UTK Class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know when we'll be hearing back about if we got in or not?
Usually it's mid-February

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
@WildZoo I just went to their website and saw Feb 7th as a notification date, but it also said mid-Feb. Do you think they'd let us know this soon?

Members don't see this ad :)
@WildZoo I just went to their website and saw Feb 7th as a notification date, but it also said mid-Feb. Do you think they'd let us know this soon?
Hard to say! I don't have any inside info on these things, so really all I have to go on is what has happened in previous years.

I'm pretty sure she said in the info session that they would tell us on Feb 14th, maybe the 13th/15th but that was the day they were shooting for

I'm pretty sure she said in the info session that they would tell us on Feb 14th, maybe the 13th/15th but that was the day they were shooting for
That's what I thought she said as well, but the website said something different, so I was unsure! :)

So a friend of mine called the school and they said they are hoping to have a decision to us by the 17th

Decisions are out! OOS ACCEPTED! I will most likely attend since I really fell in love with the school, people, and area!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Decisions are out! OOS ACCEPTED! I will most likely attend since I really fell in love with the school, people, and area!
Congrats! Did you get it today or yesterday?

Yeah, but I go here currently and I don't think I want to continue here (if I was offered a seat) for various reasons. :/
Of course it's a very personal decision, but the OOS tuition here is about double what you would be paying IS at UF. Just something to consider :) I'm sort of glad I never had to make that choice!

Does UT send out acceptances for in state and out of state all at once?

IS here..... Haven't heard either!!! I'm dying. How has only one person heard lol

OOS accepted too, received my email today around noon.

However, I will be declining the offer - so if you are on the waiting list there will be at least one spot open!

Where are you headed? :)

Either Minnesota (accepted) or Tufts (waiting to hear)! I loved both schools, so if I am lucky enough to be accepted at Tufts it will be a difficult decision.

I really liked UTK as well, but the other options would much better prepare me for my specific interests.

Last edited:
Accepted OOS but I am also declining my offer so hopefully some of you waitlisted OOS-ers will get the spot! Best of luck everyone!

@cgr1818 I was accepted to Minnesota too, so I might be seeing you there next year!

Ugh I guess they're starting with out of state and painfully making all us IS wait :(

IS Accepted!!! Got an email at 1:42!

OOS Accepted - got my email at 9:50 am. I absolutely LOVED this school, but was also accepted into my in-state s0 I am 95% sure that is where I am going.

Reactions: 1 users
IS accepted woooo!!!! Hello future classmates!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations to everyone! I just realized I'll be gone by the time all you new folks get here and the only ones I'll have met are the folks I interviewed. That's a weird thought. Vet school does eventually end!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anybody know somewhere I can take Cellular Biology online this summer before classes start in the fall? I had been told to take it through UC Berkeley extension online but UTK doesn't allow that anymore. I'm having an extremely hard time finding somewhere to take it. Any suggestions will help a ton!!! Thank you!!!

(Also, me and my 2 puppies need a roommate... we are from Florida!)

Does anybody know somewhere I can take Cellular Biology online this summer before classes start in the fall? I had been told to take it through UC Berkeley extension online but UTK doesn't allow that anymore. I'm having an extremely hard time finding somewhere to take it. Any suggestions will help a ton!!! Thank you!!!

(Also, me and my 2 puppies need a roommate... we are from Florida!)
I'm from FL too! Where exactly are you from? :)

I'm originally from Coral Springs! I went to UF and now I live in Alachua. I just read that you're from south florida too... Where at?
I'm from Port St. Lucie and I'm a current UF student. Small world! Lol

I lived in FTL for 5 years before moving up here. There are a bunch of us from Florida, so you'll have us to help ya feel at home. Congrats to those accepted anywhere, but more so to those attending UTK! Feel free to fire away if anyone has questions that may/may not influence your decision.

Congratulations to everyone! I just realized I'll be gone by the time all you new folks get here and the only ones I'll have met are the folks I interviewed. That's a weird thought. Vet school does eventually end!

