UW-Madison SVM c/o 2024

Started by Cobyology
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There are definitely a lot of opportunities around Madison for outdoor activities. The Arboreum has a lot of nice trails and so does Madison and surrounding areas in general. I also love the dog parks. The dog parks are huge and have trails in the fenced in regions so I get exercise while my dogs do! Madison has a few nice lakes to check out if you enjoy water activities like kayaking etc. Hiking wise, if you drive about an hour north to the dells, you have Devils Lake. There you'll find hiking trails and of course the lake/beach. I can't say that I've camped much in this area, but I know there is camping at Devils lake. I usually camp further up north. I know there are places to ski, but I'm not coordinated on my own two feet, let alone on skis, but I'm sure someone else can speak to that. I enjoy Madison as a city. I grew up in Portage and it was very small town. So I enjoy the opportunities that a present in the larger city, like the locally own restaurant you won't find anywhere else etc. As to be expected, Midwestern nice is definitely ever present. Of course, as any location you have crappy drivers, and generally the traffic is terrible in Madison during rush hour, but definitely all manageable.


I grew up in a city with a metro population of over 6 million, but have spent the last 3 years in a city with a population of 165k. That was much more my style, loved the smaller city feel. I know Madison is a bit more than 165k, but I'm not too concerned with population size/traffic after driving around my hometown for 15 years! Definitely intrigued by the arboretum and dog park! I have 2 dogs that will love that. Great info on the lakes/camping in the area. I'm struggling so much trying to make a decision on where to go without being able to visit each campus/city, as the fit of the city is an important factor to me. So you've been very helpful in this process, thank you so much .
 
I grew up in a city with a metro population of over 6 million, but have spent the last 3 years in a city with a population of 165k. That was much more my style, loved the smaller city feel. I know Madison is a bit more than 165k, but I'm not too concerned with population size/traffic after driving around my hometown for 15 years! Definitely intrigued by the arboretum and dog park! I have 2 dogs that will love that. Great info on the lakes/camping in the area. I'm struggling so much trying to make a decision on where to go without being able to visit each campus/city, as the fit of the city is an important factor to me. So you've been very helpful in this process, thank you so much .

I know you'll make the best decision for you. It is hard, but no matter where you choose you are going to be a DVM! Good luck in your decision making! Let me know if you have any more questions! 🙂
 
Thank you! So same questions I had for gizzerlizzer, I'm curious about recreational activities available in and near Madison. I love the outdoors; skiing, hiking, mountain biking, camping, etc. Just curious what's available in driving distance of Madison. I know that can be found with research, but one thing that's better to ask a local: what are the people of Madison like? Every city has its friendly people and mean people, but what's the general feel to the city? I've heard so many good things about the VetMed culture at Wisconsin, and how close students generally are!

Yeah! I agree with what was already said. I love devils lake! It’s a great place to go hiking and swimming. There are also a bunch of other walking areas where you can take your dog out and enjoy the outdoors. Just about an hour north I believe there are a couple different ski areas (Tyrol basin and cascade mountain). And then rib mountain is maybe 2.5 hours north. There is a bunch of awesome camping in northern Wisconsin if you wanted to drive up and make a weekend trip out of it. Also I love all the lakes around! I went to undergrad somewhere outside of Wisconsin and definitely missed all the water! But generally the people here are all very nice! Definitely at the school everyone is less about competing and more about helping each other out. The professors are great and super helpful, as well as all other staff in the building.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah! I agree with what was already said. I love devils lake! It’s a great place to go hiking and swimming. There are also a bunch of other walking areas where you can take your dog out and enjoy the outdoors. Just about an hour north I believe there are a couple different ski areas (Tyrol basin and cascade mountain). And then rib mountain is maybe 2.5 hours north. There is a bunch of awesome camping in northern Wisconsin if you wanted to drive up and make a weekend trip out of it. Also I love all the lakes around! I went to undergrad somewhere outside of Wisconsin and definitely missed all the water! But generally the people here are all very nice! Definitely at the school everyone is less about competing and more about helping each other out. The professors are great and super helpful, as well as all other staff in the building.
Awesome I will be looking into those areas! It's so good to hear multiple accounts regarding the environment of the school and the people. That's an important factor to me, and I have to say I really think I'm leaning towards Wisconsin right now. Thanks so much for the information!
 
Not sure if anyone already asked this, but what is the living situation like down there? Where do students live? And are most pet friendly??
 
Not sure if anyone already asked this, but what is the living situation like down there? Where do students live? And are most pet friendly??
There are plenty of options here, some are pet friendly while others aren't. There are some websites that allow you to filter based on preferences; however, these aren't always accurate and some landlords (houses primarily) will let you bring pets despite a no pet policy, especially when you mention that you're a veterinary student.

A fair number of us live at Les Chateaux, some are at Casa Blanca, Kingston Place, 2550 University apartments, among many other.

