UTCVM c/o 2024 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thought my app was decent. Pretty disappointed right now.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
OOS invite! I’m so excited! I’m scheduled for January 10th! This was such a good surprise!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Last years thread indicates Tennessee is partially open file traditional/conversational type interview. Can anyone confirm if that will be true this year?

Is it likely bad news if we haven’t heard by now?

Reactions: 1 users
I got accepted at another school so I just declined my interview spot! Don't give up yet!

Does anyone know if UT let’s you change the date of your scheduled interview from Saturday to Friday? Just curious!

Last years thread indicates Tennessee is partially open file traditional/conversational type interview. Can anyone confirm if that will be true this year?
Yes that is correct!

Congrats to everyone who has gotten invites so far! Wish I could tell you whether they will keep sending out more or not, but they do things a little differently every year. I wouldn't give up unless you get a rejection though.

@WildZoo I am 100% accepting my position to UT and want to do zoo/wildlife veterinary work for my career. Can I ask you.. many many questions?

• Love
Anyone that has been through the interview process already this year, any advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, looking at their stats, they typically interview 200 something OOS applicants and 20 something spots are reserved for OOS in each class. My question is, does anyone know if they over accept applicants like other schools do, or if they only select 20 something applicants? And how much does their waitlist typically move?

Also, looking at their stats, they typically interview 200 something OOS applicants and 20 something spots are reserved for OOS in each class. My question is, does anyone know if they over accept applicants like other schools do, or if they only select 20 something applicants? And how much does their waitlist typically move?
They do overaccept, or at least have in previous years. Not sure how much the wait list tends to move.

wildzoo: That’s great news, thank you! Do you know about how much extra applicants they accept? I’m OOS so it’s going to be harder for me to get a spot, but UTCVM is my top choice, so I’m really hoping my interview goes well.

I have an interview at Texas A&M the same day, and they only offer interviews to about 25 OOS for 10 seats. Hard to even get an interview OOS there, but UT is my dream school. I’ve asked admissions at both schools to see if I can change one to a Friday interview, but figuring They won’t change the date. Then I’ll have to choose. Do I play the odds or go with my heart? Anyone have a suggestion?

wildzoo: That’s great news, thank you! Do you know about how much extra applicants they accept? I’m OOS so it’s going to be harder for me to get a spot, but UTCVM is my top choice, so I’m really hoping my interview goes well.
Spend more time than you think you need preparing for the interview. It is a BIG part of the application (an entire third). Make sure you know how to get to the vet school once you get here ahead of time. The more you practice, the more confident you will feel. I personally botched my first interview last year (as an OOS student)... not because I didn't prepare, I did! But I underestimated how organized my thoughts could be under pressure (I mean... your whole life culminating to one 30 min interview? That's some scary stuff). This year, I spent a lot more time asking mentors (veterinary and otherwise) what they did, how they organized their thoughts, etc (it's worth mentioning my main mentor graduated only 4ish years ago, so it her advice was incredibly relevant). So... what I did is look up 8-10 really good questions that I either knew would be asked or whose answers I know I could fit to different kinds of questions. I made sure I thought about my experiences and perfected my story telling. I followed my mentor's answering format of 1.) Problem 2.) Possible outcomes 3.) Solution, etc. Honestly, infusing a couple of your answers with this format is great, but it definitely can be overdone and come across robotic. ALSO, with all of these questions, I practiced via video taping myself and watching it back and noting mannerisms that I should keep in check during the interview (for me, it was spinning in my chair a bit and not showing enough expression in my face while delivering punchlines, etc.) So anyways, I wish someone would have convinced me to spend more time on preparation. Hope this helps!

Just got an email saying I’m denied (who knew they were there on sundays) Good luck to everyone with your interviews! You got this!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

• Sad
OOS rejection sent today a little before noon. Good luck everyone

• Sad
Unfortunately I have no idea how many acceptances they send out, sorry! Good luck with your interview :)

I got an email today that said they are reviewing applications with a disadvantage statement and will be notifying us by February 1.

