Waitlist c/o 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raywildcat

KSU CVM C/O 2026
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I couldn’t find a 2024 thread, so I figured I should start one for those of us who are placed on the alternate list this cycle! Schools are starting to release decisions so I wanted a space where we could update each other!

I’m an OOS alternate at K-State, unranked

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Yay! Thank you for starting this!

So far, OOS alternate at Mizzou, also unranked.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Just posting here to say I was on this thread heavily for the c/o 2022. Got off in mid-May and am a current 2nd year. Don’t give up hope yet!

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS Kansas alternate! Trying to stay hopeful.

OOS Kansas alternate
Also alternate for an interview at UF (though not sure if that counts lol)

Utah resident Washington state university waitlist

OOS Mizzou alternate also

NC State OOS waitlist, unranked (out of 53 total on the waitlist). Good luck everyone!

I couldn’t find a 2024 thread, so I figured I should start one for those of us who are placed on the alternate list this cycle! Schools are starting to release decisions so I wanted a space where we could update each other!

I’m an OOS alternate at K-State, unranked
Same...its quite disappointing especially since I interviewed at KSU for the second time. I hope they start releasing decisions soon but the email says April15th is when they would start calling out alternates.

Reactions: 1 user
OOS colorado state alternate

Same...its quite disappointing especially since I interviewed at KSU for the second time. I hope they start releasing decisions soon but the email says April15th is when they would start calling out alternates.

I know it’s really hard to not be disappointed, I took a day to be sad about it I’m just really hopeful there will be good movement on the waitlist for us OOS, sending you good vibes!!

I know it’s really hard to not be disappointed, I took a day to be sad about it I’m just really hopeful there will be good movement on the waitlist for us OOS, sending you good vibes!!
thanks, much appreciated, good luck to you too

Has there been any movement on waitlists yet or is it still too early? Mizzou OOS alternate

Members don't see this ad :)
So far I am #14 on the oos Ohio State waitlist

Last edited:
Has there been any movement on waitlists yet or is it still too early? Mizzou OOS alternate
I'm sure not all schools do this, but I think a lot of schools overaccept to some extent so they won't know how many seats are really taken/available until the April 15th deadline and therefore don't move their waitlists much or at all until around or after that date. I think it's especially important in the case of unranked waitlists, where they prefer to assess the entire confirmed student body first and then use that knowledge to pull from the waitlist accordingly, in favor of maximizing diversity. I don't know about Mizzou but NCSU specifically posted about this process in a previous cycle, so I know for sure I'll be waiting quite a while to see any movement :sour:

Me too! Good luck to you! I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of us.
Are you doing a file review?
Yes I will be filing a review. Good luck to you too! Are you doing one too? I heard from a 1st year at Logan only 3 people got called off the waitlist to attend the Logan campus last cycle. :(

Ohio State IS waitlist #16
UT Knoxville OOS waitlist unnumbered

Stats: 3.76 overall, 3.6 science, 4.0 last 30, 1100 vet experience

Needless to say - BUMMED

• Sad
Waitlisted at my dream school (also my in-state), NCSU. It's 20 people and unranked. I definitely wasn't expecting this... needless to say I've been sobbing on and off since I got the email yesterday :( Thankfully, I've been accepted to Tufts (also waitlisted at Cornell and waiting to hear from Purdue and UGA), so I know I'll get to go to vet school this year... but at a much higher financial cost. I thought I had a very strong application (and was feeling confident because of the positive responses from other schools), and I've spent 5 years tailoring my academic and professional careers specifically to NC State. There's a chance to get taken off the waitlist (2 years ago they took 14 in-state people off the waitlist), but it's going to be a long wait and I'm not hopeful. But I can't give up the dream!

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users
I just got my waitlist letter in the mail from WSU :nailbiting: I was worried for a bit since it took awhile to arrive! I also emailed the admissions department for an application evaluation just in case! the waiting game continues :dead:

Oh no that's not very many! When did those people hear back and did they do a file review? I do my file review next monday with Dr. Talcott so I'm interested to hear what she will say.
I am not sure when they heard back or if they did a file review, sorry. But I do know the majority of movement on waitlist is in April around the deadline. Is your file review inpreson? How does it work?