Some of these sites are Abodo, campusareahousing, rentcollegepads, etc.
 
There are plenty of options here, some are pet friendly while others aren't. There are some websites that allow you to filter based on preferences; however, these aren't always accurate and some landlords (houses primarily) will let you bring pets despite a no pet policy, especially when you mention that you're a veterinary student.

A fair number of us live at Les Chateaux, some are at Casa Blanca, Kingston Place, 2550 University apartments, among many other.

Some of these sites are Abodo, campusareahousing, rentcollegepads, etc.
Thank you! Is there a Facebook page at all where people post if they are looking for roommates? I know Illinois has a page like that where they sell clothes/things they don't need and also looking for roommates
 
Thank you! Is there a Facebook page at all where people post if they are looking for roommates? I know Illinois has a page like that where they sell clothes/things they don't need and also looking for roommates
Here is a Facebook page for the class of 2024 here at the vet school - Log into Facebook | Facebook - some people have already starting posted about roommates.

This Facebook page is a more general one for UW: NEW UW Madison Sublet and Roommate Board
No promises on how the general roommate page for all of UW is, I'm not a member of it.
 
I'm about 75% sure I'll be attending Wisconsin next year, I'm just excited to make a decision and finally work towards the dream! I hope this virus stuff is cleared up by August so we can all move in time! Hope you're all doing well in these uncertain times
Congrats and welcome to the crew! I'm a first year now and I am hoping for the same thing. I mean it when I say I MISS EVERYONE SO MUCH and can't wait to see everyone at the school again (including C/O 2024!! :soexcited:)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm about 75% sure I'll be attending Wisconsin next year, I'm just excited to make a decision and finally work towards the dream! I hope this virus stuff is cleared up by August so we can all move in time! Hope you're all doing well in these uncertain times
What do you mean 75% sure?? Are you on a waitlist?
 
Congrats and welcome to the crew! I'm a first year now and I am hoping for the same thing. I mean it when I say I MISS EVERYONE SO MUCH and can't wait to see everyone at the school again (including C/O 2024!! :soexcited:)
Thank you! Can't wait to meet everyone and get started!
 
Does anyone know if there is anything we should be doing now, for example, registering for classes? I activated my NetID, but I wasn't sure if we needed to do anything else.
 
Does anyone know if there is anything we should be doing now, for example, registering for classes? I activated my NetID, but I wasn't sure if we needed to do anything else.

The school will register you for all of your required classes, so you will just need to register for electives! I know she’s a bit behind this year but you will get an email sometime this summer when it’s time for you to register for your electives!
 
Does anyone know if there is anything we should be doing now, for example, registering for classes? I activated my NetID, but I wasn't sure if we needed to do anything else.


We just got our email on Friday with instructions and information regarding signing up for electives! If you can't find yours, it probably went to your new school email...I freaked out a second until I realize that it automatically makes your school email your primary email account after activating it! ❤
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How many electives to people usually sign up for first semester?
 
Question about scholarships: are incoming first years able to apply for the coming academic year? I'm looking at the application from the school and there are a handful of questions I don't know how to answer (due to not having started yet)
 
Question about scholarships: are incoming first years able to apply for the coming academic year? I'm looking at the application from the school and there are a handful of questions I don't know how to answer (due to not having started yet)

Yes! First years can apply! If it doesn’t apply just put N/A and explain that you’re a first year!
 
Hi everyone!! New to SDN here. Last I checked (last Wednesday) I was #19 on the waitlist. I'm hoping to get a feel for what my chances are looking like for this fall. What do you guys think?
 
Hi everyone!! New to SDN here. Last I checked (last Wednesday) I was #19 on the waitlist. I'm hoping to get a feel for what my chances are looking like for this fall. What do you guys think?
Im assuming OOS right?
 
Yes! Moved up to #10 this week
Yay!! How exciting for you 🙂 I am IS on the waitlist.. obviously not as much movement on the list here. I started at 14 and Im now at 6 when I checked in last week. I'm in though at Illinois, so regardless at least I am in, but really keeping my fingers crossed to be able to go to my in state school!!
 
Yay!! How exciting for you 🙂 I am IS on the waitlist.. obviously not as much movement on the list here. I started at 14 and Im now at 6 when I checked in last week. I'm in though at Illinois, so regardless at least I am in, but really keeping my fingers crossed to be able to go to my in state school!!
Thank you!! I am so excited to say that I got accepted this morning!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got pulled from the waitlist today (was #167 originally)! Now I have to make a very tough decision between two schools that I really like. Any current students willing to talk with me about Wisconsin and life in Madison in general?
 
I got pulled from the waitlist today (was #167 originally)! Now I have to make a very tough decision between two schools that I really like. Any current students willing to talk with me about Wisconsin and life in Madison in general?
I really enjoy Madison. I've lived in various parts of Wisconsin for my whole life and love it. Do you have any questions in particular about the area?
 
