UT houston and galveston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dookbloo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,
sorry for asking this again, but i didnt get a reply earlier, so i figured id give it another shot. anyway, ive heard that these 2 both give interviews based solely on numbers (some sort of formula?). does anyone have any idea if this is true and what it might be. i still havent heard a word from either of them, and im a little surprised. is my gpa too low? (3.35 from dook and a 35q). i know there are very few slots left, so im kind of hoping to hear from at least 1. also, any ideas on the last interview dates? thanks and goodnight

Members don't see this ad.

When did you have your application in?

For UT Houston, here is the list of their interview dates:

UT Houston interview dates

My gpa isn't too much higher and my MCAT is definitely lower so I don't know if that is the reason.

The UTMB website doesn't seem to have interview dates but it does say in the FAQ that rejection letters are sent out first week of Jan to those who don't get chosen to interview.

Did you apply to either school before? Some people on the forums have said that UTH doesn't grant interviews again to people who applied before and got an interview unless there is a radical change in their application.

Members don't see this ad :)
i havent applied to either school before. my application was processed 10/8 but they had to wait for my mcat scores and my letters of rec, which came in on 10/23.

Originally posted by XCanadianRagwee
patience is a virtue...

yes it is. I wish you would find some and stop writing all these hate replies to everyone...:rolleyes: .....nobody on this board appreciates your sadistic comments or does it make you better than any one of us.

It's quite amusing personally, all these asnine questions where the answers can be found by clicking on the TMDSAS webpage or a phonecall to that school...

Or wow...do a search on SDN...

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by XCanadianRagwee
It's quite amusing personally, all these asnine questions where the answers can be found by clicking on the TMDSAS webpage or a phonecall to that school...

Or wow...do a search on SDN...

:rolleyes:

You'd think someone or sometehing forced you to open the thread....

Come on, XCan, give it a rest. Nobody made you the thread police.

Originally posted by ndi_amaka
You'd think someone or sometehing forced you to open the thread....

XCanadianRagwee has some serious issues, which is why he is on my ignore list. I wouldnt take anything he has to say seriously, because quite frankly most of this posts can be described as follows:

<insert some half-related comment here in harsh tone> ... :rolleyes:

<insert some ad hominem remark against OP or poster who is simply trying to answer question> ... :rolleyes:

<insert some action the OP took that XCanadianRagwee also did, then remind everyone that> "And I got in"

<insert another short, useless remark> ... :rolleyes:

Heh....I'll readily admit that this website has more than its fair share of stupid members and stupid questions...but that's part of having a peer run site. There are some people who honestly do not know the answer to something or know that there is an alternative area where they can find the answer. That's why they come here...to vent their frustrations.

What is he going to do when he meets his first "asinine" patient?? Belittle him to the point where he has a mistrust and hatred for doctors??

Originally posted by Gleevec
XCanadianRagwee has some serious issues, which is why he is on my ignore list. I wouldnt take anything he has to say seriously, because quite frankly most of this posts can be described as follows:

<insert some ad hominem remark against OP or poster who is simply trying to answer question> ... :rolleyes:

<insert some action the OP took that XCanadianRagwee also did, then remind everyone that> "And I got in"

yeah ragweed,
no one appreciates any of your posts. not only are they always snide and sarcastic, they arent even clever or witty. theres no point in posting stuff that isnt useful to anyone else. the only reason i can imagine that you post is to entertain yourself, and if you get your kicks by being a prick on a premed website, well that says a lot about you....so please stop being so condescending towards everyone.

and now, back to the topic...anyone else have any advice?

(insert some half-related comment here in harsh tone) ... :rolleyes:

(insert some ad hominem remark against OP or poster who is simply trying to answer question) ... :rolleyes:

(insert some action the OP took that XCanadianRagwee also did, then remind everyone that) "And I got in"

(insert another short, useless remark) ... :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by dookbloo

and now, back to the topic...anyone else have any advice?

I'll refer back to ragweed and say, just be patient. A 35Q is a great score and hopefully you have some EC to show you are genuine about being a doctor. I have lower numbers than you and have managed to get an interview from 5 Tx schools. You gotta remember that they are sifting through 3000 applications and yours is probably at the bottom of the pile. It takes time but you'll hear from them sooner or later.

By the way, what's your first choice schools? I'm having trouble trying to rank which ones I wanna go to.

yeah i know i need to be patient. its just that i know time is running out, and i heard from some of the other schools so quickly. as far as rankings go, im not really sure... ill decide after i interview at schools. i figure its not really worth picking a numbenr 1 and then not even being interviewed there. as of now, iev heard from tech, a&m, and san antonio. i imagine ill end up going with san antonio numbenr 1 if thats how it ends up. thanks for your advice.

yeah i know i need to be patient. its just that i know time is running out, and i heard from some of the other schools so quickly. as far as rankings go, im not really sure... ill decide after i interview at schools. i figure its not really worth picking a numbenr 1 and then not even being interviewed there. as of now, iev heard from tech, a&m, and san antonio. i imagine ill end up going with san antonio numbenr 1 if thats how it ends up. thanks for your advice.

I heard from Houston and Tech pretty quickly...2 weeks later I heard from San Antonio...and just last week I heard from UTMB and Dallas. This has been spread over nearly a month of just waiting. No word from A&M but I wouldn't go there anyway.

So basically, just be patient....when it rains, it pours.

If you absolutely must, go and call them. I did.

i actually have called them already. they didnt really offer anything over the phone. thats why i decided to post here. i guess its better than being rejected over the phone.

i actually have called them already. they didnt really offer anything over the phone. thats why i decided to post here. i guess its better than being rejected over the phone.

Oh well....just wait, i guess.

Hey Gleev...

If I'm on your ignore list, then why are you responding to my posts...

hmmmm...

Again just be patient...that's all you can do throughout this whole process.

If that's the case (formula for UTH & UTMB) , then explain why I had an interview from UTMB last year with a 22L and a 3.0? I think it is all a crap shoot. However, I did have several people say that my personal statement rocked.

Who knows?! None of it makes any sense, so why bother trying to figure it out.

hey guys,
sorry for asking this again, but i didnt get a reply earlier, so i figured id give it another shot. anyway, ive heard that these 2 both give interviews based solely on numbers (some sort of formula?). does anyone have any idea if this is true and what it might be. i still havent heard a word from either of them, and im a little surprised. is my gpa too low? (3.35 from dook and a 35q). i know there are very few slots left, so im kind of hoping to hear from at least 1. also, any ideas on the last interview dates? thanks and goodnight

With an MCAT like that, your GPA shouldn't be a factor. Your GPA's not that bad, its not impressive, but its not super low either. But with an MCAT that high, I think the only way they would interview you is if your GPA was under 3.0. But then again this whole process feels like a crapshoot sometimes. I would contact these schools and let them know your interested in a invite. You're coming from a high ranked school as well, which should weigh your GPA higher. Hang in there, you definately will get in somewhere as long as you do alright on the interviews.

Originally posted by sallazar
When is Galveston's last interview date?

i canceled mine on the 17th and they didnt have any to offer after that, so im assuming that's all they've got