This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carterjt47

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does applying disadvantaged on app increases your chances of acceptance or receiving a scholarship?

Any URM who applied disadvantaged and got accepted to schools,do you think that claiming disadvantaged on app somewhat helped in getting you accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

Does applying disadvantaged on app increases your chances of acceptance or receiving a scholarship?

Any URM who applied disadvantaged and got accepted to schools,do you think that claiming disadvantaged on app somewhat helped in getting you accepted?
I don't think it helps significantly it only paints a better picture of who you are to schools. Note being disadvantaged should only apply if your education up to high school was severely affected by your socioeconomic status. My family was dirt poor in the 3rd world country I was born and raised but I did well enough in my studies to attend a good high school so I didn't think I could put down that I was disadvantaged. I don't think putting it or not will affect your application much.
Also it will not affect the scholarship you received because the timeline for being disadvantaged is up to high school, while scholarships are based on your parents most recent tax returns.

I think this status made me eligible for school subsidized loans but these were very school specific. The disadvantaged status is to provide more explanation of uncommon challenges you went through. The only advantage is that it can provide better context to your app.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's hard to say if I was disadvantaged. When I was a little kid, my dad was only making 75k a year. Now he makes 230k and it's hard entering that ito AMCAS when they ask for the majority of your life lol

I did disadvantageous because until the end of first grade I lived outside of Chicago (like 13 miles). My elementary education we didn't have any money for books. When I moved out to the burbs, I was so behind. One of my sisters ran away from home. I have all these half cousins I don't know. Besides my parents and siblings, a huge chunk of my family lives in poverty (dad side).

My aunt and uncle abuse illicit drugs like crack and heroin. Are in and out of prison. My sister is bipolar and an alcoholic and recently had her kids taken form her. So that affects my parents schedule and mine bc I have to act as a guardian to them sometimes. At one point they were homeless/in a shelter. I've been a passenger to her drunk driving.

I also attended the university of Missouri and was there for all the protests. I was a senior at the time. My siblings and I are first generation college graduates.

So I don't know. I don't think I'm personally disadvantaged but my life has been affected directly by those close to me who are because I'm pulled in and involved.

It's hard to say if I was disadvantaged. When I was a little kid, my dad was only making 75k a year. Now he makes 230k and it's hard entering that ito AMCAS when they ask for the majority of your life lol

I did disadvantageous because until the end of first grade I lived outside of Chicago (like 13 miles). My elementary education we didn't have any money for books. When I moved out to the burbs, I was so behind. One of my sisters ran away from home. I have all these half cousins I don't know. Besides my parents and siblings, a huge chunk of my family lives in poverty (dad side).

My aunt and uncle abuse illicit drugs like crack and heroin. Are in and out of prison. My sister is bipolar and an alcoholic and recently had her kids taken form her. So that affects my parents schedule and mine bc I have to act as a guardian to them sometimes. At one point they were homeless/in a shelter. I've been a passenger to her drunk driving.

I also attended the university of Missouri and was there for all the protests. I was a senior at the time. My siblings and I are first generation college graduates.

So I don't know. I don't think I'm personally disadvantaged but my life has been affected directly by those close to me who are because I'm pulled in and involved.
By the standards they set that's not being disadvantaged. All of these hardships should be listed on secondaries when they ask about challenges you over come but does not apply to the disadvantaged category

Reactions: 5 users
By the standards they set that's not being disadvantaged. All of these hardships should be listed on secondaries when they ask about challenges you over come but does not apply to the disadvantaged category
Ok because when I clicked the thing, it had immediate family members under it too and I was confused what they were looking for. Then I googled it and it made me confused

Ok because when I clicked the thing, it had immediate family members under it too and I was confused what they were looking for. Then I googled it and it made me confused
The diadvantaged category looks at your life from 0-18, mostly on the socioeconomic side of things that affected your education during that time. It is not a place where to put sob stories that is what the secondary is for.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel like I'm not reading the graph right despite the fact it's very simple. So my dad is in an executive position, but he only has an associates

Stahp! You are not and you were never disadvantaged. Sorry but issues pertaining to extended family members does not factor into whether you are disadvantaged. Making "only $75k" a year places your dad in the top 25 percentile of household income. If your dad only has an associates AMCAS will classify you as socioeconomically disadvantaged but i dont think talking abut exteneed family members makes a compelling case.

