Washington State University c/o 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DONE! The last lagging bit is DONE, submitted the supplemental! Good luck to you all!
Yay!! Good luck to you as well! :happy:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
DONE! The last lagging bit is DONE, submitted the supplemental! Good luck to you all!

Awesome!!! Congrats on submitting!! You've inspired me to at least look at the essays hahaha.

Just submitted my supplemental application. We hear back in December about interviews, correct? :whistle:

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiosity, can anyone tell me if WSU does class rank and all?

Out of curiosity, can anyone tell me if WSU does class rank and all?
They do rank students, but you have to ask what your rank is. They do not tell you otherwise. We don’t have GPAs so that’s the only way to compare us. But it’s a load of crap tbh because the top like 50% has very little spread overall. So don’t worry about class rank :)

Reactions: 1 user
They do rank students, but you have to ask what your rank is. They do not tell you otherwise. We don’t have GPAs so that’s the only way to compare us. But it’s a load of crap tbh because the top like 50% has very little spread overall. So don’t worry about class rank :)
Great, I was hoping to hear that. Thanks!

Bouncing off of the rank question asked earlier; does not having a GPA/being in a S/F grading system place any disadvantage(s) for future internships/residency programs if someone wants to pursue specializing? I apologize if this has been asked before!

Bouncing off of the rank question asked earlier; does not having a GPA/being in a S/F grading system place any disadvantage(s) for future internships/residency programs if someone wants to pursue specializing? I apologize if this has been asked before!

No because you still have a class rank. Also as you will learn specializing anymore is alot more about the rest of your application and who you know with the class rank/gpa being of smaller consideration.

At WSU specifically since we have the combined program I've been told that only the 3rd year class rank is reported for VIRMP since it's the only accurate representation of you vs the whole class as that's when everyone is on the same campus. Caiter can correct me if I'm wrong since shes a current 4th year. Essentially you get a new class rank every year if you're on Pullman campus since MT joins in year 2 and UT in year 3. If that makes sense.

Reactions: 2 users
No because you still have a class rank. Also as you will learn specializing anymore is alot more about the rest of your application and who you know with the class rank/gpa being of smaller consideration.

At WSU specifically since we have the combined program I've been told that only the 3rd year class rank is reported for VIRMP since it's the only accurate representation of you vs the whole class as that's when everyone is on the same campus. Caiter can correct me if I'm wrong since shes a current 4th year. Essentially you get a new class rank every year if you're on Pullman campus since MT joins in year 2 and UT in year 3. If that makes sense.
Thank you for the wonderfully informative reply! :D

No GPA? I was not aware of this, how are students evaluated?

No GPA? I was not aware of this, how are students evaluated?
You still get a percentage on exams and there's a giant spread sheet that exists in administration with everyone's test scores to determine class rank. All core classes have a cut off of what they consider is a minimum standard of performance for the pass/marginal/fail system- for example all my classes this fall require a 78% average to pass the courses.

You still get a percentage on exams and there's a giant spread sheet that exists in administration with everyone's test scores to determine class rank. All core classes have a cut off of what they consider is a minimum standard of performance for the pass/marginal/fail system- for example all my classes this fall require a 78% average to pass the courses.

So are you told how you performed on each exam?

Members don't see this ad :)
So are you told how you performed on each exam?
Yep. Only exams I didnt get back were some spring finals cause summer and all but just looked to see if I passed on my transcript. I could have emailed and gotten my grade if I had wanted. Overall it's like regular grade assignments you take an exam or quiz and get a percentage based on number right out of total points. The purpose of pass/fail is to learn the material and take the pressure and competitiveness amongst the class out of the equation to help create a more cohesive, collaborative environment-actually learn material and not struggle over details just for the grade. You have to reach out as a student to even find out your class rank-some people go all of school without ever knowing. I could probably guess the top 3 people in my class but that doesnt matter to me, what matters is I'm passing and surviving. It also means I have a board game night with my friends or movie night even if I "should" be studying. I really enjoy the system and have no issues applying/receiving scholarships, externships etc.

I was waitlisted last year and am IS and they rank us and they will not tell you your rank at all, I’ve asked multiple times and they said no because they don’t want people to get so hang up on where they are on the list

Writing my "Why WSU?" essay is kind of making me sad, because it's such a great program and I have such a small chance of getting in. Aghhhh...

• Sad
Just popping in....
Applying next cycle, so not c/o 2024, but just wanted to say I totally love this thread! Good luck to everyone who applied this cycle :)

Reactions: 4 users
I was waitlisted last year and am IS and they rank us and they will not tell you your rank at all, I’ve asked multiple times and they said no because they don’t want people to get so hang up on where they are on the list
I was in the same boat as you. I wish we had been ranked because at least then I could have made plans based on how likely I was to get off the list. Granted, people haven't gotten off the IS waitlist for several years now. Looking at class statistics, I don't see that changing. I hope I interview more than one place this time, as I don't want to get stuck on the waitlist again without hope.

