UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When was the start date for the Summer semester?

Also I am a current in-person cohort applicant and was wondering if there is an interview phase and how long it took you guys to hear back?
For us the summer semester began in early June, I believe the first or second week. Also, I don't think they do interviews for the MedSci program; at least they didn't for us last year. The first wave of acceptances came in the first week of April.

Members don't see this ad.

For us the summer semester began in early June, I believe the first or second week. Also, I don't think they do interviews for the MedSci program; at least they didn't for us last year. The first wave of acceptances came in the first week of April.
Thank you very much for your reply! I just got my acceptance letter today Woohoo! Any advice/opinions you have from the program. I have read from previous posts but since you are a current MedSci student I'd appreciate current input too!

Reactions: 1 user
When was the start date for the Summer semester?

Also I am a current in-person cohort applicant and was wondering if there is an interview phase and how long it took you guys to hear back?
Current in-person cohort student. First day of classes for us was on June 8, 2020. There isn't an interview phase. I applied a few days before the deadline and I think I heard back around 3 weeks ish.

Members don't see this ad :)
Current in-person cohort student. First day of classes for us was on June 8, 2020. There isn't an interview phase. I applied a few days before the deadline and I think I heard back around 3 weeks ish.
Thank you for your reply! I just got my acceptance Yesterday 3/26! How have you like the program so far and do you feel it has made you a more competitive applicant for pre-med/pre-dent ?(idk which one you chose)

Yay to those who were accepted!!! I'M SO EXCITED!! (and really nervous to go back to school LOL)

Another question LOL - is it better to apply to medical schools in the upcoming cycle? or wait until the program is over, apply, and have a gap year?? I've seen mixed thoughts on this..

annnnnd are there ways/time to volunteer while in the program??

Last edited:
Yay to those who were accepted!!! I'M SO EXCITED!! (and really nervous to go back to school LOL)

Another question LOL - is it better to apply to medical schools in the upcoming cycle? or wait until the program is over, apply, and have a gap year?? I've seen mixed thoughts on this..

waiting seems better, if you apply now then your fall semester grades would only get released in dec/jan and by then most TX IIs are already sent out

Thank you for your reply! I just got my acceptance Yesterday 3/26! How have you like the program so far and do you feel it has made you a more competitive applicant for pre-med/pre-dent ?(idk which one you chose)
I know this question wasn't directed to me, but I thought I'd chime in lol. With the program being mostly online, there have been a lot of challenges, but overall I think the program has been beneficial for me. I feel like I have a better foundation of the sciences, developed better study habits, and it has helped improved my application. My biggest problem was my science gpa, so the program has definitely helped a lot. The program also gives you a little bit of head start for med/dental school. I am pre-dental btw. The face-to-face cohort, if still partially online due to the pandemic, will be better for y'all because our class figured out most of the bugs/kinks.

I think it depends on your application and schools you apply to. Some schools, not all, will wait to see your fall semester grades before sending out interviews/acceptances. Since that is the case, don't be too disappointed if you need to reapply in the next cycle. Overall, it depends on your app, schools you want to apply to, and if you have money to spare to should you need to reapply.

There is definitely time to volunteer while in the program. However, if you are in this program to improve your grades, I would make that your main focus. If you decide to volunteer, I would do it during the summer semester. You can also sprinkle some throughout the fall and spring during the weeks where you have a little extra time in between exams.

I know this question wasn't directed to me, but I thought I'd chime in lol. With the program being mostly online, there have been a lot of challenges, but overall I think the program has been beneficial for me. I feel like I have a better foundation of the sciences, developed better study habits, and it has helped improved my application. My biggest problem was my science gpa, so the program has definitely helped a lot. The program also gives you a little bit of head start for med/dental school. I am pre-dental btw. The face-to-face cohort, if still partially online due to the pandemic, will be better for y'all because our class figured out most of the bugs/kinks.
Thank you very much for you insight! Just PM'd you:)

Does UNT Medical masters have any linkage to the medical school like if you meet certain marks within the program you get an interview, I just applied 3/31/2021. I know the program is well known but no where on the website does it say its connected to the medical school like LECOM or ARCOM do.

Does UNT Medical masters have any linkage to the medical school like if you meet certain marks within the program you get an interview, I just applied 3/31/2021. I know the program is well known but no where on the website does it say its connected to the medical school like LECOM or ARCOM do.
Good linkage to TCOM I believe, most students get interviews and about 50 spots in the entering M1 class are Med sci students.

