UTCVM c/o 2024 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ahh! I'm so excited for you all :)
Those who posted, are you planning on going? If so, I'm excited to meet you all in August! :)
I got into OSU, my IS, a few days ago, so I will likely decide to go there. UT was so amazing when I visited though, it's going to be hard to pass up! I loved the community feel and so many other aspects so dang much! After I hear back from the last school I'm waiting on (Wisconsin), I'll take a few weeks and figure it all out.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I got into OSU, my IS, a few days ago, so I will likely decide to go there. UT was so amazing when I visited though, it's going to be hard to pass up! I loved the community feel and so many other aspects so dang much! After I hear back from the last school I'm waiting on (Wisconsin), I'll take a few weeks and figure it all out.
I also got into OSU, but being from NJ we have no IS. I loved both but really liked the whole UT/Knoxville vibe. Going to be a tough decision but leaning towards UT right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS ACCEPTED!!! UT is my top school I’m SO EXCITED!

Reactions: 2 users
OOS acceptance!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

I also got into OSU, but being from NJ we have no IS. I loved both but really liked the whole UT/Knoxville vibe. Going to be a tough decision but leaning towards UT right now.
Wow congrats!!! Yeah in general, both schools and the experiences from the interview day activities gave TOTALLY different vibes to me, in a good way though.

Dumb question but I forgot to ask while I was there- does anyone know if there’s a specific dress code for UT?

Dumb question but I forgot to ask while I was there- does anyone know if there’s a specific dress code for UT?
Technically business casual, especially if you're in the small animal clinic, but if you're in class you're allowed to wear jeans as long as they aren't torn up and stuff.

OOS Accepted, I am beyond thrilled! Tennessee is my #1, so it looks like I get to attend!!

Reactions: 4 users
OOS waitlisted but still feeling hopeful as I know they go far down their waitlist. I feel like the admissions speaker at the interview said that she wouldn’t tel you your rank on the waitlist- but if you contacted her she would tell you your chances of admission. Can anyone confirm this?

Stats: 3.76 overall, 3.6 science, 4.0 last 30, 1100 vet hours

OOS waitlisted but still feeling hopeful as I know they go far down their waitlist. I feel like the admissions speaker at the interview said that she wouldn’t tel you your rank on the waitlist- but if you contacted her she would tell you your chances of admission. Can anyone confirm this?

Stats: 3.76 overall, 3.6 science, 4.0 last 30, 1100 vet hours
I believe she said that she would say whether you were in like top/bottom third of list

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup if you call they'll tell you roughly where you are on the list but not an exact number, because when they pull from the waitlist it's not really in a linear fashion.

Reactions: 1 users
Any of the current students have any recommendations for housing around Knoxville. I would be looking for a pet friendly apartment around 15 minutes from the vet school.

When does hands on experience begin at UT? I know some universities start year 1?
Do you guys use lecture capture for all classes?

Any of the current students have any recommendations for housing around Knoxville. I would be looking for a pet friendly apartment around 15 minutes from the vet school.
There are a bunch of places. I'm currently at The Henley, have friends who have lived in The Woodlands for 3 years, one friend lives in The Social which is more pricey but walking distance from school, which has its benefits. Most people tend to stick around West and South Knox. If you're looking for cheaper options, north Knox has some good options too - I lived in The Canyon & Knox Landing before my husband moved up here. Would avoid East Knox.

When does hands on experience begin at UT? I know some universities start year 1?
Do you guys use lecture capture for all classes?
Year 1
You'll have labs practicing physical exams and other technical skills starting first semester, as well as a week in the clinic either first or second semester

Lecture capture is used for everything except anatomy lectures

There are a bunch of places. I'm currently at The Henley, have friends who have lived in The Woodlands for 3 years, one friend lives in The Social which is more pricey but walking distance from school, which has its benefits. Most people tend to stick around West and South Knox. If you're looking for cheaper options, north Knox has some good options too - I lived in The Canyon & Knox Landing before my husband moved up here. Would avoid East Knox.
Thank you. Never been to Knoxville before my interview but did get to tour the area a bit, but not sure what’s good or bad. Just wondering where to start.

Year 1
You'll have labs practicing physical exams and other technical skills starting first semester, as well as a week in the clinic either first or second semester

Lecture capture is used for everything except anatomy lectures
Thanks. They talked about how they are always reviewing and altering the curriculum to increase hands on experiences, but wanted to know what it looks like today. Guess I’m just anxious to begin the journey.

I have been casually browsing as well, but I keep running into a problem. I have three cats. Nearly everywhere I've looked states there is a 2 pet limit or no pets allowed. As a vet student, I'm sure you know how unwilling I am to leave them behind. Is there anywhere that you know of that would allow three cats?

I have been casually browsing as well, but I keep running into a problem. I have three cats. Nearly everywhere I've looked states there is a 2 pet limit or no pets allowed. As a vet student, I'm sure you know how unwilling I am to leave them behind. Is there anywhere that you know of that would allow three cats?
I've heard that Greenbrier Ridge is a little less strict with their pet rules, possibly The Willows too. Otherwise as far as I know most of the corporate places that allow pets have a two pet limit (a lot of them are owned by the same company). So you can either risk it with three, or else I would suggest looking at renting a house with roommates or something like that.

I've heard that Greenbrier Ridge is a little less strict with their pet rules, possibly The Willows too. Otherwise as far as I know most of the corporate places that allow pets have a two pet limit (a lot of them are owned by the same company). So you can either risk it with three, or else I would suggest looking at renting a house with roommates or something like that.
I am practically married so I'm hoping to avoid the roommate thing, but I'll look into those last couple! Thank you!

