UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+1. Do you know where the link is to accept? I can't find it anywhere on my student portal.
Congratulations!!! Do you mind sharing your stats please?

Members don't see this ad.

I just saw on my portal that I was accepted. If you click on the blue circle next to the status it states we will receive an email with instructions to accept the offer.
Congratulations!!
Do you mind sharing your stats please?

congratulations to everyone who has been accepted!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted as well! “Application under review” was present for about 2 weeks or so (I know because I checked almost everyday ). You can accept admission by typing “accept” in the search box on top right section of student portal. After that, you’ll see the second option “Accept/Deny Admission.” Hope this helps.

Accepted as well! “Application under review” was present for about 2 weeks or so (I know because I checked almost everyday ). You can accept admission by typing “accept” in the search box on top right section of student portal. After that, you’ll see the second option “Accept/Deny Admission.” Hope this helps.
Did you get an email?

Congratulations to all those who have been accepted. If you feel comfortable to share your stats please, this helps the future applicants.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you this helped!!

Did you get an email?
hey, i got an email july 29th at 4pm stating that i was accepted into the program and i would need to accept/deny the admission, and they would send me info when i actually accept. i hope this helps.

Accepted today! I received an email yesterday and my portal updated at that time. I was under review for only a few days, with my status changing last Friday. Now waiting to be added to the Facebook group!

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted today! I received an email yesterday and my portal updated at that time. I was under review for only a few days, with my status changing last Friday. Now waiting to be added to the Facebook group!

For those accepted, are you all applying to medical school for this cycle to matriculate 2021 - 2022? If so, how are you feeling about the program ending in August and potential conflicts with medical school?

For those who haven’t heard anything yet, they said it would be another 1-2 weeks.

For those accepted, are you all applying to medical school for this cycle to matriculate 2021 - 2022? If so, how are you feeling about the program ending in August and potential conflicts with medical school?
I’m apply next year for 2022 entry.

I will also be applying for 2022 admission. Gotta beef up my app

By chance, for those accepted, were you already admitted into another program and dropped it for this one? If so, why? My biggest concern is not being able to be hands on, as well as being the first class, we will essentially be guinea pigs.

By chance, for those accepted, were you already admitted into another program and dropped it for this one? If so, why? My biggest concern is not being able to be hands on, as well as being the first class, we will essentially be guinea pigs.

I was not admitted into another program. I had researched this program and had spoken to a UNTHSC advisor prior to applying for medical school. Yes, we may not be able to be physically present in the cadaver lab BUT if we essentially do well, medical schools may see that we still tried given the circumstances.

I was not admitted into another program. I had researched this program and had spoken to a UNTHSC advisor prior to applying for medical school. Yes, we may not be able to be physically present in the cadaver lab BUT if we essentially do well, medical schools may see that we still tried given the circumstances.
Are any of you TX residents doing this problem?

Can't say for sure about the summer. I wouldn't be surprised though, it would be pretty easy to move the summer fully online.

For the normal online courses: They usually consist of assigned readings, discussion board posts, homework/group projects, quizzes and exams (the exams were always in-person, on campus). Usually they'll have different modules you have to get through in a certain amount of time that open each week. Pretty standard.

For our current courses that were moved online: We get the same PowerPoints we always do covering the material, along with new or old recordings of the lectures. We take quizzes and exams using a program that locks down the device and records your testing session. Mostly runs the same as a typical in-person course. We have had a few of our quizzes exchanged for discussion board assignments, but they have been easy and helpful. For our anatomy lab, we have videos of the professor walking us through what we would have normally seen.

Hope that helps :)

Hi there!

1. Do you remember when the summer classes ended last year? Did they end in July or August?
2. Are the classes self paced - e.g. can I finish the coursework early?

Trying to figure out how to finish this program next summer and start medical school. Thank you!

Hi there!

1. Do you remember when the summer classes ended last year? Did they end in July or August?
2. Are the classes self paced - e.g. can I finish the coursework early?

Trying to figure out how to finish this program next summer and start medical school. Thank you!
I read on other UNTHSC forums that some people just drop when they find out they got in!

Hi!

If I remember correctly, summer courses ended around the first week of August. Biostats was self-paced to some extent, but you still had to take tests on a set schedule. So, there wasn't a way to finish early.

If you're asking because you received a Med school acceptance, or might, after the semester starts, the program would encourage you to just drop.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Even if it's toward the end of the program? E.g. that's my last class left?

I was wondering if that might be your concern - It's hard to say. This will be a new problem that comes with the changes they made to the program this year. MedScis have never ended on a summer semester before.

The program director also changed this year, so we can't be sure how they'll handle it. Hopefully, they would have thought about students being in this situation already. Sorry I don't have a better answer :(

I was wondering if that might be your concern - It's hard to say. This will be a new problem that comes with the changes they made to the program this year. MedScis have never ended on a summer semester before.

The program director also changed this year, so we can't be sure how they'll handle it. Hopefully, they would have thought about students being in this situation already. Sorry I don't have a better answer :(

Thanks!

1. Who is the new director and who is the biostatistics professor typically? I may email them.
2. Did you ever get a calendar for the year? We got an email acceptance but nothing else

Thank you!

Last edited:
I was accepted into this program (curriculum for online education below), and I share the same concerns as @premedhopefulwifey. Are all of these courses mandatory towards completion of the degree? For example, if I do not need BMSC 5202: MCAT Preparation, can I forgo that? @Awesome! informed us based on info provided to them from the program that the summer term ends in July. @AnotherCatProfile informed us it will not be possible to complete earlier than the summer term. Is this a correct summary of information?

I'
Med-Sci-Online-5.png

I was accepted into this program (curriculum for online education below), and I share the same concerns as @premedhopefulwifey. Are all of these courses mandatory towards completion of the degree? For example, if I do not need BMSC 5202: MCAT Preparation, can I forgo that? @Awesome! informed us based on info provided to them from the program that the summer term ends in July. @AnotherCatProfile informed us it will not be possible to complete earlier than the summer term. Is this a correct summary of information?

I'View attachment 314947

This is something I've also discussed with @CoronaryCabbage . I think the summer isa little unclear. From what I understand, the summer should be done by mid-June/July, but Biostatistics might go over into August.

I just got an email that i’m waitlisted

I'View attachment 314947
It’s my understanding based on the review of conversation in this application cycle and last year’s that if you have MCAT score of 508 or above, you do not need to take MCAT prep classes. That can lead to finishing it in July. But I don’t know if same can be said about other courses.

Do y'all know what the advising is like for this program?

I got accepted into the online program; however, I also am considering accepting the UH M.S. in Biomed Sciences program over this one because it offers a grant to grad students, offers a research opportunity, a pre-health committee to use for a committee letter and help with applications, and I have spoken to several people from the previous UH M.S. class and they all said the faculty was extremely supportive and very willing to write letters of rec. For those that are on this thread who have gone through the UNT M.S. program, what are your thoughts? would you choose the program again? is there any disadvantage to it being online? and did you feel like there were plenty of resources and support to help you succeed if you needed it?

Howdy, everyone!

I'm a current MedSci student and wanted to get an early start on this post for potential applicants to ask questions.
Please let me know if there are any questions you may have!
Hello! I need some advice. I got accepted into the online program; however, I also am considering accepting the UH M.S. in Biomed Sciences program over this one because it offers a grant to grad students, offers a research opportunity, a pre-health committee to use for a committee letter and help with applications, and I have spoken to several people from the previous UH M.S. class and they all said the faculty was extremely supportive and very willing to write letters of rec. For those that are on this thread who have gone through the UNT M.S. program, what are your thoughts? would you choose the program again? is there any disadvantage to it being online? and did you feel like there were plenty of resources and support to help you succeed if you needed it?

I got accepted into the online program; however, I also am considering accepting the UH M.S. in Biomed Sciences program over this one because it offers a grant to grad students, offers a research opportunity, a pre-health committee to use for a committee letter and help with applications, and I have spoken to several people from the previous UH M.S. class and they all said the faculty was extremely supportive and very willing to write letters of rec. For those that are on this thread who have gone through the UNT M.S. program, what are your thoughts? would you choose the program again? is there any disadvantage to it being online? and did you feel like there were plenty of resources and support to help you succeed if you needed it?
I feel like between both the UNTHSC and UH M.S., UH M.S. may be better off. Both are online. But it seems like the UH M.S. may give you more, like you mentioned.. a grant (WTF this is awesome), research, LOR, and committee letters. Considering this is the first time UNTHSC is doing online, and we really have no information about anything, (like how we would create connections with professors via online since it's "you do the work when you have time"??), I would do UH M.S. Shoot, I wish I had known about this program previously! It seems like a really good one! Is it affiliated with a medical school?

I feel like between both the UNTHSC and UH M.S., UH M.S. may be better off. Both are online. But it seems like the UH M.S. may give you more, like you mentioned.. a grant (WTF this is awesome), research, LOR, and committee letters. Considering this is the first time UNTHSC is doing online, and we really have no information about anything, (like how we would create connections with professors via online since it's "you do the work when you have time"??), I would do UH M.S. Shoot, I wish I had known about this program previously! It seems like a really good one! Is it affiliated with a medical school?
I agree with you. Yes, UH has a new Med School with their first admitting class in August 2020 but there is no linkage.
Houston offers a thriving Medical experience with 3 med schools( Baylor, McGovern and UH) and 2 more in 50 mile radius( Texas A&M and UTMB).

Hello! I need some advice. I got accepted into the online program; however, I also am considering accepting the UH M.S. in Biomed Sciences program over this one because it offers a grant to grad students, offers a research opportunity, a pre-health committee to use for a committee letter and help with applications, and I have spoken to several people from the previous UH M.S. class and they all said the faculty was extremely supportive and very willing to write letters of rec. For those that are on this thread who have gone through the UNT M.S. program, what are your thoughts? would you choose the program again? is there any disadvantage to it being online? and did you feel like there were plenty of resources and support to help you succeed if you needed it?

I just got accepted into U.N.T. Health Sciences online. What you're describing sounds amazing though. Do they have a guaranteed interview to UH Medical? Also, is this the program you're talking about M.S. in Biology with Graduate Certificate in Biomedical Sciences

I just got accepted into U.N.T. Health Sciences online. What you're describing sounds amazing though. Do they have a guaranteed interview to UH Medical? Also, is this the program you're talking about M.S. in Biology with Graduate Certificate in Biomedical Sciences
Congrats on the acceptance! Yes! That's the program. They, unfortunately, do not have any sort of linkage to the new UH MD school; however, they are in the works of discussing it for the future. This year there is no interview/linkage to the MD school. I heard that our professors in the grad program are also professors for the MD school, but I'm not sure how accurate that is or how advantageous that really is.

Last edited:
That is a very good point about this being the first time UNTHSC is doing online. I know! the resources seem abundant!!! The UH MS does not have an official linkage with the MD school. When I inquired about that, the faculty director said they are in the works of offering that in the future, but for now, they are possibly offering interships/research with the MD school (most likely covid-dependent). I was able to find a research opportunity during the summer that would count towards my research credit for the program, but I could also continue to do this remotely if I chose the online UNTHSC program. I still, however, really like the support and resources offered at UH as well as that grant!!! UNT's MS does not have a linkage either right? I asked and they said no interview is offered.

Yes! That's the program. They, unfortunately, do not have any sort of linkage to the new UH MD school; however, they are in the works of discussing it for the future. This year there is no interview/linkage to the MD school. I heard that our professors in the grad program are also professors for the MD school, but I'm not sure how accurate that is or how advantageous that really is.
Hum... if that's the case, I think that'd be really beneficial. They'd know your name already, and that may give you some clout for the school when you apply. Are you in the Houston area? Is it only online due to COVID, or will they have an in-person option later when COVID slows down?

That is a very good point about this being the first time UNTHSC is doing online. I know! the resources seem abundant!!! The UH MS does not have an official linkage with the MD school. When I inquired about that, the faculty director said they are in the works of offering that in the future, but for now, they are possibly offering interships/research with the MD school (most likely covid-dependent). I was able to find a research opportunity during the summer that would count towards my research credit for the program, but I could also continue to do this remotely if I chose the online UNTHSC program. I still, however, really like the support and resources offered at UH as well as that grant!!! UNT's MS does not have a linkage either right? I asked and they said no interview is offered.
No, unfortunately UNTHSC doesn't have a linkage either. So no guarantee for both programs. Is the grant pretty substantial? And would it go towards whatever you choose?

Hum... if that's the case, I think that'd be really beneficial. They'd know your name already, and that may give you some clout for the school when you apply. Are you in the Houston area? Is it only online due to COVID, or will they have an in-person option later when COVID slows down?
I am actually in the Dallas area at the moment and will most likely stay here until we do in-person classes. It is only online due to COVID, but hopefully, things start to return to a new normal next semester and we can do in-person!

No, unfortunately UNTHSC doesn't have a linkage either. So no guarantee for both programs. Is the grant pretty substantial? And would it go towards whatever you choose?
UH is pretty affordable even without the grant, so the grant does help out a lot! I believe total tuition from fall-summer is approximately 15k and the grant for grad students that show need is 5k, so it covers about a third of the tuition cost.

Another current MedSci student here! I remember having lots of questions about the program so feel free to join in the discussion or send me a pm.