Does anybody know why they are pushing the application date back. It was moved a couple of weeks and due to the ice storm which is fine. But they have moved it back 3 times and its now on April 15th. I Submitted my application in march. But why are they moving the applicant date back?
Also I know they still want to start in June, so I am confused as to why they are moving deadlines if they wont move start dates.

Does anybody know why they are pushing the application date back. It was moved a couple of weeks and due to the ice storm which is fine. But they have moved it back 3 times and its now on April 15th. I Submitted my application in march. But why are they moving the applicant date back?
Also I know they still want to start in June, so I am confused as to why they are moving deadlines if they wont move start dates.
Maybe they're having trouble filling the class/haven't got as many apps as they hoped

Members don't see this ad :)
How good is the linkage here? I've known 2 people that went here and neither of them are in medical school right now.

Accepted this afternoon! Applied 3/14. I was starting to get antsy with them pushing back the deadline but they are going through them!

How good is the linkage here? I've known 2 people that went here and neither of them are in medical school right now.
I'm in it currently if you have any more questions, but the trend over the past 3 years is that about 40-50 people matriculate into TCOM each year.

I'm in it currently if you have any more questions, but the trend over the past 3 years is that about 40-50 people matriculate into TCOM each year.
To add if I remember correctly the 40-50 number is roughly half MedSci being admitted during the program and half students applying after graduating.

Anyone have any idea of how many spots are left?

Reactions: 1 users
Do you feel it was worth doing the program vs doing a post bacc?

Depends on your situation. My sGPA was really lacking since I majored in exercise science and didn't do excellent in all my science classes. I definitely recommend the program since it pushed me to be a better student overall. It made me find out how to study a lot of information in a short amount of time.

Reactions: 1 users
anybody currently in the person cohort that remembers the exact length of the mcat course? I’m in the online and know that it starts June 1st but unsure of the ending date. Thanks!

anybody currently in the person cohort that remembers the exact length of the mcat course? I’m in the online and know that it starts June 1st but unsure of the ending date. Thanks!
Our first official TPR class was 6/10 and ended 8/14.

-Do you think they will push the start day back rather than starting in June 1 since they pushed the application deadline to 4/15?
-Do you think at this point they'll send any more acceptances or is end of April usually their cut off?

-Do you think they will push the start day back rather than starting in June 1 since they pushed the application deadline to 4/15?
-Do you think at this point they'll send any more acceptances or is end of April usually their cut off?
I asked about that and they said no they will start on time same as last year. They will accept people until the day of orientation.

As a TCOM student with many medsci friends, it will make you kickass in our curriculum considering you have the same lecturers/slides for some blocks first year. You also gain connections to research early and win the popularity contest when it comes to leadership roles. Medsci is basically ms1-lite, giving you a stronger foundation later especially for boards. I wish I had the opportunity to do this.

Does anyone have any insight on the master's program at UHCl which is the master of science in biological sciences with a specialization in pre-heatlh?

has anyone gotten into the online program?

i applied about a week ago.

how long did it take for you to hear back?

Before. They actually have the summer dedicated and require you to take kaplan course to prepare ! Good luck.
What happens if you already took the MCAT and have a good score? Do they still make you do the mcat prep?

Have you heard anything back yet? I also applied to the online cohort, but it was in late May.

yeah i got in around a week ago. it looks like this program accepts a lot of people.

more than 230 people b/c that's how many they usually accept someone said in this thread before?

That sounds almost exact to what I heard. I'm in the online facebook (yuck) group already and see about 40 people so far.

I'm most interested in how schools will perceive this online program in the future post-pandemic. It's extremely cheap and the remote is a huge draw. Every other SMP I looked at was 40-60K. This is net 13k or so (in-state).

I just hope schools don't say "Well, your program is online, and we don't prefer that...."

Does anyone know if we're able to take out federal aid to pay for the program? I have saved up for half of the program with my other savings depleted due to a medical emergency and don't think I'll be able to pay for the whole program out of pocket

do they send you an email acceptance? I'm still waiting to hear back from them. I applied on 5/18

Does anyone know if we're able to take out federal aid to pay for the program? I have saved up for half of the program with my other savings depleted due to a medical emergency and don't think I'll be able to pay for the whole program out of pocket
It says to apply for fafsa so presumably there is some aid

do they send you an email acceptance? I'm still waiting to hear back from them. I applied on 5/18
Yes I got mine by email and it also says accepted on the portal.

Last edited:
Can anyone please give me access to the MedSci Bible