This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Keep VMCAS talk in its own thread?

• Yes, I would like a consolidated source for my VMCAS questions and rants

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • No, I am happy to keep VMCAS discussion in the c/o 2022 hopefuls thread

Votes: 13 43.3%

• Total voters
I submitted mine on July 26 and I'm still going nuts. At least now I can't change it, but all that anticipation just moves to wishing the schools would hurry up and make interview decisions so I can either have a mini celebration or plan a thorough pity party.
Yeah, the thing is, it doesn't stop after interview decisions. Then you are anxiously awaiting the interview date, then acceptance, then the first day of classes, then the first test... the list goes on my friend. Don't wish away this time, cherish every second. It will all be over before you know it. The good, the bad, and the ugly all happen and lead you down the wonderful path that is life. There will be moments you wish you never did this, there will be triumphs so great you feel as though you will explode with joy, but take a moment every day to appreciate that day, that you are here, and that you are doing this. Even if you don't get in anywhere, it will make your triumph all the greater next time. Don't look at this time between events as an obstacle, look at it as a step into your future. One day you will look back and wonder where the time has gone, I wish that you will be able to remember each moment like this. :) Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Can you tell me where? I haven't found it either...
Last year once I submitted (might've been after I was verified? I don't really remember) I could see them if I went to "Check Status" and then clicked on view app or download app or pdf or something of the sort. I know there was something in there where I could view/download a PDF of my app and it had them on there somewhere. not sure if there's another spot somewhere else on vmcas that says it too or not or if you're able to see them before you submit or not.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you tell me where? I haven't found it either...
If you download the application under "check status" it will be on that pdf after it is confirmed.

Has anybody had problems with their evaluators being able to submit the eLORs ?
Two my letter writers had major issues with the site. One of them figured it out after a few hours and the other submitted but it never showed up as submitted. Called vmcas and they told me to have him try it in another browser. He hasn't submitted yet, so I'm feeling the pressure..

If you download the application under "check status" it will be on that pdf after it is confirmed.
Does it have to be verified first? My application is complete but I'm still not finding it - the only thing I see is the self reported primary school GPA.

Does it have to be verified first? My application is complete but I'm still not finding it - the only thing I see is the self reported primary school GPA.
Yeah it needs to be verified. That is part of what they go through.

This may be a stupid question, but does the vmcas application need to be verified before the sep. 15th deadline or just "completed"?

This may be a stupid question, but does the vmcas application need to be verified before the sep. 15th deadline or just "completed"?
Just completed and submitted but it's recommended to submit early in case there's any problems with verification like missing transcripts or anything else big so you have time to go back and fix any problems.

Hey guys I just submitted my VMCAS app and am now having major heart palpitations. I just was wondering in your experiences, how long does it take to get a "complete" status on your applications before it gets verified? And how long did it take to get verified for you?

Thanks so much and hoping to join the c/o 2022!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys I just submitted my VMCAS app and am now having major heart palpitations. I just was wondering in your experiences, how long does it take to get a "complete" status on your applications before it gets verified? And how long did it take to get verified for you?

Thanks so much and hoping to join the c/o 2022!!!

Mine went to completed probably within 12 hours, and then got verified a few days later :) I imagine as the deadline gets closer and more people start submitting it may take a little longer, but I just submitted this week so I bet you'll have the same timeline.

I just was wondering in your experiences, how long does it take to get a "complete" status on your applications before it gets verified? And how long did it take to get verified for you?

I submitted last Thursday 8/24 @ 10pm EST
It showed Complete the next morning.
It was verified yesterday 8/29 before 12pm EST

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoa, whoa, whoa...Hold the phone...

So, I spent a bunch of time perfecting my essays to the point that I'm happy with them, making them 1000 words...and I go to paste them into the VMCAS boxes and it's not 1000 words, but 1000 CHARACTERS?!?!

I'm so pissed! Are you serious?! How the hell do you condense down to that little?!?!

Last edited:
Is anyone having trouble getting your evaluators to actually submit their LORs? The two vets I use to work with are the last ones I need and I'm starting to get a tad nervous. I have been keeping in contact with them and reminding them but I don't want to be annoying about it either

Reactions: 1 users
So, I spent a buttload of time perfecting my essays to the point that I'm happy with them, making them 1000 words...and I go to paste them into the VMCAS boxes and it's not 1000 words, but 1000 CHARACTERS?!?!?!?

How the hell do you condense this crap to that little?!?!

It's difficult for sure. I *think* the point of only allowing 1000 characters is because some people got too detailed with their answers in the past. They really want you to get straight to the point. I had to edit mine several times and choose the exact words I wanted, sometimes condensing a whole sentence down to a couple words so I could fit it all in. My best advice is to look at a sentence and see how you can say the same thing with less words. Take out anything descriptive and get to the "meat" of what you're trying to say.

Ok so major panic here !
I had UC Davis send my transcripts to vmcas
They show that they sent on 8/14 first class mail
VMCAS tells me Friday that they have not received it !!!
So I sent electronically AND overnight
But they tell me it will still take 7-10 days to process
I am so freaked out about missing the deadline
Any suggestions / advice ?

Hi guys! Question-- I sent my GRE scores at the GRE site to Western-VMCAS code 7410 on July 31. I never got a confirmation although the GRE site says they were sent Aug 9.
Should I be getting a confirmation from VMCAS that they received the scores? Or do I get a confirmation from Western? Very Confused and hoping they were received. Anyone have any experience like this?

Hi guys! Question-- I sent my GRE scores at the GRE site to Western-VMCAS code 7410 on July 31. I never got a confirmation although the GRE site says they were sent Aug 9.
Should I be getting a confirmation from VMCAS that they received the scores? Or do I get a confirmation from Western? Very Confused and hoping they were received. Anyone have any experience like this?
If it was a VMCAS gre code you should be able to check on VMCAS. Log in and at the top there's a "check status" button and if the scores were sent to the school-specific VMCAS code then it'll tell you in there if they were received, but if they were sent directly to the school because they don't use a VMCAS gre code, then you'd have to contact the school itself to check.

If it was a VMCAS gre code you should be able to check on VMCAS. Log in and at the top there's a "check status" button and if the scores were sent to the school-specific VMCAS code then it'll tell you in there if they were received, but if they were sent directly to the school because they don't use a VMCAS gre code, then you'd have to contact the school itself to check.

Wow! Never saw this! Thank you so much. It was received :)

Hi, I was hoping to get some input on hardship/explanation statements. For those of you that provided one, did you feel that it helped or hurt your application? (I suppose it also depends on the school and the adcoms.)

Planned coursework questions.

I have not yet taken animal nutrition, but plan to take Purdue's online course if I get some attention from schools which require it (Purdue, Oklahoma). How do I indicate this as a planned course on VMCAS? I'm not enrolled in the course yet, as they application for the Spring 2018 semester hasn't opened yet, so cannot list it as a school I am attending.

Should I just include it as a "planned" course at my university I graduated from?

Hi, I was hoping to get some input on hardship/explanation statements. For those of you that provided one, did you feel that it helped or hurt your application? (I suppose it also depends on the school and the adcoms.)

I am interested in this as well. Hopefully someone has insight.

Planned coursework questions.

I have not yet taken animal nutrition, but plan to take Purdue's online course if I get some attention from schools which require it (Purdue, Oklahoma). How do I indicate this as a planned course on VMCAS? I'm not enrolled in the course yet, as they application for the Spring 2018 semester hasn't opened yet, so cannot list it as a school I am attending.

Should I just include it as a "planned" course at my university I graduated from?
You should be able to list it as a spring 2018 planned course from Purdue. You'd have to add the college as one you've attended and then you can choose the timeframe, which would be the spring 2018 semester, and input the class as a planned class. Don't list it as being from your main university unless they actually have the course.

Does anyone know if for our planned/projected courses for fall 2017 or spring 2018 if for let's say I say I'm taking a gen ed in the spring but don't end up taking it when the times comes and it still says I'm taking the old gened on my app. Is that a huge deal? Thanks!