Ditto what Timo said! Congratulations to the UTCVM class of 2021! UTCVM is a great place to be <3 I hope you all love it as much as I have!

Yeah, but I go here currently and I don't think I want to continue here (if I was offered a seat) for various reasons. :/

I'm an OOS student and have felt all the financial burdens...I recommend taking your IS if you are offered an IS position....but everything will work out in the end regardless! Best of luck! we seem to have a lot of FL students ;)

Does anybody know: Are the lectures recorded and are we able to review our exams? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anybody know: Are the lectures recorded and are we able to review our exams? Thanks!

Yes (mostly) and yes

All lectures are lecture captured except anatomy at this point. And for exams professors always make them available for review in some way, usually you have to meet with them. It works a little differently for micro anatomy because exams are taken online but they still give you an opportunity to review before the final.

Yes (mostly) and yes

All lectures are lecture captured except anatomy at this point. And for exams professors always make them available for review in some way, usually you have to meet with them. It works a little differently for micro anatomy because exams are taken online but they still give you an opportunity to review before the final.

Thank you!!
Also, do you know what are the required purchases/expenses for first year students? Computer? Stethoscope?

Thank you!!
Also, do you know what are the required purchases/expenses for first year students? Computer? Stethoscope?

There isn't a required computer or anything. Stethoscope you will need for physical diagnosis labs. You could probably get away with borrowing one but...I would recommend getting one for yourself. The only textbook I purchased first semester was the anatomy dissection guide.

Make sure to budget for club dues and things like that too :)

Yeah I didn't buy a single book other than the required anatomy lab guide. You will need to have a dissection kit, blades, and gloves for anatomy. If you work at a practice and they have older stuff they want to donate, now would be the time to collect those things (snag extra suture too for future practice). Other stuff like coveralls, boots, etc. can be put off until mid-semester or Spring semester if you're clever. You'll have the option to purchase the notes from the course instructors, but that's pretty cheap compared to textbooks. Club dues are as expensive as you make them (but the $10 per year pays for the several lunches/snacks/etc that come with them!), just depends on how many you join. Most are 10/year I believe, few exceptions. They had it this year and I'm pretty sure they do every year, but Littmann comes through earlyish 1st semester with discounted prices on their stuff. So if you don't have one now and want to wait and save a few bucks, there ya go. Way too many details, but hopefully it gives you an idea on what to budget for UT.

Thank you!!

You're going to get an order form from the school's bookstore, sometime mid-summer. That email will have everything listed, from "required", "suggested", or "recommended", and you can get what you'd like from them, or order from somewhere else. We can try to answer as best as possible, based off of our experiences, but the school has a tendency to change things between the years, so your definitive information will be in the email you will receive from the bookstore in mid-summer. Budget-wise, if you buy everything, and I mean EVERYTHING - you'll need upwards of $2500 for the first semester. Most items carry over into spring semesters, so the purchase is one-time. But, as FTDM pointed out, if you're a digital person, you can get away with under $800 on books/supplies, etc. Wait for that email though. They're very detailed with explaining how everything works, and our schoolmates are very good about taking care of us and our needs.

Your time to relax is now. You're in. Finish undergrad strong, and take it easy over the summer - you'll thank yourself for it when the fall arrives. Welcome aboard ;)

Last edited:
Just a thought: there was never a semester in my four years here where I looked back and thought "I wish I had bought more of the textbooks/gear." And just because a prof says a book is required doesn't mean it is.

Your time to relax is now. You're in. Finish undergrad strong, and take it easy over the summer - you'll thank yourself for it when the fall arrives.
I second this. Enjoy whatever free time you have now. Enjoy the summer. Go camping. Hike. Travel somewhere not local. Sit and just enjoy having nothing to do. Give yourself something to think back to when you're burning the midnight oil prepping for multiple upcoming exams. I did and those pictures from the random places I went and friends I met up with are a pleasant break away from the insanity. You can thank us later.