This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

a_modern_prometheus

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Year in school: Post-Bacc (Finance Bacc)

Country/state of residence: WAMMI State

Schools to which you are applying:
Albany
BU
Case
Columbia
Creighton
Dartmouth
Drexel
Duke
EVMS
George Washington University Medical School
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Hofstra
Jefferson
Loyola
Mayo
New York Medical College
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Pitt
Quinnipiac
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Temple
Tufts
Tulane
U Miami
U of Cincinnati
University of Utah School Of Medicine
University of Washington
Vandy
Vermont
Wake
Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine

Cumulative GPA: 3.3

Science GPA: 3.4

MCAT Scores: 510

Research: 500 hrs 1st author (published, poster presented at conference, medical journal)

Volunteering (clinical): 50 hrs VA ER, 40 hrs hospice, 300hrs ER scribe

Non-clinical volunteering: 200hrs w/ local tech start ups, 10 hrs sports, 60 hrs hospital

Extracurricular activities: Resident Assistant (1 yr), Tutor (2.5 yrs), board member on school clubs

Employment history (2+ yrs w/ internships): Hedge Fund, Private Equity Fund, Corporate Finance, Angel Investing/Venture Capital, Real Estate Investing, Business Development (Technology)

Immediate family members in medicine? Y

Specialty of interest: Surgery

Shadowing experience: 150+ hrs (Neurosurgery, Pediatrics, Hospitalist, EM, Family Practice, General Surgery)

Completed a finance internship away every summer of university. Was unhappy with courses and took sciences courses throughout time in school due to interest. Decided after talking to people in many fields to consider medicine, while working, shadowed physicians and set upon pursuing medicine as the field showed to hold much more meaning than Wall Street. Worked for a year in finance then completed post-bacc courses, upward trend (~3.6 gpa) for post-bacc courses compared to uGPA (not passionate about coursework in business).

Deciding if scribing would be worth the time while waiting to apply next cycle. Other changes/things that could strengthen the application? General Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your list contains many state public schools that accept very few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. For example UC Davis matriculated only 1 non resident 2 years ago. So you can remove these schools:

OHSU

University of Minnesota Medical School

University of Illinois College of Medicine

University of Arizona College of Medicine

Arizona College of Medicine

Colorado Denver School of Medicine

UC Riverside School of Medicine

UC Davis School of Medicine

UC Irvine School of Medicine

U of Cincinnati

Ohio state

Northeastern Ohio

University of Kentucky College of Medicine

University of Louisville School of Medicine

Michigan State University College of Human Medicine

Wayne State University School of Medicine

Texas A&M Health Science Center College of Medicine

Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Paul L. Foster School of Medicine

Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine

University of Texas Medical Branch School of Medicine

Dell Medical School at The University of Texas at Austin

Baylor, Case and Mayo are far reaches with your stats. I suggest adding these schools instead:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
any new schools that open for 2019 (Roseman, Kaiser, Seton Hall, NOVA MD).
The GPA-MCAT grid shows you only have a 1/3 chance for a MD acceptance so it would be a good idea to apply to several DO schools. There will be a new one in Idaho soon.

Your list contains many state public schools that accept very few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. For example UC Davis matriculated only 1 non resident 2 years ago. So you can remove these schools:

OHSU

University of Minnesota Medical School

University of Illinois College of Medicine

University of Arizona College of Medicine

Arizona College of Medicine

Colorado Denver School of Medicine

UC Riverside School of Medicine

UC Davis School of Medicine

UC Irvine School of Medicine

U of Cincinnati

Ohio state

Northeastern Ohio

University of Kentucky College of Medicine

University of Louisville School of Medicine

Michigan State University College of Human Medicine

Wayne State University School of Medicine

Texas A&M Health Science Center College of Medicine

Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Paul L. Foster School of Medicine

Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine

University of Texas Medical Branch School of Medicine

Dell Medical School at The University of Texas at Austin

Baylor, Case and Mayo are far reaches with your stats. I suggest adding these schools instead:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
any new schools that open for 2019 (Roseman, Kaiser, Seton Hall, NOVA MD).
The GPA-MCAT grid shows you only have a 1/3 chance for a MD acceptance so it would be a good idea to apply to several DO schools. There will be a new one in Idaho soon.

Thank you for the feedback, list is updated. I am considering DO as well, still debating which of those schools to apply to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Year in school: Post-Bacc (Finance Bacc)

Country/state of residence: ID

Schools to which you are applying:
University of Utah School Of Medicine (Goal)
University of Washington (WAMMI)
U of Cincinnati
Loyola
Georgetown University School of Medicine
George Washington University Medical School
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane

Cumulative GPA: 3.4

Science GPA: 3.6

MCAT Scores: 510

Research: 1st author (published, poster presented at conference, medical journal)

Volunteering (clinical): 50 hrs VA ER, 40 hrs hospice

Non-clinical volunteering: 60hrs w/ local tech start ups, 10 hrs sports, 60 hrs hospital

Extracurricular activities: Resident Assistant (1 yr), Tutor (2.5 yrs), board member on school clubs

Employment history (2+ yrs w/ internships): Hedge Fund, Private Equity Fund, Corporate Finance, Angel Investing/Venture Capital, Real Estate Investing, Business Development (Technology)

Immediate family members in medicine? Y

Specialty of interest: Surgery

Shadowing experience: 150+ hrs (Neurosurgery, Pediatrics, Hospitalist, EM, Family Practice, General Surgery) w/ attendings from UUSOM

Family very involved in the business world, had been steered that direction when matriculating into university. Completed a finance internship away every summer of university. Was unhappy with courses and took sciences courses throughout time in school due to interest. Decided after talking to people in many fields to consider medicine, while working, shadowed physicians and set upon pursuing medicine showed to hold much more meaning than Wall Street. Worked for a year in finance then completed post-bacc courses, upward trend (~3.6 gpa) for post-bacc courses compared to uGPA (not passionate about coursework in business).

Deciding if scribing would be worth the time while waiting to apply next cycle. Other changes/things that could strengthen the application? General Thoughts?

So this is for next cycle correct?

The only thing that stands out tome is a lack of clinical hours. I do think scribing would be worth it in your case. I scribe now and it really is additionally an invaluable teaching experience, on top of the hours it racks up for you.

Other than that, I dont see many issues with your app. MCAT, GPAs are all kinda so-so, but I think an early app to a good range of schools gets you in. I'd add 5-8 or so DO also.

So this is for next cycle correct?

The only thing that stands out tome is a lack of clinical hours. I do think scribing would be worth it in your case. I scribe now and it really is additionally an invaluable teaching experience, on top of the hours it racks up for you.

Other than that, I dont see many issues with your app. MCAT, GPAs are all kinda so-so, but I think an early app to a good range of schools gets you in. I'd add 5-8 or so DO also.

Yes, this would be for next cycle. Just finished up some of these things and thought it would be a rush to apply this cycle. Thank you for the feedback, anything else you might add in?

Yes, this would be for next cycle. Just finished up some of these things and thought it would be a rush to apply this cycle. Thank you for the feedback, anything else you might add in?

I think that's really wise to wait and apply early. I think getting a clinical job would do a lot for you, maybe some more volunteering, but you're otherwise in good shape.