I just got an email saying they are still reviewing applications with disadvantage statements and I should expect a reply after feb 1. That they will be adding interview dates.

OOS, got the email about applications with a disadvantage statement. Still in the runnings for now! Good luck everyone!

Has anyone else not received any email?? Complete silence on my end...checked my junk mail as well.

BigCatFanatic: Thank you for the advice! I have been trying to prepare as much as possible. Could you share what type of questions they asked? Were they more about your application, vet med knowledge related, behavioral based? Just trying to get a better idea on what they will be focusing on. Also, did you attend the info session before or after your interview?

BigCatFanatic: Thank you for the advice! I have been trying to prepare as much as possible. Could you share what type of questions they asked? Were they more about your application, vet med knowledge related, behavioral based? Just trying to get a better idea on what they will be focusing on. Also, did you attend the info session before or after your interview?
I'm not sure I can can exactly what questions they asked me (I'm not sure that is honorable), but I can tell you it is more to get to know you and how you understand vet med than actual knowledge- or behavior-like questions. And yes! I find the info session was better placed before performing my interview than afterwards.

BigCatFanatic: Oh I’m sorry, I meant I was just looking for the general type of questions they ask, not specific questions. Every school is so different, which makes preparing so difficult sometimes. I am glad that it sounds like they are just trying to get to know the applicant better. I have an earlier interview, which is why I was debating if I should attend the info session prior or after my interview. Does the info session include things that would be helpful to know prior to interviewing? Thanks for your help!

BigCatFanatic: Oh I’m sorry, I meant I was just looking for the general type of questions they ask, not specific questions. Every school is so different, which makes preparing so difficult sometimes. I am glad that it sounds like they are just trying to get to know the applicant better. I have an earlier interview, which is why I was debating if I should attend the info session prior or after my interview. Does the info session include things that would be helpful to know prior to interviewing? Thanks for your help!
No worries! Haha, I thought so, but they definitely give you the option to go before or after your interview.

Happy holidays everyone. Here’s wishing everyone a great 2020 and that we all get an acceptance to UT!!! Class of 2024!!!

^
Yes, that would be the best Christmas present! Merry Christmas everyone!

BigCatFanatic: Thanks for your help!

Hey everyone, and Happy Holidays!

I'm currently a first year at utcvm, and also OOS. I know I'm kinda late to y'alls party haha, but I'd also love to help y'all with any questions or concerns you may have, or even if you just want to chat!

Does anyone know how many OOS people they interview?

I’m OOS and interviewing on January 10th, and UT is my dream vet school. My GPAs are up there, GRE is average, great LORs, I have lots of shadowing and volunteering experience with small animals, large animals, wildlife such as wolves, skunks and owls, have spent a month at a summer course in Grenada, a month in Costa Rica working with sloths, hawks and other native animals, and even performed a few spay & neuterings in my own while there. That’s me. I guess the final piece of this whole process is the interview. I’ve had 2 so far and have 3 more to go, UT being one of them. My question is what do you feel you made you stand out in your interview and ultimately get an acceptance? If you were coaching someone on how to best interview for UT, what would be your advice? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Does anyone know how many OOS people they interview?

Roughly 200, at least that's what I remember being told during the little informational session before my interview last year!

I’m OOS and interviewing on January 10th, and UT is my dream vet school. My GPAs are up there, GRE is average, great LORs, I have lots of shadowing and volunteering experience with small animals, large animals, wildlife such as wolves, skunks and owls, have spent a month at a summer course in Grenada, a month in Costa Rica working with sloths, hawks and other native animals, and even performed a few spay & neuterings in my own while there. That’s me. I guess the final piece of this whole process is the interview. I’ve had 2 so far and have 3 more to go, UT being one of them. My question is what do you feel you made you stand out in your interview and ultimately get an acceptance? If you were coaching someone on how to best interview for UT, what would be your advice? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Congrats on the interview invite!

