UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathway2doc

Reaction score
Let's kick this off!

I'm a current medsci and I'm willing to answer any questions you might have.

I had lower stats before applying, but I also applied twice. ugpa:3.1, mcat:500. That goes to say, things would always work out. Keep trying hard and you'll get to where you want to be!

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What's your years class size?

How did you find the program in terms of difficulty, support from staff/students etc.?

Any idea about how many people will matriculate or get an II?

What do you think of the program overall? Anything you would change or future students should be aware of?

Any false rumors or myths about the program you can squash?

What's your years class size?

How did you find the program in terms of difficulty, support from staff/students etc.?

Any idea about how many people will matriculate or get an II?

What do you think of the program overall? Anything you would change or future students should be aware of?

Any false rumors or myths about the program you can squash?

Hi, let's see. I'll answer to the best of my abilities

1.) About 200-230. We started with ~250, but some people got accepted to med school during the summer.

2.) Fall semester isn't so bad. Honestly, the test wasn't that difficult. As long as you thoroughly review the power points you should be fine. I can tell you more about spring semester in 4 months. From what I've heard the tests for spring semester are 2nd and 3rd order questions, so it might be more difficult.

3.) Support is AMAZING here. They encourage teamwork from the beginning. Most students are pretty supportive and offer resources. We also had an amazing student that would make practice exams before every test. There are also other support programs such as the center of academic performance (CAP), they offer private tutors if needed. Tutors are usually past medsci students attending TCOM

4.) Do you mean into the medsci program or TCOM? if you mean medsci, we don't have secondaries. If TCOM, honestly I'm not sure how many people applied to TCOM. Some people also choose to wait till after the program before applying.

5.) Overall, I think it's an amazing program. Especially if you've had a rough patch like me. The support from faculty and staff is amazing. They truly want you to succeed and will do everything to make sure. you put in your part, and they would too.

Dear future students,

Do not email the professors for a curve or grade change. Just don't. Most professors WILL get annoyed and choose not to. Whereas if you don't they just might, but don't expect this to be the case. Just be on the safe side, and earn the grade you want.

6.)Admission into the medsci program does not guarantee admission into TCOM. It will play into your application but it is not guaranteed. Just do your best in this program and everything might just work out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if you know but i'll ask anyways... what was the lowest acceptance scores/stats into this program?

Honestly, I can't say. I've heard about some students who got in with stats lower than mine. Typically we have more students with either a bad mcat score or a bad gpa. The rest of us with the double whammy usually do a post bacc program or have a killer essays or recommendation letters to prove to the adcoms that we deserve this chance. When it comes down to it, we're all telling a story through our applications about why we deserve this chance and what we'll do to improve ourselves if given this chance.

You can also read past posts to see the stats of people who got accepted. Hope that helps :)

Do a lot of people in the program apply concurrently to MD/DO schools?

Current MedSci here as well!

I'm not sure if you know but i'll ask anyways... what was the lowest acceptance scores/stats into this program?

I was accepted with a 494 MCAT, but the website states that a 495 is considered competitive. My ECs and essays were very strong. Our adcoms are vocal about picking people they know can make great doctors one day, so do your best to get the MCAT done and over with as strong as you can. Any students entering with less than a 507 score will automatically be registered into the MCAT prep course.

Do a lot of people in the program apply concurrently to MD/DO schools?

Yes. The majority of our program are reapplicants, so many people chose to apply to DO in addition to MD. Also, many people applied out-of-state (OOS) + Texas when they only applied to Texas the first time around. Med Sci has students placed in every DO school in the country, every MD school in Texas, and a solid number of alumni in OOS MD schools.

Reactions: 1 users
I know they look at the last 60 hours, but for the overall GPA do they calculate it like TMDSAS does? My last 60 hours are phenomenal (straight As) so the GPA in this institution isn't horrible (~3.45), but before that I was in another institution where my GPA is looooow (~2.3). And do they really put more emphasis on these last 60 hours? Also, how do they choose the last 60 hours? I think 57 credits will be pure A's, but for the remaining 3 they'll have to get the credit from a semester when I had B's and A's. Will they take the A or B into consideration? lol. sorry for all the questions.

Please,
I have two questions!

1. I submitted the application Nov 17th, two days after the application opened. However, my last letter of rec wasn't submitted until 1/11.
When should I expect to hear back from them?

