, and a full liver transplant (took about 12 hrs) but it was exciting. I'm going back for more, one of the anesthesiologist asked me, "So did you learn enough this weekend, are you going to specialize in Anesthesiology now?" o_O

I think I was rejected. I got an email yesterday saying my file had already been reviewed but I have no updates.

:meh:

But on a side note. While shadowing this past weekend. I got to watch a few bone surgeries, and a full liver transplant (took about 12 hrs) but it was exciting. I'm going back for more, one of the anesthesiologist asked me, "So did you learn enough this weekend, are you going to specialize in Anesthesiology now?" o_O
Wait did you email them asking? Or did they just randomly send you that update? Maybe your portal changed.

Wait did you email them asking? Or did they just randomly send you that update? Maybe your portal changed.
I'm assuming it was based off of Friday. I called and spoke with someone and told them I got my new MCAT score back and she told me to send it over. I emailed it, but I received an email yesterday morning saying that my file was already reviewed it wouldn't be of use now.

I just checked my portal and was accepted!! I applied in late December and was complete by the first week of January. Still haven’t received an e-mail but will definitely be accepting the offer. Good luck to everyone else!

I just checked my portal and was accepted!! I applied in late December and was complete by the first week of January. Still haven’t received an e-mail but will definitely be accepting the offer. Good luck to everyone else!
Congratulations!!
What are your stats @pxa8891 ?

Congratulations!!
What are your stats @pxa8891 ?
MCAT 506
GPA 3.2 with a 3.5 in the last 60 hours
I actually applied last year with an MCAT of 499 and didn’t get in. Spent the last year scribing and retook my MCAT.

Called this morning to see what my status was; they said everything is done via email and if they decide you are on waitlist or holding the application, you will hear back like a week or so before orientation/classes.

Called this morning to see what my status was; they said everything is done via email and if they decide you are on waitlist or holding the application, you will hear back like a week or so before orientation/classes.
Do you know when orientation is?

did not get in. good luck to everyone else though.

havent gotten an email yet but saw online

I just received my acceptance email! Good luck to the rest of you I know the wait is hard. Submitted Jan. 14.