Hey, does UTCVM require a $500 deposit to accept your spot? It didn't mention it in the email.

I believe Dr. Kirk said during the info session that they do not require a deposit, which is nice!

This question probably has been asked before a lot, but what’s the typical day / week like for a first year student From your experience ? Lectures vs labs vs everything else ?

This question probably has been asked before a lot, but what’s the typical day / week like for a first year student From your experience ? Lectures vs labs vs everything else ?
For the most part lectures 8am to noon and labs 1-5. Labs are split so some days you'll either be 1-3 or 3-5, or one section will be 1-5 and the other will have the afternoon off. The schedule is pretty variable, some of the lectures are consistent across the week (like physio tends to be 8am most days) but others are just kind of random. You'll have your midterm week probably mid-october, finals beginning of December. Some classes (anatomy) have exams outside of the midterm week schedule. You'll also have one week either in case-based learning or in the clinic.

Hi there! I had a few questions for anyone who is currently attending -

1. Are there any technology requirements?
2. Is there any sort of anatomy boot camp over the summer before classes start?

Weird question, but can anyone tell me that got accepted out of state what their subject line of their acceptance letter was?

No specific technology requirements as far as I know, just have to be able to run examsoft on your laptop (though if you don't have one that can they'll let you borrow one).

There is an anatomy boot camp, if it's still the same structure it is 2 weeks right before orientation activities begin, and you have to pay for it. Can't remember how much since I didn't do it.

No specific technology requirements as far as I know, just have to be able to run examsoft on your laptop (though if you don't have one that can they'll let you borrow one).

There is an anatomy boot camp, if it's still the same structure it is 2 weeks right before orientation activities begin, and you have to pay for it. Can't remember how much since I didn't do it.
Did you ever wish that you had done the anatomy boot camp?

Did you ever wish that you had done the anatomy boot camp?
Nope, did great in anatomy without it!

The structure is basically an accelerated dissection. So you spend a day on something you'd spend a week on during the semester, something like that. At the end you've gotten a basic overview of the information you'll learn in the class, just not in the depth that you will learn it, and a feel for how dissections will run and the kinds of things you'll need to pay attention to.

If you're really worried about anatomy, have never done any kind of anatomy class before, and think it's worth the money, sure, go for it. Our class was the first year it was offered, I have several friends who did it and felt like it was helpful. I just didn't think it would be worth the extra cost and trusted that I'd probably learn anatomy just fine without it, as had many people in many classes before mine. And I did, so no regrets.

Reactions: 3 users
I just found out today I’m on the waitlist for my IS school, so I can now accept UTCVM’s admission offer without feeling conflicted about choosing a more expensive school. I’m so excited to attend! They’re the school I wanted the most. Question for those already attending, what do you need to include in your letter of intent?

Reactions: 4 users
I just found out today I’m on the waitlist for my IS school, so I can now accept UTCVM’s admission offer without feeling conflicted about choosing a more expensive school. I’m so excited to attend! They’re the school I wanted the most. Question for those already attending, what do you need to include in your letter of intent?

This is exactly what happened to me. Tenn is my top school but felt so guilty about the added tuition. Waitlisted IS :thumbup:

^
Glad I’m not the only one that feels this way! Lol. You are accepting your spot then as well?

I typed out only a few sentences, saying how thankful I was for the position and that I would be definitely accepting my position. I let them know the best way to contact me as a courtesy and to say I was excited to see them in the fall. I don't think it has to be fancy, but I typed it out in letter format with their address, my address, and ending clause, etc. I haven't heard from them since, but I'm 95% certain they received it fine.

^
Thank you for info! I haven’t had to write a letter of intent before, so not sure of what to include. I guess we probably won’t hear anymore from UTCVM until after April 15th?

For the anatomy boot camp, how do you enroll and what is the additional cost?

For the anatomy boot camp, how do you enroll and what is the additional cost?
You should get an email about it, I don't remember what the cost was since I didn't do it, and it's probably changed since my first year anyway

Current students, could you tell me more about the camping trip for the first year students? During the tour at the interview session the student ambassador was talking about a day camp or camping trip as a bonding experience for first years, but I missed some of what he said.

Has anyone OOS tried to get residency in TN? Anyone know how difficult it is or how you can obtain information on how to do it? It’s more for me than trying to pay IS tuition....,love the TN area and would love to make myself a permanent resident at some point

Current students, could you tell me more about the camping trip for the first year students? During the tour at the interview session the student ambassador was talking about a day camp or camping trip as a bonding experience for first years, but I missed some of what he said.
You're not supposed to know too much about it going in :) basically it's a 2 day orientation camp with your class, you'll do activities and things, it's all meant to introduce you to each other and some of the faculty and staff, and be a fun team-building type thing. They'll give you a few more details as it gets closer.

Has anyone OOS tried to get residency in TN? Anyone know how difficult it is or how you can obtain information on how to do it? It’s more for me than trying to pay IS tuition....,love the TN area and would love to make myself a permanent resident at some point
Yes, like Elk said I was able to get residency and switch to IS tuition, but basically you have to either have some kind of military connection or you have to be married to a TN resident. I believe that the school still allows you to switch to IS even if you're married before you move to TN, as long as your spouse becomes a resident. I would double check that if you're going to try to go that route though. I ended up getting IS status through military benefits.

Now, you can establish your state residency without any of that, it's relatively easy, you just have to have an address and evidence that you're paying bills in the state. You can switch your driver's license and car registration and everything that way, but you would not be able to switch to in state tuition that way as far as I know.