I've heard instate interviews will be held in December this year. If that's the case, and the timeline is moved up one month, will we start getting news this month?

I've heard instate interviews will be held in December this year. If that's the case, and the timeline is moved up one month, will we start getting news this month?

Did you hear anything about out-of-state interviews?

I think they have been moved up as well. It seems like they may interview in January at the same time that instate was interviewing last cycle. It seems like everyone has been moved up a month.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-10-09-06-43-59.png
    Screenshot_2019-10-09-06-43-59.png
    161.8 KB · Views: 151

Yes we can hear this month or early November but probably more likely middle of this month

Out of state interviews won’t be till middle of Jan so you probably won’t hear till November to early December

This was sent out by the WSU Pre-Vet advisor today. Looks like there's been a schedule change :arghh:

unnamed.jpg

This was sent out by the WSU Pre-Vet advisor today. Looks like there's been a schedule change :arghh:

View attachment 282894
They did this last time they were planning to have interviews for IS in early December, too. Maybe some year they’ll actually hit the goal :laugh:

On the bright side, in January it’ll be a new semester so you’re more likely to encounter cheery students than miserable ones studying for finals :p

View attachment 282894
Those look like last year's dates...
This is what they have on their website. They still have it moved to January but different dates compared to what you were emailed... I was really looking forward to December interviews :( haha

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191009-194039~2.png
    Screenshot_20191009-194039~2.png
    154.8 KB · Views: 130
Those look like last year's dates...
This is what they have on their website. They still have it moved to January but different dates compared to what you were emailed... I was really looking forward to December interviews :( haha
So was I! It would be so nice to know that soon!

Received an email earlier today that said my application was considered complete and is ready to be viewed by the admissions committee. :eek: Application changes will be made through the supplemental app portal and via email.

Reactions: 4 users
Received an email earlier today that said my application was considered complete and is ready to be viewed by the admissions committee. :eek: Application changes will be made through the supplemental app portal and via email.

Oh thank goodness I just got the same email. When I saw your post yesterday I was like oh snap I haven’t seen that yet!!

Got an email stating I needed to send in an academic Recc letter by the 25th to keep my application in the running. Has anyone had to do this in the past when you didn’t have a academic elor for vmcas

Got an email stating I needed to send in an academic Recc letter by the 25th to keep my application in the running. Has anyone had to do this in the past when you didn’t have a academic elor for vmcas
Their website specifically states you need an academic elor unless you've been out of school for 2+ years. I'm honestly suprised they even notified you to allow submission of one-most places your app would just be thrown out. Good luck!

Last edited:
WSU requires an academic letter unless you’ve been out of school for so many years. Honestly most schools will just not look at an application if they don’t meet the requirements for applying, including LOR, so that’s nice they’re letting you send one in now.

This time last year was when I got my interview notification for WSU at 4pm, mean we could be getting ours any day now! But also note interviews are a week later than last year probs won’t hear till next week! I’m also IS and OOS won’t probably hear till much later because my friend last year didn’t hear till December and she was OOS. Keep our fingers cross guys!

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
This time last year was when I got my interview notification for WSU at 4pm, mean we could be getting ours any day now! But also note interviews are a week later than last year probs won’t hear till next week! I’m also IS and OOS won’t probably hear till much later because my friend last year didn’t hear till December and she was OOS. Keep our fingers cross guys!
Did you get an email from the CVM today regarding submitting a scholarship application? I'm confused why I was on the email list so I'm wondering if second time applicants are on it.

Freaking out just waiting to hear! I was looking back at the notification from last year and for WICHE students it was Nov 9th last year and Nov 1st the year before. I am a WICHE student and would love to hear ANY TIME NOW AHHH

Just recently found this site and am very glad to have others in the same boat as me. I applied for Logan, UT IS is there a seperate thread for that or is it all the same because of the WIMU program? I got my application complete email 10/10. I have been so nervous lately waiting to hear back that I'm making myself sick. Good to know UT wont hear back until the end of this month so that helps my nerves a little bit.

Just recently found this site and am very glad to have others in the same boat as me. I applied for Logan, UT IS is there a seperate thread for that or is it all the same because of the WIMU program? I got my application complete email 10/10. I have been so nervous lately waiting to hear back that I'm making myself sick. Good to know UT wont hear back until the end of this month so that helps my nerves a little bit.
its the same!

Do you guys know if they send out emails to everyone? Do they send emails to the people they are interviewing and the people they aren't interviewing? I just think once the last week of November hits I'm going to be a hot mess freaking out that I haven't received anything. Also, just from reading past posts it looks like there a few people in this thread that have been through a cycle before. Did you guys get the chance to talk with Dr. Talcott about your application?

Do you guys know if they send out emails to everyone? Do they send emails to the people they are interviewing and the people they aren't interviewing? I just think once the last week of November hits I'm going to be a hot mess freaking out that I haven't received anything. Also, just from reading past posts it looks like there a few people in this thread that have been through a cycle before. Did you guys get the chance to talk with Dr. Talcott about your application?
They only send emails and portal updates to interviews and acceptances :) Rejections snd waitlists come via snail mail.