Waitlisted at my dream school (also my in-state), NCSU. It's 20 people and unranked. I definitely wasn't expecting this... needless to say I've been sobbing on and off since I got the email yesterday :( Thankfully, I've been accepted to Tufts (also waitlisted at Cornell and waiting to hear from Purdue and UGA), so I know I'll get to go to vet school this year... but at a much higher financial cost. I thought I had a very strong application (and was feeling confident because of the positive responses from other schools), and I've spent 5 years tailoring my academic and professional careers specifically to NC State. There's a chance to get taken off the waitlist (2 years ago they took 14 in-state people off the waitlist), but it's going to be a long wait and I'm not hopeful. But I can't give up the dream!

I’ve been avoiding this thread because I am in the same position as you with NCSU. I remember you posted your stats and they were so similar to mine, it gave me a lot of hope seeing the comments people gave you. I was absolutely devastated and took the whole weekend to be depressed AF because NCSU has been my goal and motivation since I was 12. Like you said, my entire application was tailored to them (I even have a crazy word doc with any piece of application advice I’ve ever received from their reps). I am still so shocked, as are all of my mentors/supporters. I’m rambling, but I just want you to know that I feel your pain now facing more than the in-state debt and that’s so scary!! Also, the unranked waitlist is terrifying. Hopefully at least 1/2 of us ISers get off and can live our dreams. My inbox is always open!

• Sad
I am not sure when they heard back or if they did a file review, sorry. But I do know the majority of movement on waitlist is in April around the deadline. Is your file review inpreson? How does it work?
Mine is over the phone. They just told me that she would call me on my cellphone at a like 4pm next Monday.
Oh oki. Are you also a Utah resident?

Does anyone know when on hold applications post interview at Penn might hear something?

Hi all! I am a first year applicant and waitlisted OOS to midwestern. The waitlist is unranked. Does anyone know anything about how they make there decisions and how much they move through the waitlist?? It’s my first choice for schools and really stressing!

Does anyone know when on hold applications post interview at Penn might hear something?

I was at the last wave of interview just this past Friday, 2/14, and Rob said that pretty much after my around of interview, they'll make decisions in regards to the people who they interviewed on that day as well as the ones on hold from previous ones. I'd imagine you should hear back regarding your decision (accepted, rejected, waitlisted) soon, hopefully next week! Best of luck!!

Waitlisted IS (MD) at VMCVM. It’s my first choice school, and only choice this cycle. I’m sad about it, but staying hopeful. At least I got this far!

Ohio State waitlist #27- I feel like that place on the waitlist is right on the border, so needless to say I feel like my future is at an ultimate standstill during this waiting period. I go back and forth between feeling hopeful and hopeless.

Hi everyone! After stalking sdn for the past week.. I decided to make an account lol. Thank you for making the 2024 waitlist page! I have been reading the 2023 one! This is my first time applying to vet school. I got waitlisted at virginia-maryland and purdue for OOS :( I have an interview next friday at michigan state so fingers crossed!

Reactions: 5 users
OOS waitlist at both Purdue and Florida

OOS waitlisted at UC Davis, Colorado State, Texas A&M, Washington State (Pullman campus) and Oregon State

OOS waitlisted at Oregon State, Purdue, and Mississippi State and removed myself from all 3. Good luck everyone!! :biglove:

Reactions: 3 users
IS waitlist at UF, unranked. I’m trying to stay positive!

IS waitlist at Texas A&M, really hoping I make it because it’s the only place I applied this first cycle!

This is something I absolutely never saw coming, but I am now waitlisted at 4 schools. OOS waitlist at UF, VAMD, Iowa, and now Illinois. Still waiting on a response from LMU. UF is my top choice and VAMD is a close second, but I’d be happy to get accepted to any of them. I’m so discouraged.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Last edited:
IS waitlisted at Mississippi State. Unranked.
Anyone know how many IS alternates MS State usually has? My vet friend that used to be on admin said it wasn’t very many a few years ago. I only know of 3 of us so far...

OOS waitlisted for Illinois - not super optimistic about my chances, but I’m trying to remind myself that I achieved my goal of getting one interview this year on my first application cycle!

IS waitlist at Texas A&M, really hoping I make it because it’s the only place I applied this first cycle!
You've got this! IS definitely takes priority over OOS, I heard Texas is releasing the ranking on Monday or Tuesday of this week.

OOS waitlist at Ohio and Oregon.. IS waitlist for Davis :///:

OOS waitlisted at Oregon State, Washington State and Iowa State.

Waitlisted OOS for Auburn.... anyone have any insight on this?

I'm on the OOS waitlist for Oregon State and on the Idaho resident waitlist for WSU.