Does anyone know if for our planned/projected courses for fall 2017 or spring 2018 if for let's say I say I'm taking a gen ed in the spring but don't end up taking it when the times comes and it still says I'm taking the old gened on my app. Is that a huge deal? Thanks!

More than likely wouldn't be a problem as long as it's not a prereq for any of your schools. I feel like someone's asked that on a different thread so you might be able to search and find the answers from that.

I included an explanation statement my second and third tries about my poor grades in organic chemistry. I think it helped, no schools commented on the statement specifically but obviously K-State didn't hate it at least. Focus on how you improved and came back from whatever happened, don't place blame or make it into a sob story, and don't include an explanation statement if it's just going to draw attention to something that didn't need to be explained (e.g. one or two C's). Other than that, if it's a well-written statement I think it can only help you. If you search the forum for "explanation statement", there are a bunch of past threads about them.

I included an explanation statement. I don't think it hurt, I'm not sure whether it helped.

As Lyra stated, don't include a statement to explain things that don't need explaining. For example, a couple of C's are not a big deal. If your grades show a strong upward trend--they speak for themselves and your early performance doesn't need explaining either. If you do decide that some aspect of your application warrants explanation then I recommend having someone read it over, keep things concise and mostly positive. Don't spend the bulk of the statement making excuses for or pointing out what you perceive to be weaknesses in your application.

Quick question for people who submitted applications. When you download your application, for each individual school in the submit tab, does it show parts of your transcript as unverified? I finalized all my transcripts and they were all verified by VMCAS but from summer 2015 to present it says unverified on certain semesters.

Quick question for people who submitted applications. When you download your application, for each individual school in the submit tab, does it show parts of your transcript as unverified? I finalized all my transcripts and they were all verified by VMCAS but from summer 2015 to present it says unverified on certain semesters.
Does it say verified for all of them under check status? If so, I'd probably call VMCAS and ask them what's up because it's a week out from the deadline and you want to make sure there aren't any problems

When our application gets verified, what GPAs should we be viewing as our science GPA and cumulative GPA?

The only thing that shows as unverified for me are the classes I haven't taken yet. But they will all say unverified until the application status says verified (on the page where you DL the pdfs...)

So I'm back with one more panicked, last minute question.

I received credit for 2 courses on the basis of my ACT score and it is listed on my transcript as "advanced standing" with a grade of P. For transcript entry, I would give them a grade of "Cr" and mark them when asked about "additional exams other than AP", correct? It doesn't explicitly say that it is test credit, just advanced standing.

It's probably obvious, but I'm neurotic and kinda stressed. I've had my application ready to send for 2 weeks and one of my evaluators keeps making me resend eLOR requests because of alleged "technical problems". :smack: I just keep staring at this thing and inventing problems with it. It's going in tomorrow though!

Last edited:

I received credit for 2 courses on the basis of my ACT score and it is listed on my transcript as "advanced standing" with a grade of P. For transcript entry, I would give them a grade of "Cr" and mark them when asked about "additional exams other than AP", correct? It doesn't explicitly say that it is test credit, just advanced standing.

It's probably obvious, but I'm neurotic and kinda stressed. I've had my application ready to send for 2 weeks and one of my evaluators keeps making me resend eLOR requests because of alleged "technical problems". :smack: I just keep staring at this thing and inventing problems with it. It's going in tomorrow though!
No idea about the act thing, but maybe call VMCAS or some of your schools you're applying to and check. Advanced standing doesn't sound like actual credit and that you just got it waived and "other exams than ap" sounds more like Clep exams (and similar things) to me.
And if your evaluator keeps having problems, have them call VMCAS ASAP and see if VMCAS can help them out.

Thanks for your reply! I've been on hold with VMCAS all morning trying to figure out what to do with the credits. They have my transcripts so they were very helpful but somewhat unsure of how to handle it. One person I talked to said mark them as "other exams" and another said not to, but they all said that mislabeling them shouldn't result in undelivery if everything else is correct. I'm making the 4-hour drive down to my last evaluator's clinic tomorrow morning. She basically told me to come to her office and handle it myself. *sigh*

I just submitted. Fingers crossed that it works out. Thanks for the moral support!

