2022-2023 UT Houston (McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Aye aye aye...

Just got the call and I have been accepted off of the waitlist. This is a dang near impossible decision. It was easy 3 months ago when finalizing my rank list, but a lot has transpired since then. No idea what we're gonna do, but the deliberation period is officially underway.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Care
Reactions: 9 users
Aye aye aye...

Just got the call and I have been to accepted off of the waitlist. This is a dang near impossible decision. It was easy 3 months ago when finalizing my rank list, but a lot has transpired since then. No idea what we're gonna do, but the deliberation period is officially underway.
How long did they give you to decide?

Aye aye aye...

Just got the call and I have been to accepted off of the waitlist. This is a dang near impossible decision. It was easy 3 months ago when finalizing my rank list, but a lot has transpired since then. No idea what we're gonna do, but the deliberation period is officially underway.
Congratulations my friend. Just be aware that if your kids know you have this choice and didnt take it, they might not like you. :)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
well there's the part about having full tuition at the current school too...
It is difficult to express how much that scholarship matters to our family, and thus how right you are!!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Just got a call off the WL and i have a few questions about McGovern are there any current students i could talk to?🙂

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Do you think you will accept the offer?
Thank you so much! I’m currently accepted at another school and had my plans ready but this came as a surprise so i have a lot to consider😭 as always the TMC is a big motivator but i have to speak with my fiancé about relocating. I was excited for match day to be done with the painstaking process of decision making but it’s come back again but I’m grateful nonetheless. I’m from a smaller town so I’m a little nervous about Houston /:

Thank you so much! I’m currently accepted at another school and had my plans ready but this came as a surprise so i have a lot to consider😭 as always the TMC is a big motivator but i have to speak with my fiancé about relocating. I was excited for match day to be done with the painstaking process of decision making but it’s come back again but I’m grateful nonetheless. I’m from a smaller town so I’m a little nervous about Houston /:
Very understandable. Good luck with the decision-making process! Keep us updated:)

McGovern has made it a battle. They didn't offer full tuition, but a sizable scholarship that makes the difference between the two schools $34k. Unfortunately, the bulk of that $34k (if attending McGovern) would have to come from Grad Plus loans, which my wife and I are trying to avoid like the plague, if at all possible. But McGovern was once the dream, so this is really gonna be tough.

Thankfully, my wife and I are also feeling super grateful for the interest and support, and feel that we cannot make a bad decision here. As tough as these moments and choices are, we haven't lost sight of how fortunate we are to be in this position.

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
McGovern has made it a battle. They didn't offer full tuition, but a sizable scholarship that makes the difference between the two schools $34k. Unfortunately, the bulk of that $34k (if attending McGovern) would have to come from Grad Plus loans, which my wife and I are trying to avoid like the plague, if at all possible. But McGovern was once the dream, so this is really gonna be tough.

Thankfully, my wife and I are also feeling super grateful for the interest and support, and feel that we cannot make a bad decision here. As tough as these moments and choices are, we haven't lost sight of how fortunate we are to be in this position.
I feel that -- lucky to have a decision to make but it isn't easy. Full tuition is always tough to pass up on.

It is a lot to pay but keep in mind what your future goals are and use that to determine which location helps you better with that goal. I would tell you to go to Dell and save your money if I didnt know what you want to be!

• Love

Idk your background but I'm honestly shocked you're considering turning down a full tuition scholarship to DELL!

I feel that -- lucky to have a decision to make but it isn't easy. Full tuition is always tough to pass up on.
Full freaking tuition! So hard to pass up on. I'll be glad when the 15th has come and gone, much like I felt about 2/17 and 3/3 lol.

Reactions: 2 users
It is a lot to pay but keep in mind what your future goals are and use that to determine which location helps you better with that goal. I would tell you to go to Dell and save your money if I didnt know what you want to be!
I hear exactly what you're saying lol! We both know my primary specialty of interest leans McGovern like crazy. But the smaller class size at Dell and strong faculty support seems to be landing students in any field they're after. Decisions, decisions.

I told my wife that I wanted McGovern to either come back with no aid, or full tuition. Would have helped quite a bit, either way. This middling crap complicates things :lol:

Reactions: 3 users
Idk your background but I'm honestly shocked you're considering turning down a full tuition scholarship to DELL!
You and me both! :1geek: This process done changed me!

The info you may be missing is that my family and I live in Houston. Major factor. In addition, the allure of the TMC, crazy availability of research opportunities, and history/prestige of McGovern are extremely valuable. McGovern has a lengthy track record of helping students match in large numbers in some of the more competitive specialties. Dell gets it done as well, but McGovern has been doing it for a very long time. It all matters and factors in!

I've got copious notes on all schools I interviewed at, so it would get ridiculous if I started listing out every reason why Dell or McGovern could be the better option. Money is a very strong driver for me and my family, but it isn't the only one!

Last edited:
You and me both! :1geek: This process done changed me!

The info you may be missing is that my family and I live in Houston. Major factor. In addition, the allure of the TMC, crazy availability of research opportunities, and history/prestige of McGovern are extremely valuable. McGovern has a lengthy track record of helping students match in large numbers in some of the more competitive specialties. Dell gets it done as well, but McGovern has been doing it for a very long time. It all matters and factors in!

I've got copious notes on all schools I interviewed at, so it would get ridiculous if I started listing out every reason why Dell or McGovern could be the better option. Money is a very strong driver me and my family, but it isn't the only one!
I'm also debt-averse, but given your desired specialty, you kind of have to laugh at $34k (assuming you meant total).

Flip a coin, whichever side it is in the air is the place you want to be.

• Haha

Would there by any additional loan amount you’d have to take out? 34k, even with accrued interest, is a relatively tiny loan balance compared to most medical students. In any case, you have a very tough decision to make!

You have until the 15th to decide you mean?
I have until the 14th, but I just meant that once the 15th has passed, I will no longer have the option of deciding haha. Always nice to have tough decisions behind you. I'll initially regret not choosing either school, and then move on like us humans always do haha.

I'm also debt-averse, but given your desired specialty, you kind of have to laugh at $34k (assuming you meant total).

Flip a coin, whichever side it is in the air is the place you want to be.
True stuff! However, I think I'm kinda in the minority in believing that Dell students match very strongly in competitive fields. Small class size, but the percentage of graduates each year matching into ortho/ENT/derm is surprisingly high and consistent. So even though on face value it feels like McGovern makes more sense for competitive pursuits, I really don't think there's a whole lot of difference. But I also understand this perspective could be flawed. It's just not my biggest worry when deciding between the two. The money is big. Location is big. True P/F is big. Faculty support, LORs, research opportunities, dedicated 3rd year, etc. They each have their pros and cons, and I think either sets students up very nicely for whatever they're after. It'll be interesting to see what factor ends up pushing me most toward one or the other. I'm prepared to be happy either way!

I have until the 14th, but I just meant that once the 15th has passed, I will no longer have the option of deciding haha. Always nice to have tough decisions behind you. I'll initially regret not choosing either school, and then move on like us humans always do haha.
Totally get it. I initially fiercely regret the decision I didn’t make. And then I get over it.

I thought people only got five days? This ten day thing surprises me.

Would there by any additional loan amount you’d have to take out? 34k, even with accrued interest, is a relatively tiny loan balance compared to most medical students. In any case, you have a very tough decision to make!
Oh, the 34k is the difference between the COA at the two schools. The loan balance will be far greater. Even with full tuition, having a family means I need all the COL dollars I can get my hands on. These kids be eating!

• Haha
Totally get it. I initially fiercely regret the decision I didn’t make. And then I get over it.

I thought people only got five days? This ten day thing surprises me.
It's always possible to ask for an extension of the time to make the decision. They don't have to agree, but they might.