I got an email on Monday that OSU ranked the top 25 on the waitlist of 200 people, and if I didn't get an email earlier, I wasn't on that list of the top 25. That prompted me to send an email to Tess Collins about just getting an evaluation of my application, and she responded with:

"Thank you for reaching out. You are currently on our non-resident alternate list, so your application was highly recommended for admission by the reviewer. There were no major areas of concern and the reviewer noted that your grades are very good, you have extensive and diverse animal experiences, numerous extracurricular activities, and solid veterinary experiences especially in large animal. I am attaching a general tip sheet for improving your application and it includes the averages and ranges for our out of state offers this cycle. I would say the one area you could improve upon would be your science GPA. Taking additional science courses and excelling in them will boost that GPA and continue to prepare you for a DVM program. I see that you will be finishing up your MS degree in Animal Sciences this spring, so your planned coursework gives you a good opportunity to do just that."

Which confused me..... I have a 4.0 in my MS while working full time for my University as a research technician. My science GPA is a 3.43 with the inclusion of my undergraduate classes, with only one C my final semester of UG. I basically took her first statement to be "the people who reviewed your application highly recommended we offer you a seat, but we just didn't for no particular reason." Which is very frustrating...

I basically took her first statement to be "the people who reviewed your application highly recommended we offer you a seat, but we just didn't for no particular reason."
I read it a little differently. She starts off with the positives because she knows she’s going to have to say something a little discouraging when she gets to discussing your science GPA. She sounds like she wants you to apply again, which is a good thing! It seems to me that she’s saying you’re a qualified candidate, but the applicant pool was really tough this year, and you might do better next year with further good grades in upper level science courses.

I'm on the OOS waitlist for Oregon State and on the Idaho resident waitlist for WSU.

I got an email on Monday that OSU ranked the top 25 on the waitlist of 200 people, and if I didn't get an email earlier, I wasn't on that list of the top 25. That prompted me to send an email to Tess Collins about just getting an evaluation of my application, and she responded with:

"Thank you for reaching out. You are currently on our non-resident alternate list, so your application was highly recommended for admission by the reviewer. There were no major areas of concern and the reviewer noted that your grades are very good, you have extensive and diverse animal experiences, numerous extracurricular activities, and solid veterinary experiences especially in large animal. I am attaching a general tip sheet for improving your application and it includes the averages and ranges for our out of state offers this cycle. I would say the one area you could improve upon would be your science GPA. Taking additional science courses and excelling in them will boost that GPA and continue to prepare you for a DVM program. I see that you will be finishing up your MS degree in Animal Sciences this spring, so your planned coursework gives you a good opportunity to do just that."

Which confused me..... I have a 4.0 in my MS while working full time for my University as a research technician. My science GPA is a 3.43 with the inclusion of my undergraduate classes, with only one C my final semester of UG. I basically took her first statement to be "the people who reviewed your application highly recommended we offer you a seat, but we just didn't for no particular reason." Which is very frustrating...

Considering they only accept about 3% of OOS applicants off the bat, making it on to their waitlist is still an accomplishment!! It sucks its not a straight acceptance, but you still made it further than a lot of people. And, it does sound like she is encouraging you to reapply if you don't make it off this year.

Last year, I had a 4.0 from my Masters and thousands of hours between employment, animal and vet experience but I was just straight rejected (from OSU and 8 other schools) primarily because my science/cumulative GPAs were below average. I really do understand the frustration :| However, this year, I came out with 3 acceptances, including from my in state. It all worked out in the end.

If you do end up needing to reapply, take this frustration and channel it into motivation to show them your growth and development through this process.

IS waitlisted at Mississippi State. Unranked.
Anyone know how many IS alternates MS State usually has? My vet friend that used to be on admin said it wasn’t very many a few years ago. I only know of 3 of us so far...
I am also IS waitlisted for Mississippi State. I know of one other person that also got waitlisted and I have a friend who was waitlisted last year and they told her that her rank was 20 and she never got a call. I know the admissions process has completely changed this year so I'm not sure how many of us they waitlisted or how many of us will even get pulled. I'm really really upset tbh.

I am also IS waitlisted for Mississippi State. I know of one other person that also got waitlisted and I have a friend who was waitlisted last year and they told her that her rank was 20 and she never got a call. I know the admissions process has completely changed this year so I'm not sure how many of us they waitlisted or how many of us will even get pulled. I'm really really upset tbh.
Was she IS or OOS?

Waitlisted at Purdue, Georgia, Cornell, and NC State. Thankfully I have one acceptance, but not going to lie.... I feel pretty secondrate at the moment :(

• Sad