2. I read applicant should have a sub 3.0 gpa and 495 mcat score at least to have a chance or " be considered compettitive".
I have a 2.85 gpa and 501 MCAT, with excellent ECS and LOR.
What do you think my chances are, and have you heard of students with similar or worse stats getting accepted into this program?

I know they look at the last 60 hours, but for the overall GPA do they calculate it like TMDSAS does? My last 60 hours are phenomenal (straight As) so the GPA in this institution isn't horrible (~3.45), but before that I was in another institution where my GPA is looooow (~2.3). And do they really put more emphasis on these last 60 hours? Also, how do they choose the last 60 hours? I think 57 credits will be pure A's, but for the remaining 3 they'll have to get the credit from a semester when I had B's and A's. Will they take the A or B into consideration? lol. sorry for all the questions.

There's more emphasis on the last 60 hours or the last few semesters leading up to the 60 hours. They mostly look for an upward trend, which you seem to have. They understand that some of us have been through a rough patch. I honestly don't think they calculate your total gpa, especially if you've been to several institutions. If you've only done your undergrad (without community college or post bacc), then yes, they can see your total gpa. Even with that, they are mostly concerned with the last 60 hours.

Please,
I have two questions!

1. I submitted the application Nov 17th, two days after the application opened. However, my last letter of rec wasn't submitted until 1/11.
When should I expect to hear back from them?

2. I read applicant should have a sub 3.0 gpa and 495 mcat score at least to have a chance or " be considered compettitive".
I have a 2.85 gpa and 501 MCAT, with excellent ECS and LOR.
What do you think my chances are, and have you heard of students with similar or worse stats getting accepted into this program?

1.) It varies for some people. The first batch of acceptance is usually sent during the 1st or 2nd week of February. Most people that are waitlisted may not hear back till March or April. So hang in there and keep your faith strong!

2.) It really depends. The majority of people accepted have either a low gpa or low mcat. Very few have both low gpa and low mcat. Most people that have low gpa or mcat have probably done a post bacc program to boost their chances. If your gpa shows an upward trend, the adcoms will definitely take that into consideration.

There's more emphasis on the last 60 hours or the last few semesters leading up to the 60 hours. They mostly look for an upward trend, which you seem to have. They understand that some of us have been through a rough patch. I honestly don't think they calculate your total gpa, especially if you've been to several institutions. If you've only done your undergrad (without community college or post bacc), then yes, they can see your total gpa. Even with that, they are mostly concerned with the last 60 hours.

Thank you! I've really been busting my butt trying to redeem myself and I hope they can see this >.<

Also, for anyone wondering.. During the open house they said they would start reviewing the first week of January, but I found out that for whatever reason, they actually won't start reviewing until late January. So maybe they start tomorrow? Good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a couple questions about the MCAT prep course. What was the minimum cut off for not having to take it this past summer? And how was it graded? Like were the grades based on attendance and completion of prep course material? Is there any way I could complete the online materials and still pass if I don’t go to most of the physical classes?

I’m locked in a lease til July and would really like to not have to pay for two apartments over the summer but I’ll do what I have to do if taking it’s required for me.

Also, for anyone wondering.. During the open house they said they would start reviewing the first week of January, but I found out that for whatever reason, they actually won't start reviewing until late January. So maybe they start tomorrow? Good luck to all!

How was the open house? Any other info you felt was worthwhile?

1.) It varies for some people. The first batch of acceptance is usually sent during the 1st or 2nd week of February. Most people that are waitlisted may not hear back till March or April. So hang in there and keep your faith strong!

2.) It really depends. The majority of people accepted have either a low gpa or low mcat. Very few have both low gpa and low mcat. Most people that have low gpa or mcat have probably done a post bacc program to boost their chances. If your gpa shows an upward trend, the adcoms will definitely take that into consideration.

Thank you!!
Very helplful!

How was the open house? Any other info you felt was worthwhile?

