UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2019-2020

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by pathway2doc, Dec 9, 2018.

1. pathway2doc

Let's kick this off!

I'm a current medsci and I'm willing to answer any questions you might have.

I had lower stats before applying, but I also applied twice. ugpa:3.1, mcat:500. That goes to say, things would always work out. Keep trying hard and you'll get to where you want to be!

Good luck!

2. Prof_cinephile

What's your years class size?

How did you find the program in terms of difficulty, support from staff/students etc.?

Any idea about how many people will matriculate or get an II?

What do you think of the program overall? Anything you would change or future students should be aware of?

Any false rumors or myths about the program you can squash?

3. OP
    OP
    pathway2doc

Hi, let's see. I'll answer to the best of my abilities

1.) About 200-230. We started with ~250, but some people got accepted to med school during the summer.

2.) Fall semester isn't so bad. Honestly, the test wasn't that difficult. As long as you thoroughly review the power points you should be fine. I can tell you more about spring semester in 4 months. From what I've heard the tests for spring semester are 2nd and 3rd order questions, so it might be more difficult.

3.) Support is AMAZING here. They encourage teamwork from the beginning. Most students are pretty supportive and offer resources. We also had an amazing student that would make practice exams before every test. There are also other support programs such as the center of academic performance (CAP), they offer private tutors if needed. Tutors are usually past medsci students attending TCOM

4.) Do you mean into the medsci program or TCOM? if you mean medsci, we don't have secondaries. If TCOM, honestly I'm not sure how many people applied to TCOM. Some people also choose to wait till after the program before applying.

5.) Overall, I think it's an amazing program. Especially if you've had a rough patch like me. The support from faculty and staff is amazing. They truly want you to succeed and will do everything to make sure. you put in your part, and they would too.

Dear future students,

Do not email the professors for a curve or grade change. Just don't. Most professors WILL get annoyed and choose not to. Whereas if you don't they just might, but don't expect this to be the case. Just be on the safe side, and earn the grade you want.

6.)Admission into the medsci program does not guarantee admission into TCOM. It will play into your application but it is not guaranteed. Just do your best in this program and everything might just work out.

4. Luke SKy

I'm not sure if you know but i'll ask anyways... what was the lowest acceptance scores/stats into this program?

5. OP
    OP
    pathway2doc

Honestly, I can't say. I've heard about some students who got in with stats lower than mine. Typically we have more students with either a bad mcat score or a bad gpa. The rest of us with the double whammy usually do a post bacc program or have a killer essays or recommendation letters to prove to the adcoms that we deserve this chance. When it comes down to it, we're all telling a story through our applications about why we deserve this chance and what we'll do to improve ourselves if given this chance.

You can also read past posts to see the stats of people who got accepted. Hope that helps :)

6. longhorn97

Verified Account

Pre-Medical
    Do a lot of people in the program apply concurrently to MD/DO schools?

7. medicalredhead

Pre-Medical
    Current MedSci here as well!

I was accepted with a 494 MCAT, but the website states that a 495 is considered competitive. My ECs and essays were very strong. Our adcoms are vocal about picking people they know can make great doctors one day, so do your best to get the MCAT done and over with as strong as you can. Any students entering with less than a 507 score will automatically be registered into the MCAT prep course.

Yes. The majority of our program are reapplicants, so many people chose to apply to DO in addition to MD. Also, many people applied out-of-state (OOS) + Texas when they only applied to Texas the first time around. Med Sci has students placed in every DO school in the country, every MD school in Texas, and a solid number of alumni in OOS MD schools.

Key525 likes this.