UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UH is pretty affordable even without the grant, so the grant does help out a lot! I believe total tuition from fall-summer is approximately 15k and the grant for grad students that show need is 5k, so it covers about a third of the tuition cost.
Wow, I'm jealous. That seems like such a cool opportunity, especially being able to in-person, you'd create more relationships and get hands-on training. I haven't looked at their curriculum, but are the classes for both programs pretty similar?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on the acceptance! Yes! That's the program. They, unfortunately, do not have any sort of linkage to the new UH MD school; however, they are in the works of discussing it for the future. This year there is no interview/linkage to the MD school. I heard that our professors in the grad program are also professors for the MD school, but I'm not sure how accurate that is or how advantageous that really is.
When's your first day of class and when's your last day of class? $10k!! That's cheaper than UNT. UNT is $15k all in. Are you applying this cycle?

Hey does anybody know when the first fall semester for UNT's program ends, and when the spring semester will start? Thank you

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Lots of searching on google a couple months ago :) it looks like they just posted it to their website recently in the “catalog” section!
Thank you for the link! Very helpful, I saw that it is from December 5th to January 10th is winter break so our break a little bit over a month.

Lots of searching on google a couple months ago :) it looks like they just posted it to their website recently in the “catalog” section!
Good luck to you! Have you thought about sending a letter of intent? I know a few people have declined the offer.

Thank you for the link! Very helpful, I saw that it is from December 5th to January 10th is winter break so our break a little bit over a month.
No problem! Yes! It’s actually a long break! Its good if you were planning to take the mcat in January!

Does anyone know if there’s a group chat for the online program besides the Facebook group? Also has anything important been posted in the Facebook group? Sorry for bothering you guys, I don’t have any social media.
Nothing really has been posted. I had to recreate a FaceBook account myself. Perhaps a GroupMe might be better once classes start?

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys! For those of you that were accepted or that have done the program, a few questions:

1. Is your bill posted on? If so, do you see a laptop fee on there? I don't and was curious.

2. Have you heard anything about books? Program begins on August 17th and haven't heard of anything about books yet.

...Have you all heard anything aside from the initial acceptance?

Just had a few trainings to complete regarding COVID, HIPAA, etc. and setting up our emails via outlook. Haven’t seen anything about orientation and syllabi.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! For those of you that were accepted or that have done the program, a few questions:

1. Is your bill posted on? If so, do you see a laptop fee on there? I don't and was curious.

2. Have you heard anything about books? Program begins on August 17th and haven't heard of anything about books yet.

...Have you all heard anything aside from the initial acceptance?
My friend who’s accepted emailed them about books, and they mentioned that the majority are on their online library! Everything else will be known during orientation week, this upcoming week

Does anyone know what day of the week is orientation and the time? they have not mentioned anything about it. Thanks

Just had a few trainings to compete regarding COVID, HIPAA, etc. and setting up our emails via outlook. Haven’t seen anything about orientation and syllabi.
Thanks! I completely missed the link to set up an email accont.
My friend who’s accepted emailed them about books, and they mentioned that the majority are on their online library! Everything else will be known during orientation week, this upcoming week
Thanks!

Does anyone know what day of the week is orientation and the time? they have not mentioned anything about it. Thanks

They haven’t mentioned anything about the time/date of orientation. However, they did say we will receive instructions on how to set up canvas for orientation. Hopefully, we hear something tomorrow!

They haven’t mentioned anything about the time/date of orientation. However, they did say we will receive instructions on how to set up canvas for orientation. Hopefully, we hear something tomorrow!

Nothing yet. Did you guys get anything today.

Just received an email about orientation! Just a heads up!

Thanks, Dr. Afro! Got it! Does it look like there's only two classes at a time for you or nah? Does anyone know if it's just two classes at a time?
Thanks, Dr. Afro! Got it!

1. Does it look like there's only two classes at a time for you or do we all classes concurrently? I couldn't ascertain this from the materials.

2. Does anyone have a calendar?

3. Did we need to buy a macbook like previous classes? I didn't see any mentioning of that.

I have two classes as well. It may be beneficial considering the fact that some of us are working daily. If that is how it is structured, it’s awesome. Also, I do have calendar which shows when certain assignments are due. I do not know about MacBooks but believe (correct me if I’m wrong) that we will be able to complete our assessments via CANVAS.

I have two classes as well. It may be beneficial considering the fact that some of us are working daily. If that is how it is structured, it’s awesome. Also, I do have calendar which shows when certain assignments are due. I do not know about MacBooks but believe (correct me if I’m wrong) that we will be able to complete our assessments via CANVAS.
Dr. Afro, I am going to message you right now. Thank you. PM!

Has anyone gotten off the waitlist? I’m still waiting to hear back, but I know some people did get denied admission.

Hi guys! Does anyone know when orientation will start?

I just got accepted into U.N.T. Health Sciences online. What you're describing sounds amazing though. Do they have a guaranteed interview to UH Medical? Also, is this the program you're talking about M.S. in Biology with Graduate Certificate in Biomedical Sciences

Hey!