Open house was great! Some stuff may be common knowledge but I'm not sure how much you or anyone else reading knows so here are some important things

1. GPA avg 3.43, MCAT 504 (they claim they don't have a minimum, but 495+ is considered competitive)
2. Research experience!!!
3. 2 LORs(3 okay, 4 max though a little much)Even if you requested 3 LORs, it's considered a complete application as soon as 2 are in
4. Make sure whoever is writing your LORs address how they expect you to perform at a graduate level
4. Essays- not too long, not too short.
5. Interfolio accepted
6. Med Sci program orientation is in May so plan accordingly
7. They're shooting for 508 MCAT score, so if you have anything lower than that you'll be taking their MCAT prep course
8. They want you to take the MCAT in August, so if you have <508 start studying now because it'll be challenging having to balance mcat prep course + classes between May-Aug. However, they won't force you to take it in Aug. They only have that date so that you can apply to med schools and not have your app completed late in the cycle.
9. Community college and University credits are weighed the same (surprising!)
10. 240-250 class, last year 750 applied
11. They don't look at science GPA, just overall and last 60 hours (they really emphasized on the last 60 hours)
12. Everyone is so friendly and helpful! I fell in love with the campus and the city. Not like my noisy, hectic side of town lol. In the student panel, there was a girl with toddlers and her story just inspired me so much! Really made me believe this is truly possible if you give it your all.

Hope this was helpful!

I have a couple questions about the MCAT prep course. What was the minimum cut off for not having to take it this past summer? And how was it graded? Like were the grades based on attendance and completion of prep course material? Is there any way I could complete the online materials and still pass if I don’t go to most of the physical classes?

I’m locked in a lease til July and would really like to not have to pay for two apartments over the summer but I’ll do what I have to do if taking it’s required for me.

I believe the cut off is 508. It's a pass/fail course. Class attendance is required, almost every day in the summer from 2-5. I'd say make the most of it during the summer, do as much online material as you can. Trust me, it'll be difficult to study for the mcat during the fall or spring semester. The pace gradually picks up and free time slowly disappears.

Did anyone's app change from "received" to "reviewed"? Really curious to know if they've finally started reviewing apps. :nailbiting:

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    83 bytes · Views: 158
Hi everyone! Submitted my app last week but my LOR personnel does not include a science professor. I have one of my advisors and dean of the honors college write mine. 3.9 GPA and a 491 mcat. Do you think my stats set me back?

totally don't meant to sound rude but dang! 3.9 GPA and 491 MCAT?! Where are you're struggling with the MCAT? Test anxiety? From what I've seen they have a lot of "low GPA, high mcat" or "high GPA, low mcat" and then some with double "low GPA, low MCAT", but your GPA is so high I'm not too sure about it. How many times have you taken the MCAT if you don't mind me asking? I think if otherwise everything looks good (ECs etc), I'd just stick to studying for the MCAT and re-taking it, rather than spending a year in this program. But that's just my opinion.

Submitted my application today! Now it's just time to wait. In the meantime, I decided to join SDN to follow this thread and be with those in the same boat as myself. Good luck to everyone!

Did anyone's app change from "received" to "reviewed"? Really curious to know if they've finally started reviewing apps. :nailbiting:
This picture is coming up blank for me. Idk if anyone has tried looking at this picture. But last time I checked my status was still "completed" with a green circle and check mark under the student center tab and marked " submitted" on the actual application page . It did switch to " reviewed". When did you submit your application? ( I submitted Nov 17. Most letters Letters received in December. Last letter this month, but I read they consider it complete after two letters are received)

This picture is coming up blank for me. Idk if anyone has tried looking at this picture. But last time I checked my status was still "completed" with a green circle and check mark under the student center tab and marked " submitted" on the actual application page . It did switch to " reviewed". When did you submit your application? ( I submitted Nov 17. Most letters Letters received in December. Last letter this month, but I read they consider it complete after two letters are received)

oh shoot so they saw your app already!! From what someone told me, if you're accepted or rejected you'll hear from them pretty soon (within a week or two). If they put you on the "maybe" pile, then it'll be a while until you hear back cause they're saving your app to compare you to the rest of the applicant pool.

I submitted much later than you on January 14, 2019, but I had already sent all my transcripts and LORs so when I submitted and paid my app it was automatically marked as completed. It still just says "received" not "reviewed" so they're probably on Nov-Dec apps. I wonder how many they review per meeting. I called and the girl couldn't really give me a number.

Good luck to you!

oh shoot so they saw your app already!! From what someone told me, if you're accepted or rejected you'll hear from them pretty soon (within a week or two). If they put you on the "maybe" pile, then it'll be a while until you hear back cause they're saving your app to compare you to the rest of the applicant pool.

I submitted much later than you on January 14, 2019, but I had already sent all my transcripts and LORs so when I submitted and paid my app it was automatically marked as completed. It still just says "received" not "reviewed" so they're probably on Nov-Dec apps. I wonder how many they review per meeting. I called and the girl couldn't really give me a number.

