This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sadgirl304

Reaction score
Hello, I am currently a junior majoring in Biology with a minor in Chemistry and I am interested in going to dental school. My GPA is very low compared to others; my cGPA is 3.28 and my sGPA is 3.27. I don't have much volunteer hours in the dental field but I have been shadowing a dentist. My grades do show an upwards trend but I realize my GPA is still on the low side, with this semester I hope to bring it up to at least a 3.3. The dentist I am shadowing encouraged me to still apply my junior year because I can always reapply. Right now, my plan is to take the DAT and then apply by June. My question is, how late can I take the DAT while still being on time to apply by June. I understand that it takes 2-4 weeks to get the DAT results but would taking it in May be too late? I don't want to apply without my DAT scores because my application is not as strong but I also don't want to be behind. Many people say to take the DAT in April in order to have everything ready by May but I would love more time to study. Would May be too late or should I play it safe and take it in April. And as for applications, would doing a gap year be better? My GPA is on the low side but I've taken mainly upper level science courses and not too many liberal arts classes. I also have an upwards trend, I started with 2.46 my first semester but have pulled my grades up to where I get 3.5 - 4.0 GPA the semesters after. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I am currently a junior majoring in Biology with a minor in Chemistry and I am interested in going to dental school. My GPA is very low compared to others; my cGPA is 3.28 and my sGPA is 3.27. I don't have much volunteer hours in the dental field but I have been shadowing a dentist. My grades do show an upwards trend but I realize my GPA is still on the low side, with this semester I hope to bring it up to at least a 3.3. The dentist I am shadowing encouraged me to still apply my junior year because I can always reapply. Right now, my plan is to take the DAT and then apply by June. My question is, how late can I take the DAT while still being on time to apply by June. I understand that it takes 2-4 weeks to get the DAT results but would taking it in May be too late? I don't want to apply without my DAT scores because my application is not as strong but I also don't want to be behind. Many people say to take the DAT in April in order to have everything ready by May but I would love more time to study. Would May be too late or should I play it safe and take it in April. And as for applications, would doing a gap year be better? My GPA is on the low side but I've taken mainly upper level science courses and not too many liberal arts classes. I also have an upwards trend, I started with 2.46 my first semester but have pulled my grades up to where I get 3.5 - 4.0 GPA the semesters after. Thank you!
you get a preliminary score the day you take the DAT
it is extremely rare for the confirmed score to differ from the preliminary score

I’d start studying now for ~3 months to try and take the DAT mid to late May. As long as you apply within the first month that applications are open, you’re early.