VMCVM c/o 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
IS alternate, but I'll be attending elsewhere:) Congrats everyone!!

Members don't see this ad.

OS alternate... trying to think positive. Congrats on everybody who got in!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations Class of 2020!!!! Welcome to the VMCVM Family. For those who are in the alternate list, don't lose hope just yet. You may never know how the pools move.

For those who got in, BREATHE! and PLEASE enjoy your summer and vacations before Vet School. It will be here before you know it. If any of you have questions, please let me know and ill try to find you an answer asap. Mostly around March, pay attention to your email. Every communication between the Admissions office and you will be through it :)

Be on the look out for prospective student day !

Reactions: 3 users
Alternate. Congrats everyone! Everyone else who interviewed and was not accepted is technically listed alternate right? Or are there rejections?

With VA I was told they don't reject anyone, so either you are accepted or on the waitlist.

Does anyone know if they start calling people off the waitlist before or after the 15th?

Does anyone know if they start calling people off the waitlist before or after the 15th?

I think that will depend on the speed that people accept/decline.

Has anyone logged into their account and been able to pay their deposit? Nothing shows up for me to do so, but it is quite possible the system has not updated at all yet.

Congrats to all who were accepted the first round!

OOS waitlist, I wish I knew my rank right now just so I could plan better. Should I be looking for a job? Should I be looking at potential housing? I just don't know.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone logged into their account and been able to pay their deposit? Nothing shows up for me to do so, but it is quite possible the system has not updated at all yet.

So at Ohio, there was a few days lapse between 'Get your letter with directions' and 'the stuff the directions tell you is actually online.' I haven't checked myself yet, but I'd give it a few days, then worry. :p

Congrats to all who were accepted the first round!

OOS waitlist, I wish I knew my rank right now just so I could plan better. Should I be looking for a job? Should I be looking at potential housing? I just don't know.

Do they not give alternatives their rank? I thought they said at the dinner that rank information would be provided. o_O

Do they not give alternatives their rank? I thought they said at the dinner that rank information would be provided. o_O

We can request our rank after April 15th. :( At this point, I just want to be out of limbo. Like, if I'm spot 100 out of 200 potential candidates for 36 to 40 out of state seats, just let me know now so I can start moving forward with retaking the GRE, getting more clinical experience, and applying for jobs that will allow me to reapply to vet school. It makes the difference between being eligible for a contract research position and working at Starbucks.

Members don't see this ad :)
We can request our rank after April 15th. :( At this point, I just want to be out of limbo. Like, if I'm spot 100 out of 200 potential candidates for 36 to 40 out of state seats, just let me know now so I can start moving forward with retaking the GRE, getting more clinical experience, and applying for jobs that will allow me to reapply to vet school. It makes the difference between being eligible for a contract research position and working at Starbucks.
I know right? Why have us wait until mid-April?

Oh, I see. Being in limbo sucks. I'm sorry.

Oh, I see. Being in limbo sucks. I'm sorry.

Thanks. Generally planning to reapply helped me not feel completely crushed but... I just want to know. I have next steps forward, but... yeah. Like, the old company I worked for has an office within an hour of me, I could network my way into a potential part time job, but don't want to burn that professional bridge if it turns out I suddenly am moving in August.

Congrats on getting in, though! Please know that I am this color :luck: happy/envious for you! I demand that you enjoy your summer before starting. DEMAND IT YO!

Reactions: 1 users
So it looks like I will be incessantly checking my email from now until April 15th.....this is going to be a long Spring! Congrats on all those that did receive an acceptance!! So happy for you all! For those of us waiting the best thing to remember is that everything happens for a reason!

So, not to jump the gun or anything, but has anyone started to look at places to live? I think Dr. Pelzer mentioned at the dinner that an e-mail would be sent out later with a list of current DVM students looking to take on a roommate but... I don't want to leave my living situation to last minute and my current lease runs out in July. Does anyone have statistics on how expensive it is to live in Blacksburg vs. Christiansburg? Or how easy it is to find housing for the first year?

It's getting a bit more crowded because enrollment at the college campus has been increased and more and more people therefore have to live off campus. Overall it's pretty affordable though. If you don't mind driving an extra 5-10 min to school, I would suggest looking at places in Christiansburg because they tend to be cheaper. And you can just hop on 460 and drive into Bburg.

do you generally need a car as a vet student, does everyone seem to have one?

do you generally need a car as a vet student, does everyone seem to have one?
I heard that sometimes labs/classes are off campus, and although some people will carpool, you won't have to rely on someone to get you there.

The bus system is pretty good too, so if you live near campus that is definitely an option. Fourth year might be dicey though when you are on call for emergencies and that like.

Does anyone know how many applicants were accepted off the wait list for OOS last year or any previous years?

Giving up my IS seat soon, so hopefully any waiting ISers here will get good news! No idea if any offers will actually go out before April 15th, though.

Does anyone know how many applicants were accepted off the wait list for OOS last year or any previous years?

I was 1st on the OOS waiting list last year and I was never called...