Reactions: 5 users
"Immediate family: If you have a situation involving your immediate family that affected your educational opportunities or social circumstances, you can self-designate as disadvantaged."

According to AMCAS, I very well can. My sister is immediate family. Her situation is still ongoing. And in the past, we did receive federal assistance. Now that's no longer the case because my dad makes more than enough money. 230k plus now, but that was probably only within the last 7-10 years. I'm 23 now.

I don't think having an income below 24k is the only thing that goes for being disadvantaged. I'll let the schools decide, but thanks.

Last edited:
Does AMCAS not take into account where you live though...? In some metropolitan areas, 75K is not that much, especially when you take into account the number of members in a family.

They do ask what type of environment you grew up in and the population. I have no clue how they factor that information. The most important determinant of your SES status is the education level of your parents and their income.

"Immediate family: If you have a situation involving your immediate family that affected your educational opportunities or social circumstances, you can self-designate as disadvantaged."

According to AMCAS, I very well can. My sister is immediate family. Her situation is still ongoing. And in the past, we did receive federal assistance. Now that's no longer the case because my dad makes more than enough money. 230k plus now, but that was probably only within the last 7-10 years. I'm 23 now.

I don't think having an income below 24k is the only thing that goes for being disadvantaged. I'll let the schools decide, but thanks.
Nothing stinks more than someone trying to game the system. OP this might backfire on you and the benefits not worth the risk

Reactions: 4 users
Nothing stinks more than someone trying to game the system. OP this might backfire on you and the benefits not worth the risk
I see what you mean. Idk it's like muddy territory because financially everything is solid, but when you factor in my dad feeling responsible for his siblings are trying to divide our/his money among people who aren't immediates it's a strain.

I think the biggest thing is my sister though. Because I've had to call off work or miss it because of my nephews or sister going off on a drunken binge.

But I think I can always put that in a secondary and they could read that and make their own evaluation

Edit: better to be safe than sorry

Members don't see this ad :)

Be careful when you write your disadvantaged statement. Make sure you're being clear about what happen IN YOUR household from 0-18. They don't want to hear about the rest of the stuff you mentioned in THAT part. You don't ever want to seem like you're reaching.

I see what you mean. Idk it's like muddy territory because financially everything is solid, but when you factor in my dad feeling responsible for his siblings are trying to divide our/his money among people who aren't immediates it's a strain.

I think the biggest thing is my sister though. Because I've had to call off work or miss it because of my nephews or sister going off on a drunken binge.

But I think I can always put that in a secondary and they could read that and make their own evaluation

Edit: better to be safe than sorry

If your dad made 75k and gave away half of it to family members each year, you may have a case.

Unless the issues with your sister happened when you were ages 0-18 year old, I don't see this looking right to adcoms.

YES, there's always the secondary! And you're going to get so many, believe me! You'll be sick of writing essays!

Be careful when you write your disadvantaged statement. Make sure you're being clear about what happen IN YOUR household from 0-18. They don't want to hear about the rest of the stuff you mentioned in THAT part. You don't ever want to seem like you're reaching.

If your dad made 75k and gave away half of it to family members each year, you may have a case.

Unless the issues with your sister happened when you were ages 0-18 year old, I don't see this looking right to adcoms.