Congrats on getting into the program! I looked at the website and noticed the fully online option doesn't require MCAT scores? I wanted to ask if you know if they prefer scores or not?

Thanks!

copying pasting again cuz i posted in the old thread.

Howdy, another current Med sci here.

To everyone frustrated and anxious rn, its going to be ok. That being said, please dont only apply to 3- 4 postbacs. I personally applied to 10, and (being entirely truthful) I was admitted to all of them. I chose UNTHSC after talking to previous students, it really is a well established program. You dont want to rely on just 1-3 schools to give you a post bac acceptance, bc if you run the risk of not getting accepted… what are you going to do for an entire year???? Ofc, I completely get if that is not financially possible- but think hard about the consequences of only applying to a few and then not getting accepted, you may need to shell out even more in the future then. Here are my stats: 500 hours volunteering, 3.734 GPA, and 509 MCAT, 3 leadership positions. My friends in this program have as low as 3.2 GPA, and there are indeed some with 497 MCAT as well! So dont worry. I would say the people that need to be really careful are those that have a double whammy (aka low mcat and low gpa). Most have a really low gpa, with a strong mcat OR vice versa. My scores are pretty competitive, I just didnt apply correctly. But I am not lying to you when I am saying there are tons of students in here with lower scores than mine in gpa and mcat. Warning: be prepared to work your ass off in the summer if the MCAT is your weak point. I personally not a fan of the princeton course, but some professors are good (biology, CARS, etc). Your already paying money for it and if your below 508 you’ll be placed in there so might as well learn everything you can. Biostats and Epidemiology are the most frustrating courses. But i wouldn’t change attending here. Most of the time I study at the library and only go to my apartment to sleep. Im so glad i finally got the mcat out of the way. Fall wise its not hard material, but there is a lot of it, but just remember med school is going to be harder so you just need to stick it out. Btw unthsc library is amazing and the scenic views are to die for.

You’ll have access to housing lists, talk to previous med sci students, and the “bible” which is a compilation of resources past med sci have used to study for tests once added to the facebook group post acceptance. Best thing to do before entering this program is figuring out housing, and cultivating good stress/anxiety techniques early on. you'll need it. This program is doable- it is not overtly challenging but it will push you. This is not undergrad anymore. They'll be days your stressed out and sick of studying. But that is exactly whats going to happen in med school so this is your chance to prove you belong there. keep a positive mindset, surround yourself with positive students. Stay away from naysayers and people who put others down, and try not to get too drunk over the weekends. I love fort worth! its really nice here, and pretty.

I will say tho, there are a fair amount of us that low-key miss the first class rep but she got accepted into med school (luckyyyyy) during the summer and is probably killing it there as well. There were a couple others that got accepted during the summer, that will happen. The current one is doing a decent job, but the previous one was insanely on top of things and I feel like organization wise things would have been better if she was still here, and she cared a lot about her classmates. But thats just my opinion Im low-key her fan. But the point is make sure whoever you’re electing cares about the student body and does a really good job advocating + good at organizing/staying on top of ****. Both of ours have done well so far.

beware of this : people have been deleting **** from the bible, which is causing a headache, so dont be that person and do that. Its annoying and no one likes you if you get caught.

We have two former med sci that are attending TCOM that do a great job of hosting review sessions and creating practice tests. They are also absolutely incredible. (girl power)! I agree with all the complaints my med sci classmates have already stated on here. Epi is such a nuisance to deal with, so beware.

What I like most about the program is the supportive atmosphere. That being said there are a few obnoxious people (but they people like that everywhere) so be smart about who you spend your time with. There are indeed some big friend groups going on, and not everyone gets along. Do yourself a favor and exit out of these groups when drama goes down. You dont need that right now, and stay away from overly boastful people. aka Mr. and Mrs “i got a perfect cars score etc etc”.

Definitely stop paying attention to people who keep saying they have high mcat and gpa, it just stresses you out. They are on their own path, and you are on yours. People have subpar scores here, that is a reality. Work on yourself.

When your applying, aside from your stats, REALLY spend time on your essays and let your passion/reason why you want to attend UNTHSC med sci shine through. MD schools want proof you can handle the curriculum, and frankly if your goal is only MD your better off waiting until your done with the program (at least according to past med sci’s). Now thats not to say you won’t have any luck with MD if you apply the cycle of enrolling, but you’ll have to play the waiting game and really do well first semester. I will be waiting until the program is finished so ill apply the next cycle.

I take a day off to relax, in order to prevent burnout. Fort worth is a fun place to be, but the highways are annoying. There are a few out of state students as well.