I have the same situation (grade of P awarded for algebra based on ACT). I entered in VMCAS as written (P), and did not mark it under "other exams" (since they are simply listed as advanced standing on the transcript, and weren't based on a departmental exam). My transcript entry/credit for the class has always been verified without issue. Hope that helps c:

Everyone who has yet to submit you can take a breath. Due to the hurricanes VMCAS has extended their deadline until 09/29/17. There is also conformation NC, Oregon, Missouri, and UGA have extended their supplemental to match that deadline. However, check with your individual schools on if they are matching that deadline. Submit ASAP though if you can regardless. Goodluck!

Last edited:
So since we have some more time, I am considering adding in several more experiences. These are experiences that the school admin recommended that I include, but I have no idea about dates, hours, etc. Thoughts on how to enter these?

So since we have some more time, I am considering adding in several more experiences. These are experiences that the school admin recommended that I include, but I have no idea about dates, hours, etc. Thoughts on how to enter these?
What are the experiences? you'd just add them as new experiences keep in mind once you leave your edit box you can't go back to fix them even before you update schools

What are the experiences? you'd just add them as new experiences keep in mind once you leave your edit box you can't go back to fix them even before you update schools

I worked on several major films back in college (was a film student). These were paid positions, but I only worked temp, and so it ranges from 2-6 days of work. The main issue is I don't know dates, maybe only what year I did the work. I also don't want to lie about hours, but honestly can't remember how many days I worked for so it would be a guess. I wasn't going to include these, but the school admin counselor said I should to "round out" my personal character.

Everyone who has yet to submit you can take a breath. Due to the hurricanes VMCAS has extended their deadline until 09/29/17. There is also conformation NC state has extended their supplemental to match that deadline. However, check with your individual schools on if they are matching that deadline. Submit ASAP though if you can regardless. Goodluck!

Oregon is also extending their deadline to match VMCAS's extension.

I have the same situation (grade of P awarded for algebra based on ACT). I entered in VMCAS as written (P), and did not mark it under "other exams" (since they are simply listed as advanced standing on the transcript, and weren't based on a departmental exam). My transcript entry/credit for the class has always been verified without issue. Hope that helps c:

Thanks so much! I ended up not marking them so it's comforting to know that it was the right call. Did you still lump them in with your first semester? That was the other thing that the VMCAS folks couldn't reach a consensus on since my transcript essentially has two fall 2015 semesters. :smack: Thanks again for your help!!

This deadline extension is AMAZING.

Last edited:
I worked on several major films back in college (was a film student). These were paid positions, but I only worked temp, and so it ranges from 2-6 days of work. The main issue is I don't know dates, maybe only what year I did the work. I also don't want to lie about hours, but honestly can't remember how many days I worked for so it would be a guess. I wasn't going to include these, but the school admin counselor said I should to "round out" my personal character.
I would just say jan- jan of given year. Estimate if you put in a full day of work 8 hr at 4 days is a middle ground?

Just guesstimate to the best of your ability! I highly doubt schools would contact anyone to confirm, especially since it's not veterinary or animal experience.

Really surprised and relieved about the deadline extension--I had wondered if VMCAS would consider that, but didn't expect it to actually happen. CSU hasn't yet made any announcement about extending their supplemental to match though, so I'm probably going to submit in the next couple days anyway (plus A&M's TMDSAS is also due on the 29th and I still have a lot to do for it...)
Thanks so much! I ended up not marking them so it's comforting to know that it was the right call. Did you still lump them in with your first semester? That was the other thing that the VMCAS folks couldn't reach a consensus on since my transcript essentially has two fall 2015 semesters. :smack: Thanks again for your help!!

This deadline extension is AMAZING.

Yeah, I had just put them in with my college entry semester! (I have earlier pre-undergrad semesters from dual-credit CC courses in high school)

Got verified today, submitted on 9/8, felt the wave of jitters and excitement. All that's left is KSU getting my supplemental processed.

I also submitted on 9/8 so hoping to be verified today! Soooo anxious, the waiting game sucks

I also submitted on 9/8 so hoping to be verified today! Soooo anxious, the waiting game sucks
I hope you get verified soon too! Where all did you apply?