Are you IS or OOS? IS usually hears by then, but OOS hasn’t heard until mid to late December in many cycles.

For interviews, you receive an email saying if you're invited or not. It has a date that you RSVP to via a link. When you receive the email depends on what your residence status is. This past Wednesday was a year since I received my invite email for last cycle. I'm IS. They were sent earlier than expected. Next week is probably the earliest IS will hear back. I don't know about OOS or Utah and how their timeline may have changed. Montana is already receiving invites.
As for file reviews, you request them by a certain date after interviews. I'm not sure if they're offered to people if they didn't receive an interview. You can't request one if you were offered admission, as Talcott has a busy schedule.

They only send emails and portal updates to interviews and acceptances :) Rejections snd waitlists come via snail mail.

Are you IS or OOS? IS usually hears by then, but OOS hasn’t heard until mid to late December in many cycles.

IS Utah. From the picture someone posted a little while ago it looked like the last week of Nov is what they are shooting for with interview invites for us.

For interviews, you receive an email saying if you're invited or not. It has a date that you RSVP to via a link. When you receive the email depends on what your residence status is. This past Wednesday was a year since I received my invite email for last cycle. I'm IS. They were sent earlier than expected. Next week is probably the earliest IS will hear back. I don't know about OOS or Utah and how their timeline may have changed. Montana is already receiving invites.
As for file reviews, you request them by a certain date after interviews. I'm not sure if they're offered to people if they didn't receive an interview. You can't request one if you were offered admission, as Talcott has a busy schedule.

Dr. Talcott visited my campus a few months ago and I asked her some of those questions. I just wanted to see if someone here had gone through that part of the process. She said she only has a limited amount of spots for reviews so if someone doesnt make it through then they have to sign up asap. For Utah the odds are 1/3 so definitely not bad compared to a lot of schools, but it's hard to not stress.

Unrelated or Simi-related (stress):
I recently signed up for a stress relief/burn out help group on facebook with a doctor I worked with in the past it's a free webinar if anyone is interested Happy Vet free workshop for launch
I havent watched it myself yet, but I assume it should have some good insight and practical use even outside of the vet realm. I've been working in the industry for 7 years and sometime it can be brutal, but definitely rewarding.

We had a class with Talcott today and one of my friends asked her about interview invites. She said out of state probably won't hear anything back until mid December. I have had a class or meeting with all of the admissions people within the last week and they are working hard on applications. Just try to relax and not stress about it, and defiantly dont let it interfere with current classes.

We had a class with Talcott today and one of my friends asked her about interview invites. She said out of state probably won't hear anything back until mid December. I have had a class or meeting with all of the admissions people within the last week and they are working hard on applications. Just try to relax and not stress about it, and defiantly dont let it interfere with current classes.
Anything about WICHE or instate invites?? It seemed like they both went out last year before November 8th

Anything about WICHE or instate invites?? It seemed like they both went out last year before November 8th

When I applied in 2016 they were on this same interview schedule and I got my invitation over thanksgiving break.

Did you guys get copies of your VMCAS and supplemental applications? Dr. Talcott said to never rely on VMCAS to work properly because some people thought their application was completed and somehow parts of it got deleted upon submission and that info freaked me out. I just requested to have my VMCAS application pdf sent to me so I can make sure, but it's too late now if something didnt make it in. Has anyone here had trouble with the system before?

Did you guys get copies of your VMCAS and supplemental applications? Dr. Talcott said to never rely on VMCAS to work properly because some people thought their application was completed and somehow parts of it got deleted upon submission and that info freaked me out. I just requested to have my VMCAS application pdf sent to me so I can make sure, but it's too late now if something didnt make it in. Has anyone here had trouble with the system before?
VMCAS is notorious for having issues in the past-especially transcript entry when that service is offered. The PDF will reflect what was submitted. At this point yes it is too late as I know they are getting ready to send out decisions-when exactly I don't know. I work closely with some of the people on admissions and they were hard at work trying to get applications set together to get ready to send out interview decisions. I did see Dr. Talcott and one of the other main admissions people meeting at the end of last week. I recommend everyone to download their VMCAS PDF- I have gone back and used info I had put in it multiple times for various scholarships. I do know they were being kind enough to contact people if they were missing a LOR per earlier in this thread.

Try to relax. I know it sounds counter intuitive, but there's nothing that's going to change decisions at this point. Whatever information Dr. Talcott, Stacy or KT gives take the information as 100% truth. They are the ones who know all the inter workings behind admissions.

As a friendly reminder for all don't expect anything tomorrow because it's a university holiday! Try to be patient-remember they usually have over 1400 applications to shift through plus all the different categories!

Interviewing January 21st at 9:30! Just waiting to hear from the other 2 of my 4 schools.
Here come interviews! Good luck everyone!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Just got my in-state interview invite!!!! Interviewing Wednesday January 22nd! Hopefully 3rd time's the charm!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
Also just got my interview notification! January 21st! :)

Reactions: 6 users