YES, there's always the secondary! And you're going to get so many, believe me! You'll be sick of writing essays!
I know he would cosign apartments for my aunt and uncle (they lived separately), help my grandma with healthcare bills and her apartment, our own mortgage, and my sister's schooling (two got full rides to NIU)

Alternatively he would give them money if they asked for it, which was often. Idk dollar amounts and Chicago inner city prices so that's something I'd have to discuss with him

I know he would cosign apartments for my aunt and uncle (they lived separately), help my grandma with healthcare bills and her apartment, our own mortgage, and my sister's schooling (two got full rides to NIU)

Alternatively he would give them money if they asked for it, which was often. Idk dollar amounts and Chicago inner city prices so that's something I'd have to discuss with him

It can be worth discussing with him if you truly feel those instances caused your household to struggle financially and therefore your primary/secondary education suffered and did not prepare you for college.

It can be worth discussing with him if you truly feel those instances caused your household to struggle financially and therefore your primary/secondary education suffered and did not prepare you for college.
My two oldest sisters got free rides. My other sister didn't go to college. I got instate tuition (50% reduction) and my brother got nothing. Neither of us had a saved up college fun and our parents just paid as we went along. I attended a university I didn't apply to or want to go to, but I'm glad I went there in the end. I loved the school. I went to that school over my number one choice because if I went to my #1, my parents would have run out of money

I'm still on the fence about being disadvantaged but I'll probably go with not. Just because the school can make that assessment based on any secondaries etc.

On another note, is being a first generation college student considered disadvantaged? Or is AMCAS just looking for economically?

My two oldest sisters got free rides. My other sister didn't go to college. I got instate tuition (50% reduction) and my brother got nothing. Neither of us had a saved up college fun and our parents just paid as we went along. I attended a university I didn't apply to or want to go to, but I'm glad I went there in the end. I loved the school. I went to that school over my number one choice because if I went to my #1, my parents would have run out of money

I'm still on the fence about being disadvantaged but I'll probably go with not. Just because the school can make that assessment based on any secondaries etc.

On another note, is being a first generation college student considered disadvantaged? Or is AMCAS just looking for economically?

It is one of the factors. Parental education attainment, household income 0-18 and quality of HS, I believe are the three things.

Yeah @Kathudoo , you are not disadvantage in my opinion.
I was raised by a single parent, she went through an abusive relationship with my dad before they separated and she only had an associate when I was between the age of 0-18. My mom was not even making half of 75k and she was still helping immediate family members. Like @Chelsea FC said, this could turn against you.

Last edited:
Hey guys!

I'm still on the fence as to whether I should apply disadvantaged or not. I'd like to share my story quickly and get opinions on whether I should apply disadvantaged or just save it for secondaries.

I was disadvantaged until the summer before 8th grade when my parents separated. My mother, sister, and I moved to Indiana to live with my maternal grandparents while my mother got thing in order to be able to get a house (she was a stay at home mom and she had no source of income). The 3 of us had 1 room between us in the house. 3 months after we moved, my sister had a stroke which prevented my mother from getting a job. We were able to get a house with the divorce settlement and moved out of my grandparents. My mother, however, still was not able to get a job. Long story short, we had no income from 8th grade until my sophomore year of college when my mother was finally able to get a job. I did work my junior year of high school, so that I was able to buy a phone and pay the bill myself but I didn't really NEED to work. Overall, the majority of my life I wasn't disadvantaged, but from about 13 even through now I would classify as disadvantaged.

So yeah, any suggestions on how I should proceed with my application?

Thank you so much!!

Hey guys!

I'm still on the fence as to whether I should apply disadvantaged or not. I'd like to share my story quickly and get opinions on whether I should apply disadvantaged or just save it for secondaries.

I was disadvantaged until the summer before 8th grade when my parents separated. My mother, sister, and I moved to Indiana to live with my maternal grandparents while my mother got thing in order to be able to get a house (she was a stay at home mom and she had no source of income). The 3 of us had 1 room between us in the house. 3 months after we moved, my sister had a stroke which prevented my mother from getting a job. We were able to get a house with the divorce settlement and moved out of my grandparents. My mother, however, still was not able to get a job. Long story short, we had no income from 8th grade until my sophomore year of college when my mother was finally able to get a job. I did work my junior year of high school, so that I was able to buy a phone and pay the bill myself but I didn't really NEED to work. Overall, the majority of my life I wasn't disadvantaged, but from about 13 even through now I would classify as disadvantaged.