Good luck to you!
My apologies I meant to state it did NOT switch to reviewed. hahah

From what I can tell by past years threads, the acceptances didn't start showing up until March. Has anyone seen earlier?

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Yea i just looked at the one from last year and the first person that typed that coveted " Accepted!" message did so on Feb 15 , 2018

Check the
UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2017-2018

Yea i just looked at the one from last year and the first person that typed that coveted " Accepted!" message did so on Feb 15 , 2018

Check the
UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2017-2018
never mind the name. Whoever named it, did so incorrectly.

I submitted my Application, rec letters, and transcript on 1/28. Mine still says received. Also, I submitted my letters through Interfolio. Did anyone else do that?

I submitted my Application, rec letters, and transcript on 1/28. Mine still says received. Also, I submitted my letters through Interfolio. Did anyone else do that?

Yes, I submitted through interfolio as well. I called just to double-check and they did receive them. Good luck to you!

for anyone who has submitted their app how long were your answers to the supplemental questions? and did you submit a personal statement?

Hey guys! Another applicant here.
Submitted on 1/16/19
Waiting on my last LOR to be submitted.
GPA: 3.3
Last 60 Hours: 3.5
MCAT: 511

Will be a frequent forum stalker. Good luck to everyone!

for anyone who has submitted their app how long were your answers to the supplemental questions? and did you submit a personal statement?

most were close to the limit, except for one there wasn't as much to say so I wrote about 500 words. I saw someone said they didn't write much and they were admitted, and someone else who was admitted told me she wrote close to limit for all of them so I don't think there's a magic number. As long as you're answering fully and getting your point across. I had a personal statement but the questions they asked covered a lot of what my statement was about and I didnt want to be repetitive so instead I just took the relevant parts from my statement and re-structured and elaborated as necessary. No personal statement submitted.

Same. I didn't write a whole lot, just enough to explain my points as thoroughly as possible. My longest essay was probably that statement about my experiences, around 700 words. Also, what do the trends look like for previous years as far as acceptance dates go? I've heard there are a few big waves of acceptances throughout March and April.

Let's kick this off!

I'm a current medsci and I'm willing to answer any questions you might have.

I had lower stats before applying, but I also applied twice. ugpa:3.1, mcat:500. That goes to say, things would always work out. Keep trying hard and you'll get to where you want to be!

Good luck!
If I remember right, it sounds like the program has students do some shadowing. Could you talk about what that schedule is like? Does it help with getting a letter of recommendation from a physician?

Applied 01/28 with a 3.67 and 497 MCAT; last 60 hours with a 3.86 GPA. I am afraid my MCAT will hold me back, but I have good ECs and strong letters. Think I have a shot?

Applied 01/28 with a 3.67 and 497 MCAT; last 60 hours with a 3.86 GPA. I am afraid my MCAT will hold me back, but I have good ECs and strong letters. Think I have a shot?

We have the same MCAT score :( they say 495 and up is competitive, but their average is 504. One of the admission reps told me they've accepted applicants with pretty low mcat scores, but they have other strong areas in their app. I'm so nervous!

If I remember right, it sounds like the program has students do some shadowing. Could you talk about what that schedule is like? Does it help with getting a letter of recommendation from a physician?

Yes, we are required to shadow a physician for 40 hours. The schedule is really up to you, some students did their's during the summer, some during the fall and some during the winter break. The deadline is usually before winter break. We are allowed to shadow any physician except an ER physician. As far as getting a letter of recommendation, you'll have to gauge your relationship with the physician.

Has anyone called to see if they've started reviewing apps? Or applied early and called to see if they're been reviewed? Anticipation is killing me AHH

For those of us that are applicants, do we apply for scholarships? Or is that something we wait for until we see if we're accepted?

For those of us that are applicants, do we apply for scholarships? Or is that something we wait for until we see if we're accepted?

I think you wait until you've been offered an acceptance, but @pathway2doc can surely help us with this cause I'm not sure. Also, are there a lot of scholarships out there for this? I remember one girl from the program said she got $30,000 in loans! scary!

Hey guys I’m working on finishing up my application and I’m confused where the essay portion and personal statement are in the application?

Hey guys I’m working on finishing up my application and I’m confused where the essay portion and personal statement are in the application?

Under "Supplemental Questions," they will ask you whether you have an undergraduate degree. When you answer, the essay boxes will open up. I don't believe a personal statement is required, but if you wanted to submit one you could attach it in "Upload Documents."

Has anyone called and asked when decisions were going to be released?

Reactions: 2 users