I really enjoy Madison. I've lived in various parts of Wisconsin for my whole life and love it. Do you have any questions in particular about the area?

1) Were you happy/satisfied with the university's response/handling of COVID? Why or why not?
2) How will the pandemic affect the upcoming year? Any plan of action? For example, Michigan is offering a hybrid curriculum of distance classrooms and in person labs in small groups and PPE.
3) Seems like Wisconsin has more of a traditional lecture based curriculum. Do you like it? Do you like your professors? Anything you wish was different or improved for the program?
4) What resources are there for students? I know about the school therapist. Any others?
5) Do you feel well supported by the program and administration?
6) Do you enjoy living in Madison? If so, why? Do you find the cost of living and quality of life there to be reasonable?
7) I feel like in the past two months I've been hearing a lot of scandals from UW in general in regards to sexual harassment or racism from one of their departments, which makes me nervous as a non-white woman. Do you feel as if the university appropriately handled these incidences and supported the victims of these incidences?
8) How much financial support does the university give? Any opportunities for out of state students to receive in state tuition?

For what it's worth, everyone I talked to who ever visited or lived in Madison tells me how much they love it. Would love a vet student perspective on it 🙂
 
1) Were you happy/satisfied with the university's response/handling of COVID? Why or why not?
2) How will the pandemic affect the upcoming year? Any plan of action? For example, Michigan is offering a hybrid curriculum of distance classrooms and in person labs in small groups and PPE.
3) Seems like Wisconsin has more of a traditional lecture based curriculum. Do you like it? Do you like your professors? Anything you wish was different or improved for the program?
4) What resources are there for students? I know about the school therapist. Any others?
5) Do you feel well supported by the program and administration?
6) Do you enjoy living in Madison? If so, why? Do you find the cost of living and quality of life there to be reasonable?
7) I feel like in the past two months I've been hearing a lot of scandals from UW in general in regards to sexual harassment or racism from one of their departments, which makes me nervous as a non-white woman. Do you feel as if the university appropriately handled these incidences and supported the victims of these incidences?
8) How much financial support does the university give? Any opportunities for out of state students to receive in state tuition?

For what it's worth, everyone I talked to who ever visited or lived in Madison tells me how much they love it. Would love a vet student perspective on it 🙂
1)
I thought that the handling of COVID was appropriate last year. It was pretty identical to other schools. I thought most of the courses adapted fairly well to online (with the exception of Large Animal Anatomy).
2) We still need to receive more information regarding this upcoming school year, but they will be requiring masks for any in-person classes. There is still more than they need to discuss, but there's a fair amount of information here: Planning a Smart Restart for UW-Madison
3) I do like the lecture-based curriculum. I believe that MSU is pretty self-guided, and that makes me nervous from an accountability aspect. I like the lectures because I can go and ask questions and it is a style of learning that works for me. I absolutely loved most of our professors. There are certainly some that weren't perfect, but I think that will be the case anywhere. Several times our classes would end at like 5ish and some would go into the anatomy lab to study. Our anatomy professors would either come in without being asked, or be willing to stay late if you asked, to go over material. They really do want you to learn.
4) I'm not the most knowledgeable about that, as I don't utilize any of it. But I know some of my classmates do and from what I've heard, there are plenty of resources available. They are heavily focused on trying to ensure we stay healthy mentally.
5) I certainly feel very well supported! They do want you to succeed. If they notice anybody struggling, they will reach out at the first sign of trouble. When we transitioned to online, I forgot about an online quiz that we had to do. The next day, the professor emailed me and wanted to make sure that I was ok, then she let me retake the quiz with no points taken off.
6) I love Madison. There's so much to do over the summer - tons of outdoors activities, an amazing farmers market, a couple of lakes nearby, and more. Although, without my amazing classmates, it definitely wouldn't be as fun ( so it is very dependent on your friends). In terms of cost of living, it's slightly more expensive than I was used to in undergrad. We pay $1530 for a 3 bed/2 bath apartment and that's a cheaper option, but it is definitely an older apartment. I have no problem with my quality of life, I do wish the apartment was a little nicer, that's just because I came from a privileged life. I could get a nicer apartment, I would just be paying more.
7) I know that they have had a few scandals, I've never felt uncomfortable at the vet school, but I'm also a white male. At the vet school, Madison is taking down the class pictures and digitizing them, they are also removing the busts of our past white, male deans in an attempt to make the space more inclusive.
8) There are no opportunities for out of state students to get in state tuition, unfortunately. But the financial aid has been substantial. Everybody that I spoke to received at least one scholarship. I'm an in-state student and I took the full amount that the government offered (40,000), but the estimated cost of attendance is about $55,000 for in-state students. With the scholarships, I didn't ever feel like I was financially pressured.