Thank you so much!!
I wouldn't put disadvantaged down. But would mention this in a secondary essay

Hey guys!

Thank you so much!!

I would vote no as well because it was for 5 out of 18 years and although your mom didn't have a job, the income of the entire household counts. You said you didn't HAVE to work in HS either (even with your mom not). If you feel as if your circumstances interfered with you getting a sound education than mark it and explain that time period.

I'm guessing HS is high school?

I feel like catfish for dinner.
Just the problem filling out amcas is telling. How do you end up going to a college you didn't apply to, or want to go to. Living outside of Chicago, Aunts and uncles on drugs, no money for books? making 230k a year for last 7-10 years and in a constant state of confusion. Come on people

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't put disadvantaged down. But would mention this in a secondary essay
I would vote no as well because it was for 5 out of 18 years and although your mom didn't have a job, the income of the entire household counts. You said you didn't HAVE to work in HS either (even with your mom not). If you feel as if your circumstances interfered with you getting a sound education than mark it and explain that time period.

Thanks for the thoughts! I'm not sure if I really summarized my financial situation correctly. I didn't have health insurance until I was college and it's medicaid, I qualified for free-lunch in middle school and high school, we've had our utilized shut off because of failure to pay, I have a full financial aid scholarship to my university. As far as the job, I said didn't need it because I didn't really need a cell phone, but I wanted one and the only way was to get a job. We were under the federal guidelines for poverty and all that and I did get approved for the FAP with AAMC.

I was never one to complain about my situation or ask for extra help because of it. I realized me getting a full ride to school put me way ahead of other people and I found out I was going to get it my sophomore year of high school. My educational opportunities did suffer when I moved to Indiana because the high school I was suppose to go to in Michigan is one of the most highly awarded in the state. The point of the disadvantaged essay isn't to talk about hypotheticals right? Because I did end up at a pretty great college and everything worked out and I'm not sure I can say that I'm worse off because of my situation.

So I think I'm definitely leaning towards not applying disadvantaged, but talking about lessons learned from being poor and not having access to healthcare and such. Also will me being approved for FAP show up on their end when I apply?

Thanks again for your thoughts! All my friends aren't even close to being in my financial situation and such so it's hard to bounce questions off them.

Thanks for the thoughts! I'm not sure if I really summarized my financial situation correctly. I didn't have health insurance until I was college and it's medicaid, I qualified for free-lunch in middle school and high school, we've had our utilized shut off because of failure to pay, I have a full financial aid scholarship to my university. As far as the job, I said didn't need it because I didn't really need a cell phone, but I wanted one and the only way was to get a job. We were under the federal guidelines for poverty and all that and I did get approved for the FAP with AAMC.

I was never one to complain about my situation or ask for extra help because of it. I realized me getting a full ride to school put me way ahead of other people and I found out I was going to get it my sophomore year of high school. My educational opportunities did suffer when I moved to Indiana because the high school I was suppose to go to in Michigan is one of the most highly awarded in the state. The point of the disadvantaged essay isn't to talk about hypotheticals right? Because I did end up at a pretty great college and everything worked out and I'm not sure I can say that I'm worse off because of my situation.

So I think I'm definitely leaning towards not applying disadvantaged, but talking about lessons learned from being poor and not having access to healthcare and such. Also will me being approved for FAP show up on their end when I apply?

Thanks again for your thoughts! All my friends aren't even close to being in my financial situation and such so it's hard to bounce questions off them.

I would explain it this way instead of the first way. You don't need to discuss your college fin aid. The app will ask you how you paid for college in another part.

It can possibly help but not replace a low GPA/MCAT score.

Did you end up applying disadvantaged btw?