Given you have a family, I would really think about all the stuff that ISN'T med school. It's clear that both Dell and McGovern will get you where you need to go - and I would argue they can both do it equally well, just with different strengths and approaches. The other half of your life is your family and non-med school things though. It does no one good to have you in a place that is amazing for your career but leaves your family relatively less happy/more miserable. Do you think the debt burden will be a source of frustration for your family life? Is that outweighed by the ability to stay in a familiar city? It's a "choose the lesser evil" for sure! Good luck on your decision and honestly, we're so freakin proud that you're in a position to choose!

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Given you have a family, I would really think about all the stuff that ISN'T med school. It's clear that both Dell and McGovern will get you where you need to go - and I would argue they can both do it equally well, just with different strengths and approaches. The other half of your life is your family and non-med school things though. It does no one good to have you in a place that is amazing for your career but leaves your family relatively less happy/more miserable. Do you think the debt burden will be a source of frustration for your family life? Is that outweighed by the ability to stay in a familiar city? It's a "choose the lesser evil" for sure! Good luck on your decision and honestly, we're so freakin proud that you're in a position to choose!
This is a really good take. I have a parent who chose to leave their healthcare job with great pay but terrible hours for a lower paying, business hours job at a different hospital. Yeah, maybe they could have afforded to buy me a nicer car in high school or whatever, but it sure was nice having them at all my band concerts and around on the weekends to help me with physics projects. Anyway, we're probably beating a dead horse here so I'll stop there. Super proud of what you accomplished and it's honestly a great problem to have.

• Care
I've formally withdrawn my acceptance to Dell Med and accepted the offer to attend McGovern. It was a tough thing to do, as my wife and I loved Dell so much. But, McGovern keeps me with my family for all four years and in the end, that made all the difference. I'll see some of you beautiful folks soon enough!!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 13 users
I've formally withdrawn my acceptance to Dell Med and accepted the offer to attend McGovern. It was a tough thing to do, as my wife and I loved Dell so much. But, McGovern keeps me with my family for all four years and in the end, that made all the difference. I'll see some of you beautiful folks soon enough!!
Common Skep W! Can’t wait to be with you in spirit at the TMC!!! 🖤🖤🖤

• Care
Congrats on both the acceptances and making your final decision. I know this was a super tough choice for you and your family to make, but life has a way of working things out in the end!

In other news, LET'S GO SDN nontrad team <3

• Care
The TMC awaits my brotha! We'll be busy, but have to at least grab a coffee or something from time to time. Let's get after it!

• Love
Congrats on both the acceptances and making your final decision. I know this was a super tough choice for you and your family to make, but life has a way of working things out in the end!

In other news, LET'S GO SDN nontrad team <3
Thank you so much! It was nerve-racking as heck, but once we met with some of the faculty and a non-trad MS4 yesterday, we knew we belonged at McGovern. It was such a weird thing to consider pivoting so late in the admissions cycle, but it turns out it was for the best. If we'd pre-match or matched, we'd never have engaged in those discussions with staff and become aware of the resources available to us, and specifically, available to my wife. She is over the moon, and that makes me super, super happy!

• Care
To reiterate what I posted on Dell thread, @skeptastic and I will be at a bar on weekends. Its your choice to drive down from Temple.

Rethinking about it, may be he needs to go home on weekends. So we might pick some weeknights when he has no classes next day.

If you come, may be we will just go to Indian joints.

• Love
To reiterate what I posted on Dell thread, @skeptastic and I will be at a bar on weekends. Its your choice to drive down from Temple.

Rethinking about it, may be he needs to go home on weekends. So we might pick some weeknights when he has no classes next day.

If you come, may be we will just go to Indian joints.
Hey hey hey, nobody is going to Indian joints without me. I don't mention it quite as much as Thiccy, but I am a serious foodie!

Foodie Grub GIF by Joel James

• Haha
Hey hey hey, nobody is going to Indian joints without me. I don't mention it quite as much as Thiccy, but I am a serious foodie!

Foodie Grub GIF by Joel James
I said you and I will be going to bars but if @MCAThiccy shows up we will instead go to Indian joints since thats what he wanted to do in Houston and he is being deprived.

• Love