I also agree with whoever said they take a holistic approach to accepting! it is true. I wouldn’t change my decision to come here :)

ok back to studying, hope this helps! sorry for the rambling-im really caffeinated :p

ADD ON: wait i just thought of a few advice. For those of you who are planning on applying this year. You HAVE to re-write your essays if you are a re-applicant (i know it sucks). Dont shoot yourself in the foot and submit the exact application. Re-phrasing and moving a few paragraphs isn't gonna help either. Because this will be annoying and takes a **** ton of time, start thinking about this NOW. Also prepare for the interview now (focus on ethical questions, they screw most people over due to not being prepared), invest in some really good business/business casual attire (you'll need it), and minimize volunteering/leadership (if you are not heavily lacking in this area). Priority: MCAT, then GPA, then clinical experience, then leadership, then everything else. Try not to freak about when you'll get your acceptance, it really doesn't mean anything when others get it and some dont. Call the office once in a while to see if you have everything submitted (not like every week- maybe once a month). Ok cool im done
Hi there. How do I get access to the Bible please?? I am in the online version of the program. Thank you.

Howdy, everyone!

I'm a current MedSci student and wanted to get an early start on this post for potential applicants to ask questions.
Please let me know if there are any questions you may have!
HI, how do I get access to the Bible? Thank you!

Hi, I was wondering if any current students had some sort of timeline that they could give me in regards to applying for medical school. Do y'all wait until you complete the program and then apply or do students normally apply before they even begin the program? Also, I know applications open in November, but is it okay to submit my MCAT score at a later date? I'm not taking it until January 2021.

Does this program have linkage? I don't seem to see anything about that. Thanks in advance

hello everyone :happy:

i plan on applying for the online fall 2021 semester!! unfortunately i had delays with getting accommodations for my MCAT so i had to push back everything!!

is there an estimated date for when this particular application will open?? i'm just trying to get a more organized plan/timeline so i can prepare all of the paperwork

hello everyone :happy:

i plan on applying for the online fall 2021 semester!! unfortunately i had delays with getting accommodations for my MCAT so i had to push back everything!!

is there an estimated date for when this particular application will open?? i'm just trying to get a more organized plan/timeline so i can prepare all of the paperwork

same, also interested in the cohort option. having a hard time finding the app for that and not certain if it is 11/15 for both applications.

same, also interested in the cohort option. having a hard time finding the app for that and not certain if it is 11/15 for both applications.

Hey I was thinking maybe we could create a groupme or groupchat for those who are applying 2021 cycle. I don't get on here that often and I think it would be awesome to keep each other updated with due dates and application information using a different means of communicating :)

For those who are applying 2021 application cycle, i have created a groupme for those who are interested to join. We can keep each other updated with due dates and application materials. We are in this together :) The link is below!

Maybe a stupid question but where even is the online application that was supposed to open today, i feel like i've looked everywhere

Maybe a stupid question but where even is the online application that was supposed to open today, i feel like i've looked everywhere
I also looked today on the website, but I don't believe it's open yet for some reason

Hi, I wanted to apply to this program but I was confused as to whether it offers linkage to medical schools in Texas? Like some amps offer automatic interviews or anything of that sort? I've searched everywhere but I can't find the answer to this.

Hi, I wanted to apply to this program but I was confused as to whether it offers linkage to medical schools in Texas? Like some amps offer automatic interviews or anything of that sort? I've searched everywhere but I can't find the answer to this.
Unfortunately, no official linkages.

Does anyone know the deadline for the application? I can't seem to find a January MCAT test date so i might have to take it in march and wanted to know if it'll be possible for me to apply this cycle (for the cohort- in-person version).

Do you guys know anything about the UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences ONLINE program?

I was supposed to take the MCAT in Jan but I have to push it back due to an emergency. Since I won't have an MCAT score by March, I won't be able to apply to the UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences in person program. I would like to apply to the online program but I have heard some negative things so I wanted some more information. Thank you guys!

Do you guys know anything about the UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences ONLINE program?

I was supposed to take the MCAT in Jan but I have to push it back due to an emergency. Since I won't have an MCAT score by March, I won't be able to apply to the UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences in person program. I would like to apply to the online program but I have heard some negative things so I wanted some more information. Thank you guys!
So with the online program, you take all your exams through Lockdown Browser instead of the proctoring software that the in person program uses. This past fall, both the in person and online cohorts were all online. The in person cohort is scheduled to return to campus for lab only, but everything else will be online. The lectures are all asynchronous except for some team based learning activities for the in person cohort. If I'm not mistaken, the online cohort does this on their own time.

It is somewhat frustrating to receive the learning materials online, especially if you signed up for the in person program, but it's doable. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
So with the online program, you take all your exams through Lockdown Browser instead of the proctoring software that UNTHSC the in person program uses. This past fall, both the in person and online cohorts were all online. The in person cohort is scheduled to return to campus for lab only, but everything else will be online. The lectures are all asynchronous except for some team based learning activities for the in person cohort. If I'm not mistaken, the online cohort does this on their own time.

It is somewhat frustrating to receive the learning materials online, especially if you signed up for the in person program, but it's doable. Hope this helps.
thank you so much!

Hiii to current Med Sci students,
I was wondering, I have a fairly low GPA 3.3 and low MCAT 501. If I get into this program, would you recommend retaking the MCAT before, during like winter break (?), or after the program?

Last edited:
Before. They actually have the summer dedicated and require you to take kaplan course to prepare ! Good luck.

When was the start date for the Summer semester?

Also I am a current in-person cohort applicant and was wondering if there is an interview phase and how long it took you guys to hear back?