I was a resident assistant at my very small undergrad for 3 years, and I was lucky enough that some of my supervisors on our staff organized mock vet school interviews for me. Being able to practice answering questions on the spot and really figuring out how to come across in my interview as confident in who I was and what I was bringing to the table is something I believe helped me to stand out.

As far as advice for the interview, how you portray yourself and your communication skills are really key. Don't be afraid to take a few seconds to compose yourself and your thoughts before answering a question. If you're asked a question that you don't know the answer to, own up to that and tell them you don't know. I was asked a question and one of the parts I didn't fully know so I was upfront and told them that, but then I made an educated guess and shared my thought process out loud with them about what I thought could be what they were looking for. The interview is really a relaxed and comfortable setting. They're not trying to trick you with anything they ask, they want to see how you are different from everyone else and how you can add to their program. I don't want to sound completely cliché haha but really just be yourself! I remember I had a lot of fun during my interview.

Congrats on the interview invite!

I was a resident assistant at my very small undergrad for 3 years, and I was lucky enough that some of my supervisors on our staff organized mock vet school interviews for me. Being able to practice answering questions on the spot and really figuring out how to come across in my interview as confident in who I was and what I was bringing to the table is something I believe helped me to stand out.

As far as advice for the interview, how you portray yourself and your communication skills are really key. Don't be afraid to take a few seconds to compose yourself and your thoughts before answering a question. If you're asked a question that you don't know the answer to, own up to that and tell them you don't know. I was asked a question and one of the parts I didn't fully know so I was upfront and told them that, but then I made an educated guess and shared my thought process out loud with them about what I thought could be what they were looking for. The interview is really a relaxed and comfortable setting. They're not trying to trick you with anything they ask, they want to see how you are different from everyone else and how you can add to their program. I don't want to sound completely cliché haha but really just be yourself! I remember I had a lot of fun during my interview.

Thank you for your great advice!!! It’s very nice of you to help the applicants out.

Pague: Do you have any idea how many OOS applicants they over accept? UTCVM is also my dream school, but being OOS I’m so nervous about doing well enough on my interview to receive a seat, because 25 spots out of 200 isn’t great odds. Who knew applying to vet schools would be so stressful? Lol

Thank you for your great advice!!! It’s very nice of you to help the applicants out.

Of course! I remember how stressed I was through the whole cycle last year haha so I'm really more than happy to help y'all out and maybe relieve some of the anxiety ;)

Pague: Do you have any idea how many OOS applicants they over accept? UTCVM is also my dream school, but being OOS I’m so nervous about doing well enough on my interview to receive a seat, because 25 spots out of 200 isn’t great odds. Who knew applying to vet schools would be so stressful? Lol

During my pre-interview informational session, Dr. Kirk had said to us that approximately half of the OOS interviewees would receive acceptance letters!

My interview is at 2pm and there are 8:00, 11:00 and 2:00 information sessions. Does that mean that I need to go to either the 8am or 11:00 sessions?

My interview is at 2pm and there are 8:00, 11:00 and 2:00 information sessions. Does that mean that I need to go to either the 8am or 11:00 sessions?
Yes. I found it helpful to go to the earliest info session that I could so I had time to relax while I was there.

Should I be worried if I still have not heard anything OOS?? I haven’t gotten a rejection or invite?? Not sure what to do at this point

I would definitely go to either the 8 or 11 session. Either way you'll also have time to do a tour and talk to some current students before your interview :)

Should I be worried if I still have not heard anything OOS?? I haven’t gotten a rejection or invite?? Not sure what to do at this point
All those OOS invitees have until 1/3 to accept or decline the interview. If some people decline i believe they then notify the interview alternates so you would need to be on that list. I’m not sure what they do after that.

Does anyone know if UT needs our fall transcripts? The checklist on the website states all college transcripts with classes taken through summer 2019. Anyone know when they would/be required?