Although Joyce Massie said it was an unusual year bc the year before there were several offers given to oos applicants on alternate list...so, it's pretty unpredictable. :(

Welcome all! I'm a current 2nd year- if you have any questions, want advice on picking schools or anything else, I'm happy to weigh in. I was at the interview dinner on Friday night and am an ambassador, but am willing to give my honest opinion on things ;) I think in my year they made it out to 43rd on the OOS wait list.

Welcome all! I'm a current 2nd year- if you have any questions, want advice on picking schools or anything else, I'm happy to weigh in. I was at the interview dinner on Friday night and am an ambassador, but am willing to give my honest opinion on things ;) I think in my year they made it out to 43rd on the OOS wait list.

From creeping on your past posts, you seem to be a food animal tracker - do you know anything about the small animal track? Do you think the small animal trackers get a decent amount of hands-on experience? Also, how are the scholarships/financial aid at VMCVM? Thank you! :p

Just FYI, a Facebook group has been started ("Virginia-Maryland Regional College Of Veterinary Medicine Class Of 2020") for anyone who'd like to join!

I wish the accepted students day wasn't so close to the decision deadline...

Could a current VMRCVM student talk about the quantity/frequency/amount of possible scholarships available as a student here?

Received confirmation that my spot is officially given up. I think VT sends out invites to waitlisters shortly after someone with a seat declines. Hopefully someone here gets it!
Thank you!!!!!! Are you IS or OOS? Good luck at your school!

Can any current VT vet students comment on the opportunities to focus on wildlife medicine at Tech? Thanks in advance!

Hey ya'll I have a couple questions for any current students:
1) What is the dress code like?
2) Can anyone tell me how large the equine caseload is the school sees each year?
3) How do you feel about the area of Blacksburg?
4) Is there any required technology like a specific laptop or iPad?
5) How about books - are books typically required/beneficial in your courses each semester?
6) What are your favorite and least favorite things about the VMRCVM program?
Sorry I've just been compiling random questions in my head these past couple weeks! I'll really appreciate anyone who takes the time to respond :)!

I never made it off the interview wait-list so I decided to apply to the MPH program. I want to do both, maybe this isn't the exact order that I had planned, but....I was accepted and my concentration is Infectious Disease!

Are any of you getting a dual MPH/DVM degree?

Hey ya'll I have a couple questions for any current students:
1) What is the dress code like?
2) Can anyone tell me how large the equine caseload is the school sees each year?
3) How do you feel about the area of Blacksburg?
4) Is there any required technology like a specific laptop or iPad?
5) How about books - are books typically required/beneficial in your courses each semester?
6) What are your favorite and least favorite things about the VMRCVM program?
Sorry I've just been compiling random questions in my head these past couple weeks! I'll really appreciate anyone who takes the time to respond :)!

Hey! I'm a current first year, so I'll throw in my 2 cents.

1) Dress code is basically...not workout clothes. They don't want us wearing gym shorts, sweat pants, tank tops...or for girls, yoga pants (leggings/tights are ok, I guess). If you want to wear a t-shirt and shorts, or a t-shirt and jeans that's ok. If you do commit some type of dress code violation, I would bet that you had to go out of your way to do it, haha.
2) Not sure about this one, because I'm SA. They do, however, have weekly equine rounds for the equine club here on campus. We also have the Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center (not on campus), so I'm sure there are many opportunities there as well.
3) Blacksburg is great. Everything you need is close to Virginia Tech. So if you're on campus, you don't need a car. Buses go everywhere. The neighboring town, Christiansburg, has a lot of shopping centers and stuff.
4) Having a laptop OR an iPad will make your life wayyyyy easier. I am not totally sure it's actually a written requirement somewhere, but I can't imagine being without one. The only instance where we HAD to have a laptop was in semester 1 histology, where the midterm and final were accessible only on-line while we had to be physically present inside the class. I'm sure the teacher would have made some accommodation for you if you didn't have one, though.
5) Books are like 90% optional. For the most part, they are used as an additional resource. The professors will tell you on the first day if the text is "required."
6) Favorite thing...the teachers 150% truly care about you learning the material, and are also really passionate about what they do. They love this stuff. My least-favorite thing...I don't think Blacksburg is known for having the greatest small animal emergency caseload...but they are planning to expand their small animal emergency department sometime in the near future. This is the area I want to focus on so that's welcome news!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey y'all I have accepted an offer to another school and will be giving up my IS seat (MD resident), so hopefully someone here gets it!!

For the MPH program, do I apply before I start vet school or when I am in it? Does it matter?

I had an odd dream last night. In the dream, my cat was wearing a VT vet school sweatshirt. Is this a sign or an I going insane. Its probably the latter. Still waiting on the waitlist

For the MPH program, do I apply before I start vet school or when I am in it? Does it matter?

You can apply during first year and still be on track. You can apply later than that, but you'll be sticking around past your 4 years of vet school.

Anyone on here going to accepted students day next week?

Hey guys finally decided on a school and will be declining my OOS seat for Virginia, hope someone gets an email tomorrow!

Just accepted my OOS seat off the waitlist, keep your fingers crossed!!!

Relinquished my IS seat yesterday, so best of luck to anyone riding out the IS waitlist!

Just accepted my OOS seat off the waitlist, keep your fingers crossed!!!

Congrats! You must have got mixemedias seat!

Any one else on here thinking of giving up their OOS